Old 20th June 2007, 20:13   #1
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Microsoft begs people to update to Vista

http://apcmag.com/6458/dont_wait_for...eads_microsoft
-------------------------------

Microsoft has launched a "fact rich" program to help customers understand why they should "proceed with confidence" in rolling out Vista across all their PCs.

"Some customers may be waiting to adopt Windows Vista because they've heard rumors about device or application compatibility issues, or because they think they should wait for a service pack release," the company said in a newsletter.

"To help partners and customers get the real story, Microsoft has created a comprehensive set of fact-rich materials illustrating how Windows Vista is ready today and tomorrow."

Despite the "fact-rich" materials being designed for both "partners and customers", the link supplied by Microsoft goes to a website which is available only to computer makers who are prepared to sign up to a non-disclosure agreement.

Microsoft Australia has promised to look into whether it's possible to get a publicly disclosable set of materials.

Without knowing what's included in the fact-rich program, it's difficult to know why people should proceed with confidence.

What we do know, however, is that Vista service pack 1 is, in the company's own words, designed to address "deployment blockers and high impact issues", suggesting that until the release of SP1, you will have to contend with ... deployment blockers and high impact issues. Hardly the basis for proceeding with confidence.

The company put out a call for beta testers to start testing SP1 back on 23rd January -- before Vista was actually released to home users.

In that announcement, the company said that service pack 1 won't won't be released until the "second half of this year", which could mean December 31, and there have been informal suggestions that it may ship even later than that.

No wonder the company needs a "fact-rich program" to convince people why they should "proceed with confidence" -- its own announcements must have given plenty of business IT managers shaky legs.

As one Slashdot reader put it back in January: "If they have known 'high impact issues' they should delay initial release one more time. This is supposed to be a stable commercial product."

SP1 is no minor update. Although Microsoft won't officially comment on its contents, we do know that Microsoft is at some point going to provide a complete replacement for the Windows kernel, moving from version 6.0 to 6.1 -- the same kernel found in Windows Server 2008 (codenamed Longhorn).

Microsoft's "fact rich" program announcement coincided with an embarrassing double-backflip today on its policy banning users from running home versions of Vista under virtual machines like VMware. It had planned to loosen the reigns, but pulled the announcement at the last moment.
-----------------------------------------------------

WUuahahahahaaa!

A lot of people should know by now and it shows. Wait for the first Service Pack.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 03:55   #2
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

We're going to have to wait for vista SP2, at this rate.

The more people that hear the "wait for the first service pack" adage, the more likely Microsoft rushes the first one.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 12:59   #3
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

or better SP3.
SP3 to get SP2 to work properly, which is needed to run SP1.

That's why I hate MICROSOFT, WINDOWS and VISTA!
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 13:50   #4
zootm
Forum King

There's really not all that much in Vista that I'm aware of that requires a service pack update, but Shakey's point is a good one; if people wait, it might just contribute to the first service pack being rushed.

Quote:
Originally posted by P$ycHoâ„¢
That's why I hate MICROSOFT, WINDOWS and VISTA!
Not to mention APPLE, NULLSOFT, NOVELL, RED HAT, CANONICAL, SUN, MOZILLA, and pretty much every other software developer under the sun, presumably? It's not like Microsoft are particularly unusual as far as commercial software development goes.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 14:10   #5
xzxzzx
Forum King

I don't see why people are flipping out about Vista. In actual fact, having just set up my mother's laptop, I can say that it was, by far, the fastest and easiest version I've ever set up.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 15:38   #6
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

but it eats Ram
Old 21st June 2007, 16:57   #7
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
but it eats Ram
No, it is USING the unused RAM. Why do you want free RAM sitting on your computer? When a process needs it, Vista gives it to the process, it doesn't just stake a claim on all the RAM and keep it forever.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 17:05   #8
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
You're fighting a losing battle here, P$ycHoâ„¢

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 19:01   #9
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Yeah. Also, What os do you use, P$ycHoâ„¢
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:55   #10
alex_gamer

i'm going to wait until i can upgrade my computer (700 MHZ CPU with around 300 MB of ram ftl)

the computer is never at fault for an error; a human is, though.
DO NOT PM me for tech support.
No matter what you're doing, use the right tool for the job!
alex_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:56   #11
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by Phyltre
No, it is USING the unused RAM. Why do you want free RAM sitting on your computer? When a process needs it, Vista gives it to the process, it doesn't just stake a claim on all the RAM and keep it forever.
That comment reminds me of web browser complaints.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:21   #12
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

the time needed for loading a map in Battlefield 2 with 1GB ram is about 3 mins longer with Vista than with XP. that's what i mean.it needs too much Ram for itself that the other programs have less.

@ Tuckerm:
main PC: P IV 1.7 ghz 11GB SDRam Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb)
Win XP SP2 build 2600 because many games don't work on Linux.

i gave my secondary HD with my Open SuSE 10.1 to a friend because he needed the Disk for a server.

on my P II with 350mhz and 256 mb ram i have win 98 SE

on my P I with 133mhz i have win 95 c because i need it for the driver of my scanner. i had 98 SE running on it, too.
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:46   #13
tuckerm
Forum Emo

If you hate Microsoft and have them on your computer(s), well, arn't you just the little hypocrite around here? That's your new name around here me thinks.
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:59   #14
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

|||||||||
VVVVVVVVV
Quote:

Win XP SP2 build 2600 because many games don't work on Linux.
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:21   #15
mikm
Major Dude

methinks that P$ycHoâ„¢'s hates Microsoft because bashing Microsoft is "cool".

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:45   #16
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
Microsoft is "cool".
ummh
not really
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:59   #17
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
the time needed for loading a map in Battlefield 2 with 1GB ram is about 3 mins longer with Vista than with XP. that's what i mean.it needs too much Ram for itself that the other programs have less.
My money would be on this not being a RAM issue, for what it's worth. Also your comment shows something of a misunderstanding about how memory management "works".

Also also I'd recommend going up to 2GB of RAM to play Battlefield 2 at all. I play it with 1GB on XP and it's a pain, I'd like to upgrade.

Old 22nd June 2007, 16:26   #18
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
not really
I don't think you understood that sentence correctly. He was saying "bashing Microsoft" is "cool", not "Microsoft is cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
My money would be on this not being a RAM issue, for what it's worth.
Likewise.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:40   #19
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
I don't think you understood that sentence correctly. He was saying "bashing Microsoft" is "cool", not "Microsoft is cool.
I don't think you understand what a 5th graders attempt to be witty looks like.

Granted, it pretty much was a:

Old 22nd June 2007, 21:57   #20
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
|||||||||
VVVVVVVVV
*tuckerm points out Wine
Old 22nd June 2007, 23:06   #21
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
*tuckerm points out Wine
Cedega has official support for BF2 (and a metric buttload of other games). It's not free, but last time i checked Windows wasn't free either.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 23:56   #22
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Cedega has official support for BF2 (and a metric buttload of other games). It's not free, but last time i checked Windows wasn't free either.
Honestly, vanilla Wine is getting better and better and Cedega, since the means of their fork meant they could not keep up with updates to Wine, are falling behind. I wouldn't be surprised if Wine could play BF2 reasonably pretty soon.

Worth nothing that for very technical reasons (I saw a good article on this one time, but I doubt I could summarise it without losing the meaning) that ATI cards don't work well with Wine's 3D acceleration, though. I'd be tempted to say that if you're determined enough to play games, to stick with Windows regardless for the time being anyway.

Old 23rd June 2007, 00:18   #23
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
I'd be tempted to say that if you're determined enough to play games, to stick with Windows regardless for the time being anyway.
I'm not going to argue with that. I mentioned cedega just to point out that just because a user likes to play games doesn't necessarily mean they NEED to run Windows.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:27   #24
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I don't think these comparisons are fair. Linux isn't meant to be a gamin platform. That's just not what it's for. You don't see anyone screaming about gaming support on the BSDs, do you? Why should an OS that is so similar be expected to play games? In any event, if I want to play a game, I turn on my Xbox.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 07:56   #25
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
If Vista wasn't ME 2.0, then maybe. But I just uninstalled Vista on my parent's computer and reinstalled XP because the begged for the old one. There is such a thing as too user-friendly, even from the novice stand point. They were sick of the non-stop errors, notifications and warnings.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 09:27   #26
rockouthippie
Banned

I think you're too hard on Vista. It does tend to nag at you. but I think it is less likely to let you mess your computer up.

Dual core support is better. Task management is better. Memory management is better. It wasn't designed to run in 256 megs though.

I bought the basic ... basic Vista.... Home edition upgrade at $100. I think it was worth $100. BTW, you don't need a qualifying product to "upgrade". Google it.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 09:27   #27
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
I'm not going to argue with that. I mentioned cedega just to point out that just because a user likes to play games doesn't necessarily mean they NEED to run Windows.
No, you're right of course. It's just that a copy of Windows can be worth the investment for gamers and it's really not a bad operating system.
Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
I don't think these comparisons are fair. Linux isn't meant to be a gamin platform. That's just not what it's for. You don't see anyone screaming about gaming support on the BSDs, do you? Why should an OS that is so similar be expected to play games? In any event, if I want to play a game, I turn on my Xbox.
I don't like this argument. Linux is a multipurpose system, and games are currently a weakness. The openness of the system means that there should be no use case which is necessarily what the platform is "meant" to be. It can be used for everything from embedded software in routers to running mixing workstations for audio production.

The BSDs are different because the current major BSD implementations have very specific, stated goals. There are a lot more Linux distributions, and the targets it aims at are wider in general.

Linux distributions don't need to be apologised for because of their poor game support; they'll get there in time.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
If Vista wasn't ME 2.0, then maybe.
It's not, and that is a terribly misleading catchphrase argument that means precisely nothing.
Quote:
They were sick of the non-stop errors, notifications and warnings.
You realise that if you use the system sensibly you barely ever get those errors, right? Just telling them to read the manual could've gotten rid of this. This sort of complaint is commonly found when people want to be able to piss all over their machine like they can with XP, and really they should never have been able to.

Old 23rd June 2007, 09:47   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:

You realise that if you use the system sensibly you barely ever get those errors, right?
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:43   #29
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Old 23rd June 2007, 11:19   #30
zootm
Forum King

Is that you crashing, P$ycHoâ„¢?

Old 23rd June 2007, 11:38   #31
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Quote:
You realise that if you use the system sensibly you barely ever get those errors, right?
Is taking it out of the box and turning it on sensible? Because that is all they did. Vista is pre-broke. Now, I guess myabe my parents should go to a class to learn what the Microsoft definition of sensible is then.

Old 23rd June 2007, 12:02   #32
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Is taking it out of the box and turning it on sensible? Because that is all they did. Vista is pre-broke. Now, I guess myabe my parents should go to a class to learn what the Microsoft definition of sensible is then.
Did it come with a bunch of pre-installed incompatible junk? I wouldn't put PC vendors past that, since it seems to be part of their business model.

Besides that, though, you shouldn't have to go past that prompt for anything other than installing programs system-wide and fiddling with system settings. Incompatible and poorly-written software is not Vista's fault.

Old 23rd June 2007, 16:21   #33
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Jeez, If I knew this would have been such a debate, I wouldn't of mentioned wine. I shoulda knowen better
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:22   #34
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
I shoulda knowen better[/size]
LOL WUT

Old 24th June 2007, 10:24   #35
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Jeez, If I knew this would have been such a debate, I wouldn't of mentioned wine. I shoulda knowen better
I don't think you really set this off, for what it's worth. Also welcome to the internet.

Old 24th June 2007, 15:00   #36
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

for what it's worth, my new laptop with vista pre-installed has worked flawlessly and quickly with all my software save one -- a vpm program that it won't run. Mileage can and will vary. Course I bought as fast and robust an off the shelf machine as was possible and though I've loaded it up with all my tools, it's relatively unfull of crap and spyware and weird ass device drivers so far. I'm not a gamer, either so I don't have my box carrying that weight. my other xp boxes which have been inherited by my 11-year-old are the neighborhood gamespot central and are sluggish and sometimes flaky as Hell.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 23:03   #37
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Reason to hate windows/microsoft?

Because there a bunch of sanctimonious shits! They spout of about 'Legal Software' blah blah blah and that people should not use illegal software especially un official versions of there software when if one go's to...

My Computer
C:\
Windows
Help
Tours
WindowsMediaPlayer
Audio

(or C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\WindowsMediaPlayer\Audio\Wav - to make it easier)...

Now open anyone of the wav files that you will find in that folder in notepad and scroll down to the bottom of the code that is displayed, Lo and Behold! What do you find?

This,
Quote:
LISTB INFOICRD 2000-04-06 Deepz0ne ISFT Sound Forge 4.5
What is this you may ask? Well to anyone who does know of Deepz0ne, they will know he is or was part of one of the best cracking crews ever 'Radium' and that line is inserted on any file that is worked on in Sound Forge 4.5 as 'Cracked' by Deepz0ne....

This means that Microsoft have used 'Cracked' software in the construction of files for there 'Commercial Release' of XP. That quote is extracted from my .wav file residing in the above named folder. That folder is installed to your drive 'WHEN' and 'ONLY WHEN' you first install your Microsoft XP operating system (I have as yet to check Vista but as Vista is basically XP in disguise then I suspect it will be the same)....

Proof then that they act 'Illegally' and 'Steal' other peoples work/programs and then 'Compile' that work into there own software....

Some may say So? It's the only one? But is it? This is the only one I know of - where there is one - there will be more, they just haven't been found yet...

But it means upon purchasing a copy of Microsoft windows Xp you are purchasing software that has content which has been made illegally....

BTW This is an old article of news really and some say deepz0ne reversed is En0z Peed supposedly the sound file contributor to XP (SRC - Tech Republic) this article (When Googled) turns up around 3k+ hits inc Slashdot, Tech Republic and others (Probably here now as well )...

But the thing is if they can use one - just one cracked program and then come across all sanctimonious la la with me? Well then they can go boil a cabbage cause I'll do the same to them, after all, Are they not condoning that I do that by putting those files there in the first place? and knowing that those files were made on illegal software?

Seems to me - Whats good for them is good for me....

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 23:32   #38
Sawg
Forum King

It's what I get trusting Dell, but it was for my parents and there was a 12% discount. Next time they are just getting a Mac.

Old 24th June 2007, 23:53   #39
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
I think that Vista is actually a substantial upgrade, specifically for crash reasons. Why? Because (in nearly every instance) it tells you what crashed, then looks online for what caused the error. It tells you if the problem comes from an outdated program, or Windows itself. And then it directs you either to an online article detailing possible solutions, or to the online support/forums of the offending program.

And when a third-party application freezes, Vista handles it by graying out that window and asking you if you want to close it--you can still minimize it, go to the desktop, and keep right on working. It never advances to general system lockups. My computer has yet to hard-lock for software reasons, but there were lockups due to sad excuses for sound card drivers in the first months.

I have yet to hear legitimate complaints about Vista that weren't traceable to incompatible software (most of which has long since been resolved), faulty or nonexistent drivers(which are now few and far between), UAC (which can be turned off) or insufficient RAM. None of these problems are insurmountable, none are directly Vista's fault. I would be willing to acknowledge the point about RAM if it hadn't become so cheap recently that 2GB is within virtually every budget. And at the end of the day, expecting a brand-new OS to run on an older computer at full speed isn't particularly reasonable. I initially ran Vista on a 1GB RAM system with no difficulty.

Now please don't take these preceding paragraphs to mean that I am some sort of Microsoft or Vista fanboy. I'd still be running XP right now if I hadn't gotten my copy of Vista Business free from an online promotional program. I just see it improving every day as third-party support reaches maturity.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 09:57   #40
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeggle
Now open anyone of the wav files that you will find in that folder in notepad and scroll down to the bottom of the code that is displayed, Lo and Behold! What do you find?
Wow, I guess because one of their sound guys used a cracked version of software, Microsoft should change their whole stance on people pirating their software! I had forgotten about their company-wide policy of pirating software!

Wait, they don't have one? What?

Seriously, that's an ironic tidbit, if anything. It's not any sort of sensible indictment of Microsoft, and it'd be foolish to think so.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News