Old 10th July 2002, 18:53   #41
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
ready for more

I'm not sure I made it very clear in one of my replies that I'm ready for more. I am officially ready for more coding work. SSC or non-trailer DMs are fine (it still would be cool to know how to add more variables to achieve a desired result by modifying a trailer DM. But it doesn't matter...I just want to work on some more coding!

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 10:35   #42
Nic01
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Nic01
Sorry for the delay... don't ask =þ

IV : Morph the Image

-----So you made a good lookin' preset... What's next?
-----NOTE : Work with a good BG that also nicely display morphing for this part. Simply add a good and FAST preset for that. Interleave with the buttons 4 steps from left works nicely too. White color, clear every frame, of course. Change the color to non-white color (Or a bright one) and add Bump for... umm... boundary tracking. Make sure it's set to bumpiest. Oh, and recommended code for bump :

Pixel :

x=0.5+cos(tx)*0.3;
y=0.5+sin(ty)*0.3;
tx=tx+Tx1;ty=ty+Ty1;

Beat : tx1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;ty1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;

(It just makes it move randomly)
(Oh, and setting the DM's grid size to w/10 × h/10 is recommended... Since you can't punch in w and h, calculate yourself)

-----Ready? Good! Type in "d=d*3" in the pixel section.
-It makes a simple movement (It's in DM, but who cares?)... but it can be made using Roto Blitter. Without the painstaking pixel-perfect setting, that is.

-----Fine, you want something un-Roto Blitter like. Note that this is quite a leap from the previous code...

Frame : t=t+0.1

Pixel : d=d/(1+cos(d*10-t)*0.2)

-There! A nice ripple!

Change pixel to :

d=d/(y+(2+sin(y*10+t)*0.1));

And you get a Y-axis ripple with distance to the top.

-----Dynamics? Why not!

Frame :

td=td+td1;
tr=tr+tr1;

Beat :

dd=rand(10)+1;
rr=rand(10)+1;
td1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;
tr1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;

Pixel :

d=d*(1+cos(d*dd+td)*0.1)*(1+sin(r*rr-tr)*0.1);

Yes, a lot like that "preset" DM, but hey, translating 2d trailing movements to 3d depth (Distance translated in pixel = depth) have no guilt in it.

Hmm, short edition today... Hopefully I'll continue tommorrow...

It's 2:34 AM here... Gonna sleep... *yawns* The comp needs some rest too...

BTW, if you want a "soft" interleave, add a slightly darker Clear Screen before it. The difference is clear when a bump goes on it.

[soon to leave, sirs]
Nic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2002, 05:12   #43
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

DM problems

I just got back from vacation last night, so I'll be more active in the forums now.

So what's all this you said about 2-D to 3-D? I've been looking at some webpages that have been talking about 2-D to 3-D stuff. So what exactly do you mean by your comments about 3-D?

For a while, you confused me with that thing about interleave. I accidentally created a very freaky UnConeD Whacko AVS Pack IV type-effect. I don't remember off the top of my head what the name of it was. But it's on the other computer. I'm not sure if I posted a preset I remixed with your DM in your preset shifting flower flow, but it reminded me of Austin Powers because of the colors.. "Yeah baby, yeah!"

I kind of want to start a thread with a subject "Yeah baby, yeah!!!" just to see how many people look to see what it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Brain-snap!!! I've gotten off-topic

Back to what I was saying...I was kind of thrown off for a while trying to figure out what you wanted me to start with for a preset, so I tried both, but I liked the ones I'm attaching in this zip file best.

I've been trying for some time to try to figure out some way to make a randomly-changing, smooth rotation. Perhaps you could hint at what sort of thing I'm supposed to do to get a randomly changing, controlled rotation in the DM. You'll see the problems right away as to which two I tried to get to rotate randomly.

I'm curious what's going to be on the menu next...in terms of coding. I'm hungry!

Guess that's all for now---thanks again for all the help
Attached Files
File Type: zip more dms.zip (1.4 KB, 185 views)

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
Old 31st July 2002, 08:09   #44
Nic01
Major Dude

CMountford, even with your hunger of coding, don't eat a programming tutorial book =)

To tell you the truth, non-trail DMs are not exactly the easiest to make... A lot of the good ones takes complicated coding (*Stares at Duo, Degnic, UnConeD, El-Vis, and others*), and the simple ones can be as good, but not as "Spectacular". I'll dig up good simple non-trail DM =) Maybe tommorrow, I'm laughing my @$$ off at Somethingawful.com. But then, there's time.

IV (Continued)

-----So you've made a (very) nice DM... Why not go a little simpler and try a simple rotozoomer!

-Code :
Frame : td=td+td1;tr=tr+tr1;
Beat : td1=rand(401)*0.001-0.2;tr1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;
Pixel : d=d*(2+sin(td));r=r+tr;

Turn on wrap, of course!

-So you made a rotozoomer... It's a classic effect! It doesn't quite replicate UnConeD's rotozoomer (On-Beat speed-ups, smooth rotation), but that can be done with more advanced coding. Not now, though.

-----Since we don't want simple stuffs...

-Code :
Frame : tx=tx+tx1;ty=ty+ty1;t=t+t1;
Beat : tx1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;ty1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25; t1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;
Pixel :
x1=x+sin(tx);
y1=y+sin(ty);
z=sin(x1*2)+cos(y1*2);
x=x*sin(z+cos(z*(6+sin(t/2.5)*5)));
y=y*cos(z+cos(z*(6+sin(t/2.5)*5)));

Another bulge-here-bulge there? Try this with the my recommended setting, then disable the interleave. Oh, and cranking the grid size up to 50x50 helps, too. What you have now is an overly shiny thing. Shiny, moves around, morphs... Something people can stare for hours =)
Why not use single D command, and use x and y? Using d makes an annoying trouble-area in the middle... we want good-looking preset... That troubled area is one ugly thing. We don't want ugly presets, do we!

Ok, enough bulge this and bulge that. Time for something that's a bit less... bulgy.

IVb - If Only I Master Coding...

-----As in, "If" Commands. That command is not exactly easy to use, but is quite friendly once you know it.

For starters, let's mirror!

-Code :

x=if(below(x,0),-x,x);

-This is just like Trans - Mirror - Mirrored Right side to left side.
-Switch around -x and x for different side (Or change Below with Above).
-You can also replace x with y! Just make sure it's all x or y, or you'll get a serious distortion.
-No, don't use d or r.
-You can add the line of code at the very end of the DM to replace a Mirror. I don't know if it's less system-intensive than mirror or not, but it sure gives a more professional look (Look ma! no mirrors!)
-Yes, you can use X and Y together.
-"0" is the position. In X and Y, it runs from -1 to 1 (0 is the center). In D, it runs from 0 to 1. In R, it runs from 0 to 2*pi.
-You can type in more coding after "-x" and "x". You can replace "-x" with "x" (So both sides have "x") and type in a whole coding in each space! Edited part of the left "x" will do its stuff on the left side. Same with other part.
-In the pharantheses, you can change it between "x" and "y" to choose the "division" point.
-When using "d" for the part left of "=", never mind about not doing it - Just make sure you don't use "d" or "r" as the division point. You can make one side zoom in and one side zoom out! Imagine the possibilities! Such thing will make peoples' head hurt though =)

All for now. "If" command yields a lot of possibilities once you know how to do it, so explanation of "If" alone might keep you occupied for some time =)

P.S. : Yes, you can make the division point dynamic! Make sure the "0" part is dynamic, not the "x" or "y" part.

[soon to leave, sirs]

Last edited by Nic01; 31st July 2002 at 09:10.
Old 6th August 2002, 18:31   #45
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

standing invitation

Just so you know, I may not always reply, but I'm always ready for more . So what's next?

How exactly do you make one side zoom in and the other side zoom out? Some of the things you mentioned pointed out the possibility, so is that something I'm supposed to figure out? Guess I'll try to figure it out again

Old 8th August 2002, 10:39   #46
Nic01
Major Dude

IVb - Continued

-So, how do you make one of those odd effects? (Note : This is a trailing DM. Use multiple particles just for test)

-Code :

d=if(below(x,0),d/1.01,d*1.01);

-There are many other possibilities... That's for you to figure out!
-You can also get a bit crafty :

-Code :

x=if(below(x,0),x/1.01,x*1.01)*if(above(y,0),1.01,0.99);
y=if(below(y,0),y*1.01,y/1.01)*if(above(x,0),1.01,0.99);

-What about using the IF command on non-trailing DMs?
-Say, what's a better place to start than a "Dance Hall" effect?

-Code :

FRAME :

tx=tx+tx1;
ty=ty+ty1;

BEAT :

tx1=rand(501)*0.001-0.25;
ty1=rand(251)*0.001-0.125;

PIXEL :

x=x/if(below(y,-0.2),-y+0.5,if(above(y,0.2),y+0.5,0.7))+tx;
y=y/if(below(y,-0.2),-y+0.5,if(above(y,0.2),y+0.5,0.7))+ty;

-It's recommended that you remove "+ty" at the end of the Y line - It makes the Dance Hall effect too weird...
-As you can see in the code, we're using If inside If. yes, you can do that!
-This is a very simple form of a Dance Hall... The more complicated ones are definately more than 2 lines of code.

Err, I'll stop for now. Today's edition is quite short, but I have a reason : Should I continue with SSCs (Making the preset look good), or just continue with DMs?

[soon to leave, sirs]
Old 12th August 2002, 05:16   #47
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

SSC

How about we try SSC for a while? Should be a little easier to understand because they're just graphs. Trying to figure out equations for movements seems much harder because they---well---*move*!

After we get some good superscopes maybe we can work on some much better DMs. (hopefully)

Thanks again for your help---I'm always ready for more!

Old 24th August 2002, 01:53   #48
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

more?

Superscope sounds good to me! Thanks

Old 24th August 2002, 02:48   #49
Xion(810)
Major Dude

I love the presets, but just one problem: See picture...many of your presets...15 to be exact...have this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp seetheline.bmp (89.7 KB, 197 views)
Xion(810) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2002, 03:30   #50
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

do you have my most recent presets

Yeah, a lot of my early presets were quite less than I would have hoped. The movement I repeated in a lot of my presets (if it's the one I think you're talking about) was quite a lot of trouble. My newer zip files should be much better quality presets (it stays kind of :P for a while, and then the quality IMO starts improving). Try looking at the presets in the .zip files after the quality of the presets starts going up. Don't forget to check out the questions that still haven't been quite answered (favorite gollum pictures is one question I have in mind) in my LOTR thread. Note that the newest version of Sauron's Eye is "Sauron's Fiery Eye.3" Use the link in my signature to find the thread---it's kind of buried underneath some of the newer threads.

Here's the names of some presets that you should have if you've downloaded some of my better presets: Drunken Smoking Flares, DiscoDaFunk, (I can't remember if I ever gave the newest file in my ancient thread called "What is this?!?")

My thread Final Draft AVS Pack turned out to be NOT the final draft, so there'll be a lot of newer presets in this thread.

I'll also attach a .zip file of just a quick selection of some of my favorite presets. I'm probably missing a few in this list (I've been messing around with NSIS and it kind of messed up some of my folders), but a lot of the newer-old ones should be in the .zip file (again...very newest most likely appear in this thread). I'm also including some of my messed up presets in development and experimentation stages---like the Hyperbola_____... series.

You still might see a little bit of that line problem you mentioned, but I think the new variety should calm things down a little bit. Oh, yeah. I recommend making a separate folder for the files in the attached zip file. That way you can add some of my other new zip files without having to look at some of my older "not so good" presets
Attached Files
File Type: zip newer old presets.zip (34.0 KB, 180 views)

Old 24th August 2002, 14:37   #51
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

The reason that line appears is because 'r' is a cyclic variable (it represents an angle). So when you apply a square root or something else that's non-linear, the cyclic property is lost.

UnConeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2002, 07:25   #52
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Steven, thanks for the explanation.

Nic01: Are there any more lessons planned? SSC sounds like a good idea to me. I'm ready anytime.

Old 29th September 2002, 00:49   #53
Nic01
Major Dude

Me and my odd tendencies... I'm extremely extremely extremely extremely sorry for the extremely long delay...

V : SUPERscopes!

Va - Introduction to "super"scopes

-----What? Superscopes? (SSC for short) Yes, the stuff that anyone can resort to if you're daunted by DMs. Yes, it's the stuff that makes ugly-looking presets that much better (IF you use it right).

-----Why Superscopes? It's useless to have kickass environment if the texture is crappy. Superscope can accomplish this task of creating good texture (when coupled with the right movements, of course).

-----Superscopes are a lot similiar in terms of coding with DMs, but there ARE differences...

-The variables x,y,v,i,w,h are the only preset variables.
-No d, no r. You can use them as custom variables though...
-...Or you can customize them to act a bit like d and r from DMs. That's a whole other story though...
-You determine the location of points, it's a whole new game!
-Two different points in different locations make a line if you choose to render in lines.
-V is... Err...
--Take out Render-Simple, put in oscillioscope mode. It gives the value of the height of the line (Think of it as a coordinate graph, 1/2 top is 1, 1/2 bottom is -1/2). V does the same thing, except that it's twice the height (It now reaches top and bottom of screen)
--Make sure the selection you have near bottom is set to waveform, not spectrum to make this work. The Spectrum have a different way of numbering it.

-i is...
--i have a different value among each point, a bit like V. This one, however, is linear (Yes, that's a good thing), and also is perhaps the most useful variable below x,y, and n (It's not a default variable, but required. More on that later).
--i goes from 0 to 1. The sequence is 0/n-1, 1/n-1, 2/n-1, ... , n-1/n-1.
---n-1/n-1? The numerator is n-1 because the first number is 0, not 1.
--So, what is it used for? Wait for a few moments.
--What is "n"? it's next.

-n is also an important variable. I didn't put it in the list for some odd reason...
--It determines the amount of the points the SSC have. The more, the more detailed. 100-500 should do until you get to the advanced SSCs...
--You should only need to define n in Init box until you get to advanced SSCs...

-w is width of screen in pixels, h is the height in pixels. It won't be much use except for advanced uses (How many times have I said that?)

-Enough talk, let's start!

-----All superscopes (Well, hopefully) career starts with the simplest and most basic line of code... (Put in n=100 in the Init box first, you won't need to change it for a while)

(Make sure you clean up the whole place first and set it to lines)

-PIXEL : x=-1+i*2;y=0;

--A line! It all starts here. A simple line. Of course, you'd want more!

-PIXEL : x=-1+i*2;y=v/2; (Or y=v*0.5)

--This one displays the music...just like Render-Simple!
---More definition?
---Here, x puts the dots from -1 (left side of screen) to 1 (right side of screen). i is multiplied by 2 to make it go all the way. This can be done with just 2 points, but those 100 points will be used later on. Sides, I want it to be convenient to you . y is the height of the dots, and it follows the same height as render-simple (halved because it goes with the REAL value!)
--n=w will make as detailed of a Render/Simple as you can.
--That, of course, shouldn't be enough to keep you satisfied. We always need more, do we!

--Making a circle takes pi. You can always do pi=3.14whateverwhateverwhatever on Init, but there's a shorter way!
---pi=acos(-1). A very indeginious equation (Yes, exagerated =P). It comes very close to pi!
---22/7 works as well, but acos(-1) goes closer. I doubt you'll need it to go THAT detailed though, so it's ok to use it.
---Now, put pi=acos(-1) on the Init section!

-Circle!
-PIXEL :x=sin(i*pi*2);y=cos(i*pi*2)
--Why sin and cos? well, it's a long discussion and explanation... The whole explanation is available in Atero's AVS Primer. (Available at atero.deviantart.com [look at gallery]. You can also search for it, and you can even ask him personally for it [don't expect good reply, though...]. It also have explanations for WAAAAY many other things too! A must for beginners, I'd say...) (No, that wasn't sponsored by Atero)
--If your window is not square, add /w*h at the end of the x line. Just simple resolution correction, don't worry
--You want a spiral? add *i to the end of both lines of code (I know they're at the same line, but let's just refer x as line 1 and y as line 2. You might want to change the number (As in, the non-variable number) inside the sin and cos to make more rotations done in the spiral. Just make sure the sin and cos numbers are the same. If the 2 are different, it makes interesting things, I admit (Also happens when there's no *i, too!)
--Circle... Not very exciting, isn't it?

-PIXEL :
x=sin(i*pi*2)*0.5+v*sin(i*pi*2)*0.25;
y=cos(i*pi*2)*0.5+v*cos(i*pi*2)*0.25;

-Aye, a music-detecting circle! The size is halved to show the whole thing better, and the v is quartered as a result first from halved for circle size, and halved for the usual halfing (hopefully you get what I mean).
-If you want a resolution-correction, get the whole x (Just the part after = and before ;, of course) in a pharantheses, and apply the res-correction)
-What? You don't care about music detection, and just want a cool stuff?

-BEAT : tx1=rand(201)*0.001-0.1;ty1=rand(201)*0.001-0.1; (You can use /1000 instead of *0.001. *0.001 is slightly faster, and it became a habit for me)
FRAME : tx=tx+tx1;ty=ty+ty1; (The variables can be anything, just like DMs, you should remember that. In fact, you can make the variable cusswords... but we AVS artists are civilized [Or at least I hope so], and it gets quite sore on the eyes when it comes to editing)
PIXEL : x=sin(i*pi*2)*0.25+sin(tx)*0.75;y=cos(i*pi*2)*0.25+sin(tY)*0.75;

--A circle that moves around! Yay!
--Res-correction should be put before the +sin(tx). If you want the place the circle is kept in to be square to, apply pharantheses to the whole thing and do the res-correction.
--To make it detect music too, add +v*sin(i*pi*2)*0.125 at the end of each line (Change sin to cos in y line)
--The movement is reduced to keep the circle in screen.
--If you had a spiral (refer to a previous section) and want it to rotate, you can add a random-on-beat number (Like tx-tx1 combo) and add it inside both sin and cosine. It doesn't do much in normal circles unless the number inside the sin and cosine are different.

--Remember "If" from the last section of DMs? You can also use it here. Since you can't use big whole numbers, you'll either have to use decimals or the line p=n*i-i in pixel section (p=p+1 in pixel with p=0 in frame section will also do, and I think it's faster). After adding that line, what "p" will signify is the number 1 up to n, and the number is the number of the point! (As in, point #1, point #2, etc). This way, you can make several dots floating around, all in 1 SSC! If you use lines, it gets quite ugly, but there's where colorcoding comes in...

I'll stop here. Next stop is colorcoding, then more scopes, then perhaps 3D scopes.

Hopefully this will hold till tommorrow...

[soon to leave, sirs]
Old 2nd October 2002, 22:30   #54
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

more?

I'm ready for more! That seemed fairly easy. Thanks for typing up all these lessons.

Old 24th October 2002, 04:57   #55
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Nic01: I saw you were in the forum, and I was just hoping for some more AVS guide stuff. Here's a preset I made on the laptop yesterday. I'll get my big computer hopefully back by tomorrow. I had a few presets on it I was debating whether to release or keep them secret and wait until I make them really cool. (oops! I just told you!)

Pls tell me which version of the preset you like best
Attached Files
File Type: zip all new presets-dm & ssc.zip (2.7 KB, 190 views)

Old 27th October 2002, 12:31   #56
jheriko
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to jheriko
Quote:
pi=acos(-1). A very indeginious equation (Yes, exagerated =P). It comes very close to pi!
cos(pi)=-1 so acos(-1)=pi, it gets as close to pi as your computer can get.

I expect you knew that but reading that 'tutorial' it sounded like you thought it was just a good approximation.

-- Jheriko

'Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers'
jheriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS > AVS Presets