Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins

View Poll Results: Would you like to see these skins featured to honor a pioneer in skinning?
Yes 16 88.89%
No 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th August 2003, 02:59   #1
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Combine The Old With The New.

A little history behind Fusion AMP

A long time ago, when Winamp was still a very young program (pre version 1.74), a young fellow by the name of Blayde made a skin for it. Not a big deal you might say, there are thousands of skins on Winamp.com. Well, you are right, there are thousands of skins on Winamp.com, but still, this was a big deal, for Winamp could NOT be skinned (yet) at that time. Blayde had to hack the Winamp.exe to put his skin on. You can find a sample of it here:
Historical Hacks

His skins became immensely popular, to the point a lot of people made modifications and color variations, expanded his skins with new windows (all Blayde ever skinned were the main windows, he never skinned the equalizer, Playlist or any other window), and all other kind of innovative things they could think of. It was even used as the base skin of XMMS. And all of that was quite accepted practice at the time, no talk of rips or copyright ever came up.

A few years ago, when Winamp did its last big site renewal, the database was started from scratch, and his skins disappeared from Winamp.com. Blayde, having disappeared from the skinning community, has never resubmitted them.

Over the past few weeks, I have used his main windows and used the equalizer, playlist and if there were, other windows from others who had updated his skins, and then I completed them to Winamp 2.9x standard, combining the old with the new. Then published them on Blayde’s own Winamp account.

Winamp 5 is approaching, combining the old, reliable Winamp 2 with some of the most popular features of the new Winamp 3. For the happy occasion, a new website is being prepared.

And now I come to the reason for this thread, do you think we should celebrate combining the old with the new by having his skins featured as the new site goes online?

Yes, I know, if he skinned them today, they would not be very special, just look at the buttons, very plain, anybody could do that. They would never gain the popularity they did if they had not been made when they were. But think about it, these skins were made before Winamp could be skinned. They stood out because of the simple fact that Blayde did the impossible.

Combine the old with the new, Winamp 2 and Winamp 3, Fusion AMP, main window only to fully 2.9X compatible, combine the old with the new.

For your comments and downloading pleasure, I have included the links:

Fusion AMPman

Fusion AMPdeck
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 03:18   #2
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
i vote yes! I remember boost. I am old!
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 03:20   #3
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
[edit]part removed... not relevant anymore[/edit]
I think that any classics should be remembered. Shakespeare's not all that good now, but we should still remember his work.

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 04:06   #4
BullGawD
Cool Guy.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimelennar
Shakespeare's not all that good now, but we should still remember his work.
Why yes. Why work to form a weighted, insightful opinion (either good or bad) when we can resort to a simple nostalgic, emotional evaluation in so much less time and with so much less work. *cough* Eloi. *cough*

Besides, if he weren't any good, could he still find work? I think not.

Wally, I've always felt funny (don't overreact - they just make me go "hmmm." ) about these fusion skins of yours, and I have definite misgivings about the future of winamp. That said, there is absolutely no reason for this skin not to be featured when the new site launches. I think the gesture would be a grand one made in the right direction. Just so long as it's not sat next to some god-awful metal piece-of-shit "future of winamp" skin.

...a blatant person.
BullGawD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 05:45   #5
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Sure, what the hell.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 07:30   #6
StillWater
Forum King

I think it's a nice idea to step away from the live-for-the-second, new!-new!-new!-everything-that's-not-new-is-forgotten-in-two-seconds kind of vibe vibe that is inherent in something like winamp.com, and pay a little bit of respect to the history of the whole winamp skinning thing that we now all love. I'm all for it.

Failing that, however, you should just feature one of my skins

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 11:04   #7
Mr_007
Banned

No i like Mr Jones remove this skin!
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 12:18   #8
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Mr Jones does not remove skins, Mr Jones removes posts. wildrose-wally removes skins.

Could you explain please why you not only want to see these skins featured, but also want them removed?
Old 13th August 2003, 12:39   #9
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
Mr Jones does not remove skins,

I wouldn't put money on that...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 13:16   #10
Mr_007
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
Mr Jones does not remove skins, Mr Jones removes posts. wildrose-wally removes skins.

Could you explain please why you not only want to see these skins featured, but also want them removed?
Please wildrose-wally remove this skin!
Old 13th August 2003, 13:17   #11
Mr_007
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
I wouldn't put money on that...
Mr Jones
Moderators work free?
Old 13th August 2003, 16:01   #12
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
Haha, this is funny.

I think it's a good idea. But maybe you could put something in the description or the staff review explaining the signifigance of the skins?

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 23:10   #13
Nini
skin domptrice
(Major Dudette)

Send a message via ICQ to Nini Send a message via AIM to Nini
yes! why not? but be prepared for comments like "this is s**t", I fear

The skin love webring
Nini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 23:13   #14
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Nini
yes! why not? but be prepared for comments like "this is s**t", I fear
or even better, from the real idiots.

"why is this skin getting special treatment? It doesn't even have the mini browser skinned! Let alone all the new stuff in 2.9. This is shit. the main part loks ok, but still, 0 stars for it getting such attention even though it is incomplete!"
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 17:50   #15
Krynis
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Krynis Send a message via AIM to Krynis Send a message via Yahoo to Krynis
great idea
Krynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 18:07   #16
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
i like it. gotta respect someone who skinned when it wasn't even supposed to be possible. but i agree with the people who say that there will be lots of bad comments about it. Unfortunately, some people don't care about what an accomplishment this was.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 18:09   #17
xenosomething
Major Dude

sounds like a good idea, and you should feature the base skin while your at it.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 21:50   #18
FooMonkey
Listens to Chicago!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to FooMonkey Send a message via AIM to FooMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to FooMonkey
Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Unfortunately, some people don't care about what an accomplishment this was.
That's why I suggest that something be put in the staff review or the description that states the signifigance. Right now there isn't anything that says that. I think if people actually knew that, they'd be less likely to mindlessly bash it.

[website](foomonkey)|(Winamp|DevArt)[skins]
I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis.
Jellby's Skiners' Atlas
FooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 14:54   #19
dimichan
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dimichan
Agreed with most here, it's a cool idea, but I think it would be better received with an explanation of the fact that it was a landmark that led up to the variety of skins now available BEING available for everyone's use.
dimichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 16:12   #20
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Staff review changed.
Old 16th August 2003, 17:10   #21
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Can I vote that only the fisrt one be featured? Especially if they have that "Also Avaliable" link to each other. If not, ultimately I still vote "yes," because I like to appreciate history like that, but I think the one that was actually the first is the most significant.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 17:49   #22
StillWater
Forum King

If I were you, I'd change the review header from "a little history behind Fusion Amp" to something like "this is what the first ever winamp skin looked like!"

I say that, because despite the lengthy review (and partly because it's lengthy) a whole heap of morons will not bother to read it, and will still post "wtf?! I don't get why this piece of s**t was featured!". It'll happen.

If you changed the header (I mean the bit in italics) to something which suggests the historical aspect of the skin more directly, you'll probably lessen the chance of these reviews. Though you'll probably still get some either way, knowing people

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 18:57   #23
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

OK, changed the short comment again, more changes will not be made anymore.

We have ways to deal with moron comments though.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins