Old 26th June 2009, 23:36   #961
rockouthippie
Banned

Somebody stole my bike last night. Took some bolt cutters and cut er' lose. This is more than a small niggling annoyance.

Thieves are pretty damned annoying.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:26   #962
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
the svn repositories at sourceforge are laaaaaame
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 01:51   #963
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
trying to find internet service while traveling

toll booths

driving west in the evening - sun in eyes the whole time

having thousands of bugs on the windshield while driving, especially into the sun

tarp straps/bungee cords that break on the first attempted use

suicidal deer on the road

Chicago traffic

sandwiches that won't stay together

shit that gets in cup-holder (gets in the way when you actually need to put a cup there)

people who spike the brakes in front of you just because they saw a cop parked somewhere (even though they weren't really speeding)

rain that's not heavy enough for intermittent wipers, but enough that you still need to use the wipers every once in a while

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 19:48   #964
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
French Toast

Not the food item, the brand-name for school uniforms for kids...My mom just mentioned that over the phone with the person she's talking to...

Of course I'm long gone from attending any school that requires a uniform, but I remember back when I had to wear uniforms and went with my mom to Target to get my little brother uniforms, I never did like looking French Toast brand, simply because of the name, even if I was a bit too old to wear it, I worried for the kids that could...Seriously; What clothing company names themselves after a fucking food? I would use their khaki pants and fashion myself a noose if I ever had to wear their shit when I was younger and I would do the same mercy act to the idiot who came up with the company name...

I despise the company that much just because of the fucking name...

French toast, the food, on the other hand, is fucking awesome, especially with butter, pancake syrup, and powered sugar...Mmmmmm

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 20:52   #965
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Mmmmmm

Fuck this place.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 10:09   #966
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Opera users. Because they are rebels, IE is for the man and Firefox is for the Wannabe's. So they are going to use a total POS but they are for real, because nobody uses it.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C |
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 10:52   #967
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Opera is for libertarians who want to look down upon the sheeple.

Fuck this place.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:37   #968
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Opera is for libertarians who want to look down upon the sheeple.
As a mostly-libertarian I am a proud every day user of IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Opera and Safari kind of sit there looking at me wondering why I bother to install them.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 02:10   #969
rockouthippie
Banned

I like Chrome when I can get away with it. It's really fast and simple. I think Firefox gets the most use, except on my netbook. Chrome's extra speed is noticeable.

Opera, Safari? I don't own a Mac. You can tell these weren't really written for Windoze.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:26   #970
TheStig

Opera started off as a pay-for Windows Browsers back when both Netscape and Internet Explore were already free. Most Opera users will claim that Opera had X feature first. Which is meaningless, as what features are included now matters more then when that feature was introduced.

At this point Operas has nothing that no other modern browsers doesn't have. It is a fourth place browser (behind IE, Firefox and Chrome) that its hardcore users refuse to let go of.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 16:28   #971
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Opera is a hell of a lot faster than any other browsers and doesn't have excessive memory leaks like FF did.

tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 17:47   #972
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
doesn't have excessive memory leaks like FF did.
Quote:
Originally posted by TheStig
At this point Opera has nothing that no other modern browsers don't have.
Quote:
Opera is a hell of a lot faster than any other browsers
This may be true on machines and connections where browsers are capable of making a noticeable differences, but after trying the "top 4" browsers on my desktop and Renee's laptop, on our typical home cable connection, I can find no noticeable difference in initial launch, page loading, and file downloads.

Besides, PC World places Chrome, Firefox, IE8, and even Safari over Opera in speed testing.

Old 15th August 2009, 19:05   #973
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Opera is a hell of a lot faster than any other browsers and doesn't have excessive memory leaks like FF did.
Yes, it's better than Firefox 2.

Fuck this place.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:45   #974
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStig
Opera started off as a pay-for Windows Browsers..... that its hardcore users refuse to let go of.
It wasn't any good when it wasn't free. Back then I used Nutscrape.

The only ones that have implemented HTML 5 are safari and firefox... to this point. In my book, that puts them ahead of the game.
Old 21st August 2009, 21:03   #975
Canon

I hate it when I'm eating a big sandwich and as I'm biting into it the contents shift around and fall out the back leaving a big stain on my pants.
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:17   #976
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Hold sandwich at back, biting force shifts contents towards resistance, resistance keeps stuff in sandwich. if it's a big sandwich use 2 hands so it doesn't come out the sides ether.
Napkins work well for really sloppy sandwiches.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:20   #977
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^excellent advice

except...

Don't let the "guys" see you holding a sandwich with a napkin. You'll never hear the end of it - better to wear it than regret it.

Old 22nd August 2009, 01:26   #978
fc*uk

i hate midi, though this guy is my new hero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUmJJ5iVd0

learned it from a foreigner because neither the manual nor the help forums could point out the "click this button" at 4:05.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 06:00   #979
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
holding a sandwich with a napkin.
I would let a paper towel slide Or you can eat it out of the a brown paper sack. Of course, if you get any on your hand, you need to fling it on the floor and wipe the rest on your jeans. In no case stick your pinkie out. Katsup or mustard that hits your shirt must be wiped up with a finger and eaten. Waste not. Want not. You really should have a dog to clean up the rest.
Old 14th October 2009, 05:05   #980
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Between the two schools I work at, there is a paved road that starts with about a dozen miles of pavement, then, with no intersection or other reason, about 80 feet of loose gravel over dirt in a random spot between enormous corn fields, then another few miles of pavement. This has been like that since before I started this school year and before I moved here, and no one seems to know why. There is no evidence that something runs under the road such as irrigation, electric, culvert, gas, etc. that would warrant needing to be dug up. One of these days I'm going to forget to slow down and I'll end up running myself off the road.

On days just after cleaning a vehicle, it usually rains, and it's almost impossible to get through there without making a mud mess, even at very slow speeds.

Old 15th October 2009, 08:02   #981
rockouthippie
Banned

Probably part of the economic stimulus package. Around here it isn't uncommon to rip up the street for no apparent reason.
Old 17th October 2009, 19:30   #982
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

I went to use the men's room at a local restaurant and they had BOTH the urinal and the commode in the lone stall. WTF is the point of that? Any other place would have put the urinal outside of the stall so that two people could use the facilities with the necessary privacy for both people.

What is the point of putting the urinal in the stall so that no one can use it while someone else can lock the stall door and take a dump and consequently prevent someone from using the urinal?
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 19:33   #983
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Sometimes teachers get so caught up teaching content that they forget to or don't have time to teach common sense...

Old 17th October 2009, 20:06   #984
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Sometimes I type something I know I shouldn't post, something that on reflection I don't know that I agree with. Differing opinions that I can't reconcile, constructive and destructive sides of the same coin. I annoy myself.
Old 17th October 2009, 20:47   #985
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Perhaps the forums need someone to sign up with a second account and get into a flame war with themselves, but without going so far as needing a ban on both accounts. That would be quite entertaining.

I believe drewbar, The Stig, and Sawg had an interesting thing going back and fourth once on the counting thread a while back.

Old 17th October 2009, 23:15   #986
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

My ISP. I'm getting pretty good speed tests and passable pings, and yet MOST OF THE INTERNET appears to be down, but only to me. Damn it.
Old 20th October 2009, 03:28   #987
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Why is it that I only notice that my fingernails or especially toenails need to be clipped at times where I'm too rushed with other things to do it and/or when I'm at a place and time where it would be quite inappropriate to do so?

Meanwhile, it is an extremely rare occasion such as tonight were I actually notice it at a time when I can clip the fuckers down.

Old 20th October 2009, 04:07   #988
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

When a situation calls for not wearing shoes how can anything be inappropriate?
Old 20th October 2009, 04:09   #989
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Sometimes I notice even with my shoes on, especially if I'm beginning to get a hole in the front of my sock.

Old 13th December 2009, 05:21   #990
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I fucking hate it when people bump a thread when they themselves were the last person that posted... just out of selfish boredom.

More seriously, I hate when fax machines act up. They take damn long to begin with, and then when everything's been scanned, the dialing is over, the transmission attempt is over and the machine finally prints a report (slowly I might add), you see that it didn't go through. Fuck. Why can't fax machines instead scan a normal 8.5x11" document to a .jpg or .pdf file, email, and have a common everyday email attachment printing program that prints exactly as it was scanned when the transmission is over? Somehow that idea never caught on... We're still stuck in the 1980s.

Old 13th December 2009, 06:54   #991
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Anything sent over the internet can be spammed, any address physical or virtual can be faked. Think of the problems fax-spam could cause.

...With a small adapter existing fax machines could be probably be linked a virtual fax network, with the benefits of assured delivery, automated retrys, multicasts, and stored digital copies. Kinda like skype but with fax. Fax could probably double as a printer too, with local messages.

Fax a doodle to your to toaster and SHAZZAM, stick figure toast.

Now if only we could get the internet to do housework, or pirate physical objects...
Old 13th December 2009, 13:18   #992
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Fax spam does exist, and is far more annoying than e-mail spam.

Fuck this place.
Old 13th December 2009, 17:36   #993
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yes, when it comes to spam, our fax machine DOES work. We get faxes from Wal*Mart often, and if we call to have them stopped, they start up again a few weeks later. Fucking waste of paper and toner... I'm very close to convincing the school to threaten litigation. Our school could use a piece of that pie.

Old 19th December 2009, 18:08   #994
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Power buttons that have to be held down for a long time to affect, like cellphones or my UPS. What arsehole came up with dual/multi-use power buttons anyway?
Old 21st December 2009, 02:51   #995
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Why the fucking hell does Ohio charge $13 just to drive across it?

Old 24th December 2009, 03:39   #996
rockouthippie
Banned

The Ohio turnpike always has been a toll road financed by tolls. It's been that way since before either of us were born.

The big problem with toll roads these days is that many states are selling taxpayer financed public freeway to private corporations and the deals seem to be sweetheart for the purchasers, and literally highway robbery for drivers. Tolls of up to 25 cents a mile. It's led to some pretty pissed off taxpayers in Texas.
Old 25th December 2009, 01:26   #997
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
The big problem with toll roads these days is that many states are selling taxpayer financed public freeway to private corporations and the deals seem to be sweetheart for the purchasers, and literally highway robbery for drivers. Tolls of up to 25 cents a mile.
This is quite a major debate in Illinois right now - I'm not sure if it's a done deal or if it's still in the hands of the government, but I could see enormous potential for abuse in the Chicago area considering the fact that there's damn near nothing a motorist can do to get around it. In terms of bridge tolls, 26 cents a mile would be quite a discount - more like $1.50 per mile on the "Chicago Skyway" (less than 2 miles for $3). It's a lot more if you have a bigger truck or have more than 2 axles (e.g. towing a 2 axle trailer would really rape your wallet).

Ohio has always charged, yes, but never like this. it was always maybe $5-6. I guess the law says that if it was toll before the Nat'l Defense Interstate Highway Act, then it is allowed to remain a toll road after too, and there's nothing to say how quickly the price can jump.

Old 25th December 2009, 13:51   #998
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
I could see enormous potential for abuse
The more I am experienced with the dealings of government, the more I am convinced that there is more than the potential for abuse in nearly everything. Where you find the potential for abuse, you will find someone to take advantage of it.

In Oregon, one of our favorite forms of corruption is to give mass tax breaks to industry (especially silicon) to create a ton of shitty temp jobs. Then they call that economic development.

Oregon has the lowest business tax rates if you make computer chips. If you bake bread, drive nails or wash cars, you get raped.
Old 25th December 2009, 16:53   #999
fc*uk

See the deal with the skyway in Chicago is simple; Illinois bends you over a barrel and expects you to like it. Most Chicagoians do. As an ex Chicagoian I still love it.

See the choice boils down to Skyway, or the 94. There is a free alternative there. Anyway, if you choose the 94, then you'll sit in traffic for hours at a minimum getting into the city. Most choose the skyway simply because it gets you there on time.

Now, as for the other tolls in Chicago. Yeah, you are pretty much stick. Can't go many places without hitting 88, 294, or 355. Oh wait, that's all the freeways in chicago except for 94, which should be renamed "the i-94 parking lot".
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 03:59   #1000
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I used to take 80, then when approaching Chicago, head south to 30 through a lot of towns, then back to 80, so that despite slower speed limits, more official stops, and much longer distances, I could get past Chicago in a lot less total time and with far less tolls, not to mention a much less spent bank of patience. I didn't do that this time, thinking I was driving on "off hours" and that I could just fly right through it. Well, maybe that wasn't my best display of intelligence, or maybe I should just go and admit that that was incredibly stupid. I should have just headed down to 30, paid less in tolls, and gotten past that madhouse faster.

There needs to be a bigass "Chicago Bypass" road with NO Chicago exits, except maybe an emergency fuel and restroom stop to keep the money coming. That's a road I'd be proud to pay a reasonable toll for. Chicago is nice for those who wish to stop and look around, maybe eat some pizza and visit the museums, and for those that love to live there, but if your goal is to get from western Iowa to PA in one winter day, a good bypass would be damn nice and would relieve a lot of road rage and congestion. It would be a hell of a relief to the truckers that need nothing more than pass the city too.

Since I'm in PA visiting family, and need to get back to IA work on the 4th, I need to pass Chicago AGAIN on January 2nd... Perhaps I better just head down to 30 to avoid it all.

At the very least, I will say that the Chicago driving headaches aren't nearly as stressful as the O'Hare airport headaches.

Go Back   Winamp Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist