Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 21st November 2003, 17:55   #1
DrO

Playlist File Remover

Playlist File Remover v1.0

Just a little plugin that will allow you to remove a played track from the playlist automatically. It allows you to do the following:
  1. remove the file if played to the end / or the seekbar is moved to the end
  2. holding down of the 'alt' key to temporarily disable the file removal
  3. option to remove the file when pressing 'next' if playing is happening
  4. all options are configurable
( idea taken from this thread )

enjoy, you know the drill on things

-daz

UPDATE
Latest version v2.5 Beta 1 - info | download

See http://nunzioweb.com/daz/plfr.html for currently offered version - v2.5b1 has been removed due to stability issues and so the old version is offered which isn't fully compatible with current Winamp versions
Old 21st November 2003, 18:57   #2
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
Really good work DrO, works fine for me.

Thank you for all this amazing plugins.
Old 21st November 2003, 19:18   #3
Dipso

DrO, the mega-super-ekstra-ultra-power-coding-machine

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 22nd November 2003, 14:33   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
mega-super-ekstra-ultra-power-coding-machine
you forgot the tm on the end

-daz
Old 24th November 2003, 12:33   #5
Dipso

Oh, ofcourse sorry.
I meant no disrespect, and it won't happen again good sir.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 25th November 2003, 09:24   #6
Moon

some small bug

I've been asking for this feature some time ago and finally someone took the time to make a plugin out of it. Thanks a lot.

However, there seems to be some small glitch: I'm using Winamp 2.91 full german under WinXP SP1 and as soon as I try to check the box

Remove files from playlist when pressing 'next' if Winamp is playing a file (plaed or paused)

Winamp closes itself. Upon restart the box is unchecked. Other than that the plugin's working fine, i.e. files to indeed get deleted from the playlist.
Old 25th November 2003, 12:22   #7
DrO

@Moon: glad it's what you need (i saw a few other threads for it around and i had the code needed to hand from my other plugins so it was 30 minutes to do).

i'll see what is going on - seems a bit strange it's crashing since i don't do anything special on the dialog but i'll check it out as soon as i can.

If anyone else has used it can they post if it's working or not, thanks

-daz
Old 27th November 2003, 01:35   #8
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
Re: some small bug

Quote:
Originally posted by Moon
However, there seems to be some small glitch: I'm using Winamp 2.91 full german under WinXP SP1 and as soon as I try to check the box

Remove files from playlist when pressing 'next' if Winamp is playing a file (plaed or paused)

Winamp closes itself. Upon restart the box is unchecked. Other than that the plugin's working fine, i.e. files to indeed get deleted from the playlist.
WinXP Pro SP1
Winamp 5.0 RC8

Ditto.

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 27th November 2003, 08:47   #9
DrO

that's three confirms now (including one from lunarboy1 in the jtfe thread). not sure what is going on, will try to get a logging version out to test it.

-daz
Old 8th December 2003, 12:34   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Latest update from DrO

Playlist File Remover v1.02
* Fixed dialog init so it will show the correct state
* Few internal fixups to improve internal reliability#
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_play_remove_v1_02.zip (2.2 KB, 2166 views)
Old 8th December 2003, 14:57   #11
Moon

I've tried the 1.02 version and I'm still getting the very same errors. As soon as I try to check the box 'Remove files from playlist when pressing 'next' if Winamp is playing a file (plaed or paused)' Winamp closes itself immediately. Upon restart the box is unchecked.

I had upgraded by first deleting both gen_play_remove.dll and .ini from my winamp\plugins dir and only then copying the new .dll to this dir and starting Winamp. Sorry, seems the bug not fixed yet. In case you wanna work this out you can pm me, DrO.

www.c64-longplays.de
Complete C64 game walkthroughs as videofiles
Old 9th December 2003, 04:52   #12
gflores

Thanks for such a great plug-in. I've been wanting something like this for a while now. Thanks a lot!
There's on little thing that is kinda weird. When I check the "remove song when I press next button," it still shows the box as unchecked but it works as though it's checked. No biggie for me, but just thought I'd let you know.
I have WinXP, Winamp RC10
Old 10th December 2003, 20:19   #13
DrO

@Moon: hmmm... may try a different compile (using Borland instead of MSVC) of the code to see if that throws up the error or not. give me a day or two to get something up for you to try.

@gflores: will check that out (pesky Win XP ) thanks for pointing it out.
also i'm glad you like it and it does as you want

-daz
Old 12th December 2003, 19:02   #14
DrO

looking into the problems with this one tonight as well as adding in an option to close down winamp once the last file has been removed from the playlist.

(taken from a request here)

-daz
Old 12th December 2003, 23:09   #15
DrO

Playlist File Remover v1.21[list=1][*]Added option to close Winamp when the last file is removed[*]Hopefully fixed the 'remove on next' issue *[*]Fixed a little typo causing the wrong button to be inited on config open[*]Fixed the alt override mode so if disabled then the plugin will work now (reported by spamme)[/list=1]
* i managed to reproduce this on my Win98 system.
the problem was that the plugin was calling it's end of track detection code on itself multiple times until it failed (stack errors,etc)
(mental note: must remember to ask for Windows crash logs)

enjoy

-daz

(Note: updated to v1.21 to fix the issue spamme reported, with the v1.2 link replaced for the v1.21)
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_play_remove_v1_21.zip (2.3 KB, 2498 views)

Last edited by DrO; 13th December 2003 at 00:16.
Old 13th December 2003, 09:23   #16
Moon

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
Playlist File Remover v1.21

Hopefully fixed the 'remove on next' issue
Yep, that did it for me! I can now skip to the next song and the currently one is deleted. Great job! Thanks.

Now all I need would be an additional option and/or hotkey that would do a physical delete of the file or move it to a predefined directory
Old 13th December 2003, 19:01   #17
DrO

yay

i'll look into the file removal thing - does complement the existing options so why not

-daz
Old 25th December 2003, 11:12   #18
Moon

another shameless request (boy, can't I get enough?)

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

i'll look into the file removal thing - does complement the existing options so why not
-daz
Nice. While you're at it... is there any way to make Winamp's playlist window display tracks 1 - 9 with a leading '0'? I've set Winamp to display filenames like this: %1: %2 (%3) so that the enumeration of files in the playlist is done by Winamp itself.

Currently it looks like this:

1. track 1
9. track 9
10. track 10
11. track 11

and I'd like to have it like this:

01. track 1
09. track 9
10. track 10
11. track 11

cause I happen to find it more aesthetically pleasing. Of course if you'd rather use your time for more important plugins I wouldn't blame you. Thanks again.
Old 25th December 2003, 18:46   #19
DrO

@Moon: i can't help with the track number display. it's all controlled internally by winamp so there's nothing i can do afaik

-daz
Old 1st January 2004, 15:28   #20
Moon

rename files according to playlist order?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
@Moon: i can't help with the track number display. it's all controlled internally by winamp so there's nothing i can do afaik
-daz
Thanks anyway, I'd already suspected that. Well, apart from the cool 'delete file physically'-function you might already be working on, there's another function I've been wanting for quite a while now and I'm not sure whether it already exists or not, so far I haven't found it.

Like myself all of my friends do have a standalone DVD player with mp3 functionality. So whenever someone's having a sit-in I'm taking along my mixed mp3 CD-RWs/DVD-RWs packed with songs. Problem is, that those players can only playback the files alphabetically. Using the 'random' function doesn't help since it often repeats songs that already have been played (kinda like Winamp does unless of course one uses your Playlist File Remover plugin ).

Thus I'd like to get those files played back in a certain order which also helps me in doing nice transitions between different music styles. I'd like to be able to place all those files in a playlist and shift them around till I have that order that I desire and then make Winamp rename those files accordingly.

So when I click together a playlist that looks like this:

1. Trisomie 21 - The Last Song (Album)
2. Shock Therapy - Hate Is A 4-Letter Word
3. Lene Lovich - Bird Song
4. The Chameleons - Don't Fall

the files should be renamed to

001 - Trisomie 21 - The Last Song (Album).mp3
002 - Shock Therapy - Hate Is A 4-Letter Word.mp3
003 - Lene Lovich - Bird Song.mp3
004 - The Chameleons - Don't Fall.mp3

As a bonus this plugin would allow to select which parts of the filename to be used for the renaming process. The above example e.g. would be generated by these 'official' Winamp variables:

%0 - %1 - %2.%9

(%0 being the filenumber taken from the file's position in the playlist and not from the ID3-tag).

Please let me know what you think.
Old 1st January 2004, 18:08   #21
Paradotsky

@Moon:

Take a look at the program "Audio & Data Music CD Burner" (http://www.audio-data-music-cd-burner.com). Unlike other burner software it allows you to change the order of mp3 files on a mp3 (data) cd. Most software will only burn them alphabetically, so maybe the dvd player is really playing them in the order they were burnt.
It also supports .m3u playlists.

I actually have not tried the program myself so I'm not sure it works - I just noticed the functionality while looking for a good cd burner program.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

BTW: How do you burn the playlist you create in Winamp? Winamp will (unfortunately) not burn mp3 cds AFAIK and a program such as Nero will create an audio cd if you try to drag & drop a .m3u playlist into it..
Old 2nd January 2004, 04:18   #22
Teho

In Nero 6 when you use Nero Express you can choose "Mp3 Disc", unfortunately the songs from the playlist are loaded only alphabetically. So when I want to burn it in the playlist order, I use the Plug-in gen_yar.dll (http://bcheck.arsware.org/#gen_yar), which copies the files from playlist to the specified folder and it can add numbers to the beginning of each file. It takes a little bit more time than Nero 6 Express, but it is the only solution I founded for burning playlists as mp3 files non-alphabetically.
Old 2nd January 2004, 18:58   #23
DrO

Playlist File Remover v1.4
[list=1][*]added shortcut for physically remove file in the playlist (ctrl+shift+d)[*]updates the menu's if above is enabled (off as default)[*]reload playlist option is available now (will currently restore the playlist when winamp first loaded once all files are removed - looking at subsequent loading support)[/list=1]
download v1.4

still got to add in handling for the delete/move file option when the file is played -> next version that

-daz
Old 3rd January 2004, 09:29   #24
Moon

your mileage may vary

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradotsky
Take a look at the program "Audio & Data Music CD Burner" (http://www.audio-data-music-cd-burner.com). Unlike other burner software it allows you to change the order of mp3 files on a mp3 (data) cd.
It also supports .m3u playlists.
I've tried Audio & Data Music CD Burner and I maybe too stupid but it appears that while you can import playlists the file order still is alphabetical when burned to CD. Cause when you try to move some songs up or down this message pops up: For a data CD, the tracks order is determined by the operating system.

Quote:
BTW: How do you burn the playlist you create in Winamp? Winamp will (unfortunately) not burn mp3 cds AFAIK and a program such as Nero will create an audio cd if you try to drag & drop a .m3u playlist into it..
I select File | New | CD-ROM (Iso) and drag the files (not the playlist) from their folders to the left window in Nero. This can of course get a little exhausting when you've spread those files you wanna burn over lots of directories. However, using the gen_yar plugin you are copying the files to be burned to one dir so it should be no problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Teho So when I want to burn it in the playlist order, I use the Plug-in gen_yar.dll (http://bcheck.arsware.org/#gen_yar), which copies the files from playlist to the specified folder and it can add numbers to the beginning of each file.
Well, this is a plugin to start with but I see 2 problems:
  • You gotta have twice the HD space since the plugin copies the files over that already exist elsewhere on your HD. This can become a little tedious when you burn MP3 DVDs to playback on a standalone DVD player.
  • The plugin adds an underscore between file number and filename so I (preferring my file with whitespaces rather than underscores) have to add an additional step of replacing those underscores.

I really hope someone will do a plugin as described by me above which renames the files in the dirs where they reside (maybe even leavin an option to rename them back to their original names once they are burned).

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
Playlist File Remover v1.4

still got to add in handling for the delete/move file option when the file is played -> next version that

-daz

Thanks for taking the time, however it seems a bit complicated to me. When I select any file from the playlist and press CTRL-SHIFT-D I get two seperate windows in a row asking me if I'm really sure! This should be dealt with by adding this warning in the plugin's option menu when turned on (nice one to default this function to off, BTW).

So when checking this option you have been warned and all that's happening from there on is your own problem so there's no need to ask every time a file is getting deleted. Of course you could add another option which is also unchecked by default:

enable playlist editor 'delete file(s)' shortcut
disable all warnings upon file delete

I'm looking forward to see the delete/move file option when the file is played. Cause the way it's done now you cannot delete the file when while it is played. Actually this isn't necessary when you extend the function from the way it currently works: when you listen to a file and press 'skip' the file gets deleted from the playlist and from the HD. Similar to the depressed ALT key preventing the file from being deleted from the playlist a depressed CTRL key would prevent the file from being deleted, so the shortcuts might work like this:
  • skip: file is skipped and deleted both from playlist and from HD
  • skip + ALT: file is skipped but not deleted from playlist and thus not from HD as well
  • skip + CTRL: file is skipped and deleted from playlist but not from HD.

Do you think this is an intuitive behaviour?

Speaking of shortcuts: I usually skip songs in Winamp by pressing the 'official' shortcut Numpad 6 but when I press ALT-Numpad 6 to skip and keep the song in the playlist Winamp does not skip at all. What gives?
Old 3rd January 2004, 12:14   #25
DrO

@moon: i like the keyboard options, very slick may have to go for 'alt+shift' though for the 'ctrl' option you mentioned so that it won't override existing options (have to also take into account some of my other plugins now which add other shortcuts )

Quote:
Speaking of shortcuts: I usually skip songs in Winamp by pressing the 'official' shortcut Numpad 6 but when I press ALT-Numpad 6 to skip and keep the song in the playlist Winamp does not skip at all. What gives?
hmmm... yep just confirmed that, will have to look at the code to see what's going on (something simple as always).

with the shortcut implementation, at the moment all i'm doing is calling the existing code in winamp. i was in fact going to make a separate plugin to handle the delete/recycle/shortcut thing but it seems to make more sense now to include it in this one i think (saves duplication and goes with the existing plugin intentions )

once the delete code, etc is implemented i'll then be able to implement the code myself so the delete confirmation, etc can then be controlled.

i want to push through and get this one finished off soon so i'll try and work on it over the next few days

(cheers for the feedback btw - helps put development in the right direction that way)

-daz
Old 3rd January 2004, 14:43   #26
Moon

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
i want to push through and get this one finished off soon so i'll try and work on it over the next few days
No need to hurry. But I'd like to know whether you are interested to implement my other function I'm looking for, the rename thing mentioned above. In case you're not or you think you won't find the time please let me know so I can do a request on these forums. Thanks.

Quote:
(cheers for the feedback btw - helps put development in the right direction that way)
You're welcome.
Old 3rd January 2004, 14:56   #27
DrO

oops, missed you're other thing.

i can't commit to something like that at the moment (though i bet i end up doing it like it is with most of them )

12 plugins is a fair bit to try and manage at the moment with at least 6 in different states of development so i really shouldn't start anymore for the time being.

if i start it i'll let you know

-daz
Old 4th January 2004, 05:09   #28
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
12 plugins is a fair bit to try and manage at the moment with at least 6 in different states of development so i really shouldn't start anymore for the time being.
Yeah ... and specially the next one being No.13 Maybe if one more request comes in, it'll be fine as it would go on to 14!

On another side note, DrO, just wondering ... U seem to wink a lot

Cheers
Old 4th January 2004, 07:59   #29
Moon

wtf?

Quote:
Originally posted by Paparazzi
Yeah ... and specially the next one being No.13 Maybe if one more request comes in, it'll be fine as it would go on to 14!
Your point being?
Old 4th January 2004, 13:03   #30
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Paparazzi

On another side note, DrO, just wondering ... U seem to wink a lot

Cheers
lol, number 13, that'll be a bad one i bet

yeah i do wink a bit (just a sign of friendliness is how i view it)

-daz
Old 8th January 2004, 09:08   #31
Moon

safer default settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Moon
Similar to the depressed ALT key preventing the file from being deleted from the playlist a depressed CTRL key would prevent the file from being deleted, so the shortcuts might work like this:
  • skip: file is skipped and deleted both from playlist and from HD
  • skip + ALT: file is skipped but not deleted from playlist and thus not from HD as well
  • skip + CTRL: file is skipped and deleted from playlist but not from HD.

Do you think this is an intuitive behaviour?
I've been thinking about these keyboard settings and maybe they are - while intuitive - a little bit too dangerous. Cause even after having explicitly agreed to a physical file deletion in the plugin's options it's not necessarily an expected behaviour to see every file deleted once it has been played. So maybe it's better you use different default settings which might be less intuitive but safer:
  • skip: file is deleted from playlist only
  • skip + SHIFT: file is deleted both from playlist and from HD.
  • skip + ALT: file is neither deleted from playlist nor from HD

That way you have to make a conscious decision to physically delete a file which should result in less accidental removes. Of course you could add an option in the plugin's settings to ask ppl 'are you sure?' every time they delete a file.

I've made a new options menu that implements my ideas, have a look at the attached screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: gif pfr-options.gif (9.0 KB, 895 views)

Last edited by Moon; 8th January 2004 at 10:07.
Old 8th January 2004, 11:48   #32
Paparazzi

Ok.. Here's an idea that has cropped up from someone's suggestion. Read it in some post in the forum or maybe here under this topic itself. Someone asked if it was possible to have the currently playing song on top of the playlist and have it removed after the song has finished completely and the next one has started.

Would it be possible to have the song removed once it has finished playing completely and then enqueued again? This way, (presuming shuffle is not switched on) the playlist remains intact and the currently playing song always remains on top! This could be an option for this plugin.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2004, 19:10   #33
DrO

@Moon: nice piccy

was starting to think the same myself since people will then complain. that's why for the removal i aim for it to send to the recycle bin as default (though permanent delete will be possible or to a specified directory instead - covers all areas that way )

@Paparazzi: yeah i've posted in that thread (was in the Wishlist forum). i'm going to try and work on what was said in the thread and see how it goes.

bit lost by what you are saying though ("song removed once it has finished playing completely and then enqueued again?" do you mean played again? - was a long day at work so it's likely i'm being stupid)

-daz
Old 9th January 2004, 01:20   #34
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
I think he means "enqueued" as in "added to the bottom of the playlist", for those with linear playlists, so that the currently playing song would always be at the top of the playlist editor. It would be useless with shuffle enabled, though.

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Old 9th January 2004, 10:04   #35
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimelennar
I think he means "enqueued" as in "added to the bottom of the playlist", for those with linear playlists, so that the currently playing song would always be at the top of the playlist editor. It would be useless with shuffle enabled, though.
Yes... I meant for people who don't want the files removed and yet want the currently playing song to be on top, it would be nice to first randomize the playlist and then this plugin remove the song after its finished and re-enqueues it so that it gets added back at the bottom of the playlist. This way, the playlist continues moving in circles!

Cheers
Old 9th January 2004, 18:27   #36
DrO

ok i was being stupid

i understand now and had wondered about doing something like that before it was brought up again. i will see what i can do tonight about this and will make the mode auto-detect if shuffle is enabled to prevent it from re-adding the files to the bottom of the playlist.

tempted to even add in a auto-randomise on load option with the loop thing

-daz
Old 10th January 2004, 05:33   #37
Paparazzi

My, my, my.... until now, I thought it was only God who listened to every request of every human being and granted more than was required Never knew that there were humans who did this too ... (maybe, just maybe these are the sort of people who become saints )

Cheers
Old 10th January 2004, 08:59   #38
Moon

yet more options coming

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
i understand now and had wondered about doing something like that before it was brought up again. i will see what i can do tonight about this
Well, I just hope that in the end we're (i.e. you) are not cluttering up your fine plugin with too many and/or 'unfitting' features. After all we're not Micro$oft.

Nevertheless, I've updated my options pic, rethinking the options and ordering them accordingly. Please check it out. BTW, we might be running out of space so maybe it would be better to add tabs to the options menu or to place some of the options side by side rather than one under another.

Speaking of tabs, is there any way to make Winamp recognize the language of a plugin? So when I'm running your plugin on a localized German Winamp I'd automatically get the German language options menu? I intend to do the translation as soon as you've decided which features to implement.

Oh, and about the 'ask' option. Of course I have no idea if this is possible or difficult to code, I just thought that it might prove useful to be able to decide on a song by song basis. So in case this option is checked and you do not press ALT to temporarily disable the function, as soon as the song ends Winamp immediately plays the next one and asks in a small window (which grabs focus or not, doh, yet another option) what to do with the song that just ended playing. Options are those listed above in the options pic attached:
  • physically delete
  • move to recycle bin
  • move to pre-defined dir

Well, that's it for now...
Attached Images
File Type: gif pfr-options144.gif (11.6 KB, 910 views)
Old 10th January 2004, 12:25   #39
DrO

@Paparazzi: the view i take with the plugins is that if i think it fits with the idea of the plugin and it will benefit people then i think it's worth adding it in.

the looping thing was something i had considered but no one had mentioned it so it wasn't added in initially. it is implemented in the current code now

@Moon:
Quote:
we might be running out of space so maybe it would be better to add tabs to the options menu or to place some of the options side by side rather than one under another
already came across that one and i've gone for the options being side by side (have a look of the attachment - still to be refined but it gets the options on there for the moment)

about the translation thing it all depends on how you are going to detect the dialog inorder to apply the translation os ican't really answer that for you without knowing how you are intending on doing it)

and for the last request, maybe once the current features are implemented (tempted to push the plugin to a v2.? state with the additional features that are going in now) though i'm not sure about it

-daz
Old 10th January 2004, 12:28   #40
DrO

piccy this time (clicked to fast on the post button )

-daz
Attached Images
File Type: png plfr.png (7.3 KB, 986 views)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion