Old 18th September 2009, 23:33   #1
murrayp

Grouping Albums

Hi,

I'm new here and probably my question is obvious, but I've looked and can't spot an answer. I've imported around 500 albums ok. I'd like to be able to group them in sub-libraries, so that I can go to say a sub-library I might call e.g. NZ Electronica. I'd like to then load this sub-library manually with whatever albums I might wish (drag and drop). Then I should be able to click on the group and only have this sub-library (or folder) shown in the viewing panes. It's really just like a folder structure. But one album may be listed in many groups or folders. Playlists is sort of like this but they are targeted for playing tracks rather than browsing and finding and selecting an album to listen to.

Is there some way to do this please?

tks

Murray
murrayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 10:24   #2
JonnyMac

What basis or category do you want the album groups to be? From your description, it sounds like genre. Regardless, this could be done by creating new smart views in the Local Media section of the Media Library. If anyone of us is going to help, it would be easier if we had a better idea of how you want to categorize the album groups.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 00:36   #3
murrayp

Thanks,
I've had little play with smart views in the Local Media section. This is indeed very close to what I'm after but seems to be exclusively automatic based on tag info. Almost too smart by half. All I'm after is the ability to create a new "view" or folder, and to be able to drag and drop whatever I feel like into it. I've tried drag and drop into smart views and it shows it to be working, but when I check the folder I've dragged an album to, it isn't there - maybe the smart filter threw it out. I had thought maybe I could creat an empty smart view then populate it myself, not by some smart filter - that's all I want.

BR
murrayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 09:21   #4
JonnyMac

Winamp's Media Library is organized chart of your music collection. It was not designed to move or copy files on the drive.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:21   #5
RockyRacoon

I hope you're not expecting it to actually move the files on the hard drive... it doesn't do that.
RockyRacoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 17:45   #6
Ace2110

Yes, WinAmp isn't meant to be a filing system on your hard drive. You're going to have to group them yourself....not a fun task I know, but worthwhile.
Ace2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:34   #7
jtbse

Send a message via AIM to jtbse Send a message via Yahoo to jtbse
Sounds like what you really want is just a simple set of playlists??

Right-click on the playlist section in the left pane of the ML view, select "New Playlist", and provide a name. Then just drag songs to it from the ML.

If you want to use a smart view based on say, genre, to get the playlist started, then just create your smart view, enqueue it, and from the playlist editor, save it to a file. Then in the playlist section of the ML, you can choose to "Import from File" to create the ML playlist that you can drag more songs into.
jtbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 17:54   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
in my own personal use, i rip new albums to a "staging area" on my hard drive. then after i check the tags on it and apply RG, i move it into the "permanent area" on the hard drive, that uses a hierarchy of folders and sub folders that is basically genres. so like "rock" "easy" "rap" "irish" etc...

then, each of those is broken down into further classifications, so rock has "classic" "grunge" etc...

then, using smart views, i can setup a view for any folder or combo of folders i want. the view will include subfolders, if any are there.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion