Old 31st July 2004, 02:25   #1
Da_Punk

Making a local CDDB file

Hello All-

Is it possible to create a local CDDB file that winamp can use. I mean make it from like freedb or with winamps gracenote connection?

This way I could have all the CDDB info available off-line, the FIRST time I played a cd?
Does that make sense?

Thanks-
Scott
Da_Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2004, 04:43   #2
Da_Punk

Nevermind-
After some research, I realized that the reason I cant use a local freedb installatiopn is because winamp has become much too enveloped in the AOL-Time/Warner money machine. I will no longer use Winamp for that reason.

AOL is not friendly to the internet or your computer.
Old 31st July 2004, 08:36   #3
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

It's not AOL's fault actually - Gracenote's license forbids the application to use any other CD database than its own.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2004, 15:42   #4
Da_Punk

I know its off topic, but it is AOL (Nullsofts) fault that their software cannot use freedb.org, or any other free cddb.

Gracenote can put any terms they want in their license agreement. It's AOL/Nullsoft's responsibility to decline it's terms.

Gracenote will continue such crap until developers quit agreeing to it.

It is a choice that WinAmp developers had to make. I think it was a bad one.

Last edited by Da_Punk; 31st July 2004 at 16:20.
Old 31st July 2004, 16:29   #5
ujay
Forum King

You can use the CDReader plugin to give freedb support if you want, but it will still not allow access to a local freedb database. It does have the option to use the windows global database(cdplayer.ini) which is very convenient for compilation CDs.

I'm not convinced of the value of a local CDDB database unless you have a very poor connection or want to index it and use it in searchable form.
You need to keep it updated all the time so why not just use the online one anyway

Unfortunately CDReader was broken with the upgrade to 2.9/5 and will only access CDs from the 'Explorer' interface. I still use it for preference, and just fall back on the Winamp offering for enhanced CDs.

UJ

Last edited by ujay; 31st July 2004 at 17:03.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2004, 17:07   #6
Da_Punk

Ujay-

A local CDDB comes in handy when there is no internet connection available, but you have no idea who's gonna put what cd into the computer we are using at work as jukebox.
I'ts not a huge problem. Just wanted "all the perks" without the internet.

And I'm really pissed that I can't choose my CDDB provider. I guess that's what really got me torqued off.
Thing is, I really like Winamp, but hate AOL-Time/Warner.

Oh well, maybe I won't ditch Winamp, cause it works really, really well. But I'm gonna cruise over to sourceforge.net and see what they've got going on.
Old 31st July 2004, 17:37   #7
ujay
Forum King

The sort of facility you are looking for is mostly available in CD ripping/burning programs.

CDex, EAC, Feurio and Plextools will all do what you want.
Feurio in particular has very good player support, but in no case are any of them close to the ease of use of the Winamp interface.

[edit] If you only ever use CDs then Feurio would be a very good choice. [/edit]

UJ

Last edited by ujay; 31st July 2004 at 17:53.
Old 1st August 2004, 08:57   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Yes...but. Nobody else provides the features that Gracenote do, and so they're kind of forced to agree to their terms...

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 1st August 2004, 09:44   #9
ujay
Forum King

Maybe it's time someone as big as Nullsoft called their bluff. Gracenote is rapidly disappearing from other players and offhand I can't think of any major ones except Winamp who still use it. Maybe I'm wrong, I've never seen any figures on who uses what players.

The point is Russ, that Gracenote do NOT provide the features that freedb does. The GUI is broken(or at least doesn't provide any useful error messages), and in my opinion the lack of a good global database far outweighs the supposed benefits of any add on marketing.

UJ
Old 1st August 2004, 10:16   #10
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Gracenote is rapidly disappearing from other players and offhand I can't think of any major ones except Winamp who still use it.
Err... iTunes?

QCD?

RealPlayer?

Sony's shite?

Quote:
The point is Russ, that Gracenote do NOT provide the features that freedb does. The GUI is broken(or at least doesn't provide any useful error messages), and in my opinion the lack of a good global database far outweighs the supposed benefits of any add on marketing.
That be as it may, but CDDB is not Gracenote's main service these days.

Old 1st August 2004, 10:43   #11
ujay
Forum King

Thanks for that Russ, as I said, I don't have a lot of experience with other players, but the ones I do use have all moved away from Gracenote.
The ones you mention all seem to be proprietary, and may be attracted by the added security Gracenote offers in locking out other players.

Am I right in thinking that each player has to maintain it's own database and can't access any other, even if it is in Gracenote format. Or is this possible?

[Additional] Perhaps a solution would be to get Gracenote to agree to an Import only function that allowed records from elsewhere to be added to Winamp's database. This would not compromise their security that I can see. [/Additional]

UJ
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion