Old 9th September 2004, 21:38   #1
mjbacch

Send a message via AIM to mjbacch
How to set up shoutcast on Mac OSX

Ok After many hours of frustration and pulling my hair out I finally figured out how to set up the shoutcast streaming server up on my freakin' Mac.
So I thought I would share step by step on exactly how I did it.
First of all I searched every forumn for hours in order to find all the information. I am an admitted newbie and had no clue as to what I was doing.
SO...with that said here we go.

1.) Take a deep breath, go to the fridge and grab yourself a beer (this is a 3-4 beer job).

2.) Go to this address http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml And download the shoutcast server for the Mac.

3.) Go to this address and download the streaming media server for Mac OSX. http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

4.) Unstuff, Unzip, Unpack, both of the files mention above. And read the readme file- Just read it. It wont hurt you.

Before you go any further you need to get a code editor- dont try to use your text editor or some other stupid word program- it wont work- so go here to download this free one. If I had done this from the beginning I would have saved 3 hours. http://www.enigmarelle.com/sw/TideText/

5.) Ok we are on our way- by this point you should be 1/2 way through your first beer. NEXT open that text editor you downloaded and open the file SC_SERV.config and change the variable which need to be changed.

6.) Now open the SC_Trans.config file, with the same editor, and change the password to be the same as it is on the previous file. Also change any other parimeters you need to.

7.) Finish first beer, then open your finder and click on applications scroll down until you see utilities, click on utilites and open the Terminal program on the bottom.

8.) Open your next beer and open your System preferances. Click on sharing.
Click on Firewall. Click new. On port name click NEW. Enter shoutcast for the name and 8000-8001 for the port.

9.) Now if you have a rourter- then you need to open up a port for shoutcast and so forth. You need to read this post. HERE

10.) Open your 3rd beer if you had to read the previous post otherwise drink up. Now open the terminal window and drag the SC_SERV file into the window. If all goes well then you shoud have started up your server.

11.) Open a new terminal window and drag sc_trans_macosx to that window. If you followed the directions in the readme file and you acually have songs then you have streaming media..

Go to this address http://www.radiotoolbox.com/online_t...ntheygetin.php
to see if it works.

Ok good luck with your broadcast and I hope this was helpful- I wish I had this when I started
mjbacch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2004, 21:57   #2
bobsbarricades

First off.....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Im doing a project using Max/MSP and I cna finaly use the shoutcast external. only problem is that I want to use the sound from my soundcard. In the example.lst file it says I can do this by putting

DSP:/dev/soundcard

that in the playlist. (is it ok if I just put that twice at the bottom of the example.lst file??)

I can't check to make sure I am connected because here at college they have a gigantic firewall and I can't test over the LAN (which is what im going to use) because I dont know how I would connect, like what URL to type in.

thanks agan for all your help
bobsbarricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2004, 22:12   #3
DJ Zath

Send a message via AIM to DJ Zath
Nice Job there!

For that, I'll replenish the six-pack it cost you to post!

DjZ

p.s. I recommend that the admins add this post to the "stickies"!
DJ Zath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 15:34   #4
bobsbarricades

and also, what program can i use to listen in? obvisouly winamp...but winamp isn't for macs. I would assume realone would work?

i hate to keep on adding to my questions, but to get sound to come from my soundcard, the instructions say to use that DSP: path where soundcard is the name of my soundcard, but these comps use the "built-in audio controller" when I type that should it matter if i have the spaces in there or not?

and so far my biggest problem...when i load the sc_trans_macosx it says it can't find the sc_trans.conf file, but its in the same folder. i edited out all the help text so that it is orderly (only because it wasn't working, I tried to rename because the instructions up top that say

Quote:
** Use "sc_trans filename.conf" to specify a config file.
what do i do?

Last edited by bobsbarricades; 5th December 2004 at 16:20.
Old 5th December 2004, 16:24   #5
bobsbarricades

no matter what i enter I get "Command not found." from the terminal window. its like ti doesn't recognize regular commands
Old 5th December 2004, 16:33   #6
bobsbarricades

edit
Old 5th December 2004, 21:04   #7
bobsbarricades

it wont let me edit...so quad post for me...

i fixed that problem. I had to put the conf files in some user/digital folder, but now that they load, the sc_trans_macosx file will spit alll this out and I dont know what it means

Quote:
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [MAIN] Playlist decoder thread starting
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [MAIN] Streaming thread starting
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [DECODE] Error DSP:not supported in this build
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [DECODE] Error DSP:not supported in this build
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [MAIN] Ran out of songs!!!
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [STREAM] Creating stream socket
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [STREAM] Connected to host server
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [CONFIG] WARNING: No InputSamplerate defined, assuming 44100!
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [CONFIG] WARNING: No InputChannels defined, assuming 2!
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [STREAM] Host server gave success (OK2)
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [STREAM] Stream to 147.253.120.71 established
<12/05/04@17:00:51> [STREAM] Sending stream information
clock_get_time() failed: (ipc/send) invalid reply port
Segmentation fault
now in there is says that the dsp is not supported in this build...if that is the case why does it say that it is in the help. (i guess its referring to playing all the sounds that come from the sound card. for my sound card I put "audio" because it says normally its auto, and this mac uses the "built-in audio controller"
Old 17th January 2005, 17:22   #8
DJWhatTheBleep

Send a message via AIM to DJWhatTheBleep Send a message via Yahoo to DJWhatTheBleep
Thank you very much for the instructions so far.

I have gotten to the point where my DSP server works, and when I drag the sc_trans_macosx into the Terminal it seems to work perfectly (it doesn't recognize that i specified a channel and bit rate in the config file). It works just fine, and occasionally it will rebuffer, but thats not the problem. The problem is: I (and my listeners) can't access it. I've tried a site that checks to see if your port is open, and it is. It just says that ther basically is no content. I'm not sure where to go from here.
DJWhatTheBleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 22:25   #9
EazMan

Re: How to set up shoutcast on Mac OSX

Quote:
Originally posted by mjbacch
4.) Unstuff, Unzip, Unpack, both of the files mention above. And read the readme file- Just read it. It wont hurt you.
we need more people like you!! -lol

Quote:
Originally posted by mjbacch
and also, what program can i use to listen in? obvisouly winamp...but winamp isn't for macs. I would assume realone would work?
Audion
RealOne will work (i didnt know they had it for mac!)
EazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 05:38   #10
DJ AmPs
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by bobsbarricades
Use I-tunes! I think there needs to be an I-cast and I-amp combo though.
DJ AmPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 20:10   #11
DJWhatTheBleep

Send a message via AIM to DJWhatTheBleep Send a message via Yahoo to DJWhatTheBleep
iTunes is probably the best application that I have found to listen on a Mac. Also, mPlayer will do the same, but iTunes directly recognizes .pls files.

iTunes could technically act as WinAmp does on Windows and their shoutcast version, but the developers of Shoutcast would have to make the plugin supported by iTunes. And thats not gonna happen soon.

Again, I would like to thank the original poster for the instructions, they have got me almost all the way. The server works, I can tap into other servers, just fine. All I need to know is the following:

How do you set the input to access your soundcard (or mic input) on Mac OS X. What goes in the playlist file to access that line?

Any help is overly welcome! Thanks!
DJWhatTheBleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 18:54   #12
HighSchoolRadio

Okay, I'm working on downloading shoutcast onto a mac for our school internet radio station. I've downloaded both the shoutcast and the streaming media server and I've read the readme file. My problem is with the code editor. The link that you have posted sent me to a "new" website (freshly created) and I'm getting some kind of error when I try to download the code editor. Do you know of any other free code editors that I could download? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
HighSchoolRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 20:08   #13
glowie

hi, i just want to say mjbacchs's instructions were very helpful. thank you! now, i have something to add to them as well as to some of the other posters' comments...

Quote:
Before you go any further you need to get a code editor- dont try to use your text editor or some other stupid word program- it wont work- so go here to download this free one. If I had done this from the beginning I would have saved 3 hours. http://www.enigmarelle.com/sw/TideText/
maybe it's because i have the latest version of Mac OS X (10.4.6), but the mac's text editor, TextEdit, worked fine for opening and editing the .conf files.

Quote:
My problem is with the code editor. The link that you have posted sent me to a "new" website (freshly created) and I'm getting some kind of error when I try to download the code editor. Do you know of any other free code editors that I could download?
i also found the tidetext link was no longer available. i found another free text editor, though. http://www.barebones.com/products/te...er/index.shtml
but again, mac's TextEdit worked just fine. if you have a recent version of Mac OS X, definitely try its TextEdit application first. if it opens the .conf files, you just change the appropriate parameters and then save your changes.

Quote:
I have gotten to the point where my DSP server works, and when I drag the sc_trans_macosx into the Terminal it seems to work perfectly (it doesn't recognize that i specified a channel and bit rate in the config file). It works just fine, and occasionally it will rebuffer, but thats not the problem. The problem is: I (and my listeners) can't access it. I've tried a site that checks to see if your port is open, and it is. It just says that ther basically is no content. I'm not sure where to go from here.
this part was tricky for me too. i had completely missed the playlist parameter in the sc_trans.conf file. it took me a while, but i finally realized what the example.lst file was for (it should be included in the sc_trans_040 folder). you can open it with your text editor and change the sample mp3 file paths to your actual mp3 file paths.

to find your mp3 file paths you can use the terminal application. i think the readme document and example.list make reference to this, but it's easy to mess up the unix command, or just not get it right. once you've opened a new terminal window (or "new shell") type:
find / -type f -name "*.mp3"
please note that the spaces between the words and symbols are intentional. this command will bring up a list of all the mp3 file paths located on your computer. you'll want to copy and paste the ones that start with "/Users/yourname/" into the example.lst file--one mp3 file path per line (it will probably automatically paste one path per line). when you're done pasting, do 'save as' and rename it. then change the playlist parameter in the sc_trans.conf file to "yourrenamedplaylist.lst" and save.

i hope this clarifies some of the setup steps for other mac users.
glowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 22:53   #14
hackerdork
Forum King

MacOSX is just freebsd unix compiled for the Apple hardware

#!/bin/sh
#save as streamer
#chmod 755 streamer
./sc_serv sc_serv.conf > /dev/null &
./sc_trans sc_trans.conf >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Those two lines will run both the server and transcoder in the background, so any errors or problems will not show on the terminal window.

If you saved those lines in a file called streamer a simple command ./streamer would run both for you. No drap and drop since these applications are designed for command line, and if you drag a execuatable to the terminal window it tries to run it from the terminal windows current directory, so if the CONF files are in that folder you will see problems like what was mentioned above (no playlist etc)

If you search for linux and my username you will see a few snipets of scripts that make the playlist each time the script starts up, then fires off sc_serv and sc_trans

Cheers

~ D

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2007, 14:08   #15
rsmile33

rsmile33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 19:44   #16
tghewett

Streaming live from audio device

Quote:
Originally posted by DJWhatTheBleep
All I need to know is the following:

How do you set the input to access your soundcard (or mic input) on Mac OS X. What goes in the playlist file to access that line?

Any help is overly welcome! Thanks!
I found a way, since sc_trans was no good for anything other than static audio files. Go to http://www.panic.com/audion/, it looks like you have to buy it but it is actually free as the developer has provided a serial key for everyone to use. The app has a Stream option on the Tools menu. Choose your audio device from the pop-up window's menu and connect to the SHOUTcast server. You only need sc_serv running, nothing else, minimal configuration.

I can't get it to work for anything other than 44.1kHz sampled sources though...
tghewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 18:32   #17
tghewett

Further to my last post, something I've got working is to use sc_serv and sc_trans, where sc_trans is configured to have one audio file in its playlist, where that audio file is a named pipe (or fifo - see the man page for mkfifo). You can then pipe what you like into the input end of that pipe, in essence you end up streaming into a playlist.

To achieve this I downloaded and built the LAME, ffmpeg and Portaudio packages. A few gentle taps with a sledgehammer to the portaudio test program patest_record led to it outputting the CoreAudio input stream to stdout instead of a file, ffmpeg was used to resample the 48kHz stream to 44.1kHz, and lame then encoded it to mp3 for output to the named pipe. Command line:

portaudio/bin/patest_record | ffmpeg -f s16le -vn -ar 48000 -ac 2 -i - -ar 44100 -f s16le - | lame -r -s 44.1 -x -b 192 - > namedpipe

I can post up a copy of patest_record.c, or if you know of a better way of getting a Mac OS X CoreAudio input stream presented on stdout please tell me!

I did try encoding the raw 48kHz stream direct to mp3, i.e. missing out the ffmpeg resampling stage and telling lame it was a 48kHz stream, but no matter what I did iTunes always played the stream at 44.1kHz even though it reported the stream as being a 48kHz one. Hence the resampling stage...
Old 11th April 2007, 03:03   #18
coreyk67

how can i view the actual url ... all i see now is

"URL submitted by user."
coreyk67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 10:18   #19
tghewett

Quote:
Originally posted by coreyk67
how can i view the actual url ... all i see now is

"URL submitted by user."
Click on 'Quote' for the message concerned, the URL will then be visible.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:09   #20
mightyhalo

First off... thank you all for the hard work... since I have NO idea what Im doing, this looks promising... sadly, I dont know how to get the url's that are replaced with "URL submitted by user"... am I really not getting it, or is there a preference I need to turn on to see them.

I am not sure what "click on the quote." means... Oh... never mind... sorry.

hee hee... help?

- Brian
Ghostology with Brian & Anna Mare
mightyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 12:47   #21
mightyhalo

*whew* ... okay... I think what Im trying to do is a little different than what is being presented here... but thus far, this has been the most intelligible and comprehensive for me to understand.

My Dilemma:
- I am on Mac OSX
- I use Garageband currently (but am willing to use whatever I need to make this work better) for our podcast online.
- An internet radio show wants us to go live with them and they have provided all of the port, ip, and other super secret numbers needed to login to their server.
- I have downloaded the Shoutcast for mac OS and changed the .conf file to fit the needs of our hosts server.
- When I run the "sc_trans_macosx" file in terminal it gives me this:

Last login: Tue Jan 15 06:56:11 on ttyp1
/Users/denverrobbins/Desktop/sc_trans_040/sc_trans_macosx; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
Macintosh:~ denverrobbins$ /Users/denverrobbins/Desktop/sc_trans_040/sc_trans_macosx; exit
** TRANScast Distributed Network Audio Content Provider
** Copyright (C) 2000 Nullsoft, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
** Use "sc_trans filename.conf" to specify a config file.
[conf] Couldn't find sc_trans.conf -- assuming defaults
<01/15/08@07:45:34> [TRANSCast] DNAS/posix v0.400-LAME (03/04/03) starting up...
<01/15/08@07:45:34> [MAIN] PID: 642
<01/15/08@07:45:34> [MAIN] Loaded config from sc_trans.conf
<01/15/08@07:45:34> [MAIN] No playlist file found ()
logout
[Process completed]

- It looks like it should be doing something... but Im not sure what to do now.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much and I will remain very patient, though we were hoping to go live this week.

- Brian
Ghostology with Brian & Anna Marie
mightyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 16:47   #22
quasar

those URL's are missing links

i would like to download the streaming server for the mac, but the URL is gone. why do they make life so hard sometimes?
quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 19:33   #23
kfractal

Quote:
Originally posted by tghewett
I can post up a copy of patest_record.c, or if you know of a better way of getting a Mac OS X CoreAudio input stream presented on stdout please tell me!
I'd be interested in seeing your patest_record.c if you don't mind. I was just about to go hacking at a similar thing... you saved me a few days at least
kfractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 22:27   #24
IllBugYou

i still can't connect, i made a thread with my problem
IllBugYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 02:38   #25
Futureactorjon

Thanks. This helped!
Futureactorjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 13:07   #26
cerbero

Quote:
Originally posted by kfractal
I'd be interested in seeing your patest_record.c if you don't mind. I was just about to go hacking at a similar thing... you saved me a few days at least
I would love to have this aswell, or if anyone knows of a different way of getting CoreAudio output to stdout.
cerbero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 08:42   #27
marskee

yo i want to know how to stream from a mac as well..but im not sure why all your links say "URL submitted by user" how can i view the links? please help..i do a show through winamp also but im all mac now and i cant figure it out.. thanks in advance
marskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 08:44   #28
marskee

ok nevermind..i didnt read all the posts..i can see the url's now..ill try it and get back at yall thanks!
marskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 16:39   #29
halo_xprincz

Send a message via Yahoo to halo_xprincz
is just me or anyone can see the url's???

I cant see the url's and freaking out, I hate my mac at this moment...
halo_xprincz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 16:44   #30
Gravy14

Same, im dying here
Gravy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 04:12   #31
ZehChef

i cant see them either :\
ZehChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 04:19   #32
ZehChef

ok now i can see them but i cant get the third link it takes me to some random site
ZehChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 12:52   #33
heycee

why i can't see the links?
heycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 23:14   #34
davematt8810

There weren't any url's listed?

Help?
davematt8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 23:17   #35
davematt8810

To mjbacch, your step by step process to using Winamp on a MAC, the URL's were not viewable?
davematt8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 10:07   #36
Dan1jel

if u guys press "Quote" on his massage, u will se the address..
so press quote, just like u wore writing somthing about what he wrote, and ull se it!
Dan1jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 16:36   #37
HalloweenBob

I am trying to shoutcast on a mac and use the output of my soundcard instead of an MP3.

I saw directions for how to direct the terminal program to the soundcard output for Linux, but not for a mac.

Please help me on this part.

That is very strange that you are forced to use the "Quote" feature to see embedded URLs. What is the point of that?
HalloweenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 19:37   #38
DjPrimary

why i cant see the urls
DjPrimary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 19:44   #39
DJProFusion

Send a message via Yahoo to DJProFusion
Since those directions were written in 2004 and the Mac has changed so much in the intervening four years, does anyone know how to run Shoutcast on a Mac today?

http://WorldFusionRadio.com
What the future sounds like
DJProFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 20:59   #40
BiZ3L

i hope this works!
BiZ3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support