Old 18th March 2005, 18:34   #41
zanks

RAR Password

RAR should be just as easy, the DLL has an export with the password functionality

int RARReadHeader(HANDLE hArcData, struct RARHeaderData *HeaderData);
Output with file flag 0x04 - file encrypted with password

void RARSetPassword(HANDLE hArcData, char *Password);

I wanted to try out and mod the UnRAR.DLL to do it by default for me and get a custom build, but I think that's taking it a bit too far

Anyways, hope to see it implemented soon!
Old 19th March 2005, 17:01   #42
DrO

yeah, i'm aware of the rar api, just when i was getting 0.5 out the door, i'd only added in rar handling a few hours beforehand so it wasn't done.

as soon as i can i'll be looking into this one again since i need to work on the issues with certain input plugins still (so much to do, so little time to do it in, if only i could win the lottery and then not have to work at the weekend )

-daz
Old 25th April 2005, 00:44   #43
eh?one

love this plugin
/me patiently awaits the next version
Old 25th April 2005, 23:31   #44
Agu Fungus

It works pretty slow, but it works fine otherwise.

There are some suggestions that might make it work faster:

1)Instead of loading a single file from an archive, extract all files in a temporary folder so that when played it won't have the need take a lot of time to load it (which also makes Winamp to lock up sometimes).

2)Please remove the "(Archive)" bit from the playlist.

3)If a file is not loaded, it won't let me see the file info. Please fix that too.

I think that's all.
Old 26th April 2005, 01:56   #45
DrO

when you say slow, in what way is it 'slow'?

1) it's done on a single extraction since it's designed for karaoke purposes and extracting the file when needed is the best way to ensure it's there when needed. extracting all of the zip at the same time will take longer for the first file and then increases the complexity in tracking the files to play. potentially it could be added in to extract the next track in the background or something like that depending on winamp's shuffle mode. however you will always potentially get a slight delay when an archive is played due to the extra processing needed.

2) on the todo list as an option to control/customise playlist formatting

3) this is still only an early working preview build and a lot of the potential features are not enabled/coded into the plugin. considering what i was doing to the code in the few hours before 0.5 was released, i'm surprised it even works as it does

-daz
Old 22nd May 2005, 02:49   #46
evolution76

Send a message via Yahoo to evolution76
So does this play winRAR files?
Old 22nd May 2005, 04:15   #47
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
It doesn't play RAR files, it only acts as a conduit between packaged files and Winamp. It plays the packaged files in a RAR or ZIP file.

Read the first post in this thread for more info.
Old 3rd July 2005, 06:25   #48
oblivionxyz

Send a message via ICQ to oblivionxyz Send a message via AIM to oblivionxyz Send a message via Yahoo to oblivionxyz
rar - best compression method

It maybe slow if the file is too compressed
Old 14th July 2005, 03:33   #49
Seimour

Woa, this one rocks! (I tested the other day foobar and it takes too much time to load *.rar/*.zip files). Such a shame
Thanks to the author for this nice plugin!, a must have for those p2p lovers (like me) - No need to extract to a temp folder to listen to the tracks
Old 14th July 2005, 11:43   #50
fisher819

Send a message via Yahoo to fisher819
thanks should go to Dro the developper of this plugin along with many others.
and this plugin is still in it's very early stages, so in the future we should expect it to become better and better.

help us count :Click here
Old 11th August 2005, 01:03   #51
DrO

Status Update

It has been a long time since i last posted anything active about this plugin. Despite some people's views that i'd given up on it, that's not the case - i could think of a few other projects which do fall under that but this one definitely is not.

Anyway i've started the slow process of re-building the plugin's source code since it was affected by the back-up/hard drive crash i had a while back (which hit jtfe and a few other projects as well ).

The aims at the moment are to try to get back to the level of support with the 0.5.0 version but also fix some of the plugin handling issues which were reported with it (i've made initial fixes to some of them in the legacy queue support code which this one was using as well).

Depending on how things go, potentially the need for unrar.dll will be removed with the extraction code being added directly into this plugins code (though the makefile provided with unrar doesn't seem to allow for easily setting things upto work in a msvc6 project so will have to see how it goes with a bit more time/investigation).

So apart from the obvious code re-build and bug fixes, the first main new feature to be added in should be password handling for archives and making the rar handling better especially if the files are in a folder in the rar.

So for the time being dev time where i can find it will be devoted to trying to make a new testable build of this plugin (due to the code re-build things will be marked as R builds until i'm satisfied with the state of the plugin).

And that's the end of the update (not bad for a dead plugin heh )

-daz
Old 16th August 2005, 13:42   #52
DrO

question time...

with the passwords, how would people prefer them to be handled since in the process of re-implementing things i've started to add in the relevant password support (at least for rar files for the moment). the main reason for asking is because with rar files as soon as you attempt to extract any of the files the rar dll prompts for the password (which is starting to annoy me when testing things).

so the question is, how would people prefer the password files to be handled? the current ways i can think of would be...
  • enter every time manually when it's required
  • store the password for the root zip entry and then extracted entries would be queried back to that)
  • store the password with all extracted entries (as an extension of the previous idea which is the most tempting idea)
  • add to a password cache and look it up based on the archive's filename, properties, etc
  • something weird and wonderful that people suggest and turns out to be a better idea...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

as things stand with the re-build, i'm concentrating on working with the rar dll since it was the easiest to re-implement the required interfaces since the zip reader had been customised a fair bit. also what's people's views on lzma/7z support since i've got the lzma sdk on my work machine to have a look at and it seems it should be reasonably easy to add it into the plugin since i'm looking to alter the code to auto-decide which archive decoder to use soon so i don't have to mess around with extension checks, etc. for this to work properly i'd need to finish the changes for specifying which file extensions will be supported by the plugin and also which you can associate accordingly with winamp as default (if at all )

i'm stil not sure on when a 'R' build release will come out though i'm hoping the sooner the better since i want to get something working/useable again to then test/work from

-daz
Old 16th August 2005, 22:04   #53
fisher819

personally, i prefer the second method. but that's just me.
but one question. i didn't get what the third option does.

Old 17th August 2005, 15:44   #54
Mouser X

Well, I think the 2nd idea is probably the best one. However, perhaps I misunderstand what you're trying to say. Personaly, I'd have the ability to save passwords based on the file name of the archive (archive.rar requires (EATme) as the password, where as compressed.rar requires (FattY) as the password). That way, when/if the archives require differing passwords, you can still load it properly.

Another idea would be to ask for the password once, and then store that entry in a temporary location, so that as Winamp continues to access the file, it can simply go back to the stored password. Then, when Winamp closes, the password is destroyed, thereby cleaning up any security risk (unless they some how capture it while Winamp is running, and the password is stored who knows where). Those are the ideas I had.

As for inclusion of other compression formats, I say add them all! :P Honestly though, ZIPs and RARs are what I use the most. But it would be nice if it supported other formats, so that, just in case, if I happen to obtain another format, I can still load it.

Also, this was a requested feature (by me) a few pages back. Can you enable it to load multiple files at a time? I'd use it to listen to my USF and GSF sets. However, for those songs to run, you need to load both the *.minixSF, as well as the *.xSFlib file (which is where the audio data is actually stored). Also, instead of using a number for the place holder, have it setup so that it would actually read it as though it were a directory. Ex: is the SNESAMP plugin. When you load RARed SPCs with that plugin, they look like "Z:\music\compressed\album1.rar\Freddy - Bubsy Bobbsey.SPC" in the playlist, instead of the numbers that in_zip uses. With the directory structure, it's much easier to add the files into the ML. That way, all you have to do is extract the files to a directory called "album1.rar" and then add the files. Winamp thinks the files are there, even when you've removed the directory, and replaced it with the original compressed file.

Thanks in advance for you consideration, and help toward this plugin. I greatly look forward to it. Mouser X over and out.
Old 19th August 2005, 14:04   #55
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by fisher819
personally, i prefer the second method. but that's just me.
but one question. i didn't get what the third option does.
basically every entry created from the root archive entry ie zip://blah.. would have the password stored against with that.

after re-reading through things and messing around with things a bit i'm going to go more towards an internal cache of passwords linked to a filename (like Mouser mentioned and which is a mix of #2 and #4) which is then destroyed on exit (though i could add a quick option to save them to file as an option since i'm guessing someone will moan the passwords have to be re-entered all the time between use but it'd be a default off option so i'm covered incase of any mishaps )

Quote:
As for inclusion of other compression formats, I say add them all! :P Honestly though, ZIPs and RARs are what I use the most. But it would be nice if it supported other formats, so that, just in case, if I happen to obtain another format, I can still load it.
that was my thinking as well since really at the moment zip/rar/7z are the main ones out there that i can support without (too) much hassle.

Quote:
Also, this was a requested feature (by me) a few pages back. Can you enable it to load multiple files at a time?
i've not forgotten this one since in 0.5.0 it was hard coded to extract any cdg files if a mp3 was being played (since it was aimed initially for the karaoke users ) but once i've got the main extraction/integration re-coded and stable then i can look into making some form of rules mechanism so if filetype a is found then extract filetype b as well.

as for the number place holder, as an initial design implementation it was easier to work with things like that. i'm still not sure about altering/adapting things to work in that way you suggested since i want to expand the things so that in_zip will also wrap up the required plugin exports so as to allow it to properly integrate with the ml which then should allow everything to be kept in the zip but the ml treat it as near to being individual files as is possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as development goes...

in_zip will now play files in an archive again... well it's only from rar archives but it now properly handles rar files with folders in them (which did not extract out properly in 0.5.0) and it properly queries for passwords though i need to make the mods for the caching now

7z/lzma is partly implemented as of last night... though there's no working extraction (since i needed some sleep by then) but it will correctly extract out and display the number of valid files in the 7z file. the only issue is that the ansi decoder from the lzma sdk doesn't support/like archives with folders in them so i need to see if/how i can mod that code to support them since i don't fancy having to redistribute another dll(s) for 7z support as i've got to do with rar support (until i can find the time to properly build the dll's code into the plugin). also the ansi decoder only added 10k to the dll which is pretty good i thought.

so my main aims are to sort out the 7z code and re-enable the zip reader (which is almost re-done now) and then tidy up the code since it's a bit of a mess from the re-building. then an initial test build should be viable just to see what is/isn't working and how it works with the new code still not sure on when this'll be out, all depends on what time i manage to find to work on this but i hope soon since i need to know it is working

-daz
Old 22nd August 2005, 10:29   #56
DrO

test/preview build is scheduled for tonight with zip, rar and 7z (though this is slightly limited) support implemented. hopefully i'll have the full password handling implemented as well.
note: it will be marked as an alpha build since there are a few things that i won't have time to fix for tonight but it still should be useable

-daz
Old 22nd August 2005, 15:26   #57
callmeace

Hello DrO and thankyou for your time and work. I want to know about the 7z support. I remember that 7z has it's default preferred method of LZMA, but that also as far as I can recall it allowed the user to use other compression ways in 7z of ppmd and I think BZIP2. Will your plugin support these other encoded 7z which don't use LZMA? I don't know how common they are but I believe they are a lot slower to extract than LZMA encoded.

Thanks, to be clear I don't really need this support at the moment but I wondered and I guess it would be nice to be covered for those files.
Old 22nd August 2005, 16:07   #58
evolution76

I can not wait for this plugin.....i am going nuts over here
Old 22nd August 2005, 17:58   #59
DrO

evolution76: it already exists but hopefully the new version should fix a lot of the rar issues that were present in the original public release (since it was hacked in at the last minute)

callmeace: the 7z support will purely be lzma since i'm using a slightly modified version of the ansi lzma decoder from the sdk available. as for supporting the other variants 7-zip allows for, i'm not too sure if i'll do that since really if people are using 7z then it's fair to assume that they would be using the lzma type. hope that makes some sense/answers the question since i'm still getting to grips with the lzma sdk since i'm still looking into seeing if it's possible somehow to mod the example decoder to correctly handle 7z files with folders stored in them (since at the moment it'll abort trying to load the file if at least one is found)

-daz
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:41   #60
gaekwad2
Foorum King

(7-Zip's) Bzip2 isn't interesting anyway, it's 5X slower than LZMA and compression isn't exactly great either, tar.gz support would make more sense.

PPMd at least compresses a little faster, though iirc it's more suited for text.
code:
SIDs LZMA.7z 1.792 KB
SIDs PPMd.7z 2.183 KB
SIDs.tar.gz 2.384 KB
SIDs Bzip2.7z 2.573 KB
SIDs.zip 2.598 KB
SIDs.tar 6.165 KB

midis LZMA.7z 311 KB
midis PPMd.7z 350 KB
midis.tar.gz 401 KB
midis.zip 412 KB
midis Bzip2.7z 416 KB
midis.tar 1.384 KB

Old 23rd August 2005, 02:09   #61
DrO

in_zip v0.5.1.0 alpha
  • Reworked the zlib integration to better handle passworded zips (works for the original zip password specs)
  • Properly implemented the unrar support so as to handle passworded rars and also ones with the file(s) stored in folders within the rar
  • Integrated the lzma (7z) ansi decoder into the plugin (will not work with 7z files which contain folders in them)
  • Removed all '(Archive)' strings from the added playlist entries on request
  • Removed zip / rar entries from the Winamp Preferences filetypes list since it was not a safe option (this may come back as an option though)
  • Improved certain aspects of the temp file creation / cleanup (still needs some better handling to clean up even if Winamp crashed / exited incorrectly whilst playing back an archive file or the plugin just messed up)
  • Fixed handling of playback to advance correctly to the next track in the playlist if the archive entry could not be extracted / properly played
  • Altered the usage of unrar.dll to look first in \Plugins\in_zip\ and then scan the default system search paths (so if you already have unrar.dll in the Winamp root directory then you can remove the in_zip folder - the installer will be improved in future to allow for this distinction earlier on)
  • Fixed a few minor bugs related to pointer checks, etc
  • Other things i can't remember but a lot has been either re-worked or fully re-written
get v0.5.1.0

there's a few rough edges i'm aware of that i'll post up once i've got some sleep (had to work 3 hours longer than i'd hoped to get this out tonight) and compared to 0.5.0 there are new features but also some of the features in it (i know at least the auto cdg extraction is currently borked) are not present for the time being.

better playback handling, password handling (since it'll prompt on every play of a passworded archive since i ran out of time to finish the cache code), extraction of file x also needs file y to be extracted will come back and the extraction file order based on a m3u/pls file stored in the archive will also go in

if you find any issues then let me know (most likely it'll be issues with other input plugins again i bet since i've not had a chance to properly test the new code with a wide variety of files - gaekwad2:: if you've still got that example zip then that'd be nice to have again since i lost that with the code loss of this one i think) and some may just be how things work/not implemented properly

enjoy the bugfest er ride people

-daz
Old 23rd August 2005, 02:25   #62
evolution76

Oops sorry i mean i could not wait until the new build came out...Everything you put out RULES
Old 23rd August 2005, 07:06   #63
fisher819

every time i added a zip file, winamp crashes.
this is the log that comes after the crash.
Attached Files
File Type: txt debugdmp.txt (13.3 KB, 654 views)

Old 23rd August 2005, 08:26   #64
DrO

disable the missing file highlighting in jtfe and see how that works (is one of the 'issues' present )

-daz
Old 23rd August 2005, 13:59   #65
DrO

a partial / general changelog is up now.

the main issues i'm aware of with the build at the moment are...
  • if an archive was played on exit and you have a playback resumer (like my one ) then in the majority of cases the file will be partly played but Winamp's playback state can become messed up (paused/unpaused states seem to flip around) and winamp will likely crash on exit
  • if the view file info dialog on the root archive entry has not been shown or an archive not played then attempting to refresh the playlist information will cause incorrect title(s) to be displayed for all zip:// entries
  • adding files to the playlist with the missing file highlighter in jtfe will crash jtfe (i believe - still need to check this one out)
  • if playback fails to init correctly then multiple temp files can be created and the playback will skip through zip:// entries (this may not be present though since just before release i quickly added in better handling of a failed playback extraction so this may not be applicable anymore)
  • depending on how the 7z files have been created, if solid compression was used (ie all files in one block in the archive) then the time for the file to start playing can take a while compared to some of the other formats - non-solid compression works like zip/rar from my tests
so basically for general useage without restoring playback of an archived entry on start shouldn't cause any direct crashes in the plugin. and so endeth my lunch time update

-daz
Old 24th August 2005, 11:44   #66
callmeace

Aha, thanks for that information Dro. I think you are correct that the majority of normal users will use 7z format default of LZMA - and that indeed there doesn't seem any advantage for audio files like mp3 & ogg in using alternative copmpressions over LZMA anyway

@gaekwad2
LZMA is fastest for compress and decompress at these settings and here's some quick test results on 3 mp3s (LZMA wins) (LZMA & PPMD encoding settings chosen for ~max 575mbs used for encoding)

12,718,321 bytes - original 3 mp3s
12,313,380 bytes - 7z_Ultra_LZMA_Dict48_Word255_Solid.7z
12,343,692 bytes - 7z_Ultra_PPMD_Dict512_Word32_Solid.7z
12,318,126 bytes - 7z_Ultra_BZIP2_Dict900kb_Solid.7z
Old 24th August 2005, 13:03   #67
fisher819

Quote:
disable the missing file highlighting in jtfe and see how that works
i tried disabling and enabling the missing file, but it still crashes.

Old 24th August 2005, 13:09   #68
fisher819

i uninstalled JTFE, but winamp caused an error when playing a zip file.this is the error:
"the instruction at 0x7c80d189 referenced memory at 0x00000001 . the memory could not be read.

Old 24th August 2005, 13:40   #69
DrO

i bet there's a string check for the title or something not working right. can you try it with the playlist title reading to only be done when an item is played

-daz
Old 24th August 2005, 13:55   #70
gaekwad2
Foorum King

That may be it.

I also get the crash when adding zip or 7z archives.
After changing the Metadata reading prefs it doesn't crash immediately anymore, however with zipped oggs it refuses to play any, displaying only the last file's name and with mp3s some play, some play mangled, and after a while "Winamp has encountered a problem" pops up.

Edit: Could it be caused by tags at the beginning of files? Mp3s without ID3v2 tags seem to play fine.
Old 24th August 2005, 14:07   #71
DrO

the mangled playback is due to the api forwarding not initialising correctly and then it'll blow up eventually as you've found. the restore playback issue appears to be related to that so hopefully when i track down/fix that then that issue shouldn't be a problem anymore since i still can't see at the moment why it does mess up like it does

the title display issue is down to something not properly implemented on my end in that successful playback needs to take effect first (since i ran out of time to port in the code from playlist separator which would work around that issue).

oh the fun of alpha releases

just seen the edit, is it only id3v2 tagged files that are giving the problems since i've only tested with id3v1 files?

-daz
Old 24th August 2005, 14:12   #72
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Seems to be the case, so far all files with id3v1 and APE tags play.
Old 24th August 2005, 14:29   #73
DrO

k, that gives me something to test against now

-daz
Old 24th August 2005, 19:37   #74
fisher819

Quote:
can you try it with the playlist title reading to only be done when an item is played
zip files are working fine now.

off topic: in the preferences the version of the plugin is 0.5.0.9.8R while in your post above it's 0.5.1.0

Old 24th August 2005, 20:00   #75
fisher819

another thing i noticed (i know, i'm becoming annoying )

when adding a directory, zip files are not added, whereas rar are added.

Old 24th August 2005, 23:16   #76
DrO

i'll look into things in the next few days (not around to properly code for a while but all things are noted). the preferences issue is down to releasing a build at some stupid time in the morning and not making sure i'd updated the version internally

-daz
Old 29th August 2005, 13:00   #77
DrO

in_zip v0.5.2.0 alpha
  • Implemented initialisation code from in_text (aka Playlist Separator) which should help to resolve most of the crash issues
  • Added in some extra handling just incase which will cope with the above change not working
  • Fixed the reported version information about by the plugin
  • Fixed crash on exit issues due to incorrect plugin cleanup (this makes it a lot more stable)
  • Adjusted the initialisation workings of the plugin to detect and handle the other input plugins somewhat better
  • Implented temp folder clean up processing (for when Winamp plays an archive and it crashes for whatever reason so that now it'll keep your temp folder healthier)
  • Added in a check which force stops archive playback when Winamp is closing inorder to properly handle working with Time Restore and Autoplay (in that it won't restore the playback position which was causing crash/lock-up issues - will be removed when i get restore to properly work again)
get v0.5.2.0

This update should fix the crash issues (basically there was a check against the currently supported filetypes and this was failing and then crashed Winamp since the error handling was not 100% to cope with that situation )

I've tried an example mp3 with just id3v2 tags both with this and the previous build and i get full extraction/playback working so i'm not too sure what's going on with gaekwad's issue.

With the not adding in of zip files via the add folders window, the reason for that is because of the removal of zip/rar from the file types list which Winamp uses to work out what to or not to add. I need to add in some more code to handle this so that they don't appear in the filetypes list but are still detected (more fun stuff )

I messed up the 0.5.1.2 release so here's a more stable version (i hope and it's the right dll this time as well without any beeps coming from it!)

-daz
Old 29th August 2005, 13:32   #78
DrO

if you downloaded this in the last half hour then please re-download it again since i messed up and included the wrong version of the plugin so for now it will be shipping as the debug version since i've already started modding the normal release version

-daz
Old 29th August 2005, 14:48   #79
evolution76

I will say i love this plugin....but i am having a problem. The plugin will not work for me. When i try to play a zip or rar file it makes my computer beep. It is crazy

Win 2000
256 mb
16bit video card
30 hardrive

and i put a list of my plugin on this too
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (2.7 KB, 529 views)
Old 29th August 2005, 15:05   #80
DrO

i messed up the 0.5.1.2 release so i've removed the installer from the site. the beep is something left in from testing but it still shouldn't be messing up but i think the 'fixed' build i put up is broken as well

will have to wait a few hours to let me get the relevant changes, etc done and then can see if the changes do properly work, oops

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion