Old 5th January 2005, 12:31   #1
DrO

Explorer Playlist (Currently Preview)

Explorer Playlist lives again (well near enough with this preview of the plugin which is under development). Those of you who were aware/used Winamp3 will remember schweitn will hopefully remember some of his funky wacs with the greastest imho being the Explorer Playlist one

Well what's the point of this? Well it allows you to browse your machine like you do in Windows Explorer and selecting the folder will then add in the files that exist in that folder (well that's the basic option for it all). This new version is a re-working of the original idea as best works for the 2.9x/5.x series of Winamp (since there's no sidecar in it which is where explorerpl resided in its day).

Preview Build (0.1.6): not a lot happens really other than it just works (remember to back up your current playlist first since it will replace it so you've been warned!! Later versions will backup/restore the original playlist)

here and then hit 'P' in the main Winamp window (you may need to switch to a classic skin for it to appear correctly for the first time :/ )

* There are no config options available to be used as the settings button shows (though internally it's all there just i ran out of time last night).
* Under XP some of the folders may be duplicated in the folder list and it's to be looked into once i've got XP installed.
* Playlist handling is implemented but with no config options you can't enable it at the moment. Also no settings are saved but that's still to be implemented in the explorerpl core (since it's designed and proven to work with multiple instances of the core - useful for plex )

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_explorerpl.zip (11.0 KB, 1320 views)
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 13:23   #2
Cianca

fuckin' amazing!!!

first bug: Hit on windowshade "-" button doesn't work (on second click)

The universal god of light, love, wisdom and rok n rol
Cianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 13:36   #3
DrO

yeah, the skinned frame handling is a bit iffy occasionally (it's using the same code as jtfe does but jtfe uses the fixed frame version which doesn't have that bug.

will be putting up a new version tonight i hope with the settings able to be set and all that

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 13:43   #4
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Is it just me, or is pressing 'P' doesn't seem to do anything (was already using a classic skin)?

Edit: nevermind that, apparently it was downloaded as a skin for some odd reason, so I didn't notice it was actually a zipped file. sigh.

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 13:47   #5
DrO

hmm, Egg was having that issue as well once but then a switch of skins and a restart worked iirc. what OS, etc are you using?

[edit]doh!

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 13:48   #6
YtseJam
Forum King

I'm on XP-SP2.

Now that I've got it to working, wasn't the idea of EP was to have a 'new' PL that will resemble the Winamp 3 one? Or is that still to come...?

Old 5th January 2005, 13:55   #7
DrO

this is different from extended playlist (plex) (which i think is what you mean). with this i'm doing it separately since i need the feature and plex is in no working state for what i currently want at the moment.

due to that i've designed the core in this plugin to work fine for multiple instances of the core so that other plugins (plex) can call the core as needed and have the feature implemented without re-coding the wheel again for it (hopefully i got what you mean)

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 13:59   #8
YtseJam
Forum King

Ah you're right, I guess I was subconsciously hoping for PLex.

Oh well...

Old 5th January 2005, 14:08   #9
DrO

due to other things i'm moving plex to be essentially when it's at the level i want it to be a grouping of three plugins... plex itself, in_zip and this (explorerpl for showing the sidecar api i hope)

the main thing(s) holding plex back at the moment is it's running old frame handling code, the winamp integration isn't 100% yet and the caching/display of the playlist entries is borked (since i tweaked things the wrong way). it's not dead, just dormant whilst the other two areas are dealt with first

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 14:10   #10
Cianca

mmm

this plugin add on my playlist the entry "1. explorer"

i delete it and hit 'p' to load explorer playlist window

when i select a directory that contain some songs the plugin re-add the entry "1. explorer" on my playlist... that entry formally is "C:\Program Files\Winamp\explorer.m3u"

hit play nothing happen because the path "C:\Program Files\Winamp\explorer.m3u" doesn't exist

Old 5th January 2005, 14:35   #11
DrO

hmm, what's the default action you've got set for external playlists? since the code is using what i think happens when you drag a playlist on top of Winamp so that it'll parse the temp playlist i make which is then removed straight after the message is sent (which may not be long enough for some systems maybe, dunno tho)

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 20:00   #12
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
Re: Explorer Playlist (Currently Preview)

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
* Under XP some of the folders may be duplicated in the folder list and it's to be looked into once i've got XP installed.
it does this, but it also overwrites other folders. running sp2, it shows 5x my ebooks, but doesnt show my music, my pictures...etc. when i click the parent folder, it doesnt recognize the music in my music, and adds things from folders my ebooks didnt overwrite.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 20:42   #13
DrO

hmm, wonder why it's doing that since win2k is fine and i'm sure there's no problems with win98 (checked under vmware and that's fine as well)

/me ponders why it messes up under xp sp2

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 20:49   #14
electricmime
Major Dude

maybe because sp2 sucks and everything messes up under it?

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 20:51   #15
siebe83
Forum King

Same here: of 19 folders in a specific folder, one is displayed 14 times, another is displayed 4 times and the other 17 aren't displayed at all... But I guess you'll look into it

I also have the same issue as Cianca has: only one entry, explorer.m3u, whatever folder I select.
The default action for .m3u files is just 'Play in Winamp' (if that's what you meant)
Also, dragging other playlists to Winamp works fine.

If relevant:

Windows XP SP2
Dell Dimension DIM2400
Celeron CPU 2.20 Ghz
256 MB RAM
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
CD: Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max
DirectX 9.0c

Other than that, it crashes sometimes, but I guess this is not the moment yet for bug reports... (or is it?)

[edit]
Slow typing: two other posts in the mean time. Oh well... If you need more info, ask for it

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 20:56   #16
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by electricmime
maybe because sp2 sucks and everything messes up under it?
i'm starting to agree hence why i won't install it on my machine (currently)

siebe83: yeah, if there are bugs then i'd rather know now but i'm aware that occasionally it crashes out when changing the selected folder (maybe it's related to this xp bug )

Quote:
The default action for .m3u files is just 'Play in Winamp' (if that's what you meant)
yeah, that's what i meant. what does the playlist entry (ctrl+e) actually show?

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 20:57   #17
electricmime
Major Dude

originally made it an edit, but anyway

besides a few of what others have said.. it starts up when i hit 'ctrl p' for prefrences.. thats the only thing i have seen that nobody else has mentioned

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 20:59   #18
DrO

hehe, it does it for me as well now (the code for that is a bit ropey still - could explain that jtfe bug now...)

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 21:02   #19
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

yeah, that's what i meant. what does the playlist entry (ctrl+e) actually show?
Doh!

The same as Cianca: C:\Program Files\Winamp\explorer.m3u
That might be the cause (at least, for me), since I installed Winamp to a different folder...
(i.e. C:\Program Files\Winamp507)

I'll install Winamp to the default folder to see wether that's the problem.

Btw, if I look under config panel under file type associations, it does say "C:\Program Files\Winamp507\winamp.exe" "%1" for .m3u files...

Old 5th January 2005, 21:04   #20
DrO

yeah, that's why!! i forgot to make the code use the current dir (was late last night :/ )

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 21:07   #21
siebe83
Forum King

Well, just to confirm: I installed to the default folder and it works fine now
(hope it's the same for Cianca...)

Old 5th January 2005, 21:08   #22
DrO

i'll be fixing it in a bit, just need to look into this xp issue

-daz
Old 5th January 2005, 22:16   #23
siebe83
Forum King

I hope you can sort it out... If I can test anything, let me know

Btw, since I installed it to the default folder, I can't reproduce the crash anymore (it would crash when folding a folder, DrWatson crashed as well).

Old 5th January 2005, 23:00   #24
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
As usual, good job, Dro!

I haven't tried it yet but post back when you've resolved the XP issue and at that time I'll beta-test "alpha-test" it on this old Win95 box for you.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 02:01   #25
DrO

Nunzio: lol, it's fine on anything other than XP SP2 it seems.

-------------------------------------------

Attached is 0.1.7 which fixes the issue with it not loading the playlist when Winamp is installed to anything other than C:\Program Files\Winamp

a 0.2.0 would have been done but i've suffered some bad hdd issues tonight as i was going to back up my recent work. this plugin only lost one header file which was easily fixed. the others affected were in_zip, gen_kjofol and jtfe which was hit the worst since the others are early in development and were having code re-writes - hopefully i can get back most of what was making 0.96fff from the file fragment's i've recovered otherwise i've got a long few months getting back to where it was and yes i know i should have backed up sooner but going to back things up fooked my hdd things will be fixed so not to worry i guess

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_explorerpl.zip (11.0 KB, 412 views)
Old 6th January 2005, 03:34   #26
gaekwad2
Foorum King

A small annoyance: explorer playlist also pops up when you hit ctrl-p (and I can also confirm the XP SP2 bug ).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 07:16   #27
siebe83
Forum King

That sucks, Darren. Hopefully you can get some stuff back without rewriting it al...

Old 6th January 2005, 08:13   #28
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
That sucks, Darren. Hopefully you can get some stuff back without rewriting it al...
feature wise i can re-code it all back in which isn't a problem, it's just the time it's going to take to scan those files and re-do what's needed (though in someways it may be a blessing since i needed to clean up a lot of the code as it was :/ )

[edit]
just checked and looking at the donations i've received there's enough in there to get me a dvd-rw drive so that will be ordered asap

due to this all i'm going to not be around much for a while so i can concentrate on my coding, etc inorder to get myself back to at least where i was with most of the projects, just so fecking annoyed for this happening

-daz
Old 6th January 2005, 09:50   #29
Mouser X

Hmmm. I have XP SP1 installed, and I'm still getting the "duplicate folder" bug. Someone said that though some of their folders didn't show up, one of them provided the results from one of the "invisable" folders. I beleive they clicked on one of the duplicates of their music folder (be it called whatever) and instead got the results from their ebooks folder. I'm not even getting that. There's folders missing, and clicking on a duplicate still brings up what's in that duplicated folder.

I know you know full well about this bug, and that you plan to fix it. I'm only bringing this up in the hopes that it will help, in some way, clarify things.

Thanks again for the great plugin! I'm glad to see that PLex still has some steam behind it, even if that steam is fueling other tihngs right now, so that they can later be used for PLex. However, the one I look forward to the most on is in_zip! That is a dream come true!!! Thank you so much! Good luck with the recovery, and hopefully it will be quick, and mostly painless (I say mostly since it's obvious that some "pain" has already been caused). Mouser X over and out.
Mouser X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 11:00   #30
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouser X
Hmmm. I have XP SP1 installed, and I'm still getting the "duplicate folder" bug.
that's the confirmation i needed (so basically XP is just being a pain). well i've got to look for some example code on the net that i know works on XP systems for what i need to see why mine is broken.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouser X
I'm glad to see that PLex still has some steam behind it, even if that steam is fueling other tihngs right now, so that they can later be used for PLex. However, the one I look forward to the most on is in_zip! That is a dream come true!!!
well plex always was initially just a testbed for the frame skinning (for the 3 or 4 times i re-did it) but i tend to use smaller plugins for testing things for other ones, just i've sort of slit things into larger parts for a change with the plex setup.

as for the files, i've remembered whilst at work that there's potentially newer files on my win98 vmware install for jtfe (which should be somewhere between the 0.96f and 0.96ff builds) which is easier to recover from. it's just a pain it's happened when i was going to back things up the new dvdrw i'm ordering later today will help my backup issues (i hope)

-daz
Old 7th January 2005, 12:07   #31
DrO

i've found the cause of the xp issues and as normal it's something that's bloody simple

between work this weekend (since i'm back to work at my second job) so i'll try when i can to finish updating this to allow for configuration, etc of the options in it

also attached is a screenie of something i was dabbling with last night just imagine it skinned in the same style as the rest of winamp... mmm
Attached Images
File Type: png explorerplml.png (13.0 KB, 1691 views)
Old 7th January 2005, 18:13   #32
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Add some player controls and a button to toggle the main window and you have an iTunes killer.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2005, 18:32   #33
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
Add some player controls and a button to toggle the main window and you have an iTunes killer.
hehehe

i'd rather do Delete("itunes.exe"); but that's just too easy

-daz
Old 9th January 2005, 03:15   #34
DrO

and here's a screenie of the current test build in use
all that's now needed is a quick hack of a prefs dialog and the next build will be out

-daz
Attached Images
File Type: png explorerplmlwnd.png (29.2 KB, 708 views)
Old 9th January 2005, 07:49   #35
shins

looks awesome. Really appreciate the hard work DrO.
shins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 12:55   #36
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
VERY VERY NICE DrO, Another GREAT plugin by the hands of the master

I was going to sugest ML integration but guess I'm too late for that

Keep up the good work and goog luck on recovering those lost files in the hdd accident

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 13:59   #37
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by d3x7r0
I was going to sugest ML integration but guess I'm too late for that
hehe, got to blame Egg for reminding me about doing it i'll also be adding in a full ml view for it as a entry in the ml tree (configurable of course) so that covers everyone i think (separate window, ml view, ml sub window [as in the previews] )

-daz
Old 9th January 2005, 16:41   #38
mrym

Great! I'm currently using dynamic library for removal media and temporary dir.
It would be nice to integrate to ML.
mrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 19:09   #39
Cianca

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
hehe, got to blame Egg for reminding me about doing it i'll also be adding in a full ml view for it as a entry in the ml tree (configurable of course) so that covers everyone i think (separate window, ml view, ml sub window [as in the previews] )

-daz
I love you

Old 9th January 2005, 19:10   #40
Cianca

DrO can you make an option to set the initial dir of exlorer playlist? (in place of 'Desktop')

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion