Old 7th April 2005, 04:58   #1
systrum

creative commons

I was under the impression that if i stream music published under a creative commons license then i do not require any kind of broadcasting license. can anyone confirm this? or does anyone know otherwise?
systrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 05:33   #2
SorceryKid

That is correct. However, keep in mind that the license does accordingly state that a copy of the license or a URL to the license text must be provided to the end-user and a notice of the copyright by the author must be intact with the work (if you are performing the music). How the former would be technologically feasible, I am not entirely sure (in-stream meta data may be a possibility). But if you wanted to go by the letter of the creative commons license, you would need to devise a way for to maintain and provide such information.

Also keep in mind that you must not receive any monies in association with the performance of the work, this would include subscription payments for reception of your broadcast by listeners. Donations would appear not to be exempt. While not intended primarily for commercial advantage, they are nonetheless monetary compensation.

Hope this helps,

--Randall

Executive Director, SWCI
www.smallwebcaster.org // Redefining Music Royalties for Small Webcasters

Legal Disclaimer: The information hereinbefore is not intended to constitute legal advice or consultation nor does it form a legally binding contract.
SorceryKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 05:46   #3
systrum

Thank you very much. This helps me a lot.
systrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions