Old 7th April 2005, 05:18   #1
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Winamp x64?

YES I did a search on this, and it came up with an older thread (a poll, actually) on a 64-bit version of Winamp. But that was over four months ago. Now that Windows XP x64 Edition is on the verge of a Final Release, I think it may be time to seriously look into at least a beta of an x64 version of Winamp. At the moment I'm running the latest beta of XP x64, and Winamp 5.08e works fine despite some hiccupping during the install (something about it not meshing with some shared dll's in WMP). Just thought I'd refresh the topic though, because it bugs me to no end, having to emulate 32-bit to run a legacy Winamp version.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 00:17   #2
peaceofcake

There's gotta be another program on your pc besides winamp that's 32 bit. Doesn't windows run in both modes all the time anyways no matter what?
peaceofcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 03:15   #3
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
At the moment, the only 32-bit processes running are Winamp, mIRC, and Firefox. Everything else is 64-bit.

here's a screenshot (red markers added next to 32-bit processes).

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 04:50   #4
Drefsab

same hear plus I use some of the cd features of winamp pro but in x64 I cant, I have to dual boot into 32bit if I want to burn/rip a cd and thats on the final version.
Drefsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 22:09   #5
bobbintb

yea i would like to see that too.
btw, firefox is 64-bit now but its called deer park.
bobbintb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 10:54   #6
MasterViVi

So wrong...
Deer Park is just the codename for Firefox 1.1a. It IS 32bit. There has been an indepent 64bit compile, but they're outdated.

Besides, if you didn't notice it was 32bit, then why do you need a 64bit one? ^^
MasterViVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2005, 16:45   #7
maxxjag

Send a message via ICQ to maxxjag
I think it's a good idea, because from what I've and understand it would be an app like Winamp that would benefit from 64bit. (Video and Audio probably mostly encoding rather than decoding but still) Might perhaps get higher res over streams because of faster real time decoding of samples. I might be a programmer but Audio/Video does elude me, I work mostly in 3d, Win32 type stuff.
maxxjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 22:02   #8
nowhre2hide

I would just like to say that re-coding a version of winamp for x64 would rock, becuase i know i have x64 and winamp does not run very smoothly. i have tried to reinstall with hopes that a clean install would help but it didnt. i get random bugs causing winamp to freeze and when i shut down winamp does a hang and stops my computer from shutting down its a shame because i love winamp and have been using it since 1.0
nowhre2hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 23:03   #9
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
@nowhre2hide

I'm by no means experienced with Windows XP 64-bit, but with even Windows XP 32-bit, you can set compatibility options (right click program > Compatibility tab > Run this program in compatibility mode for [insert Windows version here]).

What happens if you do this? Does Winamp playback quality/functionality improve?

jmat
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 13:49   #10
OdessaCubbage

I run windows x64 bit and winamp works fine with the 32 bit version, a program like winamp does not need the full potential of 64 bit processor. Even if you run a 32 bit program in windows x64 it still gets a slight proformance gain anyway.

Also setting the compatability setting just tricks the program to thinking that it is running on a different operating system, it does not actually make the program function differently.
Old 25th September 2006, 23:29   #11
Cynagen

Quote:
Originally posted by OdessaCubbage
I run windows x64 bit and winamp works fine with the 32 bit version, a program like winamp does not need the full potential of 64 bit processor. Even if you run a 32 bit program in windows x64 it still gets a slight proformance gain anyway.

Also setting the compatability setting just tricks the program to thinking that it is running on a different operating system, it does not actually make the program function differently.
I need to throw my two pennies in here and contradict this statement. There is nowhere that I have seen (aside from processor intensive applications like video and audio encoding,) that 64bit has ever helped a 32bit application running under a 32bit emulated environment. In fact, the simple word 'emulate' thusly implies performance hit automatically. The only reason a 32bit application gets any performance boost is if the 64bit environment has Physical Address Extensions enabled, which is a 32bit feature to allow addressing of more memory with less hit to performance. (It causes a sort of doubled effect, since 64bit can address craploads more memory a lot faster, tie that in with a 32bit tech that does the same, whatever they do together works.)

Now, as far as a 64bit winamp? I would not go that far. 64bit NSV encoding tools, sure, 64bit mp3 encoding tools, sure. You're right, Winamp doesn't need all that extra power and memory addressing. Honestly, when does it ever need it? Answer is only when it's gotta do everything software. Winamp used less than 5% CPU time at any given polling on Task Manager, and now in my 64bit with winamp under the WOW64 32bit emulation service, it uses less than 2%, but just to be fair, the only time i see it is when it does spike up to 2% in the middle of a song (reading from HDD) or changing songs (also reading).
Cynagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 00:22   #12
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

The only places where winamp has needed work in the past, and possibly still to this day, was in threading. quite a number of things were causing repaints to stall, which in a fully skinned application obviously isnt a plus.

I haven't seen this occur in a long while. But I suppose in the same respects, my machine is also much more powerful now than in the past.

Either way, there is obviously huge benefit to multithreading with newer processer architectures, 64bit or not.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 20:17   #13
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
Curious... Lets say for the sake of arguement, that we where given a x64 version of Winamp. How would compatibility be with all of the existing 32-bit plugins? Would the thousands of plugins out there just have to be thrown out the window?

(Note: I dont have 64bit hardware, and have never looked into it, so I am complete clueless on DLL compatiblity between 32/64-bit on windows)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Darkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 20:24   #14
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

you'd have to have x64 versions of the plugins as well due to the way you can't have x32 plugins in a x64 process (or something like that from what i remember). so yeah, it'd kill the existing plugin support (and i know that i'm not going to make x64 versions since although i could compile them there's little i can do for testing them out heh)

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 21:12   #15
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkain
Curious... Lets say for the sake of arguement, that we where given a x64 version of Winamp. How would compatibility be with all of the existing 32-bit plugins? Would the thousands of plugins out there just have to be thrown out the window?

(Note: I dont have 64bit hardware, and have never looked into it, so I am complete clueless on DLL compatiblity between 32/64-bit on windows)
That's the major reason we're not in any huge rush to bring out a 64bit version.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:52   #16
pauloandes

If somebody is complaining about the amount of resources a 32bit bassed app can waste ina 64bit environment, then U can use Winamp 2.95. It won't let you down...
pauloandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist