Old 28th May 2005, 19:23   #1
Drasica

The problem behind the [error syncing to mpeg]

Before a mod moves this off to tech support--- I am NOT looking for a fix to this error message. I am simply curious as to what exactly is the problem behind this error message:

[error syncing to mpeg]

What isn't happening that is supposed to? What is going wrong?

Again, I'm not looking for a fix--- but I am asking why it showed up in the first place.
Drasica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 19:48   #2
siebe83
Forum King

It can have several causes, but basically it just means Winamp tries to play a stream as if it were an mp3 and then fails for some reason.
Most common I think is when you try to play a WMA stream not ending on .wma, so Winamp will assume it's an mp3 stream and then fails. Solution: tell Winamp it's a WMA stream by adding /.wma to the url.
The same can happen if you try to play a NSV or video stream while you don't have the full version of Winamp (needed to play NSV/video streams).

If you tell Winamp to play a stream and it doesn't find a known extension in the url, it will assume it's mp3 (as set in Prefs > Playlist). If then turns out it's not mp3, you'll get that error.

I think it's like that...

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 23:28   #3
JonnyMac

Corrupted MP3s can cause that error.

Also, firewalls can sometimes cause the error. If Winamp "thinks" it is playing a file blocked by a firewall, that error message will show.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion