Old 30th December 2005, 20:40   #1
richard87

Uninstalling all files for Sonic Burning engine?

Winamp installed the following files which I think are related to the Sonic Burning engine, but only uninstalls the first one (PXSDKPLS.dll / primosdk.dll).

C:\Program Files\Winamp\PXSDKPLS.dll (primosdk.dll as from Winamp 5.3x)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PxHelp20.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\px.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpya64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpyi64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxdrv.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxhpinst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxinsa64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxinsi64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxmas.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxsfs.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxwave.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxwma.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vxblock.dll

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and uninstalling (both the lite and full free versions of winamp 5.12) with the same result. The registry is full of references to these files so I don't know if just deleting them is safe. I removed one registry entry for PxHelp20.sys using Sysinternal's "Autoruns" (which listed it), but when I rebooted I got some kind of warning in Window XP's Device Manager for my DVD-writer drive (which I can recreate and quote exactly, if someone needs to know).

I've searched the forums, but I've only seen people mention deleting the PXSDKPLS.dll file, or doing full uninstalls, then reinstalling with the Sonic Burning engine unchecked. This does not uninstall any of the files in Windows\system32. Apologies up front if I've missed something.

One thing I have noticed, after you have uninstalled Winamp: if you go into Device Manger and go into the Properties for your DVD writer, go to the Driver Tab and click on "Driver Details..." you will still see the pxhelp20.sys file listed. Is this file necessary?

Can I just delete these files? Does anyone know what registry entries need to be removed, particularly to avoid any warnings in Device Manager?

I've had some odd burning issues with other software, so I just wanted clean my system of unnecessary stuff (I don't use Winamp for burning).

Thanks for any help you can give.
richard87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 23:45   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

[Edit]

Please refer to my 2nd post below for the registry fix,
though be sure to read the bold notes at the end of this post first.

[/Edit]

The Winamp uninstaller does actually run a built-in pxsetup.exe /uninstall
but we've just checked, and it seems as though Sonic's uninstaller doesn't work.
Typical, eh!?

This will hopefully be looked into and fixed.

For now, you can try running the Command Prompt
(assuming you're running Win2k/XP: start > run > cmd)
and typing in the following

regsvr32 /u px.dll

(note the single space on each side of the "/u")

Hit ENTER

Repeat the same for all other files in your list except for pxhelp20.sys

Then type:

sc delete pxhelp20

Hit ENTER

regsvr32 /u C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PxHelp20.sys

Check to make sure the following Reg key no longer exists:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PxHelp20

(note that the "sc delete pxhelp20" command should've automatically removed that key)

Also check to see if all those files are no longer listed under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

(again, the regsvr32 /u commands should've auto removed the relevant strings)

Then reboot and just delete all those files.

Then reinstall Winamp and make sure Sonic Burning/Ripping Engine is unchecked in the installer options.

Any problems, then you'll need to reinstall with sonic again, until we can get a proper working uninstaller from Sonic.

Notes:
For other people reading this, please note that if you follow the above/below instructions, but you've also got some other Sonic product installed (eg. MyDVD, RecordNow, etc), then you will probably need to reinstall said app. However, in such cases, it's probably best to just delete pxsdkpls.dll from the Winamp dir and leave all the other files & registry entries as is. This will prevent the need to reinstall your other Sonic product(s).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 06:39   #3
richard87

Thanks for the detailed answer. But I encountered problems at each step that I can't figure out:

1. regsvr32 /u px.dll (also tried all the other px*.dlls)
I get an error prompt:

"px.dll was loaded, but the DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered."

(Yes, I did type the above cmd exactly, as well as several variations, eg. regsvr32.exe -u <fullpath>\px.dll)

I checked the registry and the file is still there at
HKLM\...\SharedDLLs. In fact, because I've already done a few install/uninstall cycles over the past day, the value for each file has now been bumped up to "3", while yesterday it was "1", so I guess each install bumps it up, but each uninstall does not decrement it.

2. sc delete pxhelp20
This worked ok, and the registry entry at
HKLM\...\Services\PxHelp20
was deleted (after reboot).

But I got another similar error with the command
regsvr32 /u C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PxHelp20.sys

"pxhelp20.sys was loaded, but the DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found. pxhelp20.sys does not appear to be a .DLL or .OCX file."

And it is still listed in the Registry at ...\SharedDLLs.

Also, because the "sc delete pxhelp20" did seem to work, I am now getting the following warning in Windows XP's Device Manager for my DVD-Writer:

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I googled all this and someone out there said I have to "manually remove it by deleting all pxhelp20 entries in the registry, including from inside the upper/lowerfilters for the CD devices." Not sure how to take this advice.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe I should just expect/wait for a patch from sonic? Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 31st December 2005, 10:11   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Oh, okay...

Try running the attached reg file.

This will remove all references to the sonic files from the registry.

Then reboot and just delete those sonic files.

Let us know how it goes.

Notes:
The .reg file assumes the path to your %System% dir is C:\WINDOWS\system32
If it isn't, then you will need to edit the .reg file in Notepad accordingly.
The .reg file assumes you don't have ANY other LowerFilters installed.
If you do, then I recommend removing the relevant lines from the .reg file
and then just manually editing out PxHelp20 from the LowerFilters string.
Also note that the .reg file is for use on Win2k/XP/2003 only, not Win9x/ME.
Be sure to delete PXSDKPLS.DLL from the Winamp dir before reopening Winamp
(though, as already established, the Winamp Uninstaller does remove this one file).
If/when reinstalling Winamp, remember to uncheck Sonic Burning/Ripping Support in the Installer Options.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sonicunreg.zip (602 Bytes, 790 views)
Old 2nd January 2006, 18:45   #5
richard87

Thanks for the registry script. I used it as a guide. I'm still testing my system, no problems yet.

In summary, here is what I did (which includes all your reco's). I did the registry edits manually because of one caveat - if anyone else is interested in registry details - in addition to what you said about having other Sonic products installed. I don't presume to be a registry expert, so please correct/comment on anything you see here.

To Clean out Sonic stuff:

A. Uninstalled Winamp (v5.12), this at least deletes C:\Program Files\Winamp\PXSDKPLS.dll

B. Deleted these values from the registry key (from your script):
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PxHelp20.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\px.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpya64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpyi64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxdrv.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxhpinst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxinsa64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxinsi64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxmas.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxsfs.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxwave.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxwma.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vxblock.dll

C.1 Manually deleted just the "PxHelp20" part of the data for the "LowerFilters" value of this key:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
(*Your script does this, but it looks like it wipes the whole data string. Mine was the string "PxHelp20 Cdr4_xp" where Cdr4_xp is related to my Roxio DirectCD driver, so blanking the whole string seems like it would it would mess with that, too.)

C.2 Manually deleted just the "PxHelp20" part of the data for the "Sources" value of this key:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System
(**My data was a very long string (of drivers?) which included "PxHelp20". This step may be unnecessary.)

C.3 Deleted this key (same as your script):
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\PxHelp20

C.4 Deleted this key (same as your script):
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PxHelp20

C.5 Repeated C.1-C.4 for HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001?, HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002, and HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003 (in mine, there weren't any matches under ControlSet001)

D. Rebooted, deleted all files (if they existed) listed in B. above, also deleted:
C:\WINDOWS\inf\pxhelp20.inf
C:\WINDOWS\inf\pxhelp20.pnf

The reason I did all the reg edits manually instead of your script was because of C.1 and C.2: don't know if there is any way in a regedit script to delete just part of a string value. Thanks for all your help.
Old 2nd January 2006, 19:38   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Aah, okay... I didn't know if you had any other LowerFilters from other burning software, but I've now added that info to the notes.

It would seem as though Sonic also acquired Roxio, which explains why you already had another PxHelp20 (Cdr4_xp) in your LowerFilters. So yeah, manually editing that particular string would be the wiser solution (ie. if you used my .reg file as is, then you would've needed to reinstall Roxio afterwards).

Ideally, the Winamp/Sonic installer should make a backup of the LowerFilters key and restore it on uninstall.
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:49   #7
djtaylor

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Ideally, the Winamp/Sonic installer should make a backup of the LowerFilters key and restore it on uninstall.
I disagree. Say Roxio Easy CD Creator was installed after Sonic Engine. The value for LowerFilters would be "PxHelp20 Cdr4_xp", and the backup value would be "".

It seems to me that this is a list of drivers separated by spaces, so a better solution would be to simply remove PxHelp20 from the list (plus the space), leaving just "Cdr4_xp" (or an empty string). After all, it is added to the list on installation, so the opposite should happen on uninstallation.
djtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:55   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, 2 year old thread.
As far as I know, the Sonic Uninstaller works properly now...
Old 8th October 2008, 18:01   #9
drugo

thanks it solved me a problem
drugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support