Old 23rd February 2006, 00:05   #1
astragal

mono switch.

For the few of us who are deaf in one ear and use headsets, and for others, who use uni-muff headsets.

I would love to see a "mono" switch in the winamp player.

Thanks for considering it, cl.
astragal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 01:10   #2
HepCatChris

I agree

Mono would be great. I have a few recordings that where mixed in a really wierd way (old songs, back when "Hi-Fi" systems where a brand new thing). They tried to do this fancy (stupid) stuff that would really let you notice you had stereo, but otherwise made it more of a pain to enjoy the song. Having an easy button to switch to mono when I put on one of these songs would be great. Especially since I'm not always aware ahead of time which one's will have this problem.

-- Chris Chapman
www.SeattleSwing.com
HepCatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 01:15   #3
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

There's a mono switch buried in the in_mp3 preferences. Go to Options > Preferences > Plugins > Input, select Nullsoft MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 audio decoder, click Configure, go to the Decoder tab & uncheck "Allow stereo output." Not exactly a quick toggle yet that's where you'll find it.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:33   #4
HepCatChris

I'm aware it's possible to set Winamp to mono, it's just not easy to do so for one song now and then. It would be great if there was a button/switch that allowed you to quickly switch between stereo and mono from time to time. Perhaps located near the shuffle and repeat buttons.

-- Chris Chapman
www.SeattleSwing.com
HepCatChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 04:59   #5
peaceofcake

Any way to do this for all formats. Many people's libraries are mixed format. If mono becomes part of the output plugin (where it belongs, imo, input plugins should decode, dsp should change the sound, and output plugins should change the volume and direct the audio stream to its final destination) then it would be easy to make an nxs xfade style plugin to toggle that option.
peaceofcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 05:01   #6
peaceofcake

For anyone not familiar with the nxs xfade plugin, it's a general plugin that contains just a check box and a slider to allow for quick control of the amount of crossfading, or to disable it. Pretty handy when you need to switch the settings on a per song basis.
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:44   #7
JonnyMac

Quote:
Originally posted by mistergecko
If mono becomes part of the output plugin (where it belongs, imo, input plugins should decode, dsp should change the sound, and output plugins should change the volume and direct the audio stream to its final destination) then it would be easy to make an nxs xfade style plugin to toggle that option.
I don't see such a thing on the horizon, so try the Somewhat Mono DSP/Effect plug-in as an alternative.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:34   #8
peaceofcake

Looks pretty good. Thanks.
Old 24th February 2006, 02:35   #9
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

there's a mono preset for the Signal Processing Studio

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 02:59   #10
JonnyMac

Yup...
Plug-ins > DSP/Effect > highlight/select 'Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio DSP' > click Configure button > click Load button > load/open 'justin – mix to mono'
However, the Somewhat Mono plug-in is closer to what mistergecko was talking about.

@ mistergecko
You're Welcome

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 12:06   #11
darrenforster99

Send a message via ICQ to darrenforster99 Send a message via AIM to darrenforster99
woah that sounds wierd...

Just tried the Justin - Mix to Mono plugin for a laugh to see what it would sound like on my Dolby 5.1 set up. All the other speakers stop playing music except the center one (guess that's why it's called Mono! LOL!)
darrenforster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 21:50   #12
koqlb1980

Send a message via AIM to koqlb1980 Send a message via Yahoo to koqlb1980
I'm a musician, and I record my own music in my DAW superstudio, so having the old NSP studio stuff helps a lot cuz if my stuff ever wants to get played on radio or on people's phones, etc. vuala. lol. I use it with conjunction with an AVS phase scope and so I can not only HEAR the audio, and what audio goes missing (every stereo song can't truly be 100% mono compatible ever millisecond of the song, but the overall helps). Ironically, I started out with Winamp a long time ago for listening to music, now after 8 years of using Sony products, I broke down and got Reaper... lmao. Small world. Rock on Winamp!
koqlb1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 00:24   #13
n0ukf

Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf
Mono output capability is also nice when you're feeding Winamp into a stereo amp feeding sound to speakers spread around a building, one speaker per room. For those songs that completely separate left from right as mentioned by HepCatChris, one room would be missing part of the song (left or right). I've noticed this on the radio feed at one of my previous employers. I've set up Winamp to play a large playlist at my current place of employment and decided I needed to look for a mono switch.
Not all stereo amps have a mono switch.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist