I am having buffering problems despite the fact that testmy.net shows plenty of upload capacity.
I have four broadcasts, two shoutcast and two live365 live feeds. I have a standard business DSL account, which offers up to 80kB/s upload capacity when all broadcasts are disabled. For a year, I have managed this by setting the 96kbps shoutcast broadcast to MaxUser:7 and the 24kbps shoutcast broadcast to MaxUser:5. This way, when the DSL provider is being stingy and I have a full 7 96kbps listeners and a full 5 24kbps listeners, my upload capacity will never drop below 20 kB/s. (I noticed in the past buffering trouble only when it dropped below 10 kB/s.)
Yesterday, with upload capacity still showing a robust 35 kB/s and less than a full set of listeners, I started getting buffering trouble on the 96kbps shoutcast broadcast as well as on the 64kbps live365 live feed. Eventually, I got a "not streaming fast enough" error message and live365 disconnected everything.
So, I had to cut back both shoutcast streams to MaxUser:2, but I still get a few sound cut-outs here and there. What I don't understand is how, beginning yesterday, I started getting buffering problems, even when plenty of upload capacity remained in testmy.net.