Old 8th April 2006, 08:44   #1
chconnor

WinAmp and Spyware issues

Hi there -

my basic question is whether WinAmp uses NSIS to install itself?

Many anti-adware/spyware/etc sites list

...\Temp\~nsu.tmp\Au_. exe

as indicative of a spyware program, but I see it also in the source code at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...ain.c?rev=1.74

...which leads me to believe that either 1) the anti-spyware sites are mistaken, 2) the spyware uses AU_.EXE via NSIS as well by chance, or 3) the spyware is spoofing under the alias of au_.exe...

Anyone have any info on this? I have the file on my system (along with WinAmp) and things seem to be fine. Maybe there could be a little APB out to the adware community to let them know that at least sometimes AU_.EXE is OK, if in fact that's the case.

Thanks all,
-casey
chconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2006, 08:48   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Winamp uses NSIS (Nullsoft Install System)
Winamp contains no spyware.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2006, 09:21   #3
chconnor

Thanks for the info;

I'm not worried about WinAmp having spyware, just about spyware duplicating that filename or spyware companies mistakenly believing that it is spyware.

I take it that means that ~nsu.tmp\au_.exe is an OK file provided that no other spyware symptoms are showing...

Thanks, I'll stop worrying unless someone tells me to. :-)
-casey
Old 8th May 2006, 14:33   #4
JanW

Quote:
Originally posted by chconnor
I take it that means that ~nsu.tmp\au_.exe is an OK file provided that no other spyware symptoms are showing...

Thanks, I'll stop worrying unless someone tells me to. :-)
-casey [/B]
Bit late, perhaps... But, I can't find any file called au_.exe on my machine and I am using Winamp.

So, I would like to say: start worrying. Unless you already got rid of this nasty piece of software, of course.
JanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 18:46   #5
chconnor

Worrying...

Thanks, but I'm not so worried about it... :-) I scanned over the computer with two or three pieces of software and I think it's OK... some of them notice the file, but again, the installer has this piece of code:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...ain.c?rev=1.74

...so at the least it's using the filename; the question is only if the particular file is actually from the installer or some pathological software pretending to be so, and I suspect the former. It could also be mistaken accusation from the anti-spam/virus companies, too. Kinda wish Nullsoft would look into it and get a definitive answer. :-) I haven't had any problems though, whatever that's worth.

-c
Old 8th May 2006, 18:47   #6
chconnor

code...

...for that code, search for "exe" and you'll see the filename... -c
Old 9th May 2006, 21:13   #7
AKBessy

code

I checked my computer and did see "AU_.EXE-21D49DFC.pf" in the prefetch folder. A google search didn't bring up anything. Hmmm. Guess I better run av and anti-spyware scans because I have no idea what I just found in the prefetch folder.
AKBessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 15:19   #8
f1nn

Au_.exe file

I havebeen looking at this and believe the following is true ref this file.

When you lunch the uninstaller for your appy the nsu temp folder is created containing the AU_.exe file.
After the uninstaller is finished the file will remain until the machine is started again at which stage the folder remains and the AU_.exe file is deleted. This points to it being part of the nullsoft un_install process. If anyone can illuminate this topic further or give a better explaination that would be good. I dont think the file is a problem as it deletes itself when the machine restarts.
f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 15:23   #9
DrO

it is part of the uninstall process. for the uninstaller to be able to be correctly deleted, it is temporarily copied into the temp folder from where it is properly run and the uninstaller exe in the winamp folder can then be removed (since the OS won't allow you generally to remove an exe if it's running at the time - hence the reboot on windows next startup). a number of other installers follow the same process from what i understand.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support