Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 15th December 2006, 22:09   #1
DrO

gen_yar (Yar-matey!_Playlist_Copier) v1.12 released 23/10/2013

Just as a quick post to let people know there is an updated version of this old school plugin (since i know we still recommend it around here and people are still using it).

The reason for the update was to make the plugin compatible with winamp's multi-user support for saving of settings since a lot of plugins still aren't making use of the api to do this which is a simple code change in most cases.

download v1.12

Enjoy
-daz

Hopefully this will make it onto the main gen_yar page at some stage if contact can be made with the original author - current attempts to email have failed according to koopatrooper
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 22:12   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thank you so much, tried several times to mail the author, but all I got were sending failures.

This small plug-in is very useful and has a nostalgic bonus.

For more infos visit the website:

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/#gen_yar

Keep on your good work, DrO.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 19:28   #3
DrO

v1.09 20/02/2007

Just a quick update to improve the subclassing code of this one inorder to make it more compatible between newer and older versions of Winamp

download v1.09

-daz
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:53   #4
faden

Well, very nice and useful plugin!
Don't knwo how to live with my mp3-player w/o this...

Keep on your good work!

I hope to find regular updates and enhancements, but it does it's work already flawlessly.
faden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 13:30   #5
rholler

Re: v1.09 20/02/2007

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

download v1.09
I've downloaded v1.09 and extracted the DLL to my Winamp/Plug-Ins folder. And I can see it in the Plug-Ins list in the Winamp options and settings area. But I can't seem to make it actually work.

When I try to "configure" the plug-in, a box pops up and says ""Pick 'Copy playlist files' from the main Winamp/system menu". But I've been thur every menu in the Winamp interface and I guess I don't have a "Winamp/system" menu.

Can you offer any help on how to properly install and use this plug-in?

Thanks!

(I also agree with others who have expressed frustration that a function as simple as copying a file from the library to another location shouldn't be this difficult)
rholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 14:06   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 18:01   #7
nickkydufton

I know this is an old thread - but i really can't figure out how to work this.

Im using winamp version 5.531 in Vista. I have downloaded the file above but can't get the right file to unzip into my plug in folder - it constantly comes up with an error message that the path couldnt be created.

Could somebody please explain this to me in laymans terms because i really don't get it!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
nickkydufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 18:23   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Allright. I don't have the plugin but perhaps it's attempting to unarchive itself into the wrong folder - c:\Program Files\etc.,etc.

From what I understand, Vista has a tough time writing anything to that directory.

Perhaps try extracting the files here instead...

c:\users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins

[EDIT]

I just downloaded the plugin for testing on my WinXP Pro machine and it works fine.

First, close Winamp. Then when you unarchive, make certain that you PRESERVE the folder structure. It's best I think to use WinRAR for this and not WinZip, which is what I did.

Anyway, when done, there should be only one file within your Plugins folder ... gen_yar.dll

All other files should have been extracted to a sub-folder within your Plugins folder named source.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 18:33   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Addendum:

DUH!!!
It seems you do NOT need any of the source files.
All you need is gen_yar.dll
I just tested it and and it works fine.
Old 1st August 2008, 18:37   #10
nickkydufton

Right - thank you for your quick reply!

I am using winrar, so i've extracted Source and the .dll file to the appdata\roaming\winamp\plugins and also to programfiles\winamp\plugins

I've restarted winamp but i still can't see an option to copy all files in playlist. Oh this is so confusing. I have never had a problem with winamp ever!

Any other advice, can you see where i'm going wrong?
Old 1st August 2008, 18:46   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. These are the steps I took that worked for me in Win XP, and I think should also work for you (unless Vista is screwing up - yet again)...
  1. Close Winamp
  2. Extract gen_yar.dll into the Plugins folder (the "source" folder is not needed)
  3. Restart Winamp
  4. Load any playlist into the playlist editor
  5. Right-click anywhere on the top section of the main Winamp window
  6. You will see the same thing as is posted in Egg's screenshot above
  7. You will select "Copy playlist files"
  8. You will designate an output folder and all the actual media files that the playlist references will be copied there.
Old 1st August 2008, 19:03   #12
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by nickkydufton
Im using winamp version 5.531 in Vista.
My bad. I just now picked up on the above bit of info. 5.531 was very buggy. If you still have problems, upgrade to the latest and greatest Winamp version (currently 5.54), which of course is what I'm using.
Old 1st August 2008, 19:11   #13
nickkydufton

THANK YOU!

I got 5.54 and it worked. Thank you so so much, i'd spent the last few days trying to figure this out!

I really can't thank you enough! x
Old 1st August 2008, 19:14   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yer welcome

And remember - the latest and greatest Winamp version is always the best!

Happy Winamping!
Old 1st August 2008, 20:04   #15
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The source code isn't needed, it's just interesting for other devs.

The plug-in was open source, this is the reason, why DrO was able to update it. So he has integrated the source file with the changes he made.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 22:56   #16
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yeah Chris. When I opened the folder I saw the files were the source files. That's why I added an Addendum above with the accompanying DUH!!!
Old 17th January 2010, 21:35   #17
DrO

This is a bit of a larger update than the ones in the past which does the following:
  • Alt+C accelerator now works again (requires 5.53+ client to run on) and there's a Alt+R alternative when using a Bento/Sui based skin if Alt+C doesn't work
  • Now is localised (with included example .lng file)
  • Moved the plug-in over to being a unicode build which allows for better handling of unicode media
  • Now allows for m3u8 playlists to be created
  • The save file dialog now uses a newer style dialog (think it's the XP one in-place of the Win95 one before)
  • Altered the positioning of the main menu item so it works better with other plug-ins and is more in keeping with Winamp's ui (i hope)
download v1.10

Source code for all of the changes will follow in the next few days as i've got to finish a build tool so everything required to build/maintain this plug-in will be available for anyone else to take over development of it.

-daz
Old 17th January 2010, 23:13   #18
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Holy Updating of Old School Plugins Batman!
Thanks DrO. I thought this one would never again see the light of day. What's the special occasion? You have been on fire as of late!
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 06:42   #19
DrO

hehe, was only just under 3 years since the last update (which is still a lot better than the original version's updates of a few years more than that).

a week off work and the urge to do coding again helps

-daz
Old 18th January 2010, 14:23   #20
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

a week off work and the urge to do coding again helps
I want you to know that it is appreciated! Your work in this community is what makes the winamp experience what it is.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 16:29   #21
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
Source code for all of the changes will follow in the next few days as i've got to finish a build tool so everything required to build/maintain this plug-in will be available for anyone else to take over development of it.
i've now uploaded a newer build of the installer which includes all of the source files for building the plug-in including the new lng_generator build tool.

Juanus: thank you

-daz
Old 7th March 2010, 18:43   #22
Number99

Now this was just what I was looking for! Thank you!
Number99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:23   #23
DrO

This is mainly a maintenance release unlike the v1.10 release which has the following changes:
  • Fixed Alt+C (and alternative Alt+R) keyboard shortcuts not working correctly in all cases
  • Fixes bottom part of dialog via Alt+C (or Alt+R) command to use the MS Shell Dlg style (to better match rest of the Winamp UI)
download v1.11

-daz

____
Attached Files
File Type: exe Yar-matey!_Playlist_Copier_v1_11.exe (83.8 KB, 925 views)
Old 6th June 2010, 11:31   #24
myminpins

I have Windows 7 full version and have been trying to get my Yar Matey playlist copier working for days now. It will not work. Everything is where it is supposed to be (the dll files) but it just says error copying file.

Any ideas?
myminpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 17:35   #25
DrO

would need an example of the locations you're trying to move from/to as it sounds like there's a permissions issue. also include a copy of what is shown from the error message please.

-daz
Old 6th June 2010, 19:02   #26
myminpins

There are no permission issues. I am a true admin in this computer (and, yes, I know how to do that).

I put the dll in these locations:

appdata\roaming\winamp\plugins
programfiles\winamp\plugins
programfiles\winamp

So I went to do it again and, of course, it worked. Sigh.

I had it working before and then it quits again. I don't know what I might be doing wrong.

All it says is error copying (the file) skipping and goes through the entire list.

Winamp professional version 5.572

So it's working again now though I've changed nothing, I haven't restarted my computer, and just randomly now it works. Very, very frustrating.

If/when it happens again consistently, I will post again but I guess it's working for now so what can I say? Argh!!! lol
Old 6th June 2010, 19:42   #27
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by myminpins View Post
I put the dll in these locations:

appdata\roaming\winamp\plugins
programfiles\winamp\plugins
programfiles\winamp
well it only needs to be in programfiles\winamp\plugins as that's the only place Winamp will look for general purpose plug-ins. does sound like a strange one and hopefully it's just one of those one off experiences *fingers crossed*

-daz
Old 6th June 2010, 19:58   #28
myminpins

Thanks. I hope so, too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 25th July 2010, 15:23   #29
TerraEpon

I just have to say, this playlist tool is perfect for my needs since Winamp doesn't want to recognize my iAudio 7 any more. This is better anyway as you can see the size it'll take up.
And it works much better on the iPod too, as it copies files 'as is' rather than adding tags and renaming if there's no tags (before I had to use the clutch of moving to the iAudio then moving from there to the iPod)
TerraEpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 00:53   #30
3L_DRU1D4

Thank you!

Thank you very much for this f***ing good tool. Just what a I needed!!
Do you want to marry me?? xD
3L_DRU1D4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:44   #31
chadben

Old thread, really great topic.

Not too computer savvy, no idiot but i cannot write codec.

I'm running Winamp 5.61, tried to use Yar, failed. the alt+c function tries to work but every time it goes to copy the files i get "error copying file." I think its because the file source is wrong. It searches for playlists, and comes up short.

quick fix anyone?
chadben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:31   #32
Coman
Punk
(Forum King)

holy batman, this is awesome! thanks!!

"Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?"
Coman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 20:19   #33
oldboy

DrO

I've installed 1.11, on Winamp Pro 5.623, and appears fine in that it exports my playlists,

BUT, I am not able to see anywhere the total file size of the playlist. It is implied in this and other threads on the topic that I should be seeing the total size.

I've looked in various drop-downs in the Menu bars, and at the bottom of the ML window, and I have tried various skins, but no luck.

Am I missing something obvious (quite likely), or have I misinterpreted some feature (also quite likely).

I've been exporting the playlist to a file, opening in a burning program, and checking the total size on the burn, then going back to Winamp to add/delete tunes as appropriate, and re-exporting. Time consuming but does work.

Works great other than that.

thanks in advance...
oldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 20:32   #34
DrO

the total size should be shown on the dialog prompt shown for choosing where and how to save the files to.

-daz
Old 24th January 2012, 20:54   #35
oldboy

I must have brain-fade.

In Media Library, I click on a playlist to highlight, then click on File/Export Playlist which immediately gives a destination window. Nowhere do I see a total file size.

In the Media Library window, the best I can achieve is to Select All tracks in the list, and the ML shows # of items and (assumed) total playing time.
Old 24th January 2012, 21:08   #36
DrO

this plug-in doesn't have anything to do with the option you're using in the media library - it only works on the contents of the main playlist editor.

-daz
Old 25th January 2012, 14:47   #37
oldboy

Thanks daz, I see it now. I was clicking on "File" in various windows - I need to right-click on menu bar to see the correct Copy function.

I usually just "dump" tracks into a playlist from the media library, as opposed to "edit" as such.

thanks again.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:16   #38
Number_1

SUPERAntiSpyware has found a trojan in Yar-matey!_Playlist_Copier_v1_11.exe

Trojan.Agent/Gen-KillFiles

is this a false alarm?
who is the developer of that software? is it from winamp or 3rd party?
Number_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 11:55   #39
DrO

that would be the person who was putting the updated builds and notes in this thread... me (and this is classified as a 3rd party plug-in).

where did you get the file from? was it http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/gen_yar...pier_v1_11.exe or somewhere else?

as i've done an online scan (via virustotal) of the file against the url above and it's only your A/V which is reporting an issue out of the 44 which it test against. so i would say it's a false-positive (especially as nothing has changed with the dll from what i can tell from ftp).

-daz
Old 1st November 2012, 12:09   #40
Number_1

Hello DrO
i haven´t read the whole tread :-)
it a long time ago since downloading the plugin - i don´t know where it comes from

unfortunately i deleted the scanner from my system today, so i can´t check twice.
Number_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion