Old 19th January 2007, 03:22   #1
rtcpenguin

Media Keys with Vista?

Is there any way to get my keyboard's media keys (play, pause, skip track etc) to work with Vista?

On XP I could simply use the older version of MS's Intellitype Pro drivers (v 2.2), but Vista claims there is a compatibility problem with these and Vista. That would make sense since the 2.2's have been around 5 years or so.
rtcpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 15:04   #2
rtcpenguin

no?
Old 21st January 2007, 02:44   #3
rtcpenguin

seems this isn't possible on vista. guess im going to use wmp 11. goodbye winamp
Old 21st January 2007, 05:32   #4
Chris000001

Microsoft released Intellitype Pro drivers that work with Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/wi...tellitype.mspx

I'm using them with XP and my media keys work fine (with Winamp's global hotkeys enabled.)
Chris000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 21:35   #5
zzhumphreyt

I had the same problem of the multimedia keys not working for me, I always got a HotKey Registration Failed error message. I managed to get them working in Winamp by uninstalling the Intellitype Pro 6.1 software, going into Winamp's preferences and reseting the global hotkeys there to default, and then reinstalling Intellitype. After all of that the keys work in Winamp. Of course, now other programs are messed up, Windows Media Player seems to receive the pause key message twice when I hit it so it effectively doesn't do anything; quickly pauses and unpauses. (I swear I almost wish I was back with XP, Vista is such a pain...)

BTW, using the Classic skin always works in terms of the multimedia keys, so you can try that if all else fails; sucks I know but it's just the way it is.
zzhumphreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 14:27   #6
zzhumphreyt

Whoops, spoke too soon. I rebooted and the old behavior resumed. I guess Winamp's modern skins just don't work too well with multimedia keys, on Vista.
zzhumphreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 19:05   #7
Delta6k

I'm betting that MS has come up with some off the wall code so it is the their media center program that works with the keys. I have done about everything I can think of and I can't get them to work either, at least not in winamp, but you can sure bet that they work perfectly with media center... hope we get a patch out of winamp soon.. HINT HINT
Delta6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:23   #8
jojoiou2

Hi.
Im having the same problem. was happily using Intellitype 2.2 on XP till now. Now the multimedia keys only work when winamp has focus. the play/pause button brings winamp to front and needs to be pressed again before it does anything with the track.

Im using Internet Keyboard Pro (discontinued since Intellitype ~4 or so) all buttons work though, even on IT6.02, except for the ones controling winamp.
What keyboards are you guys that have problems using? (and no, i dont intend on buying a more expensive model)
jojoiou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 17:48   #9
aka_mustang
Banned

Solution That Worked For Me:

1. Task Manager -> itype.exe -> End Process
2. Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set program access and computer defaults -> Custom -> Choose a default media player -> Winamp
(Note: Others can still have "Enable access to this program" ticked)
3. Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Key Settings -> Restore Defaults
4. Winamp -> Preferences -> Global Hotkeys -> Tick Enabled
5. Task Manager -> New Task (Run...) -> itype.exe
aka_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 03:01   #10
aznsouja

@aka_mustang

again, solution is not permanent. resets back to previous setting on restart of vista. winamp needs to whip the multimedia keys back to shape!
aznsouja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 17:44   #11
rseiler

Let's hope this is addressed in v5.35. I even tried a "run as admininstrator" to no avail.
rseiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 00:21   #12
rseiler

Not addressed in v5.35.
Old 19th May 2007, 08:08   #13
Xerott

It would be really nice if this would get fixed.. It's annoying having those keys sitting there and not being used..
Xerott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 08:12   #14
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Not really a Winamp issue. If something has keys registered, Winamp cannot register them it's self. Uninstall the Intellitype stuff and just use Winamp's global hotkey options.

If the Intellitype software doesn't work with Winamp, that's Microsoft's problem and no version of Winamp can fix that.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 15:29   #15
rseiler

It's a Vista compatibility issue (another being the need to use "run as Administrator" on Winamp just to get Winamp's file associations to stick). It worked in XP, it should work in Vista, and I'm sure they'll get there eventually.
Old 17th June 2007, 12:21   #16
ZeroHopeX

Hello All,

I too was having the same problem as the rest of you. itype.exe is indeed the culprit. Until there is a fix released, there is a quick way to restore functionality. You don't need to uninstall intellitype. Just kill itype.exe in the processes (this does not remove your key associations in intellitype). Then go into winamp and select "restore defaults" under the hotkeys section.

To restart intellitype, simply click Start>Run>itype.exe. All will work fine. A reboot will reset everything and you'll have to do it again. But for those of us who don't reboot often, it's a quick workaround till someone (Winamp or a third party) comes out with a patch.

Remember that Vista is fairly new and like all new software, will take at least 1-2 years before mainstream programs fully work out the bugs.
ZeroHopeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 15:35   #17
rseiler

ZeroHopeX, though it still has the problem of Pause raising Winamp to the foreground, which a separate issue addressed a long time ago but which appears to be back again, at least in this scenario.
Old 1st July 2007, 13:30   #18
KJJoep

There is an easy way of automating the process that ZeroHopeX described. You can do this simply by creating a .bat file with your notepad. First disable your itype.exe from loading running "msconfig" and unchecking the box "Microsoft IntelliType Pro" from "Startup. Below is the content of my .bat file.

c:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp
start winamp.exe
ping -n 15 127.0.0.1
taskkill /im winamp.exe
cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro
start itype.exe

The paths are in the most common form with Vista installed on drive c: and the software installed to their default locations. Save the file as something like "multimedia.bat" and put a shortcut of it to your start menu's "Startup" folder so it will be loaded on startup.

NOTE: Running the ping command with the "-n" flag defines how many times the ping loop is excecuted. You might need to increase the number in "ping -n <number> 127.0.0.1" depending on the speed that your Vista loads so Winamp has time to start before the ping loop gets to it's end and itype.exe is started.
KJJoep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 02:48   #19
LucentPhoenix

Quote:
NOTE: Running the ping command with the "-n" flag defines how many times the ping loop is excecuted. You might need to increase the number in "ping -n <number> 127.0.0.1" depending on the speed that your Vista loads so Winamp has time to start before the ping loop gets to it's end and itype.exe is started.
Why wouldn't you just use the "SLEEP" command in your batch program?

In any case, if anybody is looking for an answer, I've found that using the "classic" skin makes the media keys work fine.

I'm not sure what that has to do with *anything*, but it works. I've been doing that for about 4 months now.

Also, that would seem to indicate that it's a Winamp problem, not a Microsoft one, IMO. I just wish it would work, on it's own, without bogus "tricks" to get it work, with modern skins.
LucentPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:12   #20
rseiler

Classic skin doesn't help for me. It still doesn't let me go into Preferences and restore defaults on the global hotkeys, thereby getting use of the keys in question back (pause, etc). I tried running Winamp as admin but that didn't help.
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:30   #21
rp71284

Winamp developers seem to just ignore this thread haha.

I wonder how long it will take to be a "known issue" since every keyboard that comes out now has media keys and they won't work with Vista.

I guess Winamp developers are still using their 1996 Windows 98 keyboards huh?
rp71284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:33   #22
rp71284

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Not really a Winamp issue. If something has keys registered, Winamp cannot register them it's self. Uninstall the Intellitype stuff and just use Winamp's global hotkey options.

If the Intellitype software doesn't work with Winamp, that's Microsoft's problem and no version of Winamp can fix that.
YES IT IS A WINAMP ISSUE.

How come Windows Media Player, Media Center, even Cyberlink PowerDVD has no issues with this, yet Winamp can't figure it out. Looks to me to be a Winamp issue buddy. So are you saying Winamp will never adjust? It's the developers responsibility to fix this.
rp71284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 03:21   #23
klankymen

I too hope this will be fixed soon....
luckily I keep my computer on for weeks at a time.... I'm just curious though, will the automatic standby also reset the fix procedure.... I shall see.
klankymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:16   #24
rseiler

In checking out the lengthy release notes for 5.36 Beta, I don't see any mention of this, though surely it's been fixed it's so obvious.
Old 28th August 2007, 23:18   #25
Dipso

Nope still there in the latest beta...

Definately a winamp problem, as the keys work flawless in all other media apps i've tried them in, like zoomplayer for instance.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 00:01   #26
tom.bottiglieri

Run Winamp in XP Compatibility mode.

(Right Click EXE > Compatibility Tab > Check "Run this program in compatibility mode.." box)
tom.bottiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 00:11   #27
rseiler

No effect
Old 11th September 2007, 15:23   #28
Dipso

The problem is with the way winamp registers and implements appcommands, as this is no issue with other media applications. (Mediaplayer, zoomplayer, mediacenter etc...)

My guess is that appcommands and such would be pretty well documented from microsoft, so its just an issue of nullsoft deciding its worth the effort of implementing correctly. Along with any other vista related issues.

Old 28th September 2007, 07:14   #29
bowlinearl

Just wanted to share an interesting piece of information...

I'm running Vista Business x64 and I've been having the same problems as everyone else getting the media keys on my Microsoft keyboard to play nice with Winamp. I've been checking this thread periodically to see if anyone came up with a solution.

Just now, I discovered and installed the DIMIN hotkeys plugin and it works! All my media keys are working perfectly. I don't know how a 2 year old plugin manages to work better than Winamp's bundled hotkey plugin, but it does.

Anyway, if anyone is interested grab the plugin here and give it a whirl.

http://dimin.m6.net/software/winamp/DiminHotkeys.html
bowlinearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 07:23   #30
rseiler

You might want to edit the post, since that appears to be an underlined phrase rather than a hotlink.
Old 28th September 2007, 23:05   #31
rseiler

So anyway, here it is:
h**p://www.dimin.net/software/winamp/DiminHotkeys.html

The only thing it did for me is allow the Mute toggle to work, which I suppose is something. I was really hoping for Pause, Stop, and Next.
Old 30th September 2007, 19:23   #32
Dipso

Dimin did not work for me, but a plugin called KeyControll by Paul Mah Worked perfectly.

I contacted the developer too, because it din't have any play/pause function (just play or pause seperately) and he sent me and he responded within minutes with an build he hasn't released yet that had this function. Now winamp is in my control again!

you can find the plugin in general purpose plugins on the winamp site.

Old 30th September 2007, 20:03   #33
rseiler

I guess I'll wait for the updated version of that plugin and hope that it isn't bannerware. Am I missing something, or does it actually put up a nagware box everytime you run Winamp? Incredible.

I can't believe we're having to jump these hoops for something that used to work and still should be. As bad, they're reportedly not even bothering to fix it in the next version.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:19   #34
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by rseiler
I can't believe we're having to jump these hoops for something that used to work and still should be. As bad, they're reportedly not even bothering to fix it in the next version.
and that was said where? if MS decide to cause issues due to drivers then you can't expect a fix straight away if it involves having to get the correct hardware to test it out with.

vista issues are being gradually worked through but there are greater priorities on other areas first which benefit a far larger proportion of the userbase and what the suits want done. if it wasn't for the fact i have no vista machine (and i don't see the point in upgrading my gpu so i can see the full experience - for the money the OS costs why would i want to run it in basic mode) then i'd have a try at looking into the issue but i believe things are already in place to be looked at by other members of the dev team sooner rather than later.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 00:49   #35
rseiler

DrO, up the thread someone posted that the beta didn't help, and while there has been at least one newer beta since then, no one has chimed in to say it fixed the problem, so for now I'm assuming that the fix is not in.

Thanks for posting though, since it shows that there's at least some interest in this. There are a couple other niggling problems with Winamp and Vista as well, such as Winamp's file associations not sticking unless you run it as Admin, but I'll assume those are being worked out elsewhere.
Old 1st October 2007, 21:05   #36
Dipso

Yea, no point in getting angry about this... this stuff happens all the time with all software.

They have limited resources and ofcourse put priority to the most critical issues first.

But good to know they are looking into it.

Old 1st October 2007, 21:15   #37
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by rseiler
I guess I'll wait for the updated version of that plugin and hope that it isn't bannerware. Am I missing something, or does it actually put up a nagware box everytime you run Winamp? Incredible.
Are you talking about KeyControl? cause i have no nagboxes or anything with that plugin...

Old 1st October 2007, 21:27   #38
rseiler

Yes, I am talking about that one. It sounds like he eliminated it in the new version that only you have.
Old 1st October 2007, 21:41   #39
Dipso

I'll shoot of a mail to him tomorrow, right now i have to get back to my studies.

Old 13th October 2007, 15:57   #40
extraven

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
Dimin did not work for me, but a plugin called KeyControll by Paul Mah Worked perfectly.

I contacted the developer too, because it din't have any play/pause function (just play or pause seperately) and he sent me and he responded within minutes with an build he hasn't released yet that had this function. Now winamp is in my control again!

you can find the plugin in general purpose plugins on the winamp site.
Just registed to say Thank You so much for pointing out this plugin (KeyControl), its now working for me with this (media keys too ) once again thx for that .
extraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support