Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Yathosho
r.i.p.

any last words on this avs forum?
Yathosho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 07:52   #2
Rocker

avs is not dead. just quiet.

people have other shit in their lives than creating art.

things like making money is an issue. I'm sure when peeps have time their will be more activity around here.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 13:03   #3
WildJack77

hey, I'm still working in a pack!
WildJack77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:49   #4
J.Melo

rocker is completely right. I haven't been on the forums for a while. too busy. But now its summer break so I've got nothing better to do. Mabey I'll even have enough time to finish my pack.
J.Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 19:44   #5
Yathosho
Forum King

ye-yeah, summertime.. everybody finishing packs. just missing the regular bitches.. pak-9, jheriko and where's our forum mod unconed?
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:32   #6
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I'm still active and even working on a new pack, minipack or whatever it'll turn out to be. It's titled 'the retro party'
..But it's quite hard to make something retro that's not just plain n00bish. (especially for me )

I don't have an internet connection at the moment, that 's mainly why I'm hardly ever here.. it´s been over a month since my last visit.

And for the quiteness thingey, Why hasn't anyone started a new WFC thread? I surely don't hope that it's just because I'm not here..

.. by the way, I like the new forums layout.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 04:50   #7
J.Melo

Yathosho may be right tho. Even this thread was dead after 5 replies, until I posted. The AVS forms may be dying, slowly. It's too quiet. Especially since most questions now are answered with one post, usually a link from Yathosho.
Old 6th July 2007, 08:37   #8
WildJack77

maybe j.melo is right.. there are not so many threads with more than 10 replies..
WildJack77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 12:31   #9
Grandchild

posting an "r.i.p." thread won't help it much anyway.
...and it's not about "awareness" either
Grandchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 13:35   #10
shreyas_potnis
Major Dude

yeah...very less activity here...but fear not, I've returned.

http://home.iitb.ac*****~shreyaspotnis
shreyas_potnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 16:11   #11
Yathosho
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by shreyas_potnis
yeah...very less activity here...but fear not, I've returned.
so.. more pointless APEs coming soon?
Old 11th July 2007, 19:38   #12
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

hehe..

welcome back.

Thanks to (I guess) the people next door and a WiFi card I'm back online too.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 11th July 2007, 23:42   #13
J.Melo

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior of the Light
Thanks to (I guess) the people next door and a WiFi card I'm back online too.
Hehe. Stolen internet signals pwn!!!11!
Old 19th July 2007, 16:40   #14
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
R.I.P. indeed

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:07   #15
Raz
Forum King

How can it be expected to flourish when the most encouragement anyone new who's interested gets is to be barked at to go read the pre-written guides on the specifics of meaningless complicated coding techniques.

That is not a community, that is tech support.

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 20:24   #16
PAK-9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
How can it be expected to flourish when the most encouragement anyone new who's interested gets is to be barked at to go read the pre-written guides on the specifics of meaningless complicated coding techniques.
The short answer is because they either want to do something that they could learn from a guide, or they want to do something that would require complicated coding techniques.

Long answer involves the fact that avs has got to the point where people using it are either old hands or total noobs... a bad state to be in. Resulting primarily from lack of updates and promotion, [insert 'avs is dying' thread here]

...innit
Old 8th August 2007, 03:48   #17
NemoOrange

Send a message via AIM to NemoOrange
Sayonara

Although I hate to admit it, AVS is dead in my book.

It's a shame, because there is still so much potential as an artform. But now I think back 5 years ago and it felt like the medium was building upon itself, growing exponentially.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing what I'm going through. I still have visions in my head I would love to create, but I know the work involved would be just so much, I don't even bother.

Plus, I'm tired with Winamp as a media player.

PAK-9, can we also declare Fridge dead as well?
NemoOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 13:15   #18
Grandchild

so why is it dead iyo? because the program [avs that is] is outdated, or sth else?
Grandchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 17:27   #19
Yathosho
Forum King

what's more outdated? avs or winamp? couldn't say. maybe dead is the wrong word.. irrelevant!
Old 8th August 2007, 20:54   #20
J.Melo

I'd say they are both the wrong words. Since the wfc6 kickoff, there have been a lot more people stopping by the AVS forums. AVS is not as popular as it was a while ago, but it certainly is not as dead as it was 5 weeks ago, when this thread started. ASD5A did prove that it is not dead...for now, anyway.
Old 8th August 2007, 22:14   #21
HuRriC4nE

You're always as old as you feel yourself.
You're also as dead as you feel yourself.
AVS is dead?
It's not on avs to change this, but on the people creating and watching it.
I just tried out some things on avs for 2,5 hours.
Far away from dead in my opinion.

my newest release (aug2007):
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/61408641/
HuRriC4nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 00:24   #22
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I get the feeling that most of the old squad are more interrested in progression than the presets themselves. We seem to want to do something as difficult as possible. Needless to say, then it's only logical that the presets get too difficult for our own good at some point.

Don't get me wrong, progression is a very good thing but I think that the progression came in place of the visuals at some point.

I think that AVS could be very much alive if we would just make packs for the sake of making packs rather than to make packs to show progression again.

I may have never been one of the better artists around but I know I'm still having as much fun as I had 7 years ago.

Last edited by Warrior of the Light; 9th August 2007 at 00:45.
Old 9th August 2007, 01:33   #23
Raz
Forum King

Quote:
I think that AVS could be very much alive if we would just make packs for the sake of making packs rather than to make packs to show progression again.
Agreed.

Although I can't help but think the stagnation lies in the very core of the software, there was a limited amount of expansion that could be had simply from how AVS was designed to run to begin with. Now it sort of gives the impression that any updates would just be purely superficial on something that is essentially obsolete, but what we lack is something to obsolete it with.

But, all that aside, it's still incredibly fun and addictive to play with.

Old 9th August 2007, 06:40   #24
J.Melo

Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
But, all that aside, it's still incredibly fun and addictive to play with.
Damn straight.

I don't really have the need to show progression in my presets, but I always like to learn new things, and I have higher standards set for my self for what's a preset and what's a bunch of random lines. I end up deleting my presets that I find boring; either that, or I set it asside for a month, then fix it up later.

I would prolly have a pack by now if I didn't do that, but what's the point if it half of it doesn't look good?

I guess you could compare the AVS community population to the baby boom. When AVS was newer and was being updated, a bunch of new people came in, did a whack of presets, and left, leaving a few others behind. Maybe a whole new version of Winamp is in order. People will check out the new version and actually start using winamp, and they might just happen to discover AVS. Hey, it happened to me.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:09   #25
Yathosho
Forum King

Quote:
I get the feeling that most of the old squad are more interrested in progression than the presets themselves. We seem to want to do something as difficult as possible.
well put, but not even that spirit seems to be around anymore. once people get into it they end up doing the same cubes that bored me to death in 2002 already. that applies especially to the people that are more into coding than into the looks. there's still some new stuff out there, but it's not as competitive (in a good way) as back then.

also nobody denied there's still a lot of avs in production. it's just not relevant more. the 20 people that still do avs are the same people that download it

hence irrelevant!
Old 9th August 2007, 22:21   #26
PAK-9
Major Dude

I agree basically with yath

Often when people say avs is dead a few people come out and say "well I still use and enjoy avs therefore it is not dead". While you may still enjoy avs (and there is ofc nothing wrong with that) the main community as it used to be no longer exists, that is what people are referring to.

...innit
Old 9th August 2007, 23:10   #27
HuRriC4nE

Quote:
Originally posted by Yathosho
the 20 people that still do avs are the same people that download it
Hm that may be right.

But I think the main problem is the player : Winamp.

Winamp is not that good.
I like players that have a good media library --> I have the Windows Media Player 11.

AVS as a standalone application that could run with any media player would be great.

Old 9th August 2007, 23:34   #28
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by HuRriC4nE
But I think the main problem is the player : Winamp....AVS as a standalone application that could run with any media player would be great.
nothing is stopping you from making a standalone AVS as the source is available for it. as for the first part, different people have different needs and for some WMP is a better suited product (if all of our needs were the same then we'd all be using the same software whatever that would be called, heh)

as for the state of the community, the same applies to a lot of different areas of winamp, not only avs presets but then that's just how things go especially considering that we're 10 years down the line from the player appearing and then the related side-projects, it's a surprise in all honesty that anything is still as it even is now. at the end of the day, everything has it's time, maybe AVS is in that stage or this could just be the lull before the storm, who can really say.

it's ofcourse going to be harder to maintain an impetous with things especially those from the early days if they're
been there, done that and got the t-shirt and would explain some of the responses noobs get (though a lot of the time it's deserving since they've not tried to make the effort to find things out, etc in the first place) but then that's how things go with a lot of other similar situations.

Quote:
the 20 people that still do avs are the same people that download it
you've forgotten about those of us who download them despite having the preset making skills of a dead badger

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 00:51   #29
fsk

its been a year and a bit since last made anything in AVS so i guess i can say its dead for me. but then again, about a week ago i laied on my bed and watched random presets projected on the ceiling of my room. damn, that brought back some nice memories. if only i wouldnt have gotten so drunk so many times when vjing id prolly sill be doing it but as it was i got banned from the last club that let me work about a year and a half ago and well...

what really bums me out is the fact the Fridge newer really went anywhere. i mean i never found any good replacements for AVS and AVS is just so cool for making procedural visuals (tons of noob presets prove it imho). but it is just to cumbrsome in some aspects, if cubes were easyer to make a lot les of them would see the light of day. if it had some way of importing 3d objects, an easy way to control the camera and object transformations,... you would see a lot more than just cubes. as it is its hard to expect good stuff unles you put years of work in it. the programers make complex and a bit less beautiful stuff and designer people make simple and better looking things. and both get better with time (excuse me if i went a bit off topic, im drunk again). anyway, gimme an AVS with gpu, video and midi support (Fridge) and ill stop drinking and get to work:P.

p.s. even if its really dead its still the only thing worthy of caps in this post.

I hate signatures!!
*bangs his head on the keyboard in hope of getting an idea*
Ufihreevf43n98pevfr
fsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 00:53   #30
fsk

oh shit, i just realised we are talking about the forums.

my bad

I hate signatures!!
*bangs his head on the keyboard in hope of getting an idea*
Ufihreevf43n98pevfr
fsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 04:28   #31
Raz
Forum King

Same thing really, this is the epicentre of it all. Maybe deviantart was but there's precisely dick going on over there in the way of community now.

There's still presets being made and fun to be had, but there's the undeniable feeling that it's on its last legs. We need a better, more efficient, (possibly standalone) successor with similar or ideally more versatility. But unfortunately I am not the man for the job or I'd be all over it.

Old 31st August 2007, 03:25   #32
Princess_Mellow

If only it was easier...
Princess_Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 03:25   #33
Princess_Mellow

If only it was easier...
Old 31st August 2007, 03:26   #34
Princess_Mellow

If only it was easier...
Old 31st August 2007, 12:25   #35
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

to post on a forum without repeating yourself?

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 10:47   #36
Princess_Mellow

Woops. Internet trouble. Now where were we? That's right, the forums are dead except for about 5 or 6 people keeping it going.
Old 4th September 2007, 12:45   #37
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

well, i think its just that with AVS, most people can create _something_ themselves. Anything else there are many historic packs out there to download. And the barrier for entry in writing good presets is too high for most.

How you could change avs to fix those issues, I do not know.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 23:37   #38
Princess_Mellow

I think there could be another avs plugin that is more simple and is less dependent on the avser and more on the program. For example there should be a pan option in trans even though you can do it in a convo filter or in dynamic shift.
Old 5th September 2007, 10:05   #39
HuRriC4nE

I think the main problem of avs is that it depends on winamp. Avs as a player-independend plugin would be great.
If it was programmed so that it ran with any mediaplayer more people would use it. Now only winamp-users can use avs.
Winamp has been one of the (maybe the) most used mediaplayer - but now there are much more other player.
foobar2000 for example. I for music only prefer the windows media player 11.

another thing:
is it possible to make an APE that can get the spectroscop of the music more accurate. I heard that data is given in 500 or so values. That's not very much.
With a more detailed scale it was (at least theoreticly) possible to programm a very precise music-analyser. One that find one loud tone and look for tones that have the same frequency 2,4,8,16... times higher. (you could have a value that gives you the "brilliance" of a tone (a razor-sharp tone could then have another effect than a very soft one).

Old 5th September 2007, 11:01   #40
Princess_Mellow

Thats right. (except about WMP11). But... Winamp might go out of business (not likely but possible). People will just get it for the avs plugin. Cheapass's. About the APE... fiddle with the coding or get someone else to do it.

AHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm confused!!!

Last edited by Princess_Mellow; 5th September 2007 at 11:31.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS