Old 29th January 2008, 23:21   #1
musicmafia

Managing Two Seperate Music Libraries - Can It Be Done?

hey everybody..im new to winamp...so far lovin it a lot better than what ive been using (wmp11)...heres what im trying to figure out...

i maintain two seperate libraries of music files. one is an archive of lossless flac files stored on a large ext drive and the other is for lossy versions to sync to my portable device (a creative zen vision w60). i keep the lossy files on my computer's hd. i assume other folks might have similar setups but i cant figure out how to manage the seperate libraries in one player. (this is not possible in windows media player).

if i direct winamp to monitor both locations (lossless on ext drive and lossy on hd) wont it just add all the files to one single library? once it does that, i will have multiple duplicate files (lossless and lossy) and all will attempt to sync to my portable device causing havoc.

can winamp manage 2 libraries and if so how? if not, does anyone know a player that will? for now im having to open and use 2 different players (winamp and wmp) at the same time which is a pain in the arse. any help? thanks!
musicmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 22:28   #2
musicmafia

hmmm...i assume lots of users keep one set of lossless files and a seperate set of lossy files for portable players. how are other users managing this....any help??
musicmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 20:59   #3
gamingexpert13

i wonder if you could just have two installs of winamp, in seperate folders, one for each library.
gamingexpert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 22:07   #4
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
That would be the way to do it as Winamp cannot easily manage seperate libraries. You could use a trick on paths.ini but this would require restarting Winamp to switch libraries. Or you could have them all in the same library but just make seperate views for the two halves.

I have seperate copies of my library on a small partition on one of my hard disks that I manually mounted as a portable. When I want to put the files onto my actual portable, I manually copy them over.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 15:59   #5
Vi3tmix

Send a message via AIM to Vi3tmix
I apologize for the "necro-post" (reviving an ancient thread), but I have the same desire, although a little less sophisticated.

I almost exclusively use my laptop, but my entire music collection is on my desktop. Most of the time, I have no problem with the set-up: while I do primarily use my laptop, the desktop's collection is easily streamed over the wireless network, and the winamp library stays up to date for the most part on both ends.

My concern comes in the handful of albums I decide to actually keep on my laptop, so that I may have something to listen to away from home. It's becoming a hassle separating duplicates in the library list, those in the laptop from those that originated on the desktop.

Constantly selecting "remove missing files from library" and re-updating every time I connect and disconnect from the network is definitely not an acceptable option, seeing as it's far from convenient.

Have there been updates, methods, or plug-ins developed in the last month that allow the management of two completely independent libraries (one master library that basically pulls all the songs off the desktop in the network, and one secondary library that contains local laptop files only)?

Is installing two instances of winamp really the only way of pulling such a feat? Would such an attempt ever cause problems in the long run? Anything else I should know?
Vi3tmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 18:21   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You can achieve this by creating a new shortcut with a command line switch to make a 2nd instance of Winamp open which uses a different folder for its database & settings.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....63#post1953663

Note that you can also just use one instance, and edit the Audio view by adding e.g.
AND filename begins "X:\Music\Whatever"

And then create a new view for the other folder, using the same query method...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support