Like a number of other posters here, 5.53 (Pro) will not run for me on Vista under any circumstances.
The Event Viewer reported the following details:
Faulting application winamp.exe,
version 126.96.36.1994, time stamp 0x47eb406a, faulting module gen_ml.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x47eb3fc3,
exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001a380, process id 0x1a54, application start time 0x01c892493bf22334.
Here are some additional details in case anyone's interested:
1. I am running Vista Ultimate - *NOT* SP1
2. My first attempt at installing 5.53 was as a simple update, i.e. without uninstalling 5.52.
3. After this failed, I did a system restore, then uninstalled 5.52 (including manual removal of all related folders in the Users folder, as well as leftover bits in Program Files); followed by a reboot and clean install of 5.53. This "scorched earth" approach made no difference.
4. Disabling Aero made no difference.
5. Running 5.53 in XP compatibility mode also made no difference.
6. The only way I can make it run is by renaming or deleting gen_ml.dll, which of course disable the media library functionality.
7. Sometimes, the crash causes an error to appear for a very short period which says something about C++ - but it disappears too quickly for me to capture any detail.
Judging by other posts, this version clearly has a significant flaw - I am reverting to 5.52 until I see 5.54 come out with an announcement that this particular 'feature' has been fixed.
Good luck to us all