Old 24th June 2008, 17:59   #1
ssechaud

Nullsoft Playlist Generator v1.1 (ml_plg.dll)

I have been reading up about this feature and see that it seems to have trouble when I add new music to my library and starts the playlist generator database it fails. There's seems to a few people having trouble with this. The solution to either delete the cddbplm.pdb,.idx,.gcf manually or reset the database throught the plugin config window within in winamp solves the problem. This allows you to rescan your library again to get the playlist generator working again.

I have a large mp3 collection (57,357 tracks over 345GB) stored on a network drive. These scans can take a log time, so I was hoping if we could discuss what is causing ml_plg.dll to fall over when the library database is updated.

Any information or discussion on this would be greatly appreciated.
ssechaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 18:06   #2
ssechaud

Anybody?
ssechaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 17:02   #3
rrozema

The same problem still exists. As soon as I click 'Reset database' winamp is shut down and windows displays an 'appcrash' dialog. Winamp version 5.621 on Windows 7 64 bit.

To be able to start rescanning the database I had to delete not only the 3 files mentioned in other threads:
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\elists.db
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.pdb
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.idx
But also the following 2 files:
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.chk
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenote\cddbplm.gcf

Next to these files I also noticed 2 files that seemed to have incorrect file names and seemed related to gracenote too. So I also deleted these both files:
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenotecddbplm.pdb
%appdata%\Roaming\WinAmp\Plugins\Gracenotecddbplm.idx

Still rescanning 46k files. Now at stage 3: reading meta data

Last edited by rrozema; 26th February 2012 at 19:29.
rrozema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 20:51   #4
rrozema

And again, several hours later, winamp crashed while scanning my music library. It was somewhat over 2000 files into stage 4/4 and then the crash occured. Anyone who knows why this happens or better yet, knows what to do so it won't crash any more? I really liked the feature of generating a play list from a single seed song. It has been for so long now that it doesn't work for me, others must have had the same problem too?

Probleemhandtekening:
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH
Naam van de toepassing: winamp.exe
Versie van toepassing: 5.6.2.3173
Tijdstempel van toepassing: 4e1b6f92
Naam van foutmodule: MSVCR90.dll
Versie van foutmodule: 9.0.30729.6161
Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 4dace5b9
Uitzonderingscode: c0000005
Uitzonderingsmarge: 0002466e
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Landinstelling-id: 1043
Aanvullende informatie 1: 0a9e
Aanvullende informatie 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Aanvullende informatie 3: 0a9e
Aanvullende informatie 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Old 27th February 2012, 03:55   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi rrozema,

Winamp may be using up too much of the available RAM on your system during the scan. Then crashing and corrupting the database files. Delete the Gracenote database files and rescan, but monitor your total system RAM usage. If the total RAM usage goes over 70%, stop the scan and close Winamp. Then restart Winamp and restart the scan. It will pick up where it was stopped. Continue to monitor RAM usage, if it again exceeds 70% then repeat the stop and restart process. Due to the excessive memory usage (bug? or design?), scanning in stages seems to be the only way to complete the initial scan of a very large collection.

Yes, it takes a long time to complete the initial Gracenote scan of a large collection and it's a pain to have to 'babysit' the process. Another alternative is to move all but about 10,000 files from your monitored folders and run the scan. Then move about 10,000 files back to the monitored folders and rescan. Repeat adding and rescanning until the whole collection is scanned. Again the intent is to kept Winamp from using too much RAM during the scan of each group of files. This approach will take even longer, but you don't have to sit and watch it. If your files contain embedded album art, it may be better to use smaller groups (6 - 7 thousand).

(Off Topic - This excessive RAM usage can also occur when rebuilding the Winamp media library database for a very large collection.)

You may be better off with a 3rd party alternative for generating playlists, such as MusicIP Mixer. It's no longer supported, but it still works. Read thread linked below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....98#post2838798

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 04:21   #6
rrozema

Ok, thanks. I'll try babysitting winamp first. I have 64bit windows running but winamp is a 32bit app. It is not going to be able to address all of my 12GB of ram. Any suggestions at which number I should stop the scan? i.e. which figure should I be looking at and at what amount should I stop the scan?
Old 27th February 2012, 05:08   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi rrozema,

Use the task manager or resource monitor to monitor Winamp RAM usage and stop the scan if it exceeds 1 GB. Another user reported Winamp crashed when it reached 1.5 GB.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support