Old 9th July 2008, 16:55   #1
bakerstreet

No Sound in Winamp ONLY.

Really odd. Went to bed and everything was working fine. Got up, and no sound from winamp. I thought my speakers had come unplugged, etc., and no dice.

*mute isn't on
*rebooted
*reset the plugin to default settings.
*uninstalled, deleted folder, reinstalled.
*no drivers were uninstalled/updated
*Sound is fine in all other programs, mp3s, vids, games everything.
*Winamp is not muted in the system volume panel.

I'm confuzzled. It behaves exactly as if it were muted. Videos play in it, but no sound. I play MP3's and they are playing, you can see them playing, but no sound.

Any help would be really appreciated. I'd prefer to use Winamp
bakerstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 17:16   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Maybe you inadvertently changed your output plugin from DirectSound to the Disk Writer??

Remember... the output plugin is always the one highlighted/selected. If you just click on a different output plugin once, you've changed it.

In case that's what's happened...

Ctrl+P for Winamp preferences > Plug-ins > Output

Select "Nullsoft DirectSound" instead of "Nullsoft Disk Writer" as your output.

*Note: if the above is what has happened, then you have been CONVERTING files into whatever Output File Location you've got set in Disk Writer configuration and you would NOT hear sound (as you indicated). So conversions have probably been taking place and you will need to delete those files.

Here's a screenshot of the Disk Writer config...

OFF-TOPIC but important...

Winamp 5.54 is Officially Released

5.54 Final is not yet offered at the Winamp.com main site yet though, but it is an official release.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 23:54   #3
bakerstreet

No, that was on my list above, and one of the first things I checked. I've been using Winamp religiously since it was born, and i have never seen this happen before, nor can I find any reason for it TO be happening.

I was certain that reinstalling it, deleting all the directories, etc., would do the trick. Still, no dice. MP3's and video have sound in everything else. *shrugs*

Vista, AMD 9600 Quad Core 2.3, RealTek HD Audio.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:06   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. Very strange.

Perhaps try changing your device by choosing something other than what you already have in the dropdown list...

Ctrl+P for Winamp preferences > Plug-ins > Output > Nullsoft DirectSound Output > click the "Configure" button

In the resulting "DirectSound output settings" dialog box, click the "Device" tab. Use the dropdown menu to choose another device and press the "Refresh" button there. Click the "Apply" and then the "OK" buttons.

Do you hear sound now?
Old 10th July 2008, 00:11   #5
JonnyMac

Couple more tips here. Some of those have been covered so far, but it would be worth taking a look.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 01:11   #6
bakerstreet

I have three devices listed, I've tried all three. Checking the other list, Thank you.
Old 10th July 2008, 02:34   #7
bakerstreet

No luck with any of it. I think maybe Vista really has Winamp muted but has lost track of the fact, or something. It doesn't show as muted in the volume window, but that is exactly how it behaves.
Old 11th July 2008, 16:18   #8
bakerstreet

I am at a total loss. At this point I have no choice but to find another player, I suppose. I have no idea what is going on. I have no other sound problems with any program, video works in winamp, it is not muted in itself or in windows, the equalizer is not on.

*shrugs*
Old 11th July 2008, 16:26   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Ehhh. I lost track of this thread until I spotted your post above just now.

Frankly, I'm at a loss too at this point. Perhaps if you post your system specs as outlined here, along with all required/asked for logs, then one of our forums "gurus" might be able to discover the cause of your trouble.
Old 11th July 2008, 17:10   #10
HorsingRound

Same thing happened to me yesterday (WA must've failed overnight). So I rebooted; uninstalled/reinstalled WA; muted/unmuted--all to no avail. Rats!

I guess since we're not the only ones, there must be a failure with the new version??

I have been merrily listening for months to www.hay98.com -- the best online radio station ever! Alas, guess unless I/we can figure out what's going wrong, I may have to find another player too...
HorsingRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 13:29   #11
4bberline

I have the same problem since the 9th of juli. Tryed the things mentioned here in this post without succes.

Because things didn't worked out I tryed an older version of winamp. One that did work in the past. Guess what... still no sound when playing anything in winamp.

I'm not 101% sure but i think that the problem has something to do with some Windows Vista Update. Here is a list of the updates since the date that I have this problem:

(I have a dutch version of Win Vista Ultimate)

I hope that this can be solved (quickly). Winamp is the best player I ever had (for more then 4 years).
4bberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 13:58   #12
m0ritz

Re: No Sound in Winamp ONLY.

Quote:
Originally posted by bakerstreet
Really odd. Went to bed and everything was working fine. Got up, and no sound from winamp. I thought my speakers had come unplugged, etc., and no dice.

*mute isn't on
*rebooted
*reset the plugin to default settings.
*uninstalled, deleted folder, reinstalled.
*no drivers were uninstalled/updated
*Sound is fine in all other programs, mp3s, vids, games everything.
*Winamp is not muted in the system volume panel.

I'm confuzzled. It behaves exactly as if it were muted. Videos play in it, but no sound. I play MP3's and they are playing, you can see them playing, but no sound.

Any help would be really appreciated. I'd prefer to use Winamp
I have the very same problem but only with a relatively small number of files!? One could say I am lucky compared to bakerstreet but not really.

Some files are played (time and equalizer in the main window work) but there is no sound!? Other players like iTunes play these files without problems and most of my files work flawlessly in WA as well.

Any ideas what could cause this strange behaviour? Many thanks in advance.

Regs
m0
m0ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 10:03   #13
4bberline

When I said that the older version of winamp didn't work, I was to quick. I forgot to check one thing before posting my first message. This could help others who like to continue using and older version of winamp.

When using Win Vista you should check the 'volume mixer'.
You can find it when right clicking the speaker icon near the time at the bottom right of your screen.
Make sure the the separate volumebar for winamp is not muted!

Hope this was usefull!
4bberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 10:54   #14
m0ritz

Quote:
[i]
Hope this was usefull! [/B]
Unfortunately not, since most of my files are played without a problem.

The files not played are encoded with the very same codec (Nullsoft MPEG 4.5) as some other files, which can be played and most importantly heard.
What confuses me most is that the problem files can be played with other players e.g. iTunes.

Any ideas?

thx
m0
m0ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 18:10   #15
bakerstreet

nope, checked the mixer very early on. I kind of suspected that perhaps it is muted in vista but vista doesn't realize it or something.

No idea, but it is all mp3's and videos, regardless of format or codec or whatever.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:33   #16
HorsingRound

It was working...now it's not

Okay, so I had a day or two of Winamp not working (7/9-7/10), and then it mysteriously worked again until today, 7/18. Once again, there is no sound from the online radio only--nothing is muted, everything else works.

Rats! I thought maybe the new version of the Winamp player had it "bugs" shaken out, and things were hunky dory. Oh well. Perhaps, and unfortunately, it is time to search for another player if this one is so unreliable now.
HorsingRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 06:12   #17
Spoonatron

I've got the same problem too; no sound but no reason it shouldn't work. Checked everything mentioned above to no avail. It all happened overnight for no apparent reason.
My PC seems pretty similar to bakerstreet's in that I too have Vista, Realtek Audio and quad core processor. Maybe it's to do with one or more of them? [isn't Vista wonderful, eh ^^]

I've had no sound from winamp for months now, but, just like everyone else here, video works fine, the little "bars" bob up and down when music plays... and all the files work in other players [WMP, WinRip]

If anyone has any more advice, please help me
Spoonatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 08:16   #18
JonnyMac

This thread is not too far from being locked. Despite two requests for Winamp & system specs (one in the tips link & another by Nunzio ) no one has posted the required information.

@bakerstreet
If you still need help, please post the requested information here in your thread.

@everyone else
Please start a new thread with a description of the issue and post the required information. Any additional replies to this thread that is not made by bakerstreet will be ignored. This is bakerstreet's thread.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:08   #19
Spoonatron

Mysterious fix

My winamp appears to have repaired itself mysteriously. I have no real idea how this happened. All I can think of is switching to a different skin or playing songs straight from the file [i.e. not via the media library]. I hope that helps someone, though, really, it's a bit farfetched but worth a try if nothing else seems to be working.
Spoonatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 01:45   #20
BHC-t7

Solution found by me!!!

Hey bro the solution is found easy, I had this problem for 1 year... and everyday testing, formating PC, doing the unbeliveable at least I found the solution... All you have to do is to install winamp in other folder... Example make a folder called Winammp with double M... and that's all... have a nice day bro... after a lot of work I found the solution ...
BHC-t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 15:12   #21
ebonk

Send a message via ICQ to ebonk Send a message via Yahoo to ebonk
Re: Solution found by me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BHC-t7
Hey bro the solution is found easy, I had this problem for 1 year... and everyday testing, formating PC, doing the unbeliveable at least I found the solution... All you have to do is to install winamp in other folder... Example make a folder called Winammp with double M... and that's all... have a nice day bro... after a lot of work I found the solution ...
Hey, it worked for me too. But, is there any explanation?
ebonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:17   #22
Agraynel

@bakerstreet
Hi, same thing just happened to me this morning. All sounds work fine (other players, windows sounds) except winamp. Did you end up getting a final answer for the problem (other than re-installing in new folder?).

I recently installed version full 5.56, and i am not running any weird plugins, just the ones that came with the installation. I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, on a Sony Vaio laptop. I'm not sure I know how to obtain all of the other specs that are needed for full logs etc...
Agraynel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:58   #23
cathartes

I was having the same problem - no sound playing mp3s in WA (XP Pro, not vista), tried all of above with no success.

then I noticed someone said WA would play sound on videos so I opened a video. volume bar was all the way down - turned it up and video playing sound. closed video opened mp3 and perfect sound. no more problem.
cathartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 04:40   #24
SilverBird775

No sound in winamp only. All plugins even WASAPI are silent. They all are working but silent. Hardware OpenAL HAVE sound. Hardware MIDI HAVE sound. I do strongly believe that it is not a winamp problem because i clearly see the output plugin levels are correct and buffers flushing process is correct plus it only happen to creative(tm) audio. No problems with HDA audio codec, no problem with Juli@. It only happen to X-Fi and C:\Program Files (x86)\winamp\winamp.exe combo, if i rename winamp to anything but "winamp.exe" i have the sound again. What is going on? Anyone have a clue?

So summarise it: Vista x64, any winamp version, any plugin.
Juli@ - works
HDA Codec - works
X-Fi - does not work with specific "winamp.exe" file with "winamp" title. I do strongly suspect Creative banned winamp with a custom made WASAPI APO filter.
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 13:48   #25
Woeter

Re: Mysterious fix

Quote:
Originally posted by BHC-t7
Had the same problem and this fixed it. Strange but true...
Woeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 02:06   #26
satanic_dude

This worked for me.

It turned out to be a corrupt driver for the onboard SoundMAX HD Audio. I uninstalled it, restarted, reinstalled drivers and Winamp now plays files with sound output! Hope this helped you all.
satanic_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 02:13   #27
satanic_dude

I forgot to mention. Winamp was playing sounds properly until the shuffler played a MIDI file. After that, no sound while playing mp3s and videos but MIDIs played fine!

Phew! I'm relieved that this is resolved now
satanic_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:11   #28
Heathcliff74

Go to this regkey

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore\

Search for 'winamp' and delete all items that contain 'winamp'
Restart winamp and you're done.
Heathcliff74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 09:10   #29
Cursarion

Heathcliff74: thank you!

Deleting the registry entries fixed my problem!

It started out exactly like with bakerstreet. I triple-checked every possible setting, and the Winamp slider in the volume bar. It wasn't muted, but I suspected there was a slider it wasn't showing. I think I got that as a result from a partial freeze, like when explorer.exe dies, most icons in the tray disappear etc. I was tweaking sound of a program and I think I muted Winamp for just a second 'cause it was faster than stopping the playback, and then Vista screwed it up.

Seriously: MICROSOFT SUCKS. WINDOWS SUCKS.

The reports with Winamp reinstalled in a different path weren't wrong either, since those registry entries contain full install path of Winamp, so different registries affect different paths.
Cursarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 09:21   #30
Cursarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonk View Post
Hey, it worked for me too. But, is there any explanation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBird775 View Post
No sound in winamp only. All plugins even WASAPI are silent. They all are working but silent. Hardware OpenAL HAVE sound. Hardware MIDI HAVE sound. I do strongly believe that it is not a winamp problem because i clearly see the output plugin levels are correct and buffers flushing process is correct plus it only happen to creative(tm) audio. No problems with HDA audio codec, no problem with Juli@. It only happen to X-Fi and C:\Program Files (x86)\winamp\winamp.exe combo, if i rename winamp to anything but "winamp.exe" i have the sound again. What is going on? Anyone have a clue?

So summarise it: Vista x64, any winamp version, any plugin.
Juli@ - works
HDA Codec - works
X-Fi - does not work with specific "winamp.exe" file with "winamp" title. I do strongly suspect Creative banned winamp with a custom made WASAPI APO filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woeter View Post
Had the same problem and this fixed it. Strange but true...
Sorry for the double post. The explanation to this in two above posts. Windows Vista screwed it up. It had several registry keys for Winamp's sound volume. Winamp was really muted even though the volume bar didn't show it muted.

Also, admins could note this... I don't know if Microsoft changed the volume things a lot for Windows 7, but it's possible that bug exists still in Windows 7. Heck, they've kept some bugs in Windows for a decade, so why not this one...
Cursarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 08:30   #31
Lynka

Sudden loss of sound

This morning, just like Bakerstreet, I discovered that my Winamp suddenly has no sound. I have read Nunzio390's reply but I don't have a foggy notion what he is saying -- he admits his address is Mars. I cannot have changed from Direct Sound to Disk Writer because I have never opened the Preferences box (don't even know how to). The only clue I can offer is that a friend (who now admits to using pirate sites) sent me a music track by Outlook Express yesterday. Winamp seems to open the .cda file involved but won't play it. Trying to discover why not, I checked other stored .mp3 files from my own collection. They seem to play but there is absolutely no sound -- as if the MUTE was turned on (it isn't). I love my Winamp Pro and use it on a daily basis but this just stumps me. Can anyone help me please? Can your advice please be expressed as simply as possible. I do not speak Martian and am not a computer expert.
Lynka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 13:28   #32
joel_b

Disregard that, ISC.
joel_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 17:30   #33
Ramzay

Loss of sound

Searching and deleting registry entries did not fix my problem.

I have the same problem as other people: WinAmp plays, peaks are jumping, timer and bar moves, but NO SOUND. Well, not exactly... When I crank up my volume to the max, I do hear the sound very very faintly.

And here is another twist. This does not happen with all MP3 files. Only with the files for audio books and lectures. Those files have low (double-digit) bit rate. The files with triple-digit bit rate -- no problems.

Exactly the same problem happens with Windows Media Player and Window Media Center. But not with QuickTime or Roxio Sound Editor.

BTW, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. My sound card is VIA HD Audio on ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo motherboard.
Ramzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 17:13   #34
racha118

Guys I had the same problem I know this is a really old thread but I figure if anyone has the same problem and stumbles across this thread this could possibly be a solution. For windows 7 I went to the control panel > hardware and sound > adjust system volume. I had winamp on while doing this and it showed here that winamp was on mute from these settings, so I then turned it up to max and it worked fine after that. I have no idea how it got to mute it just did by itself out of nowhere apparently, if anyone knows how it happened I would appreciate if you would let me know. I found the solution here:
http://expwinproblems.blogspot.com/2...a-windows.html
There's something there for xp users too.
Hope this helps.
racha118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:19   #35
JenAmp

I registered solely to respond to this with the solution.

This happened to me a few minutes ago. It wasn't any setting within winamp and everything else was alright. So, I figured "what else could it be?"

The solution: Right click (Windows) Volume Control and then Open Sound Mixer. Scroll to the right... Winamp should be muted in there for some reason. Unmute it, and all should be good in the world.

That's what the problem was for me, and unmuting it there was the solution. Hopefully this will help anyone else that somehow acquires this problem.

Of note, I have no clue how this happened. I had my music paused and was in a game (windowed full screen, Skyrim), and then I tabbed out and hit play and there was no sound. I suppose I may have muted and unmuted my sound at some point a few times, so that may have had something to do with it. But I did it with my keyboard mute key, so that should have been system-wide.
JenAmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 16:25   #36
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=235098

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 19:03   #37
jpeyb

Easy Solution

Hi.
I found the same problem a couple of times.
The easiest way to resolve this is to delete WA.
After deleting, go to the location where you installed it the first time and delete the WA folder.
Make sure all WA files are deleted.
Now install the version you prefer but in a different location/file for example: File was - Winamp; now - Winamp New.

Done and dusted.
It should work just fine.
jpeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:00   #38
ksisaacs

No Sound in Winamp Only

As mentioned earlier, deleting the registry key is an option to try. It worked for me on my Windows Vista laptop. Good luck all!
ksisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 14:16   #39
AttractiveSnail

i see this thread has been bumped many times.
i would just like to thank Heathcliff74 for the registry fix
worked like a charm!
i just opened winamp this morning to find out something was broken overnight like most of the people in this thread. started deleting my 3rd party plugins, re-installed winamp and did most of the suggested regular stuff to try and fix it. been through 6 threads til i found this.

note: just remember to keep a backup of the reg folders u delete (right click>export) for at least 2 days if something else will go wrong i've deleted my backups as it works and the registry adds the entries automatically.

i have been using winamp on a daily basis for years so its a real relief to find out i wont need to switch to another player
thanks again!
AttractiveSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support