Old 19th May 2009, 22:51   #1
XxRxX

"What you hear" N' Microphone Problems!

Hello,

I just bought one new sound card (Sound Blaster X-Fi). Actually this sound card rocks. I think that it is one of the best cards..Anyway, listen what is my problem:

I am trying to stream on my radio station but I have a very serious problem. Well it seems that I have to modify something on my sound card or Winamp settings. Now listen what is the problem.

I am running my radio using Soundcard input and "What U Hear". Sound is streaming just fine, but I can't use the mic at the same time. My mic works when I go to mixer settings and change "What U Hear" to "Microphone", but then the music (or any sound playing on the soundcard at the moment) stops streaming and people just hear the sounds through my microphone.

So now, I am asking you If there is an option to fix this and be able to stream free!

Thanks in advance!
XxRxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 00:27   #2
fc*uk

It is because the X-Fi has a combined line-in/mic input. As far as I know, there is no way to accomplish what you are after without switching to some sort of an external mixer.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 00:31   #3
XxRxX

So what I can do now?
Old 20th May 2009, 02:44   #4
Tom

Make sure your Microphone is not muted in the playback mixer. In order for this to work correctly you will need to hear what you say into the microphone over the speakers.

Tom

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 10:09   #5
XxRxX

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Make sure your Microphone is not muted in the playback mixer. In order for this to work correctly you will need to hear what you say into the microphone over the speakers.

Tom
OK but when I hear what I am saying my listeners are hearing what I am saying too..I mean that if I have not choose the "What you hear" option the microphone doesn't work and If I choose the "Microphone" option then listeners can hear EVERYTHING that is happening from my microphone.
Old 21st May 2009, 01:12   #6
Tom

What you hear needs to be selected in the recording mixer, however the microphone can not be muted in the playback mixer. When you don't want to be heard through the mic the volume of the microphone in the playback mixer should be decreased. Post screen shots of your mixers so we can verify they're setup correctly.

Tom

Old 21st May 2009, 11:48   #7
XxRxX

Here is a screenshot of my recording panel, my playing panel and my Winamp opened.

Old 21st May 2009, 15:30   #8
XxRxX

Re-posted the picture.

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:17   #9
Tom

It looks like you have two microphone inputs. When you hit the push to talk button does the slider on Microphone FP move on the Playback Mixer? If not add the Microphone (first device in the Recording Mixer) to the Playback Mixer and see if that one moves. Once that is determined which one the DSP controls plug the microphone in that port and give it a try. Be sure to switch your Recording Mixer back to "What U Hear" first though.

Tom

Old 22nd May 2009, 12:00   #10
XxRxX

I the following picture you can see that I put "Push to talk" and then the two bars that I circled with red are moving.

I tried to select the "What you hear" option too but then when I talk to the microphone nothing happens.

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:32   #11
Tom

I think you have two microphone inputs. Possibly a front port (hence FP) and one in the back. Switch the port the microphone is plugged into. From your Recording Mixer it looks like you are using Microphone FP but the DSP is controlling the volume for Microphone.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Tom

Old 22nd May 2009, 12:35   #12
Jkey
Forum King

Yes i just tryed this on my sons pc he has the same card.
Tom is indeed correct remove the mic from the front of your pc and plug into rear port.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:41   #13
XxRxX

I can't find the correct port. I only see some ports for the speekers only and not for the microphone. I can't see a "pink" port one..
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:54   #14
Jkey
Forum King

which version of x-fi do you have ?
It maybe worth checking out which is the mic/line-in port via your cards product manual.

Old 23rd May 2009, 14:07   #15
XxRxX

This is my card

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY CHAMPION SERIES

If you want a screenshot you can find it here:

Old 23rd May 2009, 14:53   #16
Jkey
Forum King

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...&product=17813
scroll down shows ports.

its the blue port on this model.

Old 23rd May 2009, 15:16   #17
XxRxX

I just checked it and it works! But now I have a last problem, everytime I press "Push to talk" the "Wave" option RISE UP with the Microphone. I think it is wrong because it should fall down and not rise up.
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:42   #18
Tom

You're right it should go down.

One thing to check is that when you push "Push to Talk" the Wave slider will go the the value "Music Level" in the DSP and then slide down to the "BG Music Level". If "Music Level" is set higher than the current setting on Wave in the Playback Mixer then it will jump up before coming down. If this is the case adjust the level on "Music Level" to match the current setting on Wave.

Tom

Old 24th May 2009, 13:51   #19
XxRxX

Hm...I just test to increase and decrease those settings and I fixed that!! But can you tell me the correct options for those settings:

Music Level:
BG Music Level:
Mic Level:
Fade Time:

Please tell me the correct settings for those options.

Thanks
Old 24th May 2009, 16:54   #20
Tom

There is not a simple answer to that because the "What U Hear" level setting factors into it as well.

Basically you want to set the Music Level and Mic Level high enough that the listeners can easily hear it without having to turn up the volume but keep it low enough that you don't clip the audio. Watch the vu meters in the DSP to adjust the levels (you can compare them to those when you just use Winamp as the input). Realize that changing the audio slider for "What U Hear" will affect these readings as well. Changing "What U Hear" will not impact the audio through your speakers/headphones so this is useful in fine tuning the audio without causing massive changes to the playback mixer/speakers.

BG Music Level is just a preference of how low do you want the background music to go while the microphone is active. If you want just the microphone set this all the way to -inf and it will "Mute" the music.

Fade Time is simply how fast to transition from the Music Level to BG Music Level and will depend on your usage. If you want an instantaneous switch set it to 0 or higher if you want a gradual fade.

Tom

Old 25th May 2009, 02:30   #21
XxRxX

Thanks for everything! I fix em all! I can make my radio program now!
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support