Old 17th December 2009, 21:31   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Write ratings into files

unfortunately i no longer can as my subsequent post shows, however i am gratified to see the head cheese respond to my post!

Mr.Allison, please, PLEASE consider supporting reading and writing ratings/POPM to the tags in a file. i BEG you.

it would tremendously lesson the frustrations when things go wrong, as they have here, (b/c all the rating info in the winamp db is now lost).

what say you?

thank you.

[Edit > Mod] Thread was split, it isn't Winamp 5.57 related and it's worth to get an own thread.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 22:20   #2
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
unfortunately i no longer can as my subsequent post shows, however i am gratified to see the head cheese respond to my post!

Mr.Allison, please, PLEASE consider supporting reading and writing ratings/POPM to the tags in a file. i BEG you.

it would tremendously lesson the frustrations when things go wrong, as they have here, (b/c all the rating info in the winamp db is now lost).

what say you?

thank you.
Here you go, drop these into winamp plugins folder. it'll overwrite ml_local and in_mp3. Final implementation (for 5.58) will likely have some small changes, mainly an option to turn it on/off. Only supports MP3 right now, I'll finish up the other file formats after some sleep.

Note: For use with Winamp 5.57 only!

[EDIT1: Jan 2010 / EDIT2: Oct 2010]

Attachments were lost in forum upgrade, Mar 2010.
Just use latest versions of in_mp3.dll & ml_local.dll
as included with very latest version of Winamp (eg. 5.59 beta or newer).

----------
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 23:21   #3
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
Here you go, drop these into winamp plugins folder. it'll overwrite ml_local and in_mp3. Final implementation (for 5.58) will likely have some small changes, mainly an option to turn it on/off. Only supports MP3 right now, I'll finish up the other file formats after some sleep.

Wow. Amazing! This is not a feature that I use or care about. But I want to really send my appreciation to Benski, all the devs and the people who work to make winamp the quality program it is. To think that you can mention something and someone will just say here you go deserves something more than what I can post on these boards. Unfortunately, I have no money so I cant give you that either.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 00:03   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Dear Mr.Allison,

i am in awe. i want to thank you for your extraordinarily kind and prompt response, and for actually making my number one winamp wish come true!

i'm just floored, shock and awe!

i've always loved winamp, but its gone to a whole new level now.

if you don't mind, can you please shed some light on how POPM is implemented? for example, does it use the 0-255 scale? is it compatible with WMP? (i hate WMP, just curious on that)

i assume it reads from and writes to tags, but if someone already has ratings in the DB, but not their tags, what happens? do their db ratings get wiped out? or do they persist, and can they then apply them to the tags?

anyway, i can't wait to try this out! let me know if i can help in any way!

thx again!

--
Old 18th December 2009, 00:06   #5
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Dear Mr.Allison,

i am in awe. i want to thank you for your extraordinarily kind and prompt response, and for actually making my number one winamp wish come true!

i'm just floored, shock and awe!

i've always loved winamp, but its gone to a whole new level now.

if you don't mind, can you please shed some light on how POPM is implemented? for example, does it use the 0-255 scale? is it compatible with WMP? (i hate WMP, just curious on that)

i assume it reads from and writes to tags, but if someone already has ratings in the DB, but not their tags, what happens? do their db ratings get wiped out? or do they persist, and can they then apply them to the tags?

anyway, i can't wait to try this out! let me know if i can help in any way!

thx again!
I made it just use 1-5. I'm not sure how WMP writes its stuff, if it's 1-255 it should be easy to convert (just multiply by 51). Let me check out what it does and adjust accordingly. Winamp is using the e-mail address field of the POPM field, but that's another thing I could easily change for better compatibility.

The media library will attempt to read the rating out of the tags when importing music and also when right-clicking and selecting "read metadata on selected items.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:45   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
I made it just use 1-5. I'm not sure how WMP writes its stuff, if it's 1-255 it should be easy to convert (just multiply by 51). Let me check out what it does and adjust accordingly. Winamp is using the e-mail address field of the POPM field, but that's another thing I could easily change for better compatibility.
when you say it uses the email feature, how does it do that? does it use the email addy given when one installs winamp? would that support multiple windows OS login profiles?

here is some info that should help you implement the feature:

http://mp3tag.de/en/help/main_tags.html

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagMapping

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0 (search popm to see)

Quote:
4.18. Popularimeter
The purpose of this frame is to specify how good an audio file is. Many interesting applications could be found to this frame such as a playlist that features better audiofiles more often than others or it could be used to profile a person's taste and find other 'good' files by comparing people's profiles. The frame is very simple. It contains the email address to the user, one rating byte and a four byte play counter, intended to be increased with one for every time the file is played. The email is a terminated string. The rating is 1-255 where 1 is worst and 255 is best. 0 is unknown. If no personal counter is wanted it may be omitted. When the counter reaches all one's, one byte is inserted in front of the counter thus making the counter eight bits bigger in the same away as the play counter ("PCNT"). There may be more than one "POPM" frame in each tag, but only one with the same email address.

<Header for 'Popularimeter', ID: "POPM">
Email to user <text string> $00
Rating $xx
Counter $xx xx xx xx (xx ...)
and "erland" is a brilliant programmer with lots of exp with handling tags and ratings:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=59929

that thread is loaded with great info from erland, (you can skim the parts of me and phil going back n forth)

Quote:
The media library will attempt to read the rating out of the tags when importing music and also when right-clicking and selecting "read metadata on selected items.
ok, but what if a user already has ratings in the winamp db? can they apply them to a files tag, even if the file has no pre-existing POPM frame?

and what if you have a db rating set, but rescan a file with no rating or frame? will it null out whats pre-existing in the db?

--
Old 18th December 2009, 02:05   #7
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Thread got split from the 5.57 release thread since it's unrelated.

E-mail will get written as "user@winamp.com" (hardcoded string) just to differentiate. If an existing POPM field is present, it will update that one and leave the e-mail alone. I can probably use the contents e-mail field to differentiate different programs which use different scales, as most write an application name in there.

I'd be hesistant about writing any user-identifiable information into the tag, although maybe an MD5 hash of the windows user name could work?

If updating/rescanning a DB, the rating will only get picked up from the file if it's present. If it's not in the file's tag, the DB will be left alone.

As for writing the ratings to files when you have an existing database, perhaps some sort of bulk "write database information permanently to file" available from the right-click menu could work.
Old 18th December 2009, 08:56   #8
Psygnosis2097

Send a message via AIM to Psygnosis2097 Send a message via Yahoo to Psygnosis2097
Quote:
After installing these 2 dll files Winamp doesnt start up anymore and tells me that it needs nsutil.dll (and after clicking ok it crashes!)
Psygnosis2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:52   #9
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Psygnosis2097
After installing these 2 dll files Winamp doesnt start up anymore and tells me that it needs nsutil.dll (and after clicking ok it crashes!)
It needs to be installed over 5.57
Old 18th December 2009, 20:30   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
E-mail will get written as "user@winamp.com" (hardcoded string) just to differentiate. If an existing POPM field is present, it will update that one and leave the e-mail alone. I can probably use the contents e-mail field to differentiate different programs which use different scales, as most write an application name in there.
are you talking about multiple POPM frames in a given file? or are you talking about setting multiple values for different apps in one frame using email addys?

also, isn't the email addy part of POPM for distinguishing multiple users, not apps? (i'm not sure other apps respect multiple frames or using differing emails)

did you read the links i posted? the thread at slim devices with erland really is chock full of good technical info which might save you a lot of time looking for the answers.

i think one of the goals here should be to set a "marketplace de facto standard" and if you, WMP, and MM all were compatible with how you implemented POPM i think other apps would eventually fall in line. (like how TPE2 became "Album Artist")

Quote:
I'd be hesistant about writing any user-identifiable information into the tag, although maybe an MD5 hash of the windows user name could work?
i do know what a MD5 hash is, and that sounds smart, but i have to confess, i might sound like i know what i am talking about, but to some degree i really don't. i'm not knowledgable enough to answer the best way to handle this, but i do think it would be good if there was a way to let users have different ratings on the same file.

i thought thats what the email part of the POPM spec was for?

but there may not be a reasonable way to handle that, nor one any other app would respect. i also don't know to what degree windows profiles would matter, since the music files could be on USB drives and moved from computer to computer easily.

and finally, maybe its not even a worthwhile goal to try to distinguish ratings by user, as it may just lead to confusion about whats in the tag, esp if different apps handle the info differently.

Quote:
If updating/rescanning a DB, the rating will only get picked up from the file if it's present. If it's not in the file's tag, the DB will be left alone.
what if the frame is there, but is null, has no value?

Quote:
As for writing the ratings to files when you have an existing database, perhaps some sort of bulk "write database information permanently to file" available from the right-click menu could work.
perhaps this idea sounds too big, but i think you can use it to some degree:

i think winamp needs a "sync" feature. it basically would do what you described above, however it would be bi-directional.

so, you could:

1. "sync" your files tags to reflect whats in the DB
or
2. "sync" your DB to reflect whats in the files tags

i know other apps take this to the extreme, like MM will get all the tags and art, embedded or not, for all files and mirror it in the MM db. at that point you could strip/delete all the tags and art from the files and folders using mp3tag, and it wouldn't matter, b/c you could fix it all back up like it was originally by "sync'ing" the MM db back onto the files/folders and their tags.

that may be too grand for this particular purpose though. i would suggest some kind of way to "Write winamp DB info to your files tags" and the more specific "Write winamp DB ratings to your files tags"

(and btw, a function to rename files actual filenames to reflect whats in the tags/db would be cool too)

once again, i want to thank you, and look forward to trying out updated POPM.zip files as you post them!

thanks!

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 18th December 2009 at 20:46.
Old 20th December 2009, 10:31   #11
kr4zy

How do these 2 new files work? Are all the current ratings stored in the file (so even if I move it, Winamp will remember the rating)? Or does it only apply to new files that I give a certain rating?

I have over 50 000 rated files so this would be very useful to me

Thanks a lot for the hard work Benski and the whole Winamp dev. team!
kr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 10:51   #12
Psygnosis2097

Send a message via AIM to Psygnosis2097 Send a message via Yahoo to Psygnosis2097
Would be nice to know if only new ratings are stored to the mp3s tags. Or do the old ratings from the database get written to the Mp3s tags at Winamp startup. If so, is there a way to check it?

Greetings,
Marcel
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:12   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@Mr Sinatra

The POPM frame stuff (in_mp3 & ml_local) that Benski posted in your thread was included in 5.572

However, we didn't document it, because it's a work in progress.

We disabled it by default, and to enable it you need to manually set:

writeratings=1

in gen_ml.ini

So... the newer ml_local.dll fixes two 5.57-specific bugs related to ratings:

1. Rating is lost when updating mp3 file info

ie. rate a file in winamp, then view File Info (Alt+3) for that file,
click 'Update'
and the rating you just set is gone.

2. When writeratings=1 is set in gen_ml.ini, m4a files temporarily lose metadata & format info when you rate them.

ie. add an album of m4a files to the playlist,
rate the first track,
then try to play it - and notice how it skips to the next track.
If you view File Info for that 1st track, the metadata & format info are empty.
However, when you rate track 2, then track 1 becomes playable again,
and the metadata & format info return,
but then track 2 is affected by the bug instead.
The only way to fix it was to make a physical copy of the last track and rate that last.
Then all the album tracks were ok, and you could then close winamp and delete the copied file
(Windows wasn't letting you delete said file, because it was locked whilst Winamp was open).

The new ml_local fixes all that. [EDIT: find it here:]

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....90#post2625590

http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....postid=2625590

The first bug occurred regardless of the writeratings setting, but was caused by the implementation of that feature.

Oh, and it also fixes the tabbing order of Director & Producer in the Edit Selected Items (Ctrl+E) dialog.

Re: "what if the ML already has ratings? which takes precedence? what scale is being used to represent the ratings? 0-255?"

Well, if you've already rated an mp3 in Winamp before the popm feature was implemented/enabled,
then the rating will only be stored in the ML database.

If you rate it again in Winamp, then both the mldb entry and id3v2 popm field will be updated,
so Winamp will then read the new value.

If you rate it externally with a program/app that writes ratings to the popm frame (ID3FID_POPULARIMETER),
then as with all things when edited externally,
you will need to refresh the metadata in the library for Winamp to be able to see it.

ie. Media Library -> Local Media view -> song(s) -> right-click -> Read metadata on selected items

Yes, we're using the WMP-style 0-255 scale for ID3FID_POPULARIMETER
(0,1,64,128,194,255)

Though I think we also look at/for ID3FN_RATING scale...
which I think is 1-10, and then divided by 2....

At the moment, I think we read popm 0-255, but write 1-5,
which is why currently, eg. a 1-5 star rating in Winamp only shows as 1 star in Windows, heh
(I guess this will need changing).

By the way, I strongly recommend that you DO NOT use Windows Explorer / WMP in Windows 7 to edit any tags whatsoever, including star Ratings, because it destroys custom TXXX frames such as Album Artist and ReplayGain:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=76998

That's a pretty bad bug in Win7, and I'm quite amazed that it hasn't been patched yet.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....47#post2625747

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 2nd February 2010 at 04:40.
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:28   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

DJ Egg,

thanks for that reply! cleared up a lot of my confusion.

i understand that implementing ratings in tags is a work in progress, but i am curious as to how it is being planned to work?

i tried to outline and link to a lot of info and concerns above.

can you sketch out the plan? like compatibility with other apps, (like WMP, itunes, etc), and also how it will work when there are ratings in tags but not the ML, or vice versa?

finally, thx for the tip about not using windows explorer or WMP in win7... but does that tip apply ONLY to win7, or all windows versions?

--
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:54   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

The plan is to make it work, and be friendly with other apps.

We plan to do it the official way, eg.
write mp3 ratings to id3v2 popm frame,
write ogg/flac ratings to rating in vorbis comments,
etc etc.

I've no idea about iTunes.
Does iTunes also write ratings to tags?

I think I already explained "how it will work when there are ratings in tags but not the ML, or vice versa", didn't I?

Re: but does that tip apply ONLY to win7, or all windows versions?

I'm not sure about Vista.
But WinXP isn't affected by it.
I think it's just a WMP12 bug...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:14   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Hi

The plan is to make it work, and be friendly with other apps.

We plan to do it the official way, eg.
write mp3 ratings to id3v2 popm frame,
write ogg/flac ratings to rating in vorbis comments,
etc etc.
cool! this is awesome!

Quote:
I've no idea about iTunes.
Does iTunes also write ratings to tags?
actually, i THINK it only does ratings in a separate ml db xml file, but i'm not at all sure. but since you support import/export of itunes db info, its something you'll need to be on top of. (i don't use itunes, i hate it, but as i know you know, compatibility is important)

Quote:
I think I already explained "how it will work when there are ratings in tags but not the ML, or vice versa", didn't I?
i think so, we were cross-posting a bit. so whats in the tags will ALWAYS take precendence over whats in the ML?

what happens if you have ratings in your ML db, but NOT your tags, and you scan the files? do you lose all your ML db ratings?

[the frame could either be not there at all, or there with no value in it, not even a zero]

Quote:
Re: but does that tip apply ONLY to win7, or all windows versions?

I'm not sure about Vista.
But WinXP isn't affected by it.
I think it's just a WMP12 bug... [/B]
its an atrocious bug, thanks for the heads up!

--
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:22   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

one more Q in addition to the above:

where does the "ID3FN_RATING" frame come from? what standard? i can't find it via google.

--
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:11   #18
Psygnosis2097

Quote:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....47#post2625747
Aha.

And why did you add so many bugs?
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:46   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
At the moment, I think we read popm 0-255, but write 1-5,
which is why currently, eg. a 1-5 star rating in Winamp only shows as 1 star in Windows, heh
(I guess this will need changing).
i'm only seeing this now, i guess you added it later.

in addition to my questions earlier in the thread, i think its EXTREMELY important you guys pick numbers that are compatible with WMP.

i don't say exact, b/c i'm not sure that even all the versions of WMP use the exact same numbers to mean one star, two stars, etc...

and beyond that what other apps do.

so you may have some leeway and find that broadest compatibility will be in a number thats slightly unmatched from WMP, but in the right "range" to get the desired result.

the whole reason i haven't used this feature yet is that the last thing i heard until this convo was benski was using a 1-5 range and thats useless for compatibility.

but again, THANKS for implementing this EXCELLENT feature!

--
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:49   #20
uncrocks130

I'm trying out the new popm ratings feature (thank you!)

the first thing that kept it from working was that some of my music was read only, so it couldn't write to the file

if the file has never been rated before, then any winamp rating i give it results in a one star

if i rate the file in Windows Explorer (any rating), then rate it in Winamp, then the correct rating is set

also- when i rate a song, the music briefly stops playing and sometimes skips backward a couple seconds

thanks again
uncrocks130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:23   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@uncrocks130

Yes, that is all working as designed.

If a Windows style 0-255 rating already exists,
then we maintain it and write ratings in the same format.

If no rating exists in the tags, then we just write our own 1-5 style rating.

Because 1-5 comes under what WMP classes as a 1 star rating (1-64?),
then Windows will show all files rated by Winamp as 1 star.

This article hopefully explains it more clearly...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Preparin...gs_in_ID3_tags

I think we plan to change it for 5.58 so that we solely use the 0-255 system.

The brief skip which occurs when rating a file whilst it's playing
is the same thing that happens when you update the tags of a file whilst it's playing.

Basically, because the rating is written to the tags, the file needs to be briefly stopped for the file to be written to,
and then it attempts to resume playback from the last playing position...

Oh, and by the way, I hope you're not testing with the files (ml_local & in_mp3) from the zip attached in Benski's post above, because those are old.

You should be using in_mp3.dll from 5.572
and the latest ml_local.dll v2.91 from here.

Also, be warned that editing tags in Windows 7 (or WMP12) destroys all custom TXXX fields in the tags (such as AlbumArtist, ReplayGain, etc). So I strongly advise against it, and that you should stick to using Winamp...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=76998
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 07:05   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
If a Windows style 0-255 rating already exists,
then we maintain it and write ratings in the same format.

If no rating exists in the tags, then we just write our own 1-5 style rating.

Because 1-5 comes under what WMP classes as a 1 star rating (1-64?),
then Windows will show all files rated by Winamp as 1 star.

This article hopefully explains it more clearly...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Preparin...gs_in_ID3_tags

I think we plan to change it for 5.58 so that we solely use the 0-255 system.
Egg,

i think going to a solely 0-255 system is the ONLY reasonable course of action, so i hope thats what you guys end up doing.

since 5.58 could be months away, could you post the patch files necessary to do solely 0-255 when available? the current situation is useless to me. thx.

--
Old 8th March 2010, 14:41   #23
cdean

Problems saving the Rating

I have been trying to duplicate the functionality that you have described in this thread, but for some reason my mp3 files are not saving the rating information when I make a copy of a rated file. I am, of course, assuming that making a copy of a file will maintain the rating through the POPM field in the song file? Here's what I've done, please let me know if I'm just an idiot:

1. Installed a fresh copy of 5.572
2. Installed the newer ml_local.dll v2.91
3. Rated a song that was in my media library
4. Copied the song to another folder
5. Opened the copy in Winamp to check if the rating was saved

I can't wait to get this rating functionality working correctly, thank you so much for putting the capability into Winamp!
cdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 14:57   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

u have to edit the ini file, egg says how in this thread.

i would wait for 5.58 b/c how they have it now is not how it will be with 5.58

--
Old 8th March 2010, 15:01   #25
cdean

Ahh yes, I forgot that I had done that as well lol. I edited the gen_ml.ini and found that writeratings was already set to 1. I realize that its going to change in 5.58, but I would assume that there would be some mechanism in place to take the 1-5 star ratings already preset in the local Winamp database to the new range. I'm also assuming that when 5.58 comes out all of the data would automatically be written into the files if the rating writing functionality was turned on. Have you gotten any wind as to when 5.58 will be coming out?
cdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 15:41   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

i wouldn't make any assumptions and it'll be some months at least until 5.58

--
Old 10th May 2010, 16:01   #27
fiqdish

Damn, finally this feature is coming. My HDD with all my MP3s just crashed during the weekend while I was away for a few days. I have a backup of all my MP3s, but Winamp is set to automatically rescan the media library. Because it couldn't find the HDD with the files it erased everything in the media library. I am quite pissed at the moment :/
fiqdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:52   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, there is now a winamp backup app, albeit beta, but it prob would have saved you.

but yes, actually writing ratings to the tags is the only safe way to be sure that ratings are not lost when any app craps out. long overdue, but glad they are finally doing it.

--
Old 6th July 2010, 08:33   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

DJ Egg,

with 5.58, how much is this implemented?

the ver history says:

Improved: [ml_local/in_mp3] Write ratings to POPM frame in id3v2 tags (w.i.p.)

meaining work in progress.

this is kind of exasperating; am i still expected to edit ini files to get this feature? how does it work, and what do i need to do to make it work?

all i want is for winamp to adopt a WMP popm style, and give options for it (like "on" or "off") in prefs.

love the new ver, but need more info.

EDIT:

ok, found this:

Quote:
-Re: Improved: [ml_local/in_mp3] Write ratings to POPM frame in id3v2 tags:

_ This is still a work-in-progress and support is currently enabled via a hidden .ini option only.
_ With Winamp closed, open %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini in Notepad.
_ Add the following line: writeratings=1
_ Save gen_ml.ini

_ We are now using the standard WMP 0-256 scale for 1-5 ratings (read & write).
_ For mp3, ratings are written to the POPM id3v2 frame.

_ Support for other formats (wma, ogg, flac, mp4) to be implemented later.
would like to see the toggle in prefs, and would like to see FLAC and other vorbis types get the feature, but i'm glad to see that WMP and winamp are now helping to create a de facto POPM standard, one i hope other apps adopt as well.

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 6th July 2010 at 08:50. Reason: added more info
Old 9th July 2010, 20:12   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, wanted to add some more on this...

i had to find "app data" in win7. for me, it was in:

C:\Users\MrSinatra\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins

as you can see, it also was in "roaming." so i am assuming adding the line to the gen_ml file in that location will work. i have not tried this on XP yet. (a prefs toggle really is called for)

now, separate issue:

in prefs, click media library > appearance. you will see a button for "rating column appearance..." but i don't understand what most of those options do or are for.

i looked here, but didn't see docs on the prefs:

http://www.winamp.com/help/Main_Page#The_Media_Library

anyone know where to look?

--
Old 10th July 2010, 09:19   #31
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

That is the correct path under Vista/7, where the settings are saved.

These rating column options have really weird descriptions and the descriptions are unprofessional and make no sense.

The options, which allow changing the size and alignment of the the rating column are clear, but sadly you simply must try out, what the 'Show Empty' options do. It's hard to explain, and for sure, these weird descriptions like 'Hot' and 'Animation' are a bit crappy, heh

And no worries, I was asking internal, what the meaning of some options is, because it was impossible for me to translate it, if I simply don't check, what it means. The answer I got was the same I'm giving you.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 11:37   #32
Odeon

Hello there,

I need the option to write/read ratings directly from files badly as well,
thanks to all dev/members for their effort here.

Alas, I can't change the star-rating in Winamp (( I did gen_ml.ini editing, but nothing happens when i rate a file. At the same time, if I modify the rating via Windows file properties dialogue (I use Win7), the file is updated and the file modify time is also changed.

Any advice, please...
Odeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 12:23   #33
Sagehorn

I also want to write Ratings into Files. :>
But then you must be aware of files from other persons with their ratings (what already has been said if i remember well..)

But let me ask a technical question.. Does the ID3-Tag format supports this by itself? And if so: Can other Mp3-Software already do that?
Sagehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 16:16   #34
ryan_the_leach

Is this syncing at all with pmp_usb devices/android/ipod?

Especially interested in Ipod support as at the moment I rank a file using the keyboard shortcuts I've made and nothing changes to the copy of the file on my Ipod.

Even when the file in question is being played from the Ipod.

Last edited by ryan_the_leach; 31st October 2010 at 17:48. Reason: signature
ryan_the_leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 18:24   #35
ryan_the_leach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_the_leach View Post
Is this syncing at all with pmp_usb devices/android/ipod?

Especially interested in Ipod support as at the moment I rank a file using the keyboard shortcuts I've made and nothing changes to the copy of the file on my Ipod.

Even when the file in question is being played from the Ipod.
Will this modification, as it stands in winamp v5.581, update the rating on a usb/android/ipod device, either when syncing, or playing music from the device through winamp and changing the rating, through the "title artist album track/decoder Rating" box on the bento skin as opposed to right clicking the track listed on the device in the music library?

The reason I ask is when setting up a global keyboard shortcut key without this modification, it appears to use the same function as the 5 star rating box above, and WILL NOT update the file on my Ipod, even if the currently playing track is from my Ipod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
presumably you have an ipod or whatever and could just test this out for yourself! why not do that? tell us
Whilst upgrading my winamp to 5.581 from a version before this W.I.P solution was available, my ipod was locked into recovery mode and I have only just managed to restore it.

Quote:
was i not clear this thread was not for technical support? does the forum itself not make that clear?
I was not looking for technical support, just for clarification on how far this W.I.P solution has gotten.

Quote:
and what you wish or think should have happened. be detailed
I would wish that in a finished solution, that when playing from a "portable device" as opposed to external storage that when changing a rating with the option (to write ratings to files) turned on that the ratings would be syncable, and if music is being played from the device to be applied immediatly upon rating the content.

I would even dare to suggest, that if the device itself supported ratings, that even with the option turned off, when syncing or rating while playing from the device it would modify the tags only on the device, to support a uniform experiance from winamp to the devices interface.
ryan_the_leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 01:53   #36
skandranon

Save ratings to tags

I tried to search but it just would not work for some reason.

I have a long standing love / hate relationship with winamp. I have many times tried to find something I prefer. But I keep ending up back here.

My number one complaint, and it really is a deal breaker is that winamp WILL NOT save rating info to the file tags. For years and years now this has been my bigest problem with winamp.

I found this thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=315444

In there the dev speaks of an option that will fix this. I can not find this option anywhere in 5.581.

Has this been implemented? Does it work correctly?

I could not really tell from skimming the other thread.

How do I turn it on if it is implemented? I double checked, it does not work by default.

Thanks for your help!
skandranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 01:58   #37
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Why do you not read the complete thread, you are linking too?

Quote:
-Re: Improved: [ml_local/in_mp3] Write ratings to POPM frame in id3v2 tags:

- This is still a work-in-progress and support is currently enabled via a hidden .ini option only.
- With Winamp closed, open %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini in Notepad.
- Add the following line: writeratings=1
- Save gen_ml.ini

- We are now using the standard WMP 0-256 scale for 1-5 ratings (read & write).
- For mp3, ratings are written to the POPM id3v2 frame.

- Support for other formats (wma, ogg, flac, mp4) to be implemented later.
For now, the option is available via a hidden ini setting only, but an option in the preferences has been added to the internal beta builds already, so you can use the hidden ini setting for now until the next Winamp version was released. And before someone asks, it will be released when its done.
Old 15th November 2010, 02:26   #38
skandranon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Why do you not read the complete thread, you are linking too?

For now, the option is available via a hidden ini setting only, but an option in the preferences has been added to the internal beta builds already, so you can use the hidden ini setting for now until the next Winamp version was released. And before someone asks, it will be released when its done.
If I turn on this hidden setting, will it automatically save my current winamp ratings to the tags? If not how do I make it do so?

Next reinstall of windows will it read these tags and put the ratings back in or is something else needed to make it work? (Besides setting that option again, of course)
Old 15th November 2010, 02:34   #39
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandranon View Post
If I turn on this hidden setting, will it automatically save my current winamp ratings to the tags? If not how do I make it do so?
Yes, but currently only for MP3 files.

Quote:
Next reinstall of windows will it read these tags and put the ratings back in or is something else needed to make it work? (Besides setting that option again, of course)
The presets are written directly into the files, so they will appear after you've reinstalled Windows.

As for backing up /restoring all other settings, skins, playcounts, history, color themes etc, I highly recommend, that you take a look at my Winamp Backup Tool

And there was nothing which needed to be resolved, writing ratings to tags was a feature request, not a bug. The feature has been addressed in Winamp 5.58 and will be improved in the upcoming version.
Old 15th November 2010, 02:37   #40
skandranon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post

Yes, but currently only for MP3 files.

The presets are written directly into the files, so they will appear after you've reinstalled Windows.

As for backing up /restoring all other settings, skins, playcounts, history, color themes etc, I highly recommend, that you take a look at my Winamp Backup Tool
Great, thank you!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion