Old 22nd February 2010, 01:50   #1
OutOfASuitcase

Cache to improve network drive performance

Hi all. I have approximately 55k files on a mapped-to network drive. All my music plays fine - i.e. no buffering, skipping, etc. However, loading the views of my Media Library are terribly slow. For example, when I search "Radiohead" it takes a good 7 seconds to load the results. Likewise, if I switch from Video to Audio in the left nav, it takes 5 or so seconds to load the default view.

I found one older cache plug-in to help improve this performance for network drives. I could never get it to work with my version (currently 5.572 on Vista Home Pro).

Does anyone have any hints for improving performance of libraries that are stored on wireless mapped-to drives? I was thinking some sort of cache stored locally, but can't seem to figure out how to do it nor can I find a plug-in to do such a thing.

Thanks from Bangkok!
OutOfASuitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 05:54   #2
OutOfASuitcase

Are there not others having this problem with performance using a mapped-to drive? I'm really surprised. Can anyone tell me where the default DB is stored and why does it take so long to load simply because the music files are elsewhere?

It seems to me that the DB should load almost instantly, but that playing songs or performing other tasks that actually require interaction with the music files could be delayed with such a set up.

Any ideas?
Old 4th March 2010, 13:26   #3
OutOfASuitcase

Bump...

:-(
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support