Old 15th June 2010, 06:27   #1
pbelkner

FFSoX Player plug-in released

FFSoX Player is a Winamp plug-in based on the FFmpeg (http://www.ffmpeg.org/) and SoX (http://sox.sourceforge.net/) libraries. Using FFmepg almost all multimedia files, both audio and viseo, may be played, including but by far not restricted to H.264 and VP8. Audiophile sound processing, e.g. replay gain, is provided using high quality 32 bit SoX algorithms and dithering.

Home: http://in-ffsox.sourceforge.net/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/in-ffsox/files/
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 16:30   #2
pbelkner

Just released v0.2

Just released v0.2:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/in-ffsox/files/

What's new?
  • Now with installer.
  • Now with (minimal) FFmpeg for playing OGG (both Vorbis audio and Theora video) and WebM (Vorbis audio and VP8 video, the latest one from Google)
Would be glad to get some feedback from you.

Peter
Old 27th June 2010, 16:38   #3
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Had a quick look and it's looking good, but I may ask for some thing, though.

1. Is there any reason, why it doesn't use Winamp's global playback settings for ReplayGain on 5.5x installs? It's a bit annoying, that you have to switch Winamp's RG settings off, especially since I'd use your plugin for video files only.

2. Are there any plans to make it localizable via the 5.5+ language system?
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 18:00   #4
pbelkner

There are two reasons why I currently don't use the global Replay Gain setting:

1. I simply don't know how to access it.
2. I fear that possibly Replay Gain is applied two times, the first time by the plug-in and the second time by Winamp itself. But possibly I'm wrong.

Localization is planed.

Peter
Old 27th June 2010, 18:55   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

1. I'm sure a dev can help you and explain how to use that API, which hopefully automatically prevent 2.

Disabling Winamp's RG options isn't ideal. I'll ask if a dev could reply here.
Old 27th June 2010, 19:04   #6
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

from in2.h
PHP Code:
// Set this if you adjusted volume for replay gain. For tracks with no replay gain metadata then you
// should clear this flag UNLESS you handle "non_replaygain" gain adjustment yourself then keep it.
#define IN_MODULE_FLAG_REPLAYGAIN 8 
which is used in the UsesOutputPlug member of In_Module if you're doing your own RG processing so it'll make Winamp not do its own version. though i'm really struggling to see what advantage this has over Winamp's own plug-ins.

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 20:21   #7
pbelkner

Thanks a lot!
Quote:
though i'm really struggling to see what advantage this has over Winamp's own plug-ins.
One of the core ideas for this plug-in is to use SoX (http://sox.sourceforge.net/) at 32 bit for all DSP including replay gain, up-sampling and dithering. Hopefully in the near future I will explain this a bit deeper on the plug-in's home page. I run this plug-in myself for about half a year and I'm convinced that this is a very good idea.

Peter
Old 28th June 2010, 10:52   #8
pbelkner

"IN2.H" has the following:

PHP Code:
#define IN_MODULE_FLAG_USES_OUTPUT_PLUGIN 1
// By default, Winamp assumes that your input plugin wants to use Winamp's EQ, and doesn't do replay gain
// if you handle any of these yourself (EQ, Replay Gain adjustments), then set these flags accordingly
#define IN_MODULE_FLAG_EQ 2 // set this if you do your own EQ
#define IN_MODULE_FLAG_REPLAYGAIN 8 // set this if you adjusted volume for replay gain
                                                                        // for tracks with no replay gain metadata, you should clear this flag 
                                                                        // UNLESS you handle "non_replaygain" gain adjustment yourself
#define IN_MODULE_FLAG_REPLAYGAIN_PREAMP 16 // use this if you queried for the replay gain preamp parameter and used it 
If I understand it right, according to http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=2014534 the plug-in's init() function should have the folling:
PHP Code:
in.UsesOutputPlug |= IN_MODULE_FLAG_REPLAYGAIN;
in.UsesOutputPlug |= IN_MODULE_FLAG_REPLAYGAIN_PREAMP
This should prevent Winamp from appling RG and RG preamp twice. Is this correct?

How do I query the global RG and RG preamp settings ("IN2.H" at least mentiones that it should be possible.)

Peter
Old 29th June 2010, 07:39   #9
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

i believe what i posted and what you've found as the other flag defined should be enough to block it (though i'm sure i was told somewhere that it needs to be re-added at other times as well but i'd have to check that).

as for reading the RG settings, you'd need to use the agave_api_config service from the sdk though if you're overriding and using your own implementation then there isn't really a need to query it.

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:27   #10
pbelkner

FFSoxPlayer v0.2.1 released

Added setting the RG flags from "IN2.H" to both init() and play().

As it seems global RG settings may be left switched on now without affecting the plug-in.

On the other hand I have no idea how to access global RG settings. It would be nice to know because it would avoid requiring the user to set and synchronize RG settings on two places.

Last but not least: FFSoX Player plug-in runs perfectly with WA 5.58

Old 4th July 2010, 18:22   #11
pbelkner

v0.3 released

Got a feature request on SourceForge this morning:
Quote:
So far winamp lacks any resampling plugin that resamples audio. This is useful for people who have the soundblaster audigy series, which forces audio playback in 48Khz, and any audio not at that resolution will get resampled by the APU, which is horrible in the audigy series. Besides that, some others, although having good cards, may prefer resampling techniques done in software instead of hardware. As far as I know, one of the more prominent resamplers for foobar2000 was based on SoX algorithms, so I hope that this could be implemented in this plugin as well. Thank You
In response I've created v0.3 making almost all SoX resampling options available to the user. For details cf.Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/in-f...3.exe/download
Old 14th July 2010, 11:32   #12
pbelkner

Feature Request: Unicode Support

Have a feature request at Sourceforge:

Quote:
This plugin doesn't seem to support files with unicode naming? I would like to see it implemented if possible, although another alternative is simply to rename the files myself, it might be more practical to add unicode support to the plugin so that it can be used by people from different countries.
Quote:
with winamp's default input plugins, im able to play my songs which has
japanese characters in the file name, for example. when i switched over to
your plugin, i can't play them anymore
For opening the file I'm using the fn parameter from the Play() method as defined in "IN2.H":
PHP Code:
int (*Play)(const in_char *fn);        // return zero on success, -1 on file-not-found, some other value on other (stopping winamp) error 
Can somebody tell whether there is something special with japanese characters?
Old 14th July 2010, 11:54   #13
pbelkner

Quote:
Can somebody tell whether there is something special with japanese characters?
I think I've figured it out myself. Possibly I should define UNICODE_INPUT_PLUGIN.
Old 14th July 2010, 13:09   #14
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

If you run for example a German Operating system, and try to play a file with Japanese chars in the filename or in the tag, it will only show ???? instead of the correct chars.

If I can remember, there are a lot more places, where you can directly use a Unicode Call/API. E.g. there is a Unicode API for getting metadata, there is an Unicode API for the Winamp transcoder etc.

Also if you plan localization support in future, you should use Unicode as well, otherwise special chars or umlauts will only show ???? in the preferences.

The plugin simply should support Unicode where possible, ANSI based plugins and programs have no future.

But a plugin dev can give you a better, more complex description.

Some Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode
Winamp 5.55 SDK
Winamp Development Forum
Old 14th July 2010, 13:57   #15
pbelkner

Thanks a lot, Koopa.

As already mentioned I propably should recompile the plug-in with UNICODE_INPUT_PLUGIN defined. But this causes a follow-up problem. With UNICODE_INPUT_PLUGIN defined the in_char type is no longer a 8 bit ordinary char but a 16 bit wchar_t. This conflicts with the methods for opening a file in the SoX library as well as in the FFmpeg library. Both expect ordinary 8 bit char.

Browsing through the internet I found the following solution:
  1. Get the classical DOS path from the given Windows path via GetShortPathNameW()
  2. Simply cast down the wchar_t to oridnary char hoping that all japanese characters are removed from the DOS path.
In order to test this I wrote the following simple program:
PHP Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h>

wchar_t buf1***91;MAX_PATH***93;;
wchar_t buf2***91;MAX_PATH***93;;
char buf3***91;MAX_PATH***93;;

OPENFILENAMEW ofn = {
lStructSize sizeof(ofn),
hwndOwner NULL,
lpstrFilter L"All Files (*.*)\0*.*\0",
lpstrFile buf1,
nMaxFile MAX_PATH,
Flags OFN_EXPLORER OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST OFN_HIDEREADONLY,
lpstrDefExt L"txt",
};

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hinstance,

HINSTANCE hprevinstance,

LPSTR lpcmdline,

int ncmdshow)
{

AllocConsole();

freopen("conin$""r"stdin);

freopen("conout$""w"stdout);

freopen("conout$""w"stderr);

if (
GetOpenFileNameW(&ofn))
    {

// Do something useful with the filename stored in szFileName 

wchar_t *p2=buf2;

char *p3=buf3;

FILE *f;

// Convert unicode long path into unicode short path.
        // Hopefully the short path doesn't contain japanese special
        // characters.

GetShortPathNameW(buf1buf2sizeof buf2);

// Convert unicode short path into ASCII short path.

while (*p2)
p3++=*p2++;

p3=0;

f=fopen(buf3"rb");

fprintf(stdout"\"%s\": %s.\n"buf3,

f?"file opened":"error opening file");

if (
NULL!=f)

fclose(f);
    }

fprintf(stdout"\nHit any key ... ");

fflush(stdout);

fgetc(stdin);

return 
0;

Can somebody from Japan compile and run this program? Is this program able to open files with japanese characters in their names?
Old 14th July 2010, 14:08   #16
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
GetShortPathNameW()
Yes the 'W' indicates a Unicode call. I hope you find more Unicode calls in the SDK I linked to.
Quote:
Can somebody from Japan compile and run this program? Is this program able to open files with japanese characters in their names?
Yes, but a Japanese user can have trouble with German umlauts. If you make the plugin fully Unicode, you can open media files, independent from the used OS language/code page.

A pretty shitty example, I as a German user want to listen a Japenese soundtrack of an Anime (for example MP3 files).

If the input plugin (an mp3 decoder input plugin in that case) support ANSI only, the Songticker, the ATF string in the playlist will all show ???? instead of the correct chars.

There are tons of specific Unicode calls and you really should use them where possible.

The only downside, is that Unicode only works on NT+ based Systems. For Win9x based system you must use this, for basic Unicode support:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

But, I doubt that Win 9x support is really a worthwhile goal.

PS: I highly doubt, that the guy who made the request was a Japanese user. Furthermore I bet he is a user, who speaks a language with latin letters and only wants to listen/watch files, with Japanese chars.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:36   #17
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Yes, but a Japanese user can have trouble with German umlauts. If you make the plugin fully Unicode, you can open media files, independent from the used OS language/code page.
Thats of course true. The difference between german umlauts and japanese characters seems to be that german umlauts are defined in the classical 8 bit range but the japanese chracters only in the extended 16 bit range, i.e. german umlauts don't cause this problem (I already tried it). A test with some file having japanese characters in its name would be very useful.

Is it possible to upload the test program's compiled version to the forum? It would make it potential testers a bit easier.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:44   #18
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The WavPack decoder plugin had massive trouble even with German umlauts in the dialogs, when we tested it for the Essentials Pack. So German umlauts can fail on English, ANSI based applications as well.

And we are not only talking about eastern languages, Arabic languages, Greek etc neither won't be shown on English/German systems, if the plugin is ANSI only.

I send you a PM with a media file.

You can upload zip attachments, I can modify your first post and add an attachment if you want.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:01   #19
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
You can upload zip attachments, I can modify your first post and add an attachment if you want.
Would be great.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:18   #20
pbelkner

Second try to upload "test.zip" containing "test.c", "test.exe", and "Makefile".
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (8.3 KB, 204 views)
Old 25th July 2010, 13:37   #21
pbelkner

v0.4 released

What's new?
  • Enabled seeking (depends on whether the corresponding FFmpeg format supports it).
  • Made switching on/off the gain effect's limiter available in configuration dialog.
  • Resolved some issues which caused the plug-in to crash in case of unsupported codecs.
For details go here.
For download go here.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:19   #22
pbelkner

v0.4.1 released

What's new?
  • Support for "avcore-0.dll" (new FFmpeg library, has to be copied along the other DLLs if using FFmpeg from third party sites, e.g. http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/autobuilds/).
  • Resolved some video synchronization issues.
  • Switch on/off SoX decoders via configuration.
For details go here.
For download go here.
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:34   #23
pbelkner

v0.4.2 released

What's new?
  • Fixed seeking OGG (and possibly other formats).
  • Verified that streaming (e.g. via HTTP) is supported. For streaming "SoX decoder" in preferences should be switched off.
For details go here.
For download go here.
Old 22nd August 2010, 17:58   #24
pbelkner

Recompiled v0.4.2

There where some issues reported with the 0.4.2 binaries compiled on a Vista/64 system. I've just uploaded new binaries compiled on a XP/32 system which should do better.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Original Post "v0.4.2 released":

What's new?
  • Fixed seeking OGG (and possibly other formats).
  • Verified that streaming (e.g. via HTTP) is supported. For streaming "SoX decoder" in preferences should be switched off.
For details go here.
For download go here.

Last edited by pbelkner; 22nd August 2010 at 18:10. Reason: Post "v0.4.2 released" seems to be lost
Old 28th August 2010, 11:44   #25
pbelkner

v0.4.3 released

What's new?
  • Fixed reading metadata from OGG/Vorbis.
  • Fixed Musepack SV7 and SV8 formats crashing at the end of a track.
For details go here.
For download go here.
Old 10th October 2010, 13:56   #26
pbelkner

v0.4.4 released

What's new?
  • Changed order of applying the replay gain and resampling effects. Resampling is now the first effect.
  • The stereo (2.0) audio stream is preferred over any other audio stream.
  • Added an "Objectives" section to the documentation describing the objectives why we are developing the the plug-in (currently only with respect to audio processing).
For details go here.
For download go here.
Old 16th December 2010, 15:42   #27
pbelkner

v0.4.5 released

What's new?
  • Fixed mapping tags (under certain circumstances "Album Artist" where not properly mapped or could mask "Album").
  • Fixed playing mono.
  • Changed suggestion when to use "multiple integer" mode for up-sampling.
For details go here.
For download go here.
Old 15th May 2011, 15:04   #28
pbelkner

Version 0.4.6.4 released

FFmpeg has "bumped" their DLLs:
  • avutil-50.dll => avutil-51.dll
  • avcodec-52.dll => avcodec-53.dll
  • avformat-52.dll => avformat-53.dll
  • avcore-0.dll dropped
Version 0.4.6.4 released:
What's new?
  • Compatible to the latest (bumped) FFmpeg versions.
For upgrading to full FFmpeg (needed for playback of e.g. MP3, H264 and many other codecs and formats) get the FFmpeg DLLs from the latest shared builds
Old 17th May 2011, 22:05   #29
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

This is cool, and I've had it installed since last year.
Just wanted to break your solo posting to say thanks for your time and effort.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 09:20   #30
wad62

Like the other poster I'd just like to say thanks for the plugin, it's excellent

I've been using FFSoX as an input plugin for about 6 months now, upsampling standard 16/44.1 FLAC to 24/96, and also applying album replaygain via FFSoX. I've just upgraded to your latest version.

My study setup; QNAP NAS (FLAC library), PC (XP/SP3), Winamp FFSoX in DirectSound out, M-Audio 192 SPDIF, Beresford TC-7510 MK6/4 2496 DAC, Audiolab 8000S, Mission 780SEs

I must admit to having been sceptical about upsampling, but one can't argue with the results, there's a definite improvement of clarity at the top end...why I don't know, perhaps it helps the DAC.

One does have to tweak some buffer settings to get gapless working correctly, due to the increase in data volume, but other than that it's very easy to implement.

P.S. Are you likely to be updating your documentation at any time, to include the new features?

Thanks again, great work
wad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 09:18   #31
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOAL View Post
This is cool, and I've had it installed since last year.
Just wanted to break your solo posting to say thanks for your time and effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wad62 View Post
Like the other poster I'd just like to say thanks for the plugin, it's excellent
Thank's a lot :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad62 View Post
P.S. Are you likely to be updating your documentation at any time, to include the new features?
Possibly sometimes in the future ;-)

Meanwhile you'd like to have a look at some respective discussions at HA forum:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...***entry739620
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=85978
Old 1st October 2011, 15:00   #32
pbelkner

v0.4.6.5 released

What's new?
  • Enables 32 bit float format for decoding e.g. MP3, AC3 and other lossy audio codecs.
  • Enables (and requires) usage of FFmpeg's "swscale-2.dll", i.e. compatible to the latest FFmpeg versions. For upgrading to full FFmpeg (needed for playback of e.g. MP3, H264 and many other codecs and formats) get the FFmpeg DLLs from the latest shared builds at Zeranoe: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/shared/.
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:17   #33
pbelkner

Version 0.4.6.6 released

What's new?
  • Provided the option "Force Seek" in order to allow for seeking without any test whether seeking is supported by a format or not.
    NOTE: If checked and a particular format doesn't support seeking the behavior is undefined.
  • Provided the option "Prefer Float" for switching on/off 32 bit floating point decoders for lossy codecs.
Old 15th October 2011, 16:58   #34
pbelkner

Version 0.4.6.7 released

There is a long standing feature request at Sourceforge:
Quote:
This plugin doesn't seem to support files with unicode naming? I would like to see it implemented if possible, although another alternative is simply to rename the files myself, it might be more practical to add unicode support to the plugin so that it can be used by people from different countries.
Quote:
with winamp's default input plugins, im able to play my songs which has
japanese characters in the file name, for example. when i switched over to
your plugin, i can't play them anymore
Version 0.4.6.7 released:
What's new?
  • Unicode support for file and directory names.
  • Unicode support for metadata.
  • Option "SoX Decoder" removed.
Old 15th October 2011, 17:12   #35
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM613 View Post
Is there a reason why it does not use the Winamp playback options for the overall gain 5.5x replay of the installation? It's a bit annoying that you have to change the Winamp RG-out options, especially when I want to use your plugin for video files.
WOW Gold********* Money Tera Items
Because I simply don't know how to access it:
  1. Koopa already asked the same question above at #3.
  2. I already pointed out that I don't know how at #4.
  3. Koopa asked the devs, cf. #5.
  4. Got some answer from DrO at #6, but unfortunately it doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 10th November 2011, 21:58   #36
SilverBird775

pbelkner
Thank you for a great work you doing!

I like it but seem cannot get it to output 5.1 audio for videos. Can you please tweak the codecs to output audio without channel matrixing?
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 04:54   #37
pbelkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBird775 View Post
I like it but seem cannot get it to output 5.1 audio for videos. Can you please tweak the codecs to output audio without channel matrixing?
I have to admit that I was only interested in 2.0 so far and don't have any idea how to deal with 5.1. In which form do you expect 5.1, e.g. PCM interleaved? Which output plug-in you are using, e.g. "out_ds.dll"?
Old 13th November 2011, 09:09   #38
SilverBird775

I'm using my own plugin, "out_maiko.dll". It can do 5.1 to 2.0 transform as well as 5.1 bypass for receiver. The plugin are able to reconfigure the actual processing chain by reading the active endpoint requirements. So i believe it knows perfectly well when to matrix and when do not.

It support 8, 16, 24, 32 integer interleaved PCM and 32, 64, 80 bit float interleaved PCM;
1-8 channels in standard windows order; plus resampler and encoding conversion when necessary.

I works in either Shared mode or Exclusive mode.

My matrixing is lacking the decent setup and have no presets yet but i'll keep working on this. I can play the same DVDs via AC3filter+DShow (*.VOB), and the sound is much juicy this way. For a home cinema my plugin upmixing stereo to surround again which is really silly action after in_ffsox mixed surround to stereo.
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 10:18   #39
casiasser

wow !!!!!

hello.
Nice device
casiasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 11:50   #40
pbelkner

Quote:
I'm using my own plugin, "out_maiko.dll".
Ok, I see.

Quote:
It support 8, 16, 24, 32 integer interleaved PCM and 32, 64, 80 bit float interleaved PCM;
I'll try to figure out whether it is possible for FFSoX to deliver interleaved PCM other then 2.0.

Maybe some "behind the scenes co-operative testing" is needed because I don't have the possibility to playback 5.1.

But in any way, it will take some time.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion