Old 30th July 2010, 13:03   #1
JNygren

What is "Winamp Application Detector Plugin"?

I just discovered a plugin in Firefox that I did not put there. What is "Winamp Application Detector" plugin? Why is there absolutely NO information about it anywhere on winamp.com or in the forums? How did it get on my computer? How do I get rid of it?
JNygren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 13:37   #2
JonnyMac

No worries...
Quote:
From the Winamp 5 Component List & Installation Guide

Winamp Detector Plug-in

Browser plugins for participating websites (winamp.com, shoutcast.com, spinner.com, music.aol.com, etc) to detect Winamp presence and version and deliver appropriate content (eg. for knowing whether your version of Winamp supports the winamp:// protocol from v5.57 and above).

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 17:46   #3
JNygren

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I guess Winamp is just trying to be more than I expect of it.
JNygren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 15:00   #4
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
I actually dislike it very much that the installer again and again tries to install it when installing a new Winamp version, even if I ever and ever again disable it in the installer.

It's not the point that it woudln't be saved in install.ini in the Winamp Directory. In fact, there are entries with "=0", but the installer itself seems not to detect that...
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 15:08   #5
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

that's just how it has been done though i'm not 100% sure but i was under the impression that it's not included with the 'full' install type anymore (unless that's just something with the internal versions). there are reasons why it was enabled in all cases (and was raised on the internal beta list but a response was generally lacking about it). you just have to remember to be careful when installing (a sad thing but that's just how most software seems to be going nowadays *shrugs* ).

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support