If you have a sound card and not afraid to open up your computer, make sure that the sound card snugly fits in the slot. Also, try the following
1. Control Panel (Category View) > Speech Sound & Audio Devices Icon > Sounds & Audio Devices icon
1. Control Panel (Classic View) > Sounds & Audio Devices icon
2. Audio tab
3. in 'Sound playback' make sure the 'Default device:' drop-down box correctly reflects your sound-chip/sound card. You may want to do the same for the Voice tab.
4. Apply button > OK button
5. close out of Control Panel
6. close Windows and restart/reboot the computer
2. Ctrl+P (for preferences)
3. Plug-ins > Output
4. double click 'DirectSound output'
5. Driver tab
6. make sure the device in the drop-down list correctly reflects your sound card
7. close out of Prefs > close Winamp > close Windows and restart the computer.
Still no luck? Windows seem to be having troubles recognizing the sound card, so this is more of system problem than a Winamp problem. A couple good forums for general tech support are Tech Support Guy
and Suggest A Fix
. Although they are not affiliated with or endorsed by Nullsoft/Winamp, they have been commonly suggested here at Winamp Forums.
In any case good luck