Old 10th December 2010, 21:28   #1
Trygon00

5.6 killed itself :(

So I upgraded to 5.6, I think Im going to have a fun time with listening to my music again. Nope Winamp didn't come up. So I restarted my computer, Nope. I downgrade to 5.58, Nope, I still refused to come back up. . Someone please help.

Edit. So I go back to my 2.91 version and this one is working. . .
Trygon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 21:53   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Post a list of your installed plugins, so that we can see, if an incompatible plugin produces the issues for you.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 21:56   #3
Trygon00

Alright I have a hefty list of them.

I might have to just take a screen cap of them too.
Old 10th December 2010, 21:59   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nope, just use the tool and follow the steps at the site i linked too. Attach the created text file as forum attachment here. That's enough.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:04   #5
Trygon00

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...00/Plugins.jpg

There ya go. And yeah I used quite a bit of plugins.

Edit : Oops. . A bit late then.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:08   #6
Trygon00

Also just realized I cant even do it that way you suggested, because the program doesn't come up at all.
Old 11th December 2010, 00:00   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

There are also infos, how to use the standalone version, which does not require a running winamp.
Old 11th December 2010, 02:26   #8
Trygon00

Well if the program isn't stating up at all. Maybe its a problem with 5.6? I'm no tech expert. . I just can guess about whats wrong with it.

I get the feeling that something with it didnt fly with my computer or just a mishap. .

And as I said I also downgraded to 5.58 as some friends suggested. Which they said would fix the not starting up problem. It didnt. I figured I would also try and uninstall and then reinstall. Nope that didn't do it either. .
Old 11th December 2010, 05:15   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if you won't run this:

http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/files/nunz.exe

we can't help.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 08:57   #10
Guru Imakuni

I've been having the same problem since updating. I launch Winamp but nothing happens. There is a process running though.

It seems C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\winamp.ini is to blame. I backed it up and did a fresh install over the old install and when it recreated winamp.ini it launched fine.

I'm still trying to figure how to get my old ini file working though.
Guru Imakuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 09:58   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I can see a fair few 3rd-party plugins in Trygon00's screenshot,
but it's really hard to tell without seeing a proper log, as created by the standalone plugin list generator
(instructions can be found via the link Koopa posted in his first reply above).

in_psf.dll
in_snes.dll
in_usf.dll
in_ym.dll
in_zm4a.dll

Probably one or more of those to blame...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 12:27   #12
Trygon00

D: I don't want to be stuck with my 2.91 version. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
I can see a fair few 3rd-party plugins in Trygon00's screenshot,
but it's really hard to tell without seeing a proper log, as created by the standalone plugin list generator
(instructions can be found via the link Koopa posted in his first reply above).

in_psf.dll
in_snes.dll
in_usf.dll
in_ym.dll
in_zm4a.dll

Probably one or more of those to blame...
I cant DO that because the program doesn't even come up when clicked. . 3rd or 4th time I am saying this in this thread.
Old 11th December 2010, 13:05   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hehe

3rd or 4th time stated in this thread, by me and others.... ;-)

There's a standalone version of the plugin list generator, called nunz.exe (see above posts).
You place it in the same folder as winamp.exe
Then double-click nunz.exe
and it will generate a list of plugins txt file
which you can then attach here.

Or... you can just go to %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins folder
Create a new Backup subfolder in there
Move those five 3rd-party plugins I listed above into the Backup folder....
Old 12th December 2010, 13:59   #14
nferno

Hi Trygon, I think I know which of your plugins is/are the guilty one(s). I had the exact same problem as you: Upgrade to 5.6 and Winamp suddenly refuses to start; nothing happens.

So I ended up finding this thread, which already gave me the hint that a plug-in might be causing trouble. I moved all the stuff in my Plugins folder to some other temporary folder to see whether Winamp would start again. Luckily it did, so then I started moving some plug-ins back, in order to find out which one is breaking Winamp.

A couple minutes later I figured out that my Chipamp plug-in bundle is to be blamed. I noticed in your list of screenshots that you've got the SNESamp and 64th note plugins, so I'm guessing you've also got Chipamp installed. Either way, I'm not quite sure which one of the Chipamp plug-ins isn't 5.6-compatible, but Winamp will probably work fine again if you simply uninstall Chipamp (or if you try removing SNESamp, 64th note, etc... one by one).
nferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 14:10   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi nferno

Yes, it's definitely Chipamp to blame.
Some of the plugins bundled with Chipamp are really old.
There's newer versions available separately of some of those plugins,
so I recommend that you remove whatever Chipamp installed and then go install the newer required plugins separately...

For SNESamp (in_snes.dll), see here:
http://www.alpha-ii.com/Download/Main.html#SNESamp (get v3.3.4 first)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....57#post2710057 (then install DrO's wrapper)
http://nunzioweb.com/daz/game_emulation/snesamp.html
Old 12th December 2010, 14:16   #16
DrO

for SNESamp i'd highly suggest installing SNESamp v3.3.4 and then installing the wrapper plug-in from http://nunzioweb.com/daz/game_emulation/snesamp.html which i've got installed with 5.60x and doesn't cause any issues (with it's recent updates done during the 5.59/5.6 development phase so is known to work).

for 64th Note i'd highly suggest http://hcs64.com/usf/64thnote/64thv12b3.exe which was available around the time chipamp was made and is a far better version of 64th Note to use than the 1.1 version (shame it's stagnated / i've not a chance to submit some more patches to make it work better with Winamp 5.5+).

for adplug/adlib i'd highly suggest http://www.shikadi.net/adplug/ (v1.8.2 at the time) which seems to be more compatible with newer Winamp's than v1.7 is (and thankfully doesn't do some weird file extension issue that i saw with the older versions of it).

-daz

[edit]
gah too slow again
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 07:29   #17
Suiko

Hey guys, I'm having similar problems with chipamp/winamp combo (winamp failing to do just about anything atm) and I read the suggestion of removing a plugin in one by one...

for me at least on win7 it started working again after removing in_snes.dll that came with Chipamp and using the link in this thread. I think the one packed with chipamp is from 2004 and as DrO and DJ Egg said downloading the new one works just fine. hopefully this might help someone else
Suiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 01:53   #18
Trygon00

Posting this while sleepy too so forgive me ahead of time if I say anything confusing.

Ok really late with a response here but easy way to uninstall the chipamp please. Also I cant wait to get my Winamp back using 2.90 I notice a huge sound quality difference on my headphones. I miss my music quality. .
Old 17th December 2010, 21:32   #19
Trygon00

Well, I once again tried to uninstall and reinstall a previous version. Failed Winamp still isn't working.

Apparently I never had this Chipamp file ever. Not even the uninstall.exe.

Its been fun having Winamp for years but thanks Winamp 5.6 you killed yourself for my computer. Going to find another media device now.
Old 17th December 2010, 23:25   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Trygon00

You have got Chipamp
because those 5 plugins I listed further up (from your screenshot) are part of it

A new fixed version of Chipamp has just been released
http://www.chipamp.org

If the problem persists... well, we're still waiting for your List of Plugins via the standalone nunz.exe
and/or confirmation that you tried a proper clean install of 5.601
(which isn't the same as uninstall->reinstall, because uninstall doesn't remove 3rd-party plugins).
Old 20th December 2010, 22:50   #21
Trygon00

I give up with this. I am not any kind of technical person. I honestly hate jumping through any number of loops to get programs working when things like this happen with any program.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:57   #22
DrO

you don't have to be technical to follow the instructions which have been provided and the comments which based on what you had provided indicated exactly what was wrong and what is needed to fix the issue.

obviously it's your choice what you do but we have tried to help you and provide you with what needs to be done to resolve the crash (which no one ever wanted to happen but alas this is what can and does happen with old plug-ins which haven't been updated for newer versions of Winamp which the security fixes appear to have triggered).

either way, the information is in Egg's post so is in your hands now as we cannot force you to follow what will resolve the crash issue.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 04:09   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygon00 View Post
I give up with this. I am not any kind of technical person. I honestly hate jumping through any number of loops to get programs working when things like this happen with any program.
i'm just a user like you, i don't work for winamp or anything like that, but frankly you seem to have your head up where the sun don't shine.

the problem is NOT winamp, winamp works fine.

the problem is you have crap installed that does not work with winamp. maybe you put it there, maybe not, but someone did. maybe it worked back then, maybe not, but that 3rd party crap plugin is what is causing your crash.

all you have to do is delete that crap plugin from the folder its in. thats it. you could do that in 1min. if you would rather bitch about winamp than solve your problem, then imo you aren't worth helping or listening to.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:45   #24
KLevis

Winamp v5.601 not loading

Winamp v5.601 not loading after update from earlier version. To solve this problem uninstall winamp and when you reinstall it chose another location to install it, not in Program Files, for example you could install it in C:\Winamp.
Problem solved!!!
Please confirm the result!
KLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support