Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 11th December 2010, 20:33   #1
Liontamer

in_mp3.dll error - Any writing to ID3v2 tags erases "Compilation" metadata

So to flag an MP3 as being part of a Compilation, you can either

iTunes: Get Info for the file, then check the box marked "Part of a compilation"

or

MP3tag: Type a "1" inside the Compilation field

Either process there does the same thing, putting data in the file that affirms it is part of a compilation.

However, if you edit an ID3v2 tag in Winamp and save it, Winamp erases the metadata in the Compilation field. Can this be fixed?

I am not sure if this means there is other iTunes-related metadata (e.g. "part of a gapless album") that is also being overwritten, but it may be worth looking into.
Liontamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 22:53   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i assume you are talking about the TCMP frame? i will try to confirm this later, but if true thats a nasty bug akin to windows7 stomping on RG tags.

what would be better would be for winamp to actually support the TCMP frame, so a user can edit that field in winamp, then the issue would forever more be avoided, and users using ipods could use winamp alone to get their tags straight to get good behavior.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 05:33   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

TCMP (iTunes Compilation) is not part of the official/standard ID3v2 specs.

http://www.id3.org/Compliance_Issues

PHP Code:
v2.3
   iTunes
   Non
-standard TCMP frame
   When you check the 
"Part of a compilation"  checkbox on the Info tab of the tag editor form,

iTunes will add a  non-standard TCMP frame to the tag
http://www.id3.org/Developer_Information

PHP Code:
Unofficial Frames Seen in the Wild

These are frames that are not in the specs that programs are writing
:

TCMPiTunes Compilation Flag 
More info
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=30752

However, I guess we should look further into the matter and ensure that we don't delete this custom frame in future, even if we don't currently use it.
We shall see.....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 05:56   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

come on Egg, lots of things aren't in the spec. TPE2 as AA isn't in the spec, (in fact AA isn't in the spec at all), RG tags as implemented aren't in the spec, etc...

TCMP is a de facto standard, (for id3), if not a "by spec" standard. why not simply only support editing the field? it makes winamp better for ipod'rs and those who use itunes too.

and like you already said, you shouldn't be overwriting the frame! i can confirm the bug does in fact exist, and it means those who use winamp and itunes will have ugly, unexplained behavior in itunes and on their ipods b/c of what winamp does.

--
Old 12th December 2010, 12:27   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

TPE2 and RG have become more standardized as more and more programs use them.
Maybe we just didn't even know about TCMP. Why should we, if only iTunes uses it?

However, as I said, we'll look into it and hopefully come up with a fix for the next release.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:36   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, actually, TCMP support has been in your sticky known wishlist post for years. its not just itunes either; other apps, like mp3tag, have supported it for a long time.

and i agree, a de facto standard exists for TPE2/AA and RG, just as it does for id3/comps/TCMP. thats all i was trying to say.

not trying to be a pain in the ass, but i add comp tags b/c other people who use itunes/ipods use my files, and now i have to worry everytime i edit with winamp if i am writing over a comp tag. since winamp officially supports older ipods anyway, surely supporting this tag is crucial?

thats why if you simply officially supported editing the TCMP frame, (where blank, 1, and 0 are the possible values), that would be the best solution. in other words, just fixing the nasty bug here is only half of it. the other half is in making winamp a better choice for ipod'rs who want to use only winamp, and by officially supporting it now, the problem would not surface again later.

just stating my case, nothing personal intended or taken.

wishlist (under ML):

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=64975

my own 2008 post:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....highlight=tcmp

--
Old 12th December 2010, 20:02   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

LOL, and I bet it was me who added that line in the Wishlist too.

Alas, in_mp3's id3v2 parser currently deletes any frames that it doesn't understand.
We should probably just rewrite it.... though that would be quite a large project to take on.

For now, I guess we should just make it not delete any existing TCMP frame.
Actual read/write support is a different issue....
Old 12th December 2010, 20:24   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
LOL, and I bet it was me who added that line in the Wishlist too.

Alas, in_mp3's id3v2 parser currently deletes any frames that it doesn't understand.
We should probably just rewrite it.... though that would be quite a large project to take on.
thats disturbing. surely, at worst it should simply ignore frames it doesn't understand/respect? (not just TCMP ones either, but ALL of them)

i highly object (professionally speaking mind you) to this behavior. and btw, i think this is new behavior, i don't think, (but i'm not sure) that it always did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
For now, I guess we should just make it not delete any existing TCMP frame.
Actual read/write support is a different issue....
well, that would be half the problem re:this frame, but only half. as per the links i posted, and others i didn't, it makes sense to support editing this as a column in the ML. if winamp purports to support ipods, it MUST support reading and writing proper values to this frame.

keep in mind, i am NOT suggesting that winamp do ANYTHING more than allow proper editing of the frame value. winamp shouldn't start using the value to impact the functionality of winamp, as a substitute for AA tags or something in that regard. all i am requesting is recognition of, and editing of, the frame.

--
Old 12th December 2010, 20:34   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
btw, i think this is new behavior, i don't think, (but i'm not sure) that it always did this.
It's always been like that. And no-one on the current team coded it originally.
Old 14th December 2010, 02:24   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

see this old thread for new posts between benski and me:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=292979

hopefully the convo can move to this new thread though, b/c i think its more concise and understandable here.

--
Old 14th December 2010, 02:50   #11
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

the throwing-away of non-understood tags is a side-effect of the old id3lib-based implementation; it's not by design. I've been tinkering with a new ID3v2 parser to address this and a number of 'unfixable' bugs with the current parser like the handling of unsynchronized files and certain issues with ID3v2.4.

Unfortunately, ID3v2 parsing is such a highly visible feature that I'm going to be very careful before swapping out the old code.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 03:04   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

i hear what you are saying and thats very understandable, however...

i just want to clarify that it actually deletes from the file/tag what are in reality, legitimate frames. TCMP is absolutely legitimate if you are an itunes/ipod user, and if winamp purports to support ipods, it should support recognizing/editing frame, (and only that, no other functionary changes). i would think other frames could be legitimate as well, so instead of "throwing them away" or deleting them, best default behavior would be to just ignore them at least.

in any case, i understand being cautious. but winamp is right now actually damaging the tags itunes users need. it does so without any obvious indication or warning. b/c of that, i really think supporting TCMP anyway, should be addressed sooner rather than later.

--
Old 4th January 2011, 17:56   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Benski,

i think this is the number one worst bug in winamp. i am curious if winamp also deletes soundcheck tags? i agree with you though that id3 handling is very sensitive. why not then get a small group of us to test out your new code? if it supports editing TCMP frames, and allows for optionally ignoring rather than deleting other "non-understood" frames, i'd be very interested in it.

i hope Batter Pudding, DrO, Koopa, Egg, Osmosis, Liontamer and others would be willing to test a new id3 parser, are you game?

--
Old 18th January 2011, 18:00   #14
Liontamer

I'm (clearly) not a forum regular, but if something comes of this, I'd be glad to test a new ID3 parser. :-)
Old 21st April 2011, 22:36   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Benski, Egg,

any updates with this? this is still the #1 worst bug in winamp today.

happy to test code!

--
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:15   #16
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
i hope Batter Pudding, DrO, Koopa, Egg, Osmosis, Liontamer and others would be willing to test a new id3 parser, are you game?
Argh - people are talking about me...

Will help test this if needed. Can I suggest a quick way of doing a test would be to do a beta test plugin of some form that can do a side-by-side list of reading the tags with the old and the new libraries. Just dumping the values of tags up onto a dialog box. Would let us do some quick comparisons. (Especially as we can have MP3TAG up on screen at the same time... but I will not have the evil satan's spawn of iTunes in my house... )

I have a very mixed collection of tracks. Not all of it has been ripped by Winamp. Some from really odd and badly labelled sources. Including tracks with incorrect file extensions (i.e. .mp3 instead of .wma). [Yeah - from P2P from friends so all kinds of bad and patchy tagging]

I could point winamp into some of the messiest folders and compare the results between old and new.

Now heads back into the rest of the forum to see what else people are saying about me....
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 13:41   #17
Liontamer

Just a friendly bump on this issue, since it seemed like it was being looked at. I continually update and haven't seen it fixed, so just wanted to bring some attention to it again. Definitely not angry/upset, I just use MP3tag to double-check compilation tags, so if DJ Egg & Benski resolve this eventually down the line, that's great.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:17   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Should be fixed in the next release. Awaiting confirmation :-)
Old 26th August 2011, 10:29   #19
DrO

seems promising...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 21:27   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

indeed. i sent a more detailed PM, but so far it seems to work without problems!

i want to pick up on an idea that i've seen DrO talk about, and Batter Pudding mention.

along with the tabs you currently get when you "alt+3" a file, a "tag dump" tab would be awesome. what i mean is a tab which would be split into two, left and right columns, that you could vertically scroll, (one scroll bar).

on the left hand side, would be the actual code or frame name. so not "COMPILATION" but rather "TCMP" or "TXXX COMPILATION" in other words, no interpretation, just a straight display of what the frame/field is called.

on the right hand side would be a straight representation of the value. thats it.

this tab resembles "extended tags" in mp3tag, but like i say, its better/different in that its just a straight representation of whats in there without any app interpretation (which unfortunately mp3tag does)

squeezebox does something similar to this, when you drill down to any given song you can do song info, and it just dumps out all the tags in a file, fields and values. display only.

so what winamp could do is add this tab, at least to start, as JUST a display tab. you could add a third column, if you wanted to explain what the row was for those who don't know TCMP, but i don't think its necessary.

the tab could also include a link to the winamp wiki explaining tags, and the id3 or other tag type published web standards.

EDIT:

also, i don't have any "soundcheck" tags, so i don't know if those or other "non-understood" tag types get deleted or what, AND i would really like winamp to give me the ability to add/edit/delete TCMP tags right in the ML, not just ignore them.

--
Old 26th August 2011, 21:41   #21
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@MrSinatra's idea....

Nice... I'd call that "Geek Mode". Handy for a select view, but not the average user.

BUT... it should be an advanced option that has to be turned on. If that was on by default, you are setting yourself up for some idiot kid to put all kinds of random carp\goldfish into the tracks he had ripped. And that chaos could cause hassles for other applications.

I'd make this a hidden option that has to be turned on by editing the winamp.ini file. That way people who need it can enable it and supply decent feedback on new tags and so on. Meanwhile that "average" user will never see this and never actually miss it.
Old 26th August 2011, 21:58   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King

not sure i understand what you mean? i am proposing a new "tag dump tab" when you do alt+3 (file info). to start anyway, it would simply be display only, there would be no danger to anything, other than exposing the inner working of tags, which might lead to lots of "wtf is this" type questions, but not dangerous.

EDIT: i also meant to add earlier, that the way the tab should work, is that everytime the tab is selected, the contents should be refreshed from FILE, meaning, the files should be reread. the contents of the tab should always come straight from the file and not the ML. and if you reclick, or click away to another tab and then come back to the tag dump tab, the file should be reread and the tabs contents updated.

--
Old 26th August 2011, 22:43   #23
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah - readonly. Fair enough.

I am not that heavily into the specs and so on of MP3 tags and how new ones get created. So I can understand how my post could sounds confusing.

All I was thinking about is the average iTunes idiot who may use Winamp. Don't want to confuse those people. 90% of users are not going to understand the page. So I didn't want to see some of these berks messing with data they don't understand.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:29   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

i totally agree with you. and once it was established the tab worked well, perhaps editing could be enabled ONLY by doing what you suggest first, a manual ini edit of winamp config files.

--
Old 29th August 2011, 05:32   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg, DrO, Benski,

what do you think of the idea below?

i know resources are limited, but can it be added to the "official to do" list?

thx!

Quote:
i want to pick up on an idea that i've seen DrO talk about, and Batter Pudding mention.

along with the tabs you currently get when you "alt+3" a file, a "tag dump" tab would be awesome. what i mean is a tab which would be split into two, left and right columns, that you could vertically scroll, (one scroll bar).

on the left hand side, would be the actual code or frame name. so not "COMPILATION" but rather "TCMP" or "TXXX COMPILATION" in other words, no interpretation, just a straight display of what the frame/field is called.

on the right hand side would be a straight representation of the value. thats it.

this tab resembles "extended tags" in mp3tag, but like i say, its better/different in that its just a straight representation of whats in there without any app interpretation (which unfortunately mp3tag does)

squeezebox does something similar to this, when you drill down to any given song you can do song info, and it just dumps out all the tags in a file, fields and values. display only.

so what winamp could do is add this tab, at least to start, as JUST a display tab. you could add a third column, if you wanted to explain what the row was for those who don't know TCMP, but i don't think its necessary.

the tab could also include a link to the winamp wiki explaining tags, and the id3 or other tag type published web standards.

EDIT:

also, i don't have any "soundcheck" tags, so i don't know if those or other "non-understood" tag types get deleted or what, AND i would really like winamp to give me the ability to add/edit/delete TCMP tags right in the ML, not just ignore them.
Quote:
EDIT: i also meant to add earlier, that the way the tab should work, is that everytime the tab is selected, the contents should be refreshed from FILE, meaning, the files should be reread. the contents of the tab should always come straight from the file and not the ML. and if you reclick, or click away to another tab and then come back to the tag dump tab, the file should be reread and the tabs contents updated.

--
Old 29th August 2011, 21:35   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=334031

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=333336

--
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:55   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

i want to thank the Devs for fixing this in 5.622, such that TCMP and many other valid frames are no longer deleted. thanks!

however, that is only half the issue. there are things still to be done, like allowing editing of TCMP, as well as adding an advanced id3 tab for viewing/ini enabled edits, etc...

i hope winamp will consider doing so. thx!

--
Old 13th March 2013, 02:17   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

as winamp continues to branch out into macs, idevices, other portables, the cloud, etc, it becomes increasingly important that explicit comp tag status be editable/displayed, as many other things depend on those tags.

winamp doesn't need to change behavior to the desktop app, beyond simply exposing the tag, which is VERY common and universal these days, to editing and use in ML columns and smartview criteria for display.

--
Old 30th January 2014, 09:48   #29
micronicos

Send a message via Skype™ to micronicos
Wonder if Radionomy will add any tags of their own?

Regards,
Nico Morrison
Radio Flower Raj - live music, news & interviews.

IBM T41 (2003) [2GB RAM 300GB IDE HDD XP Pro SP3]
INTEL SERVER MOTHERBOARD (2004) [2GB RAM DEBIAN 7.3]
micronicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports