16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Translation works OK.

However I see a problem here...
Take a look:
[No registry key, no default winamp dir, no Info Tool config files]
1. Run Tool
2. Tool will show a message, with 2 options: Quit and Manual path select.
- Quit: OK
- Manual: Folder choose dialog shows... Now, if you choose proper location is OK. But, if I want to cancel this (want to quit), I can not do this! If I press cancel in that dialog I see another messagebox, that inform me that I must choose proper path - and return to dialog... this is wrong!

If I press cancel, I should Quit the tool.
-Pawel
The loop (if you cancel the folder dialog) is wanted. If you cancel you get a message that you must enter a path. You can choose any path you want, even if it's not correct. If you enter a wrong path you get the 'yes/no' message again which allows you to quit the tool.

But yeah lemme change it a bit, so that it is less confusing.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 09:52   #642
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just uploaded Build 3981.

This hopefully should make you happy. The downside is, that your language file needs an update.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:13   #643
Aminifu
Forum King

Build 3981 writes a new report to the new location and updates the target location in preferences, but the old location is still deleted without moving the prior existing reports.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 10:15   #644
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I've altered both Warning messages.

LINK REMOVED

Will grab some food now, so take time with your update, hehe.

Aminifu:

Just uploaded 3982, this hopefully will fix this issue finally. *sigh*

Thanks for finding these glitches.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:59   #645
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

You're getting there. At startup Build 3983 creates the new folders, transfers the existing reports, and moves the .ini file. But it's back to not updating the target location in the preferences, so unless the user does this, new reports are written to the old reports location.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 28th July 2014, 11:22   #646
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Pawel:

No idea how this happened, but something went wrong with the link.

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/140...nglish_2.9.nsh

[Edit]My SHUP acts a bit weird. Renamed it to 2.9, to make sure you get the correct version.

Aminifu:

I understand now what you mean, I just haven't done code for this (I just forgot about it).

I will adress it for the next build.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:32   #647
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
I understand now what you mean, I just haven't done code for this (I just forgot about it).

I will adress it for the next build.
OK, also don't forget to update the Backup Tool for these folder location changes. I suggest giving this priority over the auto-archiving for that tool.

Old 28th July 2014, 18:39   #648
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just uploaded Build 3985, which should update the report path in the ini file, when the old default report path was used. (The glitch reported by Aminifu)

It also features Pawel's Polish language update.
Old 28th July 2014, 19:03   #649
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, everything working in Build 3985. Good job.

Old 28th July 2014, 21:03   #650
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded Build 3987.

1. I've made changes to the importer again.

There was the rare scenario, that someone want to use APPDATA\Winamp\Reports as custom report path, the tool then would import the reports again and again on each start.

So I made the following changes:

- The tool will only import the old reports, if there is an old 'Path' entry in the Winamp_Info_Tool.ini file
- The old 'Path' entry will be read and updated by the new 'ReportDir' entry, even for custom report paths.

So basically if you use a custom path, the tool should read the custom path and replace 'Path' with 'ReportDir' in your ini file.

2. I t took me some time to find the reason of a nasty glitch.
For new users who never used the tool before, it is meant to write an ini file with the default settings.

If there is already an existing ini file present, it will only update it with the relevant info.

That is based on a file check. I noticed, that the tool always only wrote the update info, but never created an ini file for new users with all relevant settings. So the file check totally failed in v4.6.1.

Then I found the reason, the new InstallPath code writes a Winamp_Info_Tool.ini file, before the tool checks if there was already an existing ini file.

That glitch should be fixed.

To summarize it, please test if things are still working, these changes were sadly needed.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:17   #651
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
maybe I have gone to the wrong place? but I DL'd from the first post, is this the right place to get 3987?

if so, for me, it reports itself as 3966.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 21:35   #653
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
thx. seems to be running well for me, but I wasn't having problems before.

interestingly, I get the * for my in_mp3 ver 105, which officially isn't official.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 21:41   #654
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
interestingly, I get the * for my in_mp3 ver 105, which officially isn't official.
the check is based on the filename so it's not surprising it's showing it and is how it needs to be to cope with different Winamp releases.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 07:43   #655
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Info Tool v4.6.1 Final is now available via my website.
Thanks to all the people who helped with testing.

The updated English example file v2.9 is now available from my website and via xlat.

Newer final versions with updated language files will be compiled even after 4.6.1 Final was released.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:37   #656
MarkRH

Hmmm... seems that the site failed to send me an email about this thread being updated or it did and my brain didn't register it as actually being newer than the last time I visited it and deleted it. Only came here cause I got an email about another thread being updated. Anyway, I'll try out the latest one and see what it does.

Update: using v4.6.1.3990 and doing my normal thing with it (I just stick it in Winamp directory), everything seemed to work fine. It pulled in my old settings, created a new report, uploaded it to website without even looking at it and it seems to do fine. http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.shtml

I'll mess around with the registry key and different places to run the tool from and see what happens next.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 20:43   #657
MarkRH

Here's what I've done:

Ran it normal with too in Winamp directory and registry intact: no difference than before (duh).

Ran it from download directory and registry entry removed with Winamp in same location: It found Winamp w/o showing a dialog and ran fine.

Ran it from download directory, registry key removed, renamed Winamp directory: I then got the dialog that it couldn't find it and I told it where it was. Seemed to run fine after that.

I did clear the Winamp install path from the tool's INI file each time.

So seems like the various detection methods are working.

I've put everything back to normal.
Old 31st July 2014, 01:44   #658
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
Here's what I've done:

Ran it normal with too in Winamp directory and registry intact: no difference than before (duh).

Ran it from download directory and registry entry removed with Winamp in same location: It found Winamp w/o showing a dialog and ran fine.

Ran it from download directory, registry key removed, renamed Winamp directory: I then got the dialog that it couldn't find it and I told it where it was. Seemed to run fine after that.

I did clear the Winamp install path from the tool's INI file each time.

So seems like the various detection methods are working.

I've put everything back to normal.
Thanks for verifying that anything works like like it should.
Old 9th August 2014, 01:15   #659
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released Build 3991 as new final version on my website.

The only changes are Polish and PortugueseBR language file updates and some general minor tweaks.
Old 9th August 2014, 15:52   #660
Aminifu
Forum King

Build 3991 doesn't detect the Winamp backup path directory. Otherwise, it is all good.

Old 9th August 2014, 16:02   #661
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Build 3991 doesn't detect the Winamp backup path directory. Otherwise, it is all good.
Edit: Yeah, i forgot to include it. Uploaded 3992 as new final. Thanks.
Old 12th August 2014, 23:57   #662
MarkRH

Just tried build 3992. Seems ok. FYI, the unknown visualization that's being listed in my info now is "Plane9 v2.0". It's an installation option for Winamp from Plane9: http://www.plane9.com

Looks like the .DLL has no version information even when looking at the Windows' properties for it.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:47   #663
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Logged the info about that vis plugin.

Thanks for confirmation that all is still working fine for you.
Old 18th August 2014, 20:14   #664
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
Looks like the .DLL has no version information even when looking at the Windows' properties for it.
most 3rd party plug-ins never had that support added as Winamp didn't natively have it and we were all focused on saving bytes and stuff (and it didn't matter much when the information was able to be reported within Winamp anyway).
Old 19th August 2014, 16:13   #665
Aminifu
Forum King

Version info is usually buried somewhere in the code, whether it's provided in the file headers or not. Many development teams (large and small) make it harder than it should be for the average user to access this info. That seems counterproductive since the appropriate mix of versions of things is key to the smooth operation of apps designed for the Windows OS.

Version tracking is essential during code development. Does putting version info and release dates in file headers really add that much to the size of the final product or entail that much extra work? This industry-wide practice of not making version info easy to access only benefits those who are paid for providing support, imo.

Computing is now mainstream. Users just want things to work. The day is coming when users will demand that apps (and OSes) self-report when incompatible versions of things are being used. I enjoy maintaining the apps I use and appreciate utilities like the Info Tool, but I know I'm part of a shrinking minority.

Old 19th August 2014, 16:35   #666
DrO

putting details in the source files wasn't an issue, it was more of actually having resource sections added and keeping all of that up to date. for example with some of my plug-ins, adding the version resource would increase the size of the final dll by 10% (it drops the larger the plug-in gets to then become negligible).

and it was for the benefit of improving reporting that version information was explicitly added to any of the native plug-ins included as it does then help with some of the support points as you've mentioned.

but when Winamp wasn't natively doing it for so long, it was just never adopted by 3rd parties (myself included as i always wanted to make the plug-in dlls as small as possible just because of some weird fascination on my part).

and like you note, things are just wanted to work which is one of the reasons why plug-ins are not seen as being the right way to go and that features should be done natively (even if it is actually done as a plug-in in the native implementation), all of which comes from the app-centric mobile world where you just install something and that's it, no having to traipse off and find a karaoke plug-in or anything else weird and wonderful.
Old 19th August 2014, 17:40   #667
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
... it was more of actually having resource sections added and keeping all of that up to date. for example with some of my plug-ins, adding the version resource would increase the size of the final dll by 10% (it drops the larger the plug-in gets to then become negligible).
From my side of the fence, it's easy to misjudge the true impact of things.

Quote:
... (myself included as i always wanted to make the plug-in dlls as small as possible just because of some weird fascination on my part).
Not weird, code should be as small as possible, imo. Too bad that seems to no longer be a practical goal to strive for considering the way most apps are now being written (or compiled).

Quote:
... or anything else weird and wonderful.
A lot of the weird and wonderful are niche items (of no use to the majority) and would overburden the native app. Alas, there are no easy answers.

Old 20th November 2014, 20:43   #668
DrO

not 100% sure as i've not directly tried myself - will have to do so later - but i don't think the info tool is correctly distinguishing between Windows 8.0 and 8.1 (based on a user report we received). it probably just needs updating of the winver.nsh (or something like that) to the patched version
Old 21st November 2014, 03:15   #669
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Right you are, the WinVer.nsh is outdated (The Unicode fork is already old).

I will fix it soon, thanks.

[Edit]

I've directly upgraded to NSIS v3.0Beta, I haven't tested it yet, so here is a Beta build for now:

http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/141..._Info_Tool.exe

This should fix the Windows 8+ detection issues.
Old 22nd November 2014, 15:51   #670
DrO

seems to be fine from what i've tested. though the prior build 3992 seems to report things ok as well so not sure what was going on (cannot check the user report at the moment).

though i've now found that our in-Winamp detection (primarily with the crash reporter) on 8.1 is broken (it only reports it as 8.0 due to deprecation of the OS API used), so that's something else i need to fix for 6.x.
Old 25th November 2014, 02:32   #671
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nevertheless, the WinVer.nsh from the Unicode fork was outdated, so this should be more safe.

Just released 4.6.2 based on NSIS 3.x.
Old 1st December 2014, 03:24   #672
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Released Build 3998 as new final.

I've removed the option to add the current date at the end of the file name for the reports.

This option was already the default option and creating reports without dates makes not much sense.

Removing the code for this makes the script more easy to maintain.
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:51   #673
MarkRH

Hey,

Just noticed and tested out 4.6.2 build 3998. My output is here: http://www.markheadrick.com/winamp-info.shtml

I guess I was one of those that told it not to append the date LOL. So, now I have to rename the file so my website will see it since it's doing a SSI file include. Not that big a deal though. I am guessing that none of the CSS stuff changed.
Old 3rd December 2014, 23:15   #674
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Sorry for the trouble, but it makes things much more easy for me.
Old 15th December 2014, 14:33   #675
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released v4.6.3 that adds naming support for a lot of additional 3rd party input plug-ins.
Old 8th January 2015, 02:22   #676
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I found that if the application is being actively blocked by a third-party firewall (in my case, Sygate Personal Firewall) the application seems to hang indefinitely.

My firewall keeps a hash of every exe and dll and blocks any new or changed executables or executables with changed loaded modules automatically. Sometimes applications refuse to behave and block me from seeing the notification message so I don't know the cause until I force kill the application. It also won't show any notifications if I have it blocking all network traffic, even with new applications, which was what I was doing at the time as I was testing a simple TCP/IP wrapper framework in one of my plugins currently under development.

It might be a good idea to either crank-down hard on the network connection timeout (something to like less than a 3 second timeout) or display a notification message to the user on both the first run of, and a new version of, the application, including what it's doing online and why, or at least show a message while the application is trying to connect.

Otherwise, it seems to work.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 18:23   #677
Aminifu
Forum King

For now, you can select Preferences - General Settings and disable the automatic checks for Winamp updates, Winamp Backup Tool updates, and Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack updates. Then the tool has no reason to go online unless you manually ask it to check for updates for itself.

Old 9th January 2015, 09:58   #678
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
I found that if the application is being actively blocked by a third-party firewall (in my case, Sygate Personal Firewall) the application seems to hang indefinitely.

My firewall keeps a hash of every exe and dll and blocks any new or changed executables or executables with changed loaded modules automatically. Sometimes applications refuse to behave and block me from seeing the notification message so I don't know the cause until I force kill the application. It also won't show any notifications if I have it blocking all network traffic, even with new applications, which was what I was doing at the time as I was testing a simple TCP/IP wrapper framework in one of my plugins currently under development.

It might be a good idea to either crank-down hard on the network connection timeout (something to like less than a 3 second timeout) or display a notification message to the user on both the first run of, and a new version of, the application, including what it's doing online and why, or at least show a message while the application is trying to connect.

Otherwise, it seems to work.
I already implemented changes, if no port is open, all checks are disabled in general.

I cannot reproduce the issue, I tried it with your port blocking software as well as with lots of other firewalls, Pawel wasn't able to reproduce the issue either.

So there is nothing I can do about, all you can do is disabling the update checks in general (like suggested above) and see if this fixes your issue.
Old 12th January 2015, 05:18   #679
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released a 4.6.4 minor update which mainly adds naming support for more 3rd party plug-ins.
Old 12th January 2015, 09:49   #680
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Replaced by 4.6.5 Final

Here is a 4.6.5 Beta 4 release:
*LINK REMOVED*

Quote:
Winamp Info Tool 4.6.5 Beta 4:

- [GUI] made DirectX report button grayed out, if zip compression was disabled
- [HTML/TXT Generator] made that the registry uninstall path isn't shown in double quotation marks

Winamp Info Tool 4.6.5 Beta 3:

- [HTML/TXT Generator] added info about the Winamp uninstall path to the reports
- [HTML/TXT Generator] improved error handling, if the zip file is currently open in an external program like 7-Zip or WinRar
- [HTML/TXT Generator] fixed incorrect file closing (4.6.5 Beta 2 specific)

Winamp Info Tool 4.6.5 Beta 2:

- added an option to disable the creation of a DirectX diagnostic report
- localized the file name of the DirectX report to fit with the rest of the reports

Winamp Info Tool 4.6.5 Beta:

- [HTML/TXT Generator] added ability to add a dxdiag report to the zip archive
Note:

This will be optional later. If you have zip compression enabled for HTML and/or TXT reports, it will add a dxdiag file to the archive.

Would be nice to get some feedback, if all is working.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
html report, installed winamp version, plugin list, txt report, winamp build number, winamp info report