Old 7th April 2011, 07:21   #1
lee9

Replay Gain Preamp adjusts volume for ALL files

I noticed this with Winamp Lite v5.61, on two completely different computers. When changing the Replay Gain volume setting called "Replay Gain Preamp", Winamp changes the volume setting for *all* files. It's supposed to only change the volume for files with Replay Gain data. There is an identical setting in Foobar2000, and indeed it only changes the volume for files with Replay Gain data.

This is an important setting, because Replay Gain normalizes at a low volume. It's important that there's a way in the software to turn the volume back up.

Thank you!!!!
lee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 08:14   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i am noticing this as well.

winamp by default will play things at -6db if no RG tags are found (but RG is otherwise "on"). the problem is that -6db is applied to EVERYTHING including incoming net streams without RG (as is common), not just local files.

similarly, i turned up the pre-amp to +6db on a winamp/sc dsp combo, and the resulting outgoing stream, ie. what i broadcast, got louder.

i think thats actually very useful in that context, but basically whats called for here is to address the issue in the above post, and to differentiate between where/what RG is applied to.

local files are one thing, incoming net streams another, and outgoing netstreams another, (outgoing could be based on local soundcard input or local files, and i think on the fly RG can be applied to soundcard input via sctrans).

i'm not saying i know exactly how or what should be done, but right now its definitely a bit too broad, and the first post is def not desirable behavior.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 04:29   #3
lee9

Thanks for confirming it, Sinatra. RG is a FANTASTIC idea, but as of now, it's not implemented properly in Winamp. It's currently useful only if every file you play contains the RG metada.

I've been making the switch to ogg files, so I have a mix of mp3s and ogg. My only option now if I turn RG on is to turn my speakers way up. This is not desireable because 1.) it's unnecessary power usage 2.), I don't want to burn out my speakers, and 3.) it's too loud for a non-Winamp sound. So unfortunately RG stays "off". I can't wait until it's working, and then I'll have the perfect combination ogg files, played perfectly on Winamp!
lee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 04:51   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

ogg doesn't do RG?

--
Old 10th October 2011, 10:10   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi lee9,

Are you saying you want more than the current option of being able to set the
db gain level as desired for supported files without RG metadata? Or you want
the default to be 0.0db (do nothing for supported files without RG metadata)?

Seems to me you have all the control you need. It's not automatic, but does it
need to be? I prefer the option of being able to do things my way over being
given a fixed set of choices. The current implementation is a feature choice, not
a bug, imo. Being different than other apps (providing more choices) is why I use
Winamp.

I suggest you write a statement of what you want RG to do and post it in the
wishlist section of the forum.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 20:15   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

lee does need to explain more, but winamps implementation is missing the critical ability to "smartly" choose between track and album RG, based on upcoming playlist.

squeezebox server does this, has for years. also smartly crossfades. winamp needs to as well.

--
Old 11th October 2011, 00:07   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

I prefer all tracks in a playlist (whether they come from the same album or not) to have
close to the same level, so I usually use track RG. Unless tracks from the same album are
grouped together, using album RG may allow undesirable level changes from track to
track. It involves more work, but I like that Winamp lets me build my playlists the way
I want and choose RG accordingly.

I can see where "smart choice" would be nice to have on occasion. So having an option
to turn a feature like this on and off would be nice to have. You should add this to the
wishlist, the devs may listen to you.

Not sure what you mean by "smartly crossfades".

Last edited by Aminifu; 11th October 2011 at 01:18.
Old 11th October 2011, 01:32   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

i asked for it already. i doubt they will do it, if ever. but they absolutely should.

the way it works, is that track is always used, UNLESS the playlist has 2 or more album tracks in sequential track order coming up, (and then including the last album track in the playlist). if it does, it then uses album. its all automatic, as it should be. "smart" is just a third choice, you can still for track or album, (or off).

if you listen to random mix a lot, but occassionally play albums as well, you need smart RG. its a pita to have to manually change RG playback, and it shouldn't be necessary.

smart cross fading is similar. you have crossfading on, but it runs off, if it senses an album played back in sequential track order.

this is necessary to listen to many albums, where level differences are intended and track overlaps are not. think dark side of the moon.

--
Old 11th October 2011, 06:42   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post

smart cross fading is similar. you have crossfading on, but it runs off, if it senses an album played back in sequential track order.

this is necessary to listen to many albums, where level differences are intended and track overlaps are not. think dark side of the moon.
That also sounds pretty cool. I'm a big fan of trying to experience music the way the
artist intended, at least once. It seems more people prefer gap-less or overlaps all
the time. As a radio DJ years ago and an occasional party DJ now, I'm amazed by the
number of people who hear without really listening to music.

I'm also not above a little re-engineering from time to time.

As users, all we can do is occasionally bump such feature requests back to the top of
the wishlist and hope they get picked up. Keep Hope Alive.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports