Old 16th June 2011, 11:18   #1
HiAmplitude

Replay Gain button / improvement on main skin

Would be great to have a replay gain (rg) button right on the main skin instead of only finding it through preferences->playback->replay gain.
Main feature of the new button (space for it seems available) would be to switch between rg sources track or album: This would make it very comfortable to adapt to the right loudness when playing a whole album or listening randomly thru a versatile playlist.
Further improvement (as a wish for the winamp fairy ) would be if the rg source would be chosen automatically depending whether all tracks in the playlist have the same album tag or not.
Further or alternate function of the rg button could be direct access to preferences->playback->replay gain.
And finally to complete the bunch of ideas: Other users might wish to have more and other buttons on their skin. Probably it would be great to have something like in many other applications (f.e. MS office) to adjust which function buttons should be shown or not. I guess most users still have some empty space between Next Track and Open File(s) button to place their most wanted winamp functions.

Thanks for your consideration
HiAmplitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:16   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i've mentioned the SBS feature "smartgain" on here several times:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....ight=smartgain

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....ght=smart+gain

basically, you have logic analyze the playlist que, and pick trackgain UNLESS an album in sequential track order is cued up.

the idea some have put forth, that you can achieve this by picking track in winamp, and only having album tags for those things you want to hear as albums, is bizarre and nonsensical. the avg RG user will want and should have both types of tags first of all, and secondly i have lots of albums that i like to hear BOTH ways, meaning as albums, and as participants in random mixes.

such a logic is also useful for crossfading. basically the crossfader if set "on" would always be on to whatever seconds amount it was set to, UNLESS an album was cued up in sequential track order, and then in that case the crossfader would be temporarily deactivated.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 13:34   #3
HiAmplitude

Thanks to ole blue eyes

Thank you for taking the time to explain this once and for all.
So winamp is even smarter than I anticipated by using album gain for album replay and track gain for random play automatically. - I haven't found this described neither in help nor in forum.
By now I wonder what the function 'preferred rg source' is for anyway when winamp does it automatically. - Okay, there might be folks who play whole albums one after another in their playlist. Maybe winamp could even get smarter by automatic detection of that as well.
-> Less preferences, less confusions, more time for ole blue eyes
Old 25th June 2011, 19:21   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAmplitude View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain this once and for all.
So winamp is even smarter than I anticipated by using album gain for album replay and track gain for random play automatically. - I haven't found this described neither in help nor in forum.
you misunderstand... winamp doesn't do this automatically. like you, i wish it would, and i cite other software that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiAmplitude View Post
By now I wonder what the function 'preferred rg source' is for anyway when winamp does it automatically. - Okay, there might be folks who play whole albums one after another in their playlist. Maybe winamp could even get smarter by automatic detection of that as well.
-> Less preferences, less confusions, more time for ole blue eyes
some people like to force one RG type over another, even if there is auto detection, (which in winamp, there isn't).

--
Old 27th June 2011, 12:04   #5
HiAmplitude

Is it on the wishlist then?

Maybe a word from a senior member would help to further improve winamp or could inspire a plugin engineer to help with this matter.
As it seems many people don't get the idea of replay gain anyway by confusing it with normalization or whatever, it would be helpful not to confuse them even more when fumbling with preferences.
Resuming:
Default should be smart automatic detection if track or album gain should be taken (depending on active playlist, see above)
User might switch to turn automatic detection off by either:
- always use track gain
- always use album gain
- always using preset general gain
- don't use replay gain at all.
This to name a few common sense options imo , which would best fit in an additional button (similar to the 'repeat' button).

Great to know that several other audio players have that more or less, so it should be easily adapted by winamp - still the greatest media player around!
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:25   #6
BeefJerky

BUMP! Smart gain is something that really needs to be implemented in Winamp!
BeefJerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:26   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

its also worth noting that SBS is open source, so the code for how they achieved "smartgain" could be seen, if not directly ported. i see it as only a general guide tho, b/c i think winamp should improve on their implementation to take sequential and ascending track order into account, which i'm not sure SBS does.

--
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:41   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
its also worth noting that SBS is open source, so the code for how they achieved "smartgain" could be seen, if not directly ported.
that wouldn't be possible since it's released under the GPL (LGPL can be used in Winamp but not GPL). just wanted to clarify that point if this was even to be considered (i cannot comment about this side of things since i've no interest in it).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:08   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

whats not possible DrO? i said it "could be seen" and it can, right?

i also said "if not directly ported" indicating it can't be ported, right?

just being nitpicky. tbh, i meant it couldn't be ported b/c its in perl, but i didn't say that!

anyway, i would think that the ideas one could see in an actual implementation would be at the very least instructive, to someone looking to improve winamp code.

--
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:10   #10
DrO

i think even just looking could be counted as a GPL violation - is just generally safer not to look at / do anything near GPL code i think so there's no chance of come back

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
button, replay gain, rg setting, skin, wishlist