Old 13th September 2011, 01:37   #1
StuffBreaker

Ratings

Hi guys, i spent my time listening all my music and rating all the songs.

Now, when i opened Winamp, i got the fabulous surprise that winamp deleted my ratings of many albums .

I don't moved any file or folder, or changed from C:\ to D:\, nothing!.

I installed weeks ago a plugin that's supposed to save all rates in a file, the plugin doesn't have a config dialog or something, so i don't know where the file is. ( ID3 Rating Exporter )

I need help to know what is happening, why all my ratings are disappearing mysteriously.

Thanks.
StuffBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 08:25   #2
DrO

if you're using the currently available version of Winamp then you don't need that plug-in as there's a native option for saving the ratings into the files via preferences -> media library -> Advanced Library Preferences -> check 'Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)'.

so enabling that option and removing the other plug-in is the first step.

you'll then need to go through all files you've got and re-rate them to force the rating into the file (checking that option won't fo that by design).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 17:24   #3
StuffBreaker

Thanks buddy, it's not the last version actually, as i can see...

That option is missing, gotta update then.
StuffBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 20:54   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i would suggest that it would be wise to change the default to "On" for new installs at least, b/c i don't see the harm in it, (ratings can easily be removed if not desired) while i do see pretty frequent postings like this where users are upset/irate/etc that they lost all their ratings, b/c of the infamous dead ML issue, or user error, or what have you.

my thought in suggesting this is to just save Egg and the devs some grief b/c until this is default, this will keep happening. perhaps existing users could get a single one time prompt to consider updating the pref to "on" as well, since the ability to do so is pretty under the radar imo. also, a function like "apply all ML ratings to files tags" on right click in ML would also be desireable, and make the saving to file feature more obvious/well known.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 08:54   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i would suggest that it would be wise to change the default to "On" for new installs at least
the default was set as off on purpose and for the time being that's how it's going to remain. and the reason behind is to fit with the general tag handling ethos of not doing things to the tags unless people agree for Winamp to do it. i know you like your ratings but this was decided as the best way to do things especially when most of the dev team don't care about rating files.

-daz
Old 14th September 2011, 19:03   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the default was set as off on purpose and for the time being that's how it's going to remain. and the reason behind is to fit with the general tag handling ethos of not doing things to the tags unless people agree for Winamp to do it. i know you like your ratings but this was decided as the best way to do things especially when most of the dev team don't care about rating files.

-daz
i seem to have touched a nerve but i'm not sure why, def was not my intent. i hope i can state my case without it being taken confrontationally, b/c my only intent is to help.

let me start by saying, this is not for me. i know to enable this where i want the ability, so no big deal for me. my intent however is to help you devs avoid angry reactions, as well as help regular users remain happy and protected from loss.

the "main" problem i see with your ethos argument, (no pun intended), is that winamp is not bulletproof. many users have come on here, irate, that winamp has lost all their thousands of ratings AND other stats, b/c of any given issue.

now, while it is true that as of recently, you can save ratings, and use the winamp backup tool, MOST people aren't aware of either, and only find out AFTER the damage is done, when they come looking for help. it seems to me, that applying a rating in the ML is exactly the same as applying a tag edit from the user POV, why wouldn't they expect that winamp is writing that info to the tag?

i have no beef with a user opting out, but given the DB problems and just the general expectation that ML edits are written to tags, (like RG, artist edits, etc), and given the fact that one can very easily remove ratings from tags AFTER the fact, it just seems to me that there is no downside to making it opt out, while there is a very tangible downside to being opt-in, that again we see often in the forums in the form of angry, disappointed, frustrated users.

again, i'm just trying to save the devs and the users some unnecessary grief, nothing more.

as to whether the devs are interested or not, you'd know better than i, but i have to say that that strikes me as besides the point. seems to me the devs should be interested in providing the best possible exp for their users, and by in large, i absolutely believe that to be the case.

now don't get mad at me DrO! i'm just a loyal user and fan with an opinion, nothing more!

still love winamp!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 08:23   #7
DrO

it hasn't hit a nerve, just didn't see much point in making a long response when it's been decided as a no.

yes i fully understand your points and not having a ml which is flaky for some users would nullify the argument to have it enabled by default, but too often we've seen more complaints when things starting messing with people's files than the other way round.

from a support aspect it was felt that just leaving things as is and saying how to enable it is the safer option (especially when id3v2.x tag writing doesn't preserve all tags - which Egg has been fixing up).

maybe it will be reconsidered but for the time being it's a default off option. oh and one thing which was considered was to show a prompt on first time rating but time ran out to implement it though that would probably be the better option to come back to later on.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support