Old 9th December 2011, 16:51   #1
thewonkits

Winamp lags when beginning playback of a song

For the first two seconds or so of playing a song, Winamp seems to be doing something that is so ungodly resource heavy it lags my entire computer. Games stutter, mouse gets stuck, and Winamp itself becomes a shining example of struggle in this universe. Honestly, I would show this to my kids to demonstrate to them just what hard work really is, as by appearances, Winamp appears to be working harder than anything in the history of the universe ever.
God forbid I attempt to skip through multiple songs quickly, by tapping the "next in playlist" key, as Winamp will take minutes to finally be responsive again. In earlier versions of Winamp nothing like this ever occurred. I could tap the skip key as fast as my heart contented and it would have no hangups.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHz
Sound: VIA Vinyl HD audio codec VT1708S
Mobo: ASUS M4A79XTD-EVO
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT (Evga card)

More information:
DxDiag.txt

This copy of Winamp is a fresh install, no third party plugins/anything, I've changed the priority, I've checked the "wait 5 seconds to track" option, nothing has worked so far.
I've done quite a lot of research on this issue and none of the other forum topics about this have listed a solution which has worked for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this problem makes listening to music while doing things virtually impossible, which is just about the only time I listen to music. I'm pretty bummed about this, as Winamp is still hands down my favorite media player and I'd hate to have one little issue make such a fantastic piece of software unusable.

Thanks
thewonkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 12:58   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi thewonkits,

What operating system? How much RAM installed? Are you using the latest driver for your audio codec? Are you overclocking anything? Use the Windows resource monitor to see which processes are spiking.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 13:31   #3
thewonkits

64-bit Windows 7
4GB of DDR3 RAM
I am using the latest drivers.
Not overclocked.

The spiking processes are Winamp.exe and VDeck.exe (which is the process for my soundcard's utility/drivers)

I acknowledge that it could be a conflict between Winamp and my Soundcard, but I used previous versions of Winamp on this soundcard with no trouble, so it has to be a Winamp update causing this. Not to mention many people with different soundcards than mine also have this same problem. It seems like something the Winamp devs should fix.

Thanks for the reply, Aminifu
Old 11th December 2011, 23:48   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonkits View Post
I acknowledge that it could be a conflict between Winamp and my Soundcard, but I used previous versions of Winamp on this soundcard with no trouble, so it has to be a Winamp update causing this.
That sucks! I assume you tried a 'clean uninstall' and re-install. I guess you will have to return to the last version that worked for you, until this is fixed. You need to supply all the info requested by the devs so that they can try to find the exact cause. Look at the sticky for instructions.

http://www.oldversion.com/Winamp.html
Old 12th December 2011, 00:21   #5
thewonkits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
That sucks! I assume you tried a 'clean uninstall' and re-install. I guess you will have to return to the last version that worked for you, until this is fixed. You need to supply all the info requested by the devs so that they can try to find the exact cause. Look at the sticky for instructions.

http://www.oldversion.com/Winamp.html
I did try a clean install.
The last version that works is 5.541.

I took the liberty of going through a bunch of the old versions and I discovered that it's the 5.6 update that causes the issue. So for you Winamp devs reading this, something changed in 5.6 is the cause.

No plugins other than what are included with Winamp, you can see my specs in the first post, etc. etc. Good luck with finding a solution. Meanwhile, 5.541 works great.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:58   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Did you have to go back so far? There are 9 versions (not counting betas) between 5.541 and 5.60. You're missing out on a lot of fixes, improvements, and updates. Did you used the link I provided in my last post for the old versions? I'm sorry I did not check the full list in that link. It does not provide links to these 9 versions.

The FileHippo link below does link to them (right side of page).

http://www.filehippo.com/download_winamp/
Old 12th December 2011, 16:22   #7
thewonkits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Did you have to go back so far? There are 9 versions (not counting betas) between 5.541 and 5.60. You're missing out on a lot of fixes, improvements, and updates. Did you used the link I provided in my last post for the old versions? I'm sorry I did not check the full list in that link. It does not provide links to these 9 versions.

The FileHippo link below does link to them (right side of page).

http://www.filehippo.com/download_winamp/

5.55 has the issue. 5.541 remains the last version that works.
So whatever broke it is something new in 5.55, not 5.6. Sorry about that. Didn't realize my mistake until after.
Old 12th December 2011, 16:38   #8
DrO

what skin are you using? (is one of the reasons for asking a plug-ins list even when it's a clean install)

do the files you're playing have artwork in them?

are the files local or on a network type device?

as what you're seeing is not normal and i only remember a very small number of people ever mentioning it.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 16:59   #9
thewonkits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
what skin are you using? (is one of the reasons for asking a plug-ins list even when it's a clean install)

do the files you're playing have artwork in them?

are the files local or on a network type device?

as what you're seeing is not normal and i only remember a very small number of people ever mentioning it.

-daz
Default skin (classic). Everything is default. No skins, no 3rd party plugins, nada.
my_plugin_list.txt

Some have artwork, some do not. They both experience the same problem.
The files are local.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support