Old 4th May 2012, 04:54   #1
Twenty-Seven

Winamp has stopped working.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and using the most recent version of Winamp.

I got an iPod nano so I installed the ml_ipod.dll plugin for better iPod support, but it turns out I'm an idiot and I clicked the wrong link and installed an outdated version. So I downloaded the up-to-date version and tried installing that, which appeared to work fine except that after I installed it, Winamp would no longer open. Whenever I tried running Winamp I got a message that says "Winamp has stopped working / A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program." So I restarted, and that didn't help. I uninstalled it completely and did a clean reinstall, and restarted, and I still get the same error message when I try to start Winamp.

I am really pissed off right now so if anyone could help me I would be eternally grateful. I'm extremely close to switching to a different media player.
Twenty-Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 07:13   #2
Rocker

Clean Install Instructions

this is the cleanest solution.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 08:09   #3
Galway girl

Hey! someone else with problem I have, even though with a different application. Check my link "Galway Girl" Still no joy. Installed a different lyrics program (win 7 compatible) same problems continuing. I cannot believe that it is a lyrics program causing problem. Others are experiencing same problem.
Galway girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 09:08   #4
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

you're both using 3rd party plug-ins and in your case Galway girl it has already been suggested to do a clean install / disable the 3rd party plug-ins but you're refusing to do that so and is the only way to validate if it is a core Winamp issue or if it is down to using unsupported 3rd party plug-ins.

Twenty-Seven: ml_ipod is a 3rd party plug-in which pretty much is no longer under development and is known to have issues with recent versions of Windows. if the native iPod support doesn't suit / work with your iPod then there's not too much to do and you would probably need to use an alternative software to be able to go to a non-iTunes setup.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 20:33   #5
Galway girl

True, I have not recently tried a clean install, although I have many times when I first installed the latest version of winamp on my win 7 system. But can't remember if I installed the plug in then also. Will do so today. However, as mentioned Winamp is useless to me without a lyrics plug in that allows me to create my own lyrics, and I have now changed to an updated lyrics plug in that claims to be win 7 and winamp compatible and continues to be supported. I will do a clean install on my desktop and see what happens! Winamp is a brilliant program and I would hate to change to something else but will be forced to if I can't find a solution to my problem.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:50   #6
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

it doesn't necessarily have to be a complete clean install but for anyone to take a bug report serious, it generally needs to be done without 3rd party plug-ins present e.g. anything which is not officially shipped is renamed from .dll to .off or just removed from the plugins folder, as there's pretty much nothing which can be done if they are at fault / incompatible with newer Winamp &/or OS versions.

-daz
Old 7th May 2012, 00:07   #7
Galway girl

Did a clean install on desktop - and then re-installed the new lyrics plug-in MiniLyrics as mentioned previously. Winamp stopped once on me so far but I haven't used it much with desktop. Tried just removing the winlyrics plug-in on laptop, and re-installed MiniLyrics only. Although Winamp didn't stop on me during a 3 hour gig, it jumped around a few time in some songs. The music pauses and then re-starts. The lyrics jump around trying to follow the the timing. Have decided to install latest winamp on my old XP computer and see what happens there. It is currently running Winamp 5.61. That should at least indicate whether it's a win7/ winamp 5.623 issue or whether it is just a winamp 5.623 issue. Winamp 5.621 and old lyrics plugin worked fine before so we will see if there is any change. Checked all plugins - none have .off extension.
Old 9th May 2012, 00:25   #8
Galway girl

Okay, tried Winamp 5.623 with Minilyrics on my XP 32 bit laptop during a 4 hour gig. Worked perfectly - no stopping no pauses, rewinds and/or restarts. Both Winamp and Minilyrics are both up to date programs claiming to be Windows 7 64bit compatible, but obviously one or the other or both are not. Minilyrics also claims to be compatible with Winamp and other media programs.

When preparing material to go on to my XP computer, Winamp continually stopped. It seems that if you make quick changes in Winamp running it on 64 bit Win 7 it can't keep up. Other than that "stopping" is normally intermittent and as long as you do lots of "saves" we can live with it unless it stops in the middle of a song. Which has happened once or twice. However the problem of the music jumping around is not acceptable. So it seems I will have to continue to use my old XP laptop until such time as these problems are resolved. As I know many muso's use Winamp I am sure the probem will come up again in this forum. I only hope a solution is forthcoming before the laptop packs it in. Thanks for your help to date.
Old 9th May 2012, 01:15   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galway girl View Post
... So it seems I will have to continue to use my old XP laptop until such time as these problems are resolved. ...
I suggested this course of action (as a temporary work-around) over a week ago.

Since WA 5.623 and the plug-in works on XP, there may be a configuration error or other plug-in problem on your Win 7 system.

Why wont you submit the "One for Nunz" report of your Win 7 system (which allows people here to better be able to help you) which was requested and you said you have? Or a current one since you have made changes since then.

If you don't trust us to see the report or can't be bothered to submit it, then maybe you should seek private help.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 09:11   #10
Galway girl

The XP computer I am using is a number of years old, infact it has a Vista O/S basic and I had it converted back to XP. I don't know how reliable it will be because of this and have only ever used it as a back up computer at gigs. I was reluctant to use it as the main computer. However I have for the time being.

As for the report you want. Yes I do have one but I did it on my desktop -if you are looking for a configuration problem I will need to do it on the laptop because I don't play music for extended periods through Winamp on my desktop. I will do so tomorrow and send it to you, and hope it comes up with something.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:31   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Galway girl,

The "One for Nunz" report needs to be run on the system you will be, or want to be, using. The one you say isn't working right. Otherwise it's pointless.

The report is not for me alone. It's information so that people on this forum who know how WA works can try to help you.

I said "a configuration error or other plug-in problem". Sometimes plug-ins can conflict with each other or a required Winamp installation option (associated with what you need) was not chosen. The report provides this info.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Old 10th May 2012, 02:02   #12
Galway girl

Hi here is my "One for Nunz" report from my Win 7 gig computer. Hope it comes up with some answers. If so would like to submit one for my desktop also which has the "stopping" problem - at least.
If this comes through without attachment it is because I am trying to work out how to do it, I have converted it to a zip file. Read the instructions on how to do it but must be doing something wrong. Help!!
Old 13th May 2012, 22:57   #13
Galway girl

Just been told other muso's using Winamp for backing music are buying up all old XP computers and/or having their Win 7's converted back to XP. Did my "One for Nunz" attachment go through or not?
Old 13th May 2012, 23:39   #14
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

there is no attachment on your prior post - make sure not to do a 'preview' after doing an upload and before clicking submit post.

and if people are going back to XP, then that's never going to help getting anything fixed if it is a core Winamp issue, i still would prefer you actually testing things without however many lyrics plug-ins installed as under normal operation i'm not able to replicate any of the issues you and "other muso's" are having.

-daz
Old 14th May 2012, 07:28   #15
Galway girl

I agree even though I bought a refurbished back up XP computer today I want my new Win 7 62 bit to work. I don't know why I can't send the Nunz attachment through but as I have now had a few champerstoday will try again tomorrow. If it doesn't come through please let me know asap because I would like to get to the bottom of this issue before Win 8 hits the streets, at least! Thank you for your help
Old 15th May 2012, 06:11   #16
Galway girl

Here I go again trying to send the plug in list. Problem is I can't see if it is attached or not.
Have spent the day trying to work out what the problem is. Interestingly, I had the same hiccups with my new XP computer. Settings were same on all computers. Checked that my audio interfaces were 64 bit compatible drivers - Yes they are! But when I use the computer's generic sound system I don't have a problem. Have increased the buffer size up 600 and seems to be a lot better. Tomorrow's gig will tell if anything has improved. Sta
Old 16th May 2012, 09:16   #17
Galway girl

Good news. Don't know whether my plug in list came through but only one hiccup today with one song. Maybe the buffer between Winamp and my audio device is the problem. We will see!!!!!!
Old 19th May 2012, 01:02   #18
Galway girl

Still having problems but tend to think now it could be a buffer problem have increased buffer size considerably now to match that of my audio devices so we will see what happens. Won't have a chance to test it properly for a couple of weeks due to hols but will let you know if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't I will invest in another audio device. Still have Winamp is stopping problem if I make too many quick instructions.
Thanks for you help.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:59   #19
Galway girl

Have stopped using audio interfaces - no skipping etc but the "stopping" problem continues, on both the new XP and the Win 7 computers. All okay if Winamp teated with kid gloves and no fast instructions or trying to stop a song or change to another whilst one is playing.
Have not heard from you about problems uploading my One for Nunz report. Ready to give up. Am still trying to find a workable alternative to Winamp. Karafun does okay but does not have the layout I prefer. Oh Well!
Old 17th April 2013, 23:33   #20
pcup2date

I think I maybe know were the issue is

There's an issue with seeking when playing mp3 files...

So I changed everything... All plugins... Won't help...

Then I looked it over again: One of my plugins was always off : Mad plugin (highquality audio)
When I switched off the nullsoft mp3 plugin, and put on the mad plugin...

IT WORKS BETTER (still not perfect, but almost no hangs)

Guys this bug is here a long time, cuz I tried loads of versions..
Look it up when something is changed in the nullsoft mpeg audiodecoder (4.98)
Or in the hooking modules from winamp ?

And last but not least, I think it can have something to do with pre-loading files,
Because it only happens when the file is still loading

Good lucks
pcup2date is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 23:43   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcup2date View Post
There's an issue with seeking when playing mp3 files...

Guys this bug is here a long time, cuz I tried loads of versions..
Look it up when something is changed in the nullsoft mpeg audiodecoder (4.98)
I'm running the current beta version and have no problem with seeking while playing mp3s.

The version of in_mp3.dll in the beta is 4.992.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=356750

I can't use the mad plug-in because it doesn't support reading my embedded album art.

Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
error, ipod support, reinstall, stopped working, won't start