Old 24th July 2012, 17:31   #1
goodguy6

Winamp media library search not working

When I type in a search term for the the Media library, the list doesn't update automatically as it has with previous versions of Winamp. BUT, if I switch away to another category, and then back again, the search is performed. What's going on? If this can't be fixed, can I revert to an earlier version of Winamp by simply installing it over the current one (5.63)?

Equipment: IBM T-41 laptop running Win XP Pro; 1 Gb RAM; Winamp version 5.63
goodguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:43   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi goodguy6,

Take a look at the attached thread.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345873

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:56   #3
goodguy6

I looked at the suggested thread, and it is a confusing mess! After years and years of updates, it's amazing to me that issues like this still occur! Winamp seems to be constantly trading a headache for an upset stomach.

But it's still the best player around, IMHO. So, once again, anyone with any concrete ideas as to how to fix this? Can I revert to a recent previous version without uninstalling the current one?
Old 24th July 2012, 18:09   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

I was hoping you and the other user would have some configuration things in common to help solve this problem.

I would recommend a clean install (total removal, some of which has to be done manually) when replacing a newer version with an older one.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 24th July 2012, 18:11   #5
goodguy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I was hoping you and the other user would have some configuration things in common to help solve this problem.

I would recommend a clean install (total removal, some of which has to be done manually) when replacing a newer version with an older one.
P.S. I can force the search to be performed by switching away from the SmartView to "Local Media" and back again. THEN the search is performed.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:16   #6
DrO

of course that thread is confusing since no one else is able to a) replicate the issue (other than you) and b) there is no reason for the issue to have just appeared as nothing on how the search _actually_ happens was changed (and as you point out if it's able to do it when restoring the view then that proves the search does work) and clearly something is interfering with how the search is obtained (hence trying clean installs, etc to rule out it being buggy 3rd party plug-ins).

the only way to now try to get to the bottom of things is by trying either directly replicate the issue on a developer's machine (doesn't seem likely) or wait for someone on the dev team to try to create a test build which adds some debug output to things to try to guage what is and isn't actually happening (which is not going to be just a 5min thing).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 18:28   #7
goodguy6

Some additional points.

1. I tried to have a clean install of 5.63 by deleting the Winamp folder under C:/Program Files, after uninstalling 5.62. I had been having a problem with intermittent pauses in playback that may have been related to the SqrSoft plug-in. All plug-ins that I could find on the PC were uninstalled.

2. I have been using several previous versions of Winamp on this machine for years, without having the current symptom.

3. Yes, the search does work, BUT only after manually switching away from the SmartView and back again. Only then is the search actually performed. That, IMHO, means it does NOT work properly and as usual.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:32   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy6 View Post
3. Yes, the search does work, BUT only after manually switching away from the SmartView and back again. Only then is the search actually performed. That, IMHO, means it does NOT work properly and as usual.
i was not disagreeing with you on that, i was noting that the underlying search functionality _does_ work. and that something is messing up how the search query is taken and passed to it which is causing the issue. so until a test build of the library plug-in is created to try to determine the issue means there is no current solution it seems for whatever is causing it.

-daz
Old 24th July 2012, 18:45   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi goodguy6,

A clean install requires more that just deleting the program folders. The WA configuration files that are kept elsewhere need to be deleted also, as well as registry entries. Search the forum for instructions on how to do a clean install for XP.

The other user reported the same problem for his administrator account, but a user account on the same laptop does not have the problem. This has lead to the current speculation that some 3rd party service or background app is running in the admin account that is not running in the user account which may be causing the problem.

I realize you just want the issue fixed. But it can't be fixed until a reason is found for it. If you can spare the time to compare things with the other user having this problem, the cause may be found sooner rather than later.

A "One for Nunz" report will tell you what plug-ins are in your current configuration.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/14nunz.html

A beta version of a WA report tool is available to provide other info on your WA installation.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Old 24th July 2012, 19:02   #10
goodguy6

Ok. Just to be clear about the uninstall of the previous version of Winamp, I did use Winamp's uninstall utility. Does that utility NOT do the things you just described, Aminifu?

Look, I guess I can live with this by using the work-around I found: switching back and forth from one SmartView to another. I'll just have to hope the the issue is resolved in Winamp 5.64.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:13   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy6 View Post
Ok. Just to be clear about the uninstall of the previous version of Winamp, I did use Winamp's uninstall utility. Does that utility NOT do the things you just described, Aminifu?

Look, I guess I can live with this by using the work-around I found: switching back and forth from one SmartView to another. I'll just have to hope the the issue is resolved in Winamp 5.64.
I don't know what uninstall utility you are referring to. If it did not offer to delete the WA configuration files, then it probably left some stuff behind.

I also don't think people would have taken time to post clean install instructions, if they were not needed and some simpler method existed.

Old 24th July 2012, 19:14   #12
DrO

the official uninstaller isn't guaranteed to remove 3rd party plug-ins.

just blindly waiting for a fix is not going to happen, you (and the other person) are going to need to have to try out test builds _once_I_sort_one_out_ which will happen _when_ i've got the time to do it.

-daz
Old 24th July 2012, 19:56   #13
goodguy6

It's the uninstall utility that comes with Winamp! Start > All Programs > Winamp > Uninstall Winamp. If this uninstaller doesn't completely uninstall Winamp, then that's unacceptable - it needs to do that.

Once I installed the current version, I saw no evidence of previous plug-ins in any of the plug-in categories in Winamp Preferences.

As I type the letters of a search term into the box, the letters appear. When the first letter is typed, the complete list of songs appears, so the Media Library IS responding to keystrokes. The filtering just doesn't happen as subsequent letters are typed. Seems like the problem has to be with the Media Library!
Old 24th July 2012, 21:19   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

For a number of valid reasons, the relative degree of effectiveness of pc software uninstallers is well known. I think for a free app, WA's official uninstaller does a very good, but not perfect, job.

To each his own, but when I'm tracking a tricky problem, that may be configuration related, I don't want to leave anything to chance. I want to know for sure I'm starting with a clean slate.

What I find hard to accept are those people who want the future and the past at the same time. XP will soon be 4 generations old, how long is WA supposed to be backward compatible? I can't help but think the developers desire to maintain backward compatibility is keeping WA from taking more advantage of newer hardware and OS capabilities. I know everyone can't stay current with hardware and OS software, but those with old systems should at some point give up expecting new software apps to work with their old systems.

I'm not sure where you stand. At one point you seemed willing to go back a version (if it was easy to do so) and then you expressed a hope that the 'problem' is fixed going forward.

Old 31st July 2012, 20:25   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
goodguy,

winamp does uninstall itself, but it doesn't uninstall 3rd party add ons or other things, b/c often times people want to uninstall winamp, and reinstall it (or a newer ver) whilst leaving those add ons, prefs, etc, in place.

like you, and the other thread, i would like to see this issue resolved. to me, its an interesting case, and will be good to know what the cause is. but the ONLY way that will happen is if you are willing to help troubleshoot it, since only you and one other person are having the problem.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support