Old 25th July 2012, 21:46   #1
PhilTact

Convert 24 bit wav to 24 bit flac

Hello. I've been searching around the web and the forums and can't find an answer. Hopefully someone can help.

I record band practices in Reaper at 24 bit and later covert the huge wav files to flac for archival purposes. I was using winamp to batch covert the files. This works fine, but I just realized that it is turning 24 bit wav into 16 bit flac. I would like to preserve the bit depth.

How can I make Winamp convert my 24 bit wav to 24 bit flac? I can do this with mediamonkey, but the interface is horrid.

Edit: I found a way to do what I need directly in Reaper. It would still be nice if Winamp preserved the bit depth in the conversion. Possibly with an option to enable to dither and resample down to 16.

Last edited by PhilTact; 25th July 2012 at 23:43.
PhilTact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 04:59   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTact View Post
Edit: I found a way to do what I need directly in Reaper. It would still be nice if Winamp preserved the bit depth in the conversion. Possibly with an option to enable to dither and resample down to 16.
I use the flac command line tool. WA does provide options for 24 bit and/or dither for playback. I assume WA defaults to 16 bit during file conversion because many DSP plug-ins object to 24 bit. I agree it would be good if WA gave the user the option.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 09:08   #3
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

DSP's have _no_ effect on the conversion phase and it's most likely that none of the encoders are set to run at 24-bit (yes there is the option but i don't think that is associated with the encoder options purposefully but i'm not 100%).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 20:32   #4
PhilTact

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure now that I didn't just miss an option somewhere.

I'll just do my conversion directly in Reaper. Turns out it is really simple and keeps my file managing tasks to a minimum.
PhilTact is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
24 bit, covert, flac, wav