Old 18th August 2012, 14:59   #1
wallmwallm

Windows 8 RTM ... no visuals due to directx issue

It says there is no directx on install but will continue to install.
Will play music. try to start visuals...direct x problems, tries to link you to download directx unsucessfully..ask to install it...also freezing winamp window need to force close.
ugly.
wallmwallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 15:30   #2
DrO

Win8 only recently went RTM and it's not meant to be properly used for another few months so any compatibility issues (like you are seeing with Milkdrop) can then be resolved in time for when it is generally available (yes i know it's on msdn and probably being torrented but it officially appeared on msdn a few days ago and with people working on other things at the moment, it is likely to take a little while before they are able to properly test / fix any Win8 issues).

so yes there may be issues though at least under the Release and Community Previews it generally worked fine, so it is likely to be only minor 'tweaks' to get things working properly on RTM.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 23:01   #3
wallmwallm

thank daz.
wallmwallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:32   #4
P4rryH0tt3r

Has this been fixed yet? I also had the issue with DX and visualizations not working with Win8 RTM. I won't re-install Win8 until it's confirmed as working.
P4rryH0tt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:43   #5
DrO

i cannot say for certain as Milkdrop works fine in the Win8 x64 install i have and i've not seen any errors relating to DirectX (which is the same as i saw with the Release and Community previews).

so for me it works but i'm only running it in a virtual machine so that may be causing a difference (and is how i've used all of the Win8 releases up to and including RTM).

-daz
Old 30th January 2013, 15:41   #6
iSPY

Hi,

well i still have some issues with latest winamp 5.63 & Windows 8 x64

Visualizations dont display properly, they show but its like its missing something or only half way (some dont react and have solid colors).. This is by both latest milkdrop2 and advanced visualizations studio.

Its ok in windows 7 x64 though, im using nvidia 570gtx gpu is this a driver issue or WDMM 1.2 windows 8 issue?
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 13:58   #7
bradipo

Same as above... not checked other visualizations but Milkdrop is missing something.

Windows8 x64, winamp 5.63

(I'm on nVidia too, should be interesting some feedback from someone with an ATI)
bradipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 22:37   #8
dogigniter

Same issue here.. nVidia card, Windows 8 Enterprise x64, winamp 5.63. although not with Milkdrop so much. AVS is unusable unfortunately. It thing the problem is superscopes are failing to render properly, a lot of the "Winamp 5 Picks" are just black, the others you can see just the moving particles. Weird. I will try reinstalling dxruntimes again, if that helps ill post here
dogigniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 23:32   #9
DrO

AVS hasn't worked properly since Vista as it's output is based on a set of OS api which was deprecated in Vista and higher. plus it's the sub plug-ins which AVS uses which cause most of the issues. if you want to help, see if the v2.91 test builds floating around in the AVS sub-forum work on Win8 for you or not.

as for Milkdrop not working on Win8, as stated above, i cannot replicate it as i'm only using Win8 in a VM so that is probably why i'm not seeing it though i was using an nVidia card for the host OS but am on an AMD card now and it's had no effect on the VM behaviour).

so probably it is some sort of driver issue but either it only affects a small number of people (based on the number of posts / feedback about it) or just no one cares to say anything.

either way, i'm not sure what can be done about it (at least there's little i can do if i cannot replicate it) other than you've made sure to install Winamp with the required UAC / admin privileges so things can be fully installed as needed.

-daz
Old 9th February 2013, 09:28   #10
bradipo

Had not much time to research on the issue, but found that this solution worked for me:

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...83&postcount=2

although I'm not really satisfied with that, requiring the install of an extra program just to solve one problem, but maybe could give a hint to developers on what is going on.

I'm going to test Milkdrop using the cpu own graphic chipset (I'm on an i7 3770) instead of the nVidia card and report back if the problem persists.
Old 13th February 2013, 16:17   #11
iSPY

Nope it didnt fix it for me, I'll try to reinstall with windows 7 compatibility.

Btw i have UAC off and its still doing it.

Edit:
Nope no luck.. I tried various drivers and it happens with all of them.
Old 14th February 2013, 20:12   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Does the DirectX 9 web updater run on Win8?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Milkdrop requires d3dx9_31.dll to be present in the Windows\System dir

(and the fullscreen video OSD requires d3dx9_42.dll)

Also confirm if you've tried Milkdrop v2.2
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 22:27   #13
iSPY

Great thanks, this v2.2 did the trick!

btw is it safe to use this custom milkdrop or will it break it again?
http://ghostco.de/milkdrop_pack/
Old 15th February 2013, 08:53   #14
bradipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Does the DirectX 9 web updater run on Win8?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Milkdrop requires d3dx9_31.dll to be present in the Windows\System dir

(and the fullscreen video OSD requires d3dx9_42.dll)

On my setup (Win8 x64, installed as update from Win7 x64) it runs but soon closes telling there's nothing to update... not sure if it's the same for fresh installs because I had already installed the DXweb_update on the previous o.s. This weekend I'm gonna made a fresh install and will report other infos.

The two dlls are present (with many others from _24 to past _40, with a twin in the SysWow64 folder), but don't know again how is after a fresh install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Also confirm if you've tried Milkdrop v2.2
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=156839

Confirmed, reverted to 2.2 and working... so actually is the best solution for me.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports