Old 7th November 2012, 13:02   #1
Sagehorn

Can't download album covers anymore (Win 7)

Hi there

For some weeks I can't download any album art via winamp. Even the popular albums cannot be found. I read about this issue in the context of ************ etc, but not of windows.
So is it a known problem, or does it only appear on my pc? (perhaps firewall? can't imagine)
Sagehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:12   #2
DrO

the native support in Winamp was removed months back and if using an older version then it's most likely that the servers which were providing it have been finally stopped and/or access removed (though i was led to believe that was done around the time of the 5.63 release in June).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:26   #3
Sagehorn

so, there are no more attractive ways to include album art via winamp? the plug-ins are sadly (under)average and unusable.

let me get this right... until now winamp stored the album arts on their own servers? why not outsource it to amazon etc? too expansive? why can musicbrainz do it?
Old 7th November 2012, 13:37   #4
DrO

Winamp used a 3rd party provider (nothing on the Winamp servers directly) and that contract came to an end and what was provided via the Winamp UI was disabled n the 5.63 release. on older Winamp's there is little that can be done other than it will just fail and say it cannot find anything.

i don't know why it's not been brought back, etc. i am just the messenger (and i don't know why i bother at times as it just causes more grief than it's worth) and was just saying that what your seeing is expected.

and before you bring up why WAFA has support for artwork lookup and Winamp proper doesn't, i don't know why either (or really care now).
Old 7th November 2012, 13:51   #5
Sagehorn

thx for the informations
don't worry, i'm a long way from an emotional breakdown, but it's good to know.
i just realised, that i hadn't the current version of winamp. now, the download-button is actually gone.
however i also realised, that the musicip plugin is missing, too. but i can meanwhile imagine that this is no bug, too (at least i have MusicIP as standalone software..)
Old 7th November 2012, 14:00   #6
DrO

the musicip/predixis plug-in was removed years ago - around 2007 from what i remember. and thankful that happened as that thing was horrible (just like the gracenote option is as well) as it just embedded their app in a plug-in instead of actually making use of Winamp's features properly which pissed me off (why include all of the decoding libraries when Winamp was able to do that *grumble*). and then the amount of time it needed to run for... was just horrible and nasty on too many levels.

-daz
Old 8th November 2012, 01:21   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehorn View Post
let me get this right... until now winamp stored the album arts on their own servers? why not outsource it to amazon etc? too expansive? why can musicbrainz do it?
they did outsource it, to allmusic.com, and got LQ artwork as a result, (just like WMP).

use an app like mp3tag to get art, or better yet rip with EAC to get exactly the art you want.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support