Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 19th March 2013, 13:18   #1
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
5.7 Beta 2 Slow Loading With 100s of Playlists

Beta 2, Windows 7
I have approx 700 playlists.
I have noticed that when I have the playlists loaded into Winamp, there is a significant delay on start-up as opposed to when they are not loaded. I will be happy to upload my playlists for repro purposes if that will help.

Thanks
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 13:25   #2
DrO

loaded where? ml_playlists? sorry but your post is just vague.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 13:35   #3
Juanus
Major Dude

I apologize. That is normally not like me.
Yes, ml_playlists.
To be more specific.
I right click on Playlists in the left pane of the Media Library and choose Import Playlist from folder.
I navigate to the folder where I have all my playlists saved and import them.
Once they are all imported I then sort them from A-Z.
I have attached my playlists for testing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Playlists.zip (376.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 19th March 2013, 13:55   #4
DrO

so it's just the act of having them known to Winamp that is causing it to be slower to load ?

and this is new to beta 2 or just something you've noticed (so could have been like it before) ?
Old 19th March 2013, 13:58   #5
Juanus
Major Dude

This is new to Beta 2. This was not an issue with 5.63 and I didn't notice it with Beta 1. It may have been slower to load with beta 1 than it was with 5.63 but I didn't "notice" it. This was a noticeable difference from Beta 1 to Beta 2.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:06   #6
DrO

oh well, guess i'll have to find some time to see if i can replicate though there haven't been any changes to ml_playlists between beta 1 and 2.

and what sort of time increase are we talking about?

plus what library view are you re-opening Winamp to i.e. is it a ml_playlists view or something else ?
Old 19th March 2013, 14:57   #7
Juanus
Major Dude

I am seeing a pretty consistent 8 second delay from appearance to actual ability to interact with the UI.
When I do not have the playlists known to winamp in ml_playlist it is 1 second or less.
It is the same whether I am opening to the Audio view, ml_playlist view or Download view.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:14   #8
DrO

modern or classic skin ? though a 7sec increase doesn't make any sense from the code changes i'm looking at.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:15   #9
Juanus
Major Dude

Modern default Bento skin.
I will try to create a video.
Old 19th March 2013, 16:54   #10
Juanus
Major Dude

I was able to make a video... I hope that this gives a better idea.
http://youtu.be/7G9WVKaWuMg

Thanks
Juanus
Old 19th March 2013, 20:46   #11
DrO

well i can reproduce the issue but haven't determined a cause yet other than adding all of the items into the library tree is the slow part. using 3315 i get the same issue as well so might just have been a fluke it didn't show up for you until now.
Old 19th March 2013, 21:59   #12
Juanus
Major Dude

Thank you for your acknowledgement. I know this is not a show stopper, but it's nice to see you address the issue.

You are appreciated.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:01   #13
DrO

other than just being a lot if items to add to the tree, i cannot find any reason for it being slow (have even stripped it down to just ml_playlists as the only library plug-in and it's still taking ~8 seconds).
Old 19th March 2013, 22:44   #14
DrO

i've got it down to ~5sec vs ~8sec (classic skin) and ~8sec vs ~12sec (bento) to fully load with all of your playlists just from changing the api used to add the items (since the library has 3 different ways of doing it), but i think this is more just one of those things in that library isn't really designed for such large numbers of playlists in the tree.

i've some other changes to make to the ml_playlists plug-in so not sure if i'll be able to do some more work on this (already spent 3hrs i didn't really have on it) and i suppose a ~3sec decrease in loading time on my setup is better than a poke in the eye.
Old 20th March 2013, 03:07   #15
Juanus
Major Dude

DrO, Thank you for your continued work on the Winamp project. This just wouldn't be the same without you. This being beta is the only reason I brought this to the forefront because I know weirdness like this can sometimes signify other issues. Thank you for your time and efforts and I will continue "bug hunting"
Old 20th March 2013, 03:13   #16
DrO

depending on timescales, etc (as not sure when beta 3 is planned for at the moment), i may ping you with a test ml_playlists.dll to see if the speed-up is present or if it's just local to my machine once i've done a bit more work on the plug-in for other things. and i'd prefer you don't find anymore bugs (have enough "fun" looking at the crash reports that have come in from the beta builds).
Old 20th March 2013, 03:26   #17
Juanus
Major Dude

done and done... I can't promise about not finding the bugs, but so far so good.
Old 16th April 2013, 20:00   #18
Juanus
Major Dude

DrO,
In the Media Library preferences, Under Media Library > Local Media. On the options tab, there is a choice for "Do Not Load Media Library Database at Winamp Start-Up"
I am assuming that this is for people with slower machines to help winamp start faster if they have a large media library database.
I was wondering if it would make sense (or if it was even possible) to add the ml_playlists into that setting and that way, it would keep the start up of winamp fast, but still allow you to load the playlists?

Just curious
Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:35   #19
DrO

it doesn't work that way and is just for trying to delay the loading of the ml_local database but in most cases it doesn't make much of a difference because as soon as anything tries to access the library then it loads the ml_local database.

as for ml_playlists, the loading of the playlists is already on a partial delay but doing it too much leads to issues with re-selecting the last views for example.

most likely it's something dumb that i'm missing with the library's tree handling on how it deals with large numbers of items being added but at the moment, there's no time to look into it further than i've already done (and hopefully there was a bit of a noticeable improvement between 5.63 and the 5.7 beta with some of the changes that were able to be made).
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:45   #20
ujay
Forum King

Anything to do with the cloud? Can't really test myself as I never have used playlists

I'm finding other media library functions that are about 10 times slower with the cloud installed than without.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:54   #21
DrO

the cloud has no effect on loading items into the library tree, and was slow(er) with the test set of playlists juanus provided when i tried it on some older client versions. i was seeing a few seconds improvement but like i think i said earlier in this thread, the library tree was never really designed to cope with 100s of items which is probably why it's noticeably slow as it's just the adding of items into the tree that's the issue with this, otherwise it's all ok afterwards.

the library views can be slower with a cloud library due to how things are currently done (mainly stems from working out the availability on loading of the views for the cloud icon and that we're working with 2 different db files for things though there's likely to be improvements to things with builds in May according to my schedule) and is something i know needs to be optimised.

otherwise, most things should be the same or a little bit faster than before (unless a lot has happened with internal builds in the week and a bit i've been away).
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:50   #22
ujay
Forum King

Thanks daz, got it now, it's the just left hand pane we're talking, right?

I don't usually mention speed issues with betas and had kind of figured the cloud icon was the main problem. It can take a mouseover or click on the cloud icon 5 or 6 secs. to respond.

UJ
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:51   #23
DrO

yeah, the left-hand list you select the view to show.

as for a 5-6sec delay, you probably should have mentioned that earlier as that's too slow for things even with the current implementation.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:39   #24
ujay
Forum King

Hi daz,

Just taken another look at this to see what I can find for you to work with.

This is on a laptop, i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 62K files in the Library.
Cloud icons in the leftmost column.

CPU usage monitored with Task Manager.

Winamp quiet - 0%
Mouseover cloud icon - rise to exactly 25% for 5secs or so.
CPU drops back to 0%

At this point the tooltip is ready to display, but it often still requires a small reposition of the mouse pointer to get it to show.

I was wondering if this mouse repositioning was a problem, it almost seems as if any movement within the action rectangle triggers a redraw, is that normal?

Same deal if you click the icon.

UJ
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:27   #25
DrO

ah ok, 62k would explain it then. it's basically trying to work out the sources the file is known on and if you've got that many files, it's going to unfortunately take a while to work it out (and despite some caching on the tooltip text already, it's possible for it to re-query up to 3 times in a worst case since we're piggy-backing on how the listview control works).

it's something that should ideally be calculated once and then stored until we next determine something changed with the track which depending on how it's done could possibly cause a bit of pain the first time but would then speed up things afterwards (and would resolve the large library view issue as well).
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:51   #26
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it doesn't work that way and is just for trying to delay the loading of the ml_local database but in most cases it doesn't make much of a difference because as soon as anything tries to access the library then it loads the ml_local database.

as for ml_playlists, the loading of the playlists is already on a partial delay but doing it too much leads to issues with re-selecting the last views for example.

most likely it's something dumb that i'm missing with the library's tree handling on how it deals with large numbers of items being added but at the moment, there's no time to look into it further than i've already done (and hopefully there was a bit of a noticeable improvement between 5.63 and the 5.7 beta with some of the changes that were able to be made).

DrO,

Thanks for even looking in to all of this. It was just an idea that sparked, but unfortunately, that won't work.
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:07   #27
DrO

was a good idea, just a shame we've already got it
Old 7th May 2013, 14:11   #28
djpete
Major Dude

My 2 cents worth here and sorry it is not very specific. I wasn't going to mention anything until I saw this thread or had better evidence...
I have had issues with the 5.7 betas and I think the latest 5.6 release too.
I run my setup lean, almost no plugins except for sqr crossfader, resumer, nsx big clock and playlist file remover. Also using Sound Blaster card. Classic skin. Running Laptop with ample ram etc. I have meta tag reading switched off too in in_mp3.dll settings.

When DJing and I do a search (around 20,000 tracks) whilst playing a song I get a popping sound through speakers. It stops when the search is complete.
As if the player is getting unnecessary load and about to go choppy with the sound because running out of ram. Never had this before.

It just made me wonder when I see this thread with a slow down issue.

I have posted this elsewhere (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=356750&page=7) and thought it was just the Beta but I still had the issue. I have now reverted to 5.62.

I have done some tests with just my small speaker setup and no noise but the real test will be my next gig in a week so will update if resolved.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 14:24   #29
DrO

this thread doesn't have anything to do with issues when searching, it's just about loading a large number of library playlists when Winamp starts (which has always been slow) so would have zero bearing on library searches.

personally i'd disable the other plug-ins and see if that made a difference (and i really don't trust the sqrsoft one based on it being one of the common ones to appear in the crash reports).

additionally, try upping the process priority in the preferences to see if that makes a difference. otherwise i've not seen the issue so cannot do anything to even look into it.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:31   #30
djpete
Major Dude

ok DrO. Will see if it plays up again next gig if so I will setup the whole thing in the garage and troubleshoot again. I really need the sqr and it hasn't let me down in 12 yrs. To be clear the noise is not when sqr is crossfading just when the search is happening in the media library. A pop or crackle for a sec or so.
Priority is at default: Normal

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 7th May 2013, 21:56   #31
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
is this a laptop and analog out? I frequently hear mechanical/electrical HD noise (via the jack) in such setups.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 23:00   #32
djpete
Major Dude

Mr Sinatra, yes it is analogue out on laptop but I have had HD noise before and it's not that type of noise, more just a pop.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th May 2013, 02:39   #33
djpete
Major Dude

Well I set it up in the garage today and after 30 mins of searching and going up and down the tree i couldn't get it to play up at all with version 5.62. The real test will be an all night gig.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th May 2013, 02:52   #34
DrO

but the thing was to try the options with the current build / beta i thought as yes most things are the same with 5.62, but that's almost 2 years behind the current code base in a number of areas. oh well, dunno why i bother at times to try to keep fixing things if people just resolutely stick on old versions due to specific plug-ins, etc *shrugs* v2.81 anyone??
Old 8th May 2013, 02:56   #35
djpete
Major Dude

I hear you Dr. I just want to make sure this fixes it first. After next gig if it's ok I will reinstall new beta and test again and try the tweaks you mentioned. I will.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th May 2013, 03:03   #36
DrO

you can install it side-by-side with the 'main' install to test it out. anyhoo, don't mind me, am just having a mini-rant at nothing important.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:06   #37
djpete
Major Dude

so just install in different folder yeah like winamp2?
If so I will play tomorrow with it. (The laptop too! lol)

And dont forget I run a web hosting company so I understand how you only ever hear when things go wrong. :-)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th May 2013, 03:29   #38
DrO

yes, a different folder like the 2.x days and has been what 5.x has also allowed to be done.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:32   #39
djpete
Major Dude

sorry I meant just install in a folder such as programs/winamp2.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th May 2013, 08:48   #40
djpete
Major Dude

Ok system all setup running latest beta. Nothing so far when testing, no noises at all. Will let it run for 5 hrs like typical gig and test again. Good old Murphy's Law, prob won't play up now...

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion