Old 5th April 2013, 00:07   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

Have Winamp only load the active output plug-in

Hi,

If possible, it would be good to have Winamp only load the active/selected output plug-in instead of all the output plug-ins installed, imo.

I know plug-ins must be designed to 'play nice' with the core Winamp code and the other plug-ins. But, my problem (minor inconvenience really) is that I use an output plug-in that lets Winamp operate in Exclusive Mode (i.e. the only app allowed to use the sound subsystem).

Since Winamp loads this plug-in, even when it is not selected as the active plug-in, it restricts the sound subsystem for it's use alone when set to Exclusive Mode, so another active/selected output plug-in is not able to use the sound subsystem.

I can work-a-round this problem by switching the plug-in to Shared Mode before selecting another output plug-in or I can switch to another output plug-in, shutdown Winamp, and disable the plug-in (rename it's extension) before restarting Winamp.

If Winamp only loaded the active/selected output plug-in, I would only need to select another output plug-in and restart Winamp. Only loading the active/selected output plug-in may also prevent conflicts with other, poorly written, output plug-ins installed. But for me, that is a secondary concern.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 00:26   #2
DrO

doing that is not a simple change and there's a number of reasons why it's not feasible which i probably cannot go into (plus i had already looked into this when you'd previously mentioned it) though the first killer is that you'd then have to restart Winamp everytime the output changed (which i know you're basically doing but that then penalises other uses).

the better (and likely easier) option would be notifying the output plug-in that it's being made the active plug-in or de-selected so one coded nicely to follow things would then be able to shut-down. this would require the output plug-in being updated to know about these methods (and more likely mean it becomes a 5.7+ only plug-in if it was to be done in time for that going final).

without messing up the output plug-in header, using an extra dll export would be the simplest way to implement this (as there's a lot of things assuming the size of output plug-in header to start messing around with that).

as there's already a message accessible via other plug-ins which have hooked the main Winamp window to know the output plug-in has been changed, but that's typically not something output plug-ins will be getting (though considering the UI aspects the maiko plug-in dumps into place, i wouldn't be surprised if it could already catch that though if it'd be stable is a different thing due to timing constraints).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 01:39   #3
DrO

looks like the callback aspect should be feasible based on a quick implementation attempt. so in the case that i think you're targetting, it would need a compatible maiko plug-in and a newer winamp.exe to achieve things (and off course details on what to implement in the plug-in).

there's probably some extra notification messages which may come through but due to how the input plug-ins interact (or not) with the output plug-ins, it shouldn't cause much of an issue in the output plug-in to be able to track and deal with the active state transitions as needed i.e. changing via the preferences is notified, but if Winamp is playing at the time, it won't really take effect until the next track is played.

though i still don't why an output plug-in needs to have a notification icon...
Old 5th April 2013, 04:46   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DrO,

Again I bow to your phenomenal memory. Sorry, I was thinking that I'd mentioned this before, but couldn't remember and didn't want to take the time needed to use the forum's awkward search feature. I'd rather waste my time than yours, so I'll try to use the search more often, going forward.

Anyway, I appreciate your looking at it again. I agree forcing a restart would be the least desirable way to officially deal with this. The Maiko dev did mention that he could deactivate his plug-in if he had some way to tell if it was selected or not. He has not been heard from for over 3 months, so it may not matter for Maiko. But providing a way for output plug-ins to know if they are selected may be useful down the road for him and other devs. I realize something like this will not be a quick fix/change, but I assume/hope this request could go on a maybe/could be list.

The notification icon shows which sound device and mode (exclusive/shared) Maiko is using and lets them be changed without having to go to the Winamp preferences dialog. The dev was talking about activating the mute feature listed on the icon's pop-up dialog, but I don't think that is needed because there are already several ways to mute the Winamp output. He was also talking about adding an option to hide the icon, which is also not needed because Windows versions since XP already provide a way to move notification icons off of the taskbar (although XP users may appreciate it).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 13:12   #5
DrO

had wondered if things had gone quiet with that plug-in. oh well, the next 5.7 beta should have the means to do what i've mentioned though without an updated plug-in to check it out (as there's no reason for the native output plug-ins to support it), then we're not really going to know how well the solution works or not.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist