Old 23rd July 2013, 15:12   #1
IcySon55

Browser Folder Dialog Focus and Initial Loading Issues

Winamp 5.64 (build 3418)
Clean install, no 3rd-party skins or plugins
Language Pack: German (Problem also occurs with English)
Skin: Bug occurs with all of Bento, Winamp Modern and Classic skins

Locale: English US
CPU: Intel i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz (4 cores)
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce GTS 450
Sound: On-board
DirectX 11

Problem:
From Winamp 5.63 to 5.64, it looks like you guys upgraded the Add Folder (Shift + L) dialogue. Sadly the new dialogue starts with focus set to the buttons and not the folders within the tree. Not to mention that it doesn't scroll to the previously added folder.

Method of Reproduction:
1. Start Winamp 5.63
2. Focus on the Playlist and press Shift + L
3. Notice that right away you have your previous folder highlighted and in focus.
4. You can then use the arrow keys and letters on the keyboard to quickly navigate your media library.

5. Start Winamp 5.64
2. Focus on the Playlist and press Shift + L
3. Notice that your previously added folder is highlighted but probably not scrolled down to and does not have focus.
4. You cannot use the arrow keys to begin navigating your library as all you can do from here is switch between the buttons at the bottom of the dialogue.
5. The only way to get into the tree is by pressing Shift + Tab twice followed by the right arrow key to scroll down to your previously added folder.

I've written applications in the past and I know this is no the fault of the Winamp guys. I know that the newer windows Folder dialogue control has these issues. Would you considering reverting to the old dialogue? I know it lacks a New Folder button but that's hardly a reason to lose so much user friendly functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wa5.63.png
Views:	226
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	50725   Click image for larger version

Name:	wa5.64.png
Views:	218
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	50726  
IcySon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:19   #2
DrO

the weird focusing thing only happens if you're using a modern skin it seems, just quickly tried with classic and modern and classic worked like 5.63.

and like you point out, we're basically restricted by what the OS is generally providing though we don't intend on reverting it to the 5.63 way as there were too many complaints that the dialogs could not be resized (which the style change resolves).

maybe there is something we can do to help things from our side but all i'll do is log this and see when time allows to review it again.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:12   #3
IcySon55

I just switched between Winamp Classic, Winamp Modern, and Bento in 5.64. All three exhibited the weird focusing issue as well as the scrolling issue. I did also note that the Bento version doesn't include the "Use original playlist" and "Available in the Cloud" checkboxes like the others do.

I think the best compromise here would be to make it an option. In Playlist preferences: "Use old Add Folder dialog?" as a checkbox.

I like to keep my Winamp up to date, but this one quirk will make me go nuts. I'll be forced to remain on 5.63 indefinitely if this isn't fixed.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:01   #4
DrO

we're not going to add such a config hack, it just complicates something that isn't needed. i realise that you're likely going to be on 5.63 forever (just like all of the 2.x stalwarts), but we had loads of complaints over the years for the lack of resizeability of the dialog which the change resolves.

as i said, i'm not seeing it under classic skins so clearly there must be something different going on between classic and modern skins (at least in my setup) which may help to determine what might be going on / what can be tried.

as for the cloud aspects, they should only be showing if you have the cloud aspects installed (which is unlikely from a 5.64 install) and as you mention using the german language pack, it's likely it's not up-to-date with cloud functionality in the version being used (which would be resolved once all of the cloud ui elements are finalised when 5.7 is out of beta).
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:25   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@IcySon55: Sometime progress means we loose a few things on the way to getting new toys. Two steps forward and one step back still means progress of a step forward.

BUT... there is an easy way to get your New Folder created within that dialog. Just RIGHT CLICK and select NEW -> FOLDER.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 18:16   #6
IcySon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
@IcySon55: Sometime progress means we loose a few things on the way to getting new toys. Two steps forward and one step back still means progress of a step forward.
This time it was about one step forward and four steps back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
BUT... there is an easy way to get your New Folder created within that dialog. Just RIGHT CLICK and select NEW -> FOLDER.
My issue never involved the New Folder functionality. It was completely about focus and scroll within the new dialog which fail miserably.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:24   #7
DrO

if it's really that much of an issue, create a plug-in to apply API hijacking on the OS calls for opening the browsefolder api and remove the style that way.
Old 25th August 2013, 13:52   #8
DrO

i have found a work around for the selection not being scrolled into view on loading (which will be in the next beta build). however the incorrect focus issue i no longer am seeing that either though i've not done anything towards that (and also checked without the scrolling into view fix).
Old 29th August 2013, 14:05   #9
IcySon55

Sounds promising. I've tried using MS's new version of that control myself quite a few times and could never get it to behave properly. Writing my own control would probably be the only solution to their frankly broken implementation.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports