Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Old 16th October 2013, 17:51   #1
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.0 (Build 147) 9th September 2014

This build is our new update and introduces new features as listed in the “Changes” section below, as well as addresses bugs reported in the previous build. It is recommended where possible to update to this build over any previous v2.x builds due to the stability and other compatibility improvements it provides.

This release is now available for the following platforms:
  • Windows 32-bit (Windows 2000 and up)
  • Windows 64-bit (Windows XP64 and up)
  • Linux
  • Linux 64-bit
  • Raspbian (Raspberry Pi)
  • Mac OS X (Intel)

Downloads

You can download the updated version of the DNAS from the main download page here for all of the supported versions.

Changes

Build 147 (9th September 2014):
  • Added support for the Radionomy advert and metrics platforms so you can earn money from overlaying some adverts on the stream and / or leveraging the online broadcasting tools from Radionomy (this is an opt-in feature and requires a Radionomy account - it does not prevent you using the DNAS like before)
  • Added 'publicip' to be used to specify a DNS / IP value to use for what the YP will see as your server address when 'destip' is used for binding against a non-public value e.g. anything in the loopback address range (see documentation for usage)
  • Added 'alternateports' which can be used to allow for client only connections on port(s) other than 'portbase' e.g. to deal with firewalls blocking client access on some networks
  • Added 'disableicy' to the options handled by the configuration reload action
  • Added 'rotateinterval' to allow for changing the time between automatic log rotations (default is 24 hours) and can be set to 0 to disable log rotation completely
  • Added basic command-line help into the DNAS itself (use /? or --help) which is based on the OS version being used without the need to consult the main documentation
  • Added better handling of the intro and backup files to ensure they match the stream format and will now reject files which do not match the bitrate
  • Changed 'disableicy=1' handling (default behaviour since 2.2.2) to allow 1.x clients which explicitly request in-stream metadata to still receive it e.g. VLC and foobar2000
  • Fixed crash when rotating the log and w3c files (this was mainly seen under Centova Cast installs) and some other log file handling refinements
  • Fixed authhash issues specific to the 2.2.2 release (mainly seen as a 462 error code when trying to use the management actions)
  • Fixed handling of unrecognised loopback addresses causing incorrect addresses in some of the DNAS responses e.g. the listen.* methods
  • Fixed MP3 intro files breaking stream playback (such as causing stuttering or just not playing anything else) when transitioning to the actual audio stream e.g. most Flash based players (this is an issue going all the way back to the v1.x DNAS!)
  • Fixed MP3 streams not starting on a full audio frame (this should improve client compatibility, more so with Flash based players)
  • Fixed the 'Block User Agent' column on the stream admin page not showing the correct action (it could be shown in the 'Reserve Client' in some cases)
  • Fixed repeated admin login prompt when trying to manage an authhash in some cases (mainly if having per-stream admin passwords)
  • Removed specific handling for the deprecated AOL shoutcast.com site / embeddable Flash player (that specific player is no longer officially supported hence removing support for it)
  • Other miscellaneous code changes, improvments and related documentation updates

Getting Started

If you already have a running instance of the 2.x DNAS then there should not be any issues with replacing your current version with this new version.

If this is a new install then make sure to read through the information in 'Readme_DNAS_Server.html' and the related documentation as well as considering using the setup mode which should make it easier to get started over all prior 2.x builds (and v1 based releases).

Finally, all current copies of the documentation are included with the installer / archive and is the recommended point of reference for this release. The information found online at http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_Broadcaster for the DNAS server only relates to the v2.0 (build 29) release (this will be updated soon).

Reporting Issues

If you do come across an issue with the DNAS, then please do post in this thread with as much information as possible about what you're doing at the time, the system you are using and anything else which will make it easier to understand what is or isn't going on with your install.

Posts relating to authhash management issues will be ignored as this is not the thread for posting such issues.

Known Issues

The following are known issues with the current 2.x DNAS release that are not currently fixed / fully confirmed as needing to be fixed (i.e. intended behaviour):
  1. The configuration builder has not been fully updated for this release i.e. not all new options are available. This will be resolved in a later update and does not affect most configuration aspects if this mode is used.
  2. Under sustained high numbers (1000's) of concurrent client connections, the DNAS server may in rare scenarios crash / segfault. This is primarily due to the networking methods currently used not scaling as well to the 1000s of concurrent client connections as desired compared to the need for more portable code between the platform builds. This requires completion of a networking stack re-write (no eta) and should not generally happen under most expected usage (most stations never break a few 100 concurrent listeners let alone 1000s at the same time).
  3. The change of 'disableicy' from 0 to 1 may cause some clients not to show the current title anymore. Setting disableicy=0 will allow the prior behaviour at the expense of breaking default compatibility with Flash and HTML5 audio players. See http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...08&postcount=7 for more on what you can do currently and what will be done in the 2.4.0 build.
  4. Some Centova setups experience a crash when the logs are rotated. For some using the Linux 32-bit version helps as the issue has only been seen with the Linux 64-bit release. This is due to incorrectly handling invalid log / w3c files and if you have any 0-byte files in your log folder, this issue is now fixed as of the 2.4.0 DNAS release.
  5. When attempting to update / remove an authhash, some installs will experience a 462 error (which is due to an issue with the integration of libcurl into the DNAS). Contact support with the authhash and the details you require to be changed. Additionally this may cause a failure to be listed or you will see generic 400 error messages.
  6. In some setups, disconnecting a source may cause the DNAS to crash - the probably cause of this has been identified but a fix still needs to be implemented.
  7. The advert and metrics code (when enabled) is new so there may be some minor issues so keep a look out for updated DNAS versions!
  8. In some setups, the YP connectivity may either fail to start or will randomly fail after an unspecified time. This is an implementation issue related to changing over to libcurl in 2.2.2. A fix will hopefully be available for the 2.4.1 update.

Discussion about the previous version of the server including changelogs can be found in the following threads

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 13:24   #2
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

*new version bump*

more information about the new monetisation features will follow soon, in the meanwhile see the press release for some information about it. and remember if you don't want to make use of it (when it's shortly made available) then you can keep using the DNAS in the same way as you've already been doing!

overall this build should have something for everyone from the new features to improving client compatibility (the intro file issue goes back to the 1.x DNAS!!) along with the general improvements and stability fixes to your broadcasting setup.

enjoy!

p.s. the mac build is not provided as it still needs to be completed and will follow soon (either as a 2.4.0 or with the next scheduled 2.4.1 update).

Old 9th September 2014, 17:36   #3
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

the Mac build has now been uploaded and the update flag will shortly be enabled for compatible DNAS builds (this will just notify via the admin, log and status pages there is an update available).

Old 9th September 2014, 20:11   #4
Bryon Stout

awesome. I intentionally skipped the last version. Ill try to get to this one asap.

StreamEdge Radio Network Content Management System - [Launching soon]
deephouselounge.com | drumandbasslounge.com | dubstepradio.fm | bassradio.fm | m3printing.com
Intel Xeon X3440 2.53GHz Quad-Core Server
8GB Ram - 30TB Bandwidth - 1Gbps Uplink
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 20:32   #5
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

and you said you were going to try out the prior version to see if it resolved the stability issues for you... tsk tsk

Old 10th September 2014, 01:56   #6
Bryon Stout

haha well after reading some issues other were having I opted out.

Spread too thin right now to deal with any issues (if any were to happen).

StreamEdge Radio Network Content Management System - [Launching soon]
deephouselounge.com | drumandbasslounge.com | dubstepradio.fm | bassradio.fm | m3printing.com
Intel Xeon X3440 2.53GHz Quad-Core Server
8GB Ram - 30TB Bandwidth - 1Gbps Uplink
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 09:21   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
this is great DrO

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:26   #8
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
haha well after reading some issues other were having I opted out.
some will always have issues with any update, hence why it's best to keep the prior DNAS program file around when updating incase you do need to roll back quickly.

as the main issue with the 2.2.2 release when upgrading an existing setup (for new installs it was a different issue with random authhash generation failures) was something that was easily fixed with a single configuration change.

Old 10th September 2014, 12:43   #9
Spanic

Update works great except MP3 stream playback is causing stuttering in Flash based players but as you said this is an issue going all the way back to the v1.x DNAS!

I had to roll back to previous version and flash players work ok.
Spanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 12:58   #10
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

the new version is meant to solve that issue (and does so with everything we've tried it against, especially IE which was never a good player with the pre-2.4 changes).

so if it's not working correctly with your setup (and this is assuming that it's not an issue from the source) then i need to know more information on what you're using (source, intro files, etc) and what specific players you are using to experience it.

also you need to remove the disableicy=0 option from the config file when using 2.4 as that will cause the in-stream metadata to be sent and that has always been shown to break Flash players, hence why disableicy=1 is the default (with it now being more automatic so it'll provide the in-stream metadata in that mode IF the client asks for it).

Old 10th September 2014, 13:10   #11
Spanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the new version is meant to solve that issue (and does so with everything we've tried it against, especially IE which was never a good player with the pre-2.4 changes).

so if it's not working correctly with your setup (and this is assuming that it's not an issue from the source) then i need to know more information on what you're using (source, intro files, etc) and what specific players you are using to experience it.

also you need to remove the disableicy=0 option from the config file when using 2.4 as that will cause the in-stream metadata to be sent and that has always been shown to break Flash players.

Yeap, you're right, I've removed disableicy=0 and flash player works fine now. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2014, 13:13   #12
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

this is why we changed the default behaviour in 2.2.2, is just a shame i made a mistake with the handling change in that release. but that's definitely one more reason for people to update to 2.4 from any of the prior DNAS releases

Old 13th September 2014, 00:22   #13
AJLeibengeist

Wasn't getting listed till this fixed it.

SHOUTcast wasn't able to see back into my network for the service to be registered. Worked on it for a while to no avail. Finally.....

I installed the new build and my issue of not getting listed went away. That just leaves me with one other problem to troubleshoot for now.
KOCK.rocks
AJLeibengeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 16:34   #14
Limman

Please compile FreeBSD version.
Limman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 16:47   #15
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

if one is provided (as you're now the 5th person to ask), it will generally be un-tested as BSD is just not something we tend to use (and is the same as applies for the Mac build).

it might return with the 2.4.1 update, but is still not guaranteed that it'll happen at this point in time (if it does, it'll be targeted at a BSD 8.x level as was provided prior to the sale).

Old 16th September 2014, 17:09   #16
Limman

Thanks for the quick response.
We are only 5 because most FreeBSD users install SHOUTcast from ports collection and not looking software updates at shoutcast.com and this forum. I and many other FreeBSD users will be wait 2.4.1 BSD version
Limman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 17:19   #17
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

maybe they do, maybe they don't. but as i'd already said in the 2.2.2 release thread, there's barely anyone using the BSD builds anyway. hence why we dropped it from the 2.2.2 & 2.4 releases as demand just isn't there for publically listed DNAS which is all we can know about.

now if those still using the 1.x BSD build would like to update then we'd probably look to ensure a BSD build is provided (and given a bit of testing as there's a reasonable number of them), but that seems to not be the case so far... as next there'll be someone asking for a current release for Sparc...

Old 16th September 2014, 23:37   #18
milosz

No YP

Without a connection to YP, the custom Android app for my stream fails. Since this latest version will not connect to YP on my Ubuntu 12.04 x86 1.3 (32-bit) server (virtualized under XEN) I have switched back to the previous version of sc_serv and cranked my MAXUSER down to 350. Had no problems handling 500 listeners from the latest/greatest sc_serv but I absolutely need a reliable connection to YP.
milosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 23:47   #19
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

is it doing like before with 2.2.2 for you where it would just randomly stop the YP updates after a number of hours ? if so then we've replicated the issue but are still trying to track down and fix the cause of the issue (which can only be attributed to changing over to libcurl - which has resolved all of the other YP issues we'd been seeing)i.

if not, i need a bit more to go on please (and hopefully without a few weeks delay in a response as that'll likely mean we're into the 2.4.2 dev cycle by then).

as even in that situation (YP down / no connectivity to it), the DNAS will still allow clients to connect (which is at odds with what you're saying). so i don't know what funkyness your app is doing but there is no reason for it not to be able to connect to the DNAS if you've got a DNAS that is up.

Old 17th September 2014, 01:03   #20
milosz

YP issues with latest build- MY BAD!

MY BAD!

I didn't see that there was a new Sept 9th 2014 release. My comments were about the previous latest/greatest.... so, never mind.

Will try the Sept 9th. release tomorrow.

And, yes, without YP the sc_serv that I previously had troubles with in terms of not connecting to YP, will still allow attachment and streaming to clients, but my dedicated Android app relies on YP to get the stream IP etc., so without YP the Android app has nothing to connect to, I should really just hard-code the stream IP address in the app but you know how it is finding time.....
Old 17th September 2014, 01:21   #21
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

it would be better for the app to use a DNS based address for the DNAS inside of it (if not already done - i can't remember what you've got setup but as you mention IP address, that's somewhat risky with how easily IP addresses can change) and use that either solely as the address it uses or as a backup if the YP is inaccessible for whatever reason (though if doing that, just hard-coding would be the better option).

Old 17th September 2014, 01:31   #22
milosz

The app uses a YP lookup. Only about 35 listeners use the app.

With a YP lookup the IP can change.....
Old 17th September 2014, 01:41   #23
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

well yes, that's why it's better to use a DNS address for things e.g. what i mean is the link to the DNAS should be my_site.com:8000 (and also ensuring the DNAS is correctly setup to use that via the destip &/or publicip options - which will accempt DNS values).

so it's doing that is what i meant so if the DNAS's IP address changes, you're still providing a working DNS address (as long as it's updated) which in the long term is far more portable and is why additional work since 2.2 and now 2.4 has been done to better ensure the DNAS can be configured with a valid DNS address to use instead of relying on IP addresses (which just aren't a good way of doing things for a long time).

Old 17th September 2014, 02:33   #24
milosz

Dns / ip

Hmmm, that's not exactly all clear to me, which I to say I understand what you are getting at, but not sure how the nuts and bolts of that would work in terms of the way my stuff is structured.

For example my_site.com - my HTML web server- is NOT on the same IP as my DNAS. DNAS is on one host, HTML is on another box altogether. So what I'd need to do is either consolidate my HTML and DNAS onto one server, then point my domain name at that server's IP... or I could buy another domain such as my_site_stream.com and point that at the DNAS' IP leaving my HTML server / DNS as it is.....

My HTML host is currently free $$ to me, but I cannot run the DNAS on that box, it's just an HTML hosting service. So I'd have to move my HTML over to the virtual machine where I run DNAS, then point my domain over to that IP. HOWEVER, it's kind of nice having the HTML running on another host - the cheap-n-cheerful virtual server on which I run DNAS has lower availability, seems a disc is always crashing and needing to be rebuilt over there, whilst my HTML host is very reliable. So when the stream server's XEN host is down I can post announcements on the HTML web page explaining the situation, with an uptime estimate etc. This happens about three times a year....
Old 17th September 2014, 11:08   #25
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I'd get another domain and point that at the VM or even see if you can get a sub-domain from the website e.g. stream.my_site.com and have that redirected to the VM / DNAS.

either way its just a suggestion to help against other issues now and down the road especially if the current VM you use is flakey and you want to move to a different one without breaking stream links when the change happens (hence a DNS address is better than just using an IP address as you can hide most back end changes).

Old 17th September 2014, 21:24   #26
milosz

Subdomain!

Yeah, a subdomain. I can do that. Never thought of that. Thanks Dr. O.

Certainly, I see the advantages to it.
Old 20th September 2014, 10:39   #27
milosz

Cannot connect to YP with latest version

I ddownloaded SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.0 (Build 147) 9th September 2014 version and ran the new sc_serv, immediately got
2014-09-20 05:28:13 ERROR [YP] Request [http://yp.shoutcast.com:80/yp2] failed, code: 2 [easy handle already used in multi handle]
Did not, will not connect to YP

Running 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 x86 1.3 on XEN

(Although since I run a relay as a secondary / capacity booster as well as the main server, I used an earlier sc_serv - maybe early 2014 vintage? - for the relay, and THIS connects to YP just fine.... so, my Android app- which relies on YP - works, and in fact my listing on YP shows the sum of all listeners on both the "main" and relay sc_serv's.

So this is a workaround for me, a real fix is less urgently needed by me. Which is a good thing. For ME. hahahaha
Old 21st September 2014, 10:40   #28
ThunderRoll

Since the new SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.0 my user agent don't work as entended,if i add a agent to the banned list it give a error "SHOUTcast 1 client connection rejected. Max users reached. "even though my slots not even full...also it's not blocking any agents they can still get in,i've tested it with my self and block "WinampMPEG/5.66, Ultravox/2.1" and i was still able to listen to my stream,i can't fix this because it's all from my host using the "Centova Cast "before my host done the update it was working as entended now after the new "SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.0" every thing is broken with the user agent block,it seem there is a BUG some where,but it's not blocking any agents and giving a error about slots FULL even though there not FULL..
ThunderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:47   #29
kosxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoll View Post
Since the new SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.0 my user agent don't work as entended,if i add a agent to the banned list it give a error "SHOUTcast 1 client connection rejected. Max users reached. "even though my slots not even full...also it's not blocking any agents they can still get in,i've tested it with my self and block "WinampMPEG/5.66, Ultravox/2.1" and i was still able to listen to my stream,i can't fix this because it's all from my host using the "Centova Cast "before my host done the update it was working as entended now after the new "SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.0" every thing is broken with the user agent block,it seem there is a BUG some where,but it's not blocking any agents and giving a error about slots FULL even though there not FULL..
Same problem with me with centova
kosxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:51   #30
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

milosz: it's the same issue you were seeing before and it's currently a b***h to replicate consistently to reproduce (as i tend to see it after 6-8hrs). we're hoping to get it resolved for 2.4.1.

ThunderRoll / kosxo: it will be looked into over the next 2 days and will follow-up if there's anything else needed from you.

Old 23rd September 2014, 04:18   #31
aron9forever

should the icy thing also fix html5 on android devices?
busting my nuts over here
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:59   #32
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

there's no need to have disableicy=0 in the DNAS's config file anymore and the default settings without that option present should allow any player which can cope with the MP3 stream (our AAC streams are generally not supported) to be able to play it.

Old 23rd September 2014, 12:39   #33
ThunderRoll

@DrO i hope this get fix soon,i want all those stream rippers off my radio
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:47   #34
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

you should still be able to ban them by IP as used to be the only other way for doing such things (seeing as the agent blocking was a new feature to 2.2.2/2.4).

Old 23rd September 2014, 12:51   #35
ThunderRoll

i banned by ip but they ip is changing from the 166.234. so they keep changing ip and coming back over and over,in the SHOUTcast DNAS banned ip don't let you banned from 166.234.* are not i will be able to stop them but the ip banned only let u subnet a banned from the 166.234.56.* this is why the usergent was doing a very good job before the latest update because they can change ip to the cows come home but the usergent they was not changing are just confused wth was going on lol..
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:54   #36
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

then you really would be better off applying a ban in the firewall rather than from the DNAS (though i take on the comment that a higher level ban would also be appropriate to support).

Old 23rd September 2014, 12:58   #37
ThunderRoll

I can't banned from the firewall because i don't have access to the host firewall are any thing on there end are not i will banned them that way like i do with my website...I'm paying a host that used "Centova Cast" so it's very hard to banned any other way this only way i can banned but the banned is not that effectived i have like over 200 banned from the same person that keep changing ip that start with 166.56* if i can banned them from 166. then my problem is solved but i can't..

Here is what i mean...you see how these rippers keep changin they ip but only after the 3rd #.

172.56.16.0 - Subnet ban - remove
172.56.23.0 - Subnet ban - remove
172.56.14.0 - Subnet ban - remove

66.87.129.173 - Subnet ban - remove
66.87.144.203 - Subnet ban - remove
66.87.82.246 - Subnet ban - remove
66.87.116.234 - Subnet ban - remove

80.215.230.60 - Subnet ban - remove
80.215.231.183 - Subnet ban - remove
80.215.132.0 - Subnet ban - remove
80.215.163.0 - Subnet ban - remove
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:01   #38
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

if you're using a service, then you should be asking them to help ban things at the firewall level (this is why you pay someone for a service so they can / will do such things for you).

i understand you want the feature to be working again and to have a fix asap (once i've determined what the problem is as i've not replicated it so far), but this is one of a number of issues in the current release that need to be worked out before a new update is officially provided (along with an additional features which need to be added like your IP banning suggestion).

Old 23rd September 2014, 13:06   #39
ThunderRoll

@DrO i'll wait to you find the issue and fix it,thx again for ur great service..
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:27   #40
Spanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoll View Post
I can't banned from the firewall because i don't have access to the host firewall are any thing on there end are not i will banned them that way like i do with my website...I'm paying a host that used "Centova Cast" so it's very hard to banned any other way this only way i can banned but the banned is not that effectived i have like over 200 banned from the same person that keep changing ip that start with 166.56* if i can banned them from 166. then my problem is solved but i can't..

Here is what i mean...you see how these rippers keep changin they ip but only after the 3rd #.

172.56.16.0 - Subnet ban - remove
172.56.23.0 - Subnet ban - remove
172.56.14.0 - Subnet ban - remove

66.87.129.173 - Subnet ban - remove
66.87.144.203 - Subnet ban - remove
66.87.82.246 - Subnet ban - remove
66.87.116.234 - Subnet ban - remove

80.215.230.60 - Subnet ban - remove
80.215.231.183 - Subnet ban - remove
80.215.132.0 - Subnet ban - remove
80.215.163.0 - Subnet ban - remove

I'm having exactly the same problem as I'm paying a host with centova and the same person is using all my listener slots (100) by applying various IPs. Host said he cannot do anything about it. Host suggested to ban the IPs but we're talking about 80 different IPs. I've tried and banned some of them but keep coming back always with different IPs so I've stopped banning as I had enough of this!!
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions