Old 15th July 2014, 03:13   #441
Stephen Strange

Thank you so much!

I have been a Winamp user for many years, a pro user for most of them. I have tried many other players. Some are good. None are near as good as Winamp. When I heard it was going away I made sure and downloaded the latest version, backed it up locally and even in my cloud storage (both the pc and android version) since I didn't want to loose it. It is so awesome and I had it set up just the way I like.
So, now to find out that someone else is taking up the reigns really pleases me. Winamp has so many features that I use all the time.
All of the above is true, but the main reason I am saying thank you right now is that I was a little nervous about installing your latest release (5.666). BUT! It installed perfectly. All my settings are the same. My visuals and layout stayed intact. It even recognized and acknowledged my pro key.
So, Good Job!
Stephen Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 09:42   #442
sorein

Yes, very very good job. It can't even assess the song length correctly, while ALL the other payers can. Besides... do we sense some satanism? Version 5.666? Seriously?

(Oh! And the installation comes with the malware/bloatware AVG PC Tuneup. Beware!)
sorein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 10:22   #443
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorein View Post
Yes, very very good job. It can't even assess the song length correctly, while ALL the other payers can.
it was all explained to you in depth why Winamp works the way it does when you give it crap files (which you seem to want to keep trolling about) as well as the solution.

Quote:
Besides... do we sense some satanism? Version 5.666? Seriously?
if you think its satanism then you are completely misguided and have never followed the Winamp release history all that clearly. it was a nod to the history of Winamp by people who care about the product.

Quote:
(Oh! And the installation comes with the malware/bloatware AVG PC Tuneup. Beware!)
then you've clearly downloaded a hacked version as none of the v5.66x installers have any form of bundled offers, toolbars, etc in them. though I doubt you'll believe me.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 11:53   #444
gpgaal

There are four things of which I have always been an admirer—a good cigar, a good woman, British science-fiction and Winamp. Needless to say, except for the lack of a decent cigar, the absence a good woman and the ever-declining quality of Doctor Who, I am very pleased. Long live Winamp!

[Reading this over, I believe I'm beginning to understand the reason for the absence of a good woman...]
gpgaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 14:56   #445
Raj_09

Hi to all you Winamp Developers,

I am grateful for all the feedback and the replies you provide on this forum. Winamp is a great product and I am as eager as any other fan for the new version.

Please however don't feel obliged to reply to messages from users who clearly want some attention and just trolling around (I'm referring to sorein here). Your time is too precious to waste on these guys. Keep the great work
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 15:00   #446
DrO

it deserved a reply as there were points of fallacy in the post which needed to be clarified as not being the case i.e. the bundling of malware which is definitely not present in the v5.66x installers (which was a specific thing done so if Winamp hadn't been sold, the last version wouldn't be full of crap for those who wanted to keep using it in the future).
Old 18th July 2014, 14:35   #447
DJ-Garybaldy

Looks like Winamp was sold By AOL at the right time......

I hear on twitter that News Corp is to make a bid for Time-warner who own AOL I believe....

Things could have been so different!

Proud user of RadioDJ v2.0.0 FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 05:25   #448
Mathias.uy

Hola, les dejo un bug de Winamp:

http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....1&d=1405744729

http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....3&d=1405742350

Me sucede desde el año pasado. En una captura se ve como arrastro el mp3 al Winamp y el mismo falla y en otra se vé como falla cuando la biblioteca escanea desde la opción "Add media to library..."

Al arrastrar a la lista de reproducción (antes de reproducir):

Esto sucede con algunos mp3 y sólo con Winamp pasa, como pueden ver en la foto, los demás todo ok:
http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....4&d=1405742833

http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....1&d=1405744729

Esto es lo que dice el Visual Studio 2010:

Call stack location:
msvcr90.dll!61311661()

Saludos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Translate
Hi, I left a bug in Winamp:
I happen since last year. In a snapshot, I drag the mp3 to Winamp and it fails. In another snapshot one sees as the library fails when scanning from the option "Add media to library ..." the problem is only with Winamp (see Snapshot) and some mp3. The problem is in my Desktop PC, my Notebook and any computer.

Visual Studio 2010 debug:
Call stack location:
msvcr90.dll! 61311661 ()

link of the mp3: https://www.mediafire.com/?s18as9gn6898p5o
Subí las capturas y algunos mp3 que causan el problema sólo en este reproductor.

El link de los mp3 que provocan el error (habían algunos más): https://www.mediafire.com/?s18as9gn6898p5o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug 2.png
Views:	892
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	51293   Click image for larger version

Name:	other players.png
Views:	521
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	51294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Falla al arrastrar.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	51296   Click image for larger version

Name:	play with Winamp.png
Views:	753
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	51297  
Mathias.uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 05:42   #449
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Mathias.uy

Make sure you've installed the in_mp3 update patch for 5.666
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 05:44   #450
Mathias.uy

¡Funcionó!

solved!
Mathias.uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 17:56   #451
bartgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@Mathias.uy

Make sure you've installed the in_mp3 update patch for 5.666
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates
Thank you for the tip, I installed the update and the unconquerable Winamp is working smoothly. I've loved this application for many years.
bartgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 01:36   #452
Spanky69

Spanky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:05   #453
vonkzilla

Well that was a roller coaster ride of emotions this morning.

Just re-installed winamp for the first time since the launch of the Iphone 3gs. after downloading and installing i got an error so ive been reading through forums that started up in 2012 about the closure of Winamp. i was a very very very sad sad man to read this. and then i made my way to the end of the forum and see its still being used today. not only being used but has been purchased and revived!

I am so pumped to go back to my roots and start using winamp once again. Looking forward to contributing to the community where i can and thank you to everyone who kept the forums, development, and everything else that needed to be done alive during those dark days.

Reason for going back to winamp, After my last blackberry died a friend gave me an iphone. that forced me to abandon winamp for itunes (one of the sadder days in my history) but now ive tossed my last iphone in the garbage in favor of windows 8 phone. I have shed the shackles of apple and am so happy to once again be living in the glory days of winamp.

winamp 5.666 with classic skin... aaahhhhhhh nostalgia how i love you.

Thank you EVERYONE!!!!!!!
vonkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 03:15   #454
ycavazin

Hey Winamp, a salute from Brazil!
ycavazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 08:41   #455
jaripako39

Availabilty

When will the program be ready for download? Is the Pro-program will also available? Please respond. Respectfully Submitted, James.
jaripako39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 12:22   #456
DrO

it will probably be at some point in early(ish) 2015 now and not by the end of 2014 as initially stated (which was always subject to change), though there is nothing stopping you from still using the current v5.666 build 3516 + 2 required plug-in patches (as from my signature) in the meanwhile.

as for pro, it will probably not be returning, with all existing pro functionality being made available to everyone. though that is subject to where it is possible to re-implement matching features e.g. h264 support can be made available to all now that the openh264 codec binary has been provided, though it is likely that some aspects (more likely the online related parts) will not be the same.

and i expect that point is likely to annoy some people and they'll likely demand a refund but i don't know how that could be done when we have no means to track pro versions anymore and all of the pro licenses were paid to AOL/partners at the time.
Old 24th July 2014, 14:29   #457
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
and i expect that point is likely to annoy some people and they'll likely demand a refund but i don't know how that could be done when we have no means to track pro versions anymore and all of the pro licenses were paid to AOL/partners at the time.
It can't. At least not by anyone from Radionomy or the current Winamp Team.
The Digital River account is dead and we no longer have access to the orders database.
Likewise with Winamp For Android Pro, AOL closed the Google Play account, so we no longer have access to the orders database.

In all aspects, being free is always best.
Free at last! :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 17:30   #458
ChiggyChiggy

Speaking of Winamp for Android, is that making a comeback around the time Winamp v6.xx does? Or is that a dead product now? There hasnt been any mention about it when it comes to new versions, and nothing whatsoever about its development. Or is that one now handled exclusively by Radionomy like it did with SHOUTcast?

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 17:50   #459
DrO

it's been said there will be mobile versions of things, what and how i don't know (as i'm primarily Winamp for Desktop client [though SHOUTcast is taking the focus currently] and the SHOUTcast tools [with help] / backend systems). i just can't remember what the eta for that would be (but is likely to be after the desktop iirc).

and there's no real exclusivity, we're all the same group, yes there's smaller groupings of things, but it's all under the same umbrella.
Old 24th July 2014, 22:04   #460
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I think this is terrific news! I always thought that the pay versions were counter productive to winamp being widely adopted, and a hindrance in development. great to hear! and if anyone complains about previously paying, its nonsense, b/c there was no promise that it would be forever, but more importantly, they are losing nothing! all that's happening is a change in the business model, and so now others are getting what they enjoyed for years. I'd be much more likely to want to pay for services via winamp now, like for instance some kind of cloud thing, (although I know its currently dead).

for me personally, if winamp were to include "accurate rip" in its feature set, I could actually consider ripping with winamp primarily, and not EAC. I still rip mostly to mp3, but an ALAC encoder would also be nice.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 10:04   #461
jaripako39

Tired of waiting

Common you guys - get off the dime - you are losing customers and money !!! Who is in charge and running this fiasco? - Respectfully Submitted, James R. Kowich
jaripako39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 10:30   #462
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I myself have time, very much time, and the next Winamp Version can be released also next year instead of this year.

I suggest also the possibilty for donations on a voluntary basis with various payment methods. Not everybody has a credit card or Pay Pal. Also PrePaid Cards should be possible.

I myself always use free versions and free accounts...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 11:18   #463
DrO

jaripako39:that comment is not fair and I'm being as open as I can be on what is going on with the desktop redevelopment (as that's what I am working on in addition to SHOUTcast).

do you know how much code needs to be reviewed and either rewritten or fixed or needs licensing agreements sorted out on it? I think not and it was never going to be possible to just slap radionomy in the credits and re-release Winamp.

there is nothing stopping people using v5.666 for the time being. so being told we are being lazy is not nice and unprovoked. or do you want a half-arsed release which doesn't have a massive chunk of functionality present and doesn't work right? as that's what you'd be getting right now if we took what is the current state of the internal builds.

and money is not the prime focus hence the dropping of pro and taking the time to do the update correctly and not a rushed mess which does more damage than good. if you are not happy with that then I'm sorry and it's unlikely you're going to be happy with the wait that will have to be before a new update.
Old 25th July 2014, 15:03   #464
Raj_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
I myself have time, very much time, and the next Winamp Version can be released also next year instead of this year.

I suggest also the possibilty for donations on a voluntary basis with various payment methods. Not everybody has a credit card or Pay Pal. Also PrePaid Cards should be possible.

I myself always use free versions and free accounts...
I second that and I am all in favour for a completely free version of Winamp.
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 15:53   #465
djpete
Major Dude

It does seem a long time from where we are looking in from, but when you put it like that DrO it makes sense. But I didn't know that (re licenses etc) and I'm sure a lot of others didn't either.
If just a small explanation was put out with a few pars as to why it will take some time then I am sure everyone would be more than happy with that. Even that sentence from you is enough to satisfy me and help me understand why the delay and what is involved.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 16:05   #466
DrO

when we can we have been saying something on here, but as we've already seen, the first initial idea of a new non-AOL release has already shifted into next year and that's not too helpful when you give updates that then change not long after being made.

and trying to sort out some aspects is just dragging on a lot longer than would liked which after a point means the plan needs to be changed again as then other dates start to conflict or change what is needed e.g. patent expiries or service requirements.

so at the moment, things are vague as there's a lot of unknowns and basing things on those is not helpful since as soon as we don't make it, people will get even crabbier.

so it most likely won't be until we're a lot further down the road that we'll be able to give a more definitive eta. and even then things will slip as that's just what happens as you can plan things as much as you like, there are always unknowns that'll crop up (like the additional work i'm doing on SHOUTcast which is needed to improve things for the new site and API and needed tooling updates - which takes time out from working on Winamp but then something needs to be up and running to be able to a) pay the bills and b) allow us to make Winamp into a fully free option which requires point 'a' to be true).

which is why comments such as the one made by jaripako39 are not helpful and like i mention above, a number of aspects are in others hands at the moment, so even if we had a working version, we wouldn't be able to provide it (just like how and why we're not allowed to officially host the downloads).
Old 25th July 2014, 16:12   #467
djpete
Major Dude

Well the picture behind the scenes is a lot clearer for me now so. And as you say latest version is great in any case. We can be an ungrateful bunch. We want it all and we want it now. :-)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 25th July 2014, 16:21   #468
DrO

i know people want updates (and usually want it yesterday), but we're only just 7.5 months since the last release was made, which based on previous intervals between desktop releases is not that long at all.

sure we might be looking at one of the longest (or possibly) longest interval between desktop updates, but it's not like 5.666 doesn't work (as long as the update patches are applied) and most other issues are long standing or can be worked around if needed (as has generally been the case).

so definitely it'd be nice to have new a version (especially with just the improvements i've documented earlier in this thread - as i don't like going back to testing in my 5.666 install compared to my dev install as the dev install is just a lot quicker on loading), but if it's not done correctly (re: licensing, etc) then that's not going to look good for us or be good for anyone else involved with things.
Old 25th July 2014, 16:31   #469
djpete
Major Dude

Well I'm going to add a few pars explaining all this for the Winamp Enthusiasts Group as I'm sure a lot of people just wouldn't have taken any of this into account. At least they will then have a general reason as to why things seem to have slowed or stopped.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 25th July 2014, 20:03   #470
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I have been kind of surprised by the seeming impatience out there, b/c as DrO says, there have been much longer intervals before. I think it may be due by the current need to patch it, at least in some cases, b/c casual users won't even know until they come to the forum.

which gives me an idea! DrO, how about a "node" in the nav tree called "Winamp News" or something like that which basically would be (as one possibility) an RSS feed that would let users know a message is available from the devs or management concerning the app or whatever? this would be a great way to say "dl this patch" or "there is a new version"

my patched 5.666 is working just fine though. its problems are all mostly legacy ones, and while I'm sure some will be addressed by the new ver I expect it to be much the same, save for under the hood improvements as well as going pro to free, which is worthy in its own right. i'll of course upgrade as soon as I see it out there, but I am content to wait and give the Dev[s?] all the time they want.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 02:43   #471
Stephen Strange

Thanks again.

After perusing this thread, I just want to state again how happy I am to have Winamp supported again and worked on or improved.
I know I might be a clam amongst a sea of crabs, but there it is.
Besides, what is there it loose? If this doesn't work out for me (and I have no reason to think that) then I will just go back to my original Winamp final saved versions and no problem. I paid for a pro key way back when, but so what? I did it more to support the developers than to get features, although there are some features I definitely use.

Some people just like to complain I guess.

Stephen Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 05:41   #472
Calrobowiz

Avs

No to sure if there is a thread on this or maybe it has all ready been discussed, but will AVS be updated? AVS is quite unstable on the last few PCs I have built since about 2009 or so. Well it works fine for awhile, but after an hour or so of running AVS it locks up winamp. I love AVS and it makes me want to do some drugs and such but the mathematical art that goes into creating "presets" is what is so intriguing to me. It may help if you actually know math but I made some bad ass squiggly seizure lines by typing in some random numbers back in ye old high school times. I miss el-vis. Must be in los Vegas. But no really I hope that project will keep going on. Don't let AVS die.

On as Side note I love to see winamp not going to waste. It seems to be in good hands and please do take your time in redevelopment, We don't need another winamp 3. Please keep it up. I love it. Period. Well Even though the fucking track length is off by at least a hundredth of a Nano second. Just as a warning if you download winamp, your pc may be able to play mp3s while using little system resources. What cleans up troll blood the best?

Calrobowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 00:01   #473
wernerml

YEAH! This is a MUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhalo View Post
Ultimate ML Plugin:
http://winampheritage.com/mlplugin/i...p?p=umlp-about

I beg of you... if there's any future development of Winamp...
please integrate this type of file browser into the core software.

Please, please, please expand on this basic usability concept.
YEAH!!! for me it's a MUST!
it has to be done!!!
wernerml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 00:13   #474
DrO

Calrobowiz: AVS was open sourced years ago, there's been little interest (or skills) in working on it and based on it not working on anything after XP all that well (since that's the last OS which supports everything it needs), then you could say AVS is already dead and has been that way for a long time.

it's not been the default visualisation plug-in in Winamp for years and unless it could be changed to not rely on DirectDraw (which is likely to be a pain to do even if someone wanted to do it), AVS is unlikely to ever see anything much more in its future. even the version which Justin created wasn't liked by the AVS stalwarts and if his version isn't liked, there's no chance for anyone else.

that and the fallacies that to get AVS to work correctly requires v5.58 (which is a load of tripe as it's just the AVS version at fault and not the Winamp version), the most you're going to see happen with AVS is it's maintained as a separate download for those wanting it, but it is very unlikely now that AVS will remain in the full Winamp installer (it's not stable, and that's not what should be present in the main installer).

wernerml: if there is already a working plug-in, then it doesn't necessarily need to be natively done, (and as has been covered already) there's a hell of a lot of other things that need to be done before such things could even be considered.
Old 28th July 2014, 04:23   #475
Calrobowiz

Ah Nice good to know. I was kind of wondering why it didn't run to well for awhile now. Makes since because I noticed once vista came out but it was vista...

Calrobowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 07:32   #476
LlamaLadySG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOAL View Post
Click the backside of the first llama on the page.
That is not a llama sound; llamas don't bleat. Llamas make a wide variety of noises, the most common of which is a hum, whine, or groan (depending on the pitch). They also have a unique alarm call (rather like a cross between a whinny and a bray) and the males "orgle" constantly while mating (which may last as long as 45 minutes. When fighting, the males make the type of sound one might imagine an angry dinosaur would make. A variety of llama sound clips can be found at http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Llama_sounds_audio. Frankly, the only reason I've stuck with Winamp (and it is losing ground on ability to subscribe to podcasts), is because of the llama logo. I hope the new improved Winamp will be more robust and use a more standardized means of allowing one to subscribe to podcasts. I really don't want to switch to iTunes.
LlamaLadySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 07:57   #477
Aminifu
Forum King

Wow, a real llama expert.

I'm confident any podcast issues will be looked into when time allows.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 10:17   #478
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLadySG View Post
Frankly, the only reason I've stuck with Winamp (and it is losing ground on ability to subscribe to podcasts), is because of the llama logo. I hope the new improved Winamp will be more robust and use a more standardized means of allowing one to subscribe to podcasts. I really don't want to switch to iTunes.
you'll need to provide examples of podcasts that you are having issues with. as only RSS versions are supported so maybe its one of the other formats which you're trying to add but without an example link I cannot be used if its expected to not import or if you've stumbled upon an unknown bug.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:30   #479
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
you'll need to provide examples of podcasts that you are having issues with. as only RSS versions are supported so maybe its one of the other formats which you're trying to add but without an example link I cannot be used if its expected to not import or if you've stumbled upon an unknown bug.
Since we are on the subject...
I use Winamp for all of my RSS podcasts. But I have noticed that sometimes winamp doesn't pull over the metadata that is in the podcast. If I download that same podcast from Itunes, the file has metadata in it. (artist, title, notes etc.)
Currently I am at work so I don't have a specific example for you, but I will have one later if you need it. Plus I don't know if this is just me or everyone.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 23:57   #480
CaptainPedge

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better DrO, I am a pro owner, and I assumed when I bought it, that my license was for v5 and when 6.00 eventually came alone I'd have to pay again. I am completely not upset about the new version being one version and getting everything without paying more
CaptainPedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion