Old 22nd June 2014, 21:29   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
BUG? file crashes winamp

so I'm screwing around trying to figure out how to get audacity to export directly to ALAC, and while experimenting I create a file, DL here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn0fhg6wll...-%20Copy1.flac

now, the file is probably junk, worthless, but the issue is that in simply trying to play it via double click in windows explorer, winamp automatically crashes immediately.

so I figured this is some kind of handling bug, as the error should be more graceful, yes?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:02   #2
DrO
Winamp Team

correct it shouldn't crash, but as its crashing somewhere in libflac (i don't have debug builds available to pin-point the cause), other than getting libflac fixed, little can really be done on the Winamp side.

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:54   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

I am asking b/c idk, but r u saying that the flac plugin is not coded by winamp? I'm just trying to understand what you mean exactly...?

--
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:05   #4
DrO
Winamp Team

simple answer:

it's someone else's code crashing and Winamp cannot recover from that (i.e. it's just the same as the old Gracenote issues).

long answer:

in_flac.dll - Winamp plug-in
libflac.dll / libflac library- xiph provided library which in_flac.dll uses for all of the decoding of the flac files.

it's the libflac part i.e. the external / 3rd party library where the crash happens and since it crashes in that, there's little that Winamp / in_flac.dll can really do to handle a crash which is effectively outside of our control.

since the libflac source code is available, a possible patch could be provided, but without further research and time, for all i know it's already been fixed already with the updates made since libflac v1.3.0 was released (as per the changes shown in https://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=shortlog). or it will still require debugging and making a custom patch.

at times i really regret trying to explain things further as really it shouldn't matter as whatever a 3rd party library does or doesn't do, it's Winamp that gets the blame for the crash and trying to dumb down what's actually going on is just more confusing in the long run (especially for a non-coded like yourself).

Old 23rd June 2014, 12:20   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

its true I'm a non-coder, but I do understand your answer. I have np in a case like this, of taking the issue to THOSE devs, since its their code that's faulty, and trying to get them to fix the bug. I think most devs appreciate being made aware of bugs, as long as the user is correct that there really is a bug, and they aren't just wasting the devs time on an issue that may be invalid.

so, I will try to file a bug with xiph and link it to this thread.

thx.

in other news, the audacity folks fixed their docs due to my post and have given instruction so I should be able to make ALACs. i'll have to try:

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewto...p?f=50&t=79649

--
Old 25th June 2014, 09:08   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

I was able to export to ALAC once they fixed their docs, very cool.

I also posted a bug at the FLAC folks, see here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flac/bugs/414/

--
Old 25th June 2014, 19:00   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

so the bug has gotten some response, they are blaming winamp.

your take?

--
Old 25th June 2014, 19:20   #8
DrO
Winamp Team

my take is that i've got too much to do before spending any real time on this.

i can only go on what happened when i ran it under the debugger and it showed as happening inside of libflac. if it's due to in_flac.dll doing something wrong with it what tries to pass onto libflac then i don't know without properly looking. though i wasn't getting a divide by zero crash, so that might be from doing it with the internal build (which is using the same version of libflac and same compiler)

either way, it's agreed that your file is / was crap.

and we are using a self-compiled version of libflac v1.3.0 (as of v5.64).

and if i'd realised you'd go and file a bug report, i'd have done my best to stop you from doing it as there's no point in filing a bug report until it's been fully triaged on our side as a starting point. and it now makes us look stupid and has wasted people's time before what should be done (triaging it directly) has had a chance of being done.

Old 25th June 2014, 19:34   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
my take is that i've got too much to do before spending any real time on this.

i can only go on what happened when i ran it under the debugger and it showed as happening inside of libflac. if it's due to in_flac.dll doing something wrong with it what tries to pass onto libflac then i don't know without properly looking. though i wasn't getting a divide by zero crash, so that might be from doing it with the internal build (which is using the same version of libflac and same compiler)

either way, it's agreed that your file is / was crap.

and we are using a self-compiled version of libflac v1.3.0 (as of v5.64).
np.

Quote:
and if i'd realised you'd go and file a bug report, i'd have done my best to stop you from doing it as there's no point in filing a bug report until it's been fully triaged on our side as a starting point. and it now makes us look stupid and has wasted people's time before what should be done (triaging it directly) has had a chance of being done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I have np in a case like this, of taking the issue to THOSE devs, since its their code that's faulty, and trying to get them to fix the bug. I think most devs appreciate being made aware of bugs, as long as the user is correct that there really is a bug, and they aren't just wasting the devs time on an issue that may be invalid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
so, I will try to file a bug with xiph and link it to this thread.
you really need to stop being so hostile to me. just b/c i don't genuflect with every comment and kiss the ring, doesn't mean I'm your enemy. and furthermore i didn't say or do anything that wasn't public in this thread to begin with.

besides, maybe they are wrong? if u didn't see that error, maybe it is their code. either way, its hardly a waste of time or making anyone look stupid, its just a bug that needs squashed. that's the goal, is it not? its not a waste of time to try to do that imo.

--
Old 25th June 2014, 19:40   #10
DrO
Winamp Team

how you recently had a go at KaiserD2 for not providing everything, well that's what you've managed to achieve yourself by not allowing things to be correctly triaged before running off and reporting something and it's my fault for not seeing you posts saying you were doing just that. and it's a bug that needs to be fixed after determining the correct point of the issue which is not possible currently. either way i'm now done with trying to deal with you.

Old 25th June 2014, 19:50   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
how you recently had a go at KaiserD2 for not providing everything, well that's what you've managed to achieve yourself by not allowing things to be correctly triaged before running off and reporting something
what indication did i have that's the case? and how is telling Kaiser to read stickies, which you tell others to do, the same thing? where is what i did even covered in the stickies? how is following the rules having a go at him to begin with?

Quote:
and it's my fault for not seeing you posts saying you were doing just that. and it's a bug that needs to be fixed after determining the correct point of the issue which is not possible currently. either way i'm now done with trying to deal with you.
and again you are hostile! how about, "gee, i twice missed you saying that, sorry for having a go at you when i could have stopped you."

just for the record, had you said "don't file a bug we need to triage first" i would not have.

DrO, i want to be HELPFUL to you. please stop being so hostile to me. when i report this bug here in winamp, its to help. when i do it there its to help. I'm sorry you missed what i wrote, but the intentions are noble. you get all bent out of shape for no reason, its lunacy.

--
Old 26th June 2014, 15:43   #12
ChiggyChiggy

The thing about that file is that literally NOTHING can play it, MPC-HC, AIMP3, VLC, WMP, you name, it just wont.

Infact, MediaInfo doesnt even recognize the file as a a media file to begin with o.O Trying to play this file is like playing a .exe that got its extension renamed to .mp3 lol.

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 16:15   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

The point is this file causes Winamp to crash, while the other apps just ignore it.

MrS is blessed (or cursed) with the ability to find (or create) stuff that has this affect on Winamp.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 21:58   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

interesting to see the post at the bug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO
This issue can be closed as it was (as lvqcl correctly noted) an issue with the handling of the bad file inside of in_flac.dll and not libflac.

It just didn't show up correctly in the very brief inspection i'd done at the time (which was not a which incorrectly showed it was crashing in the libflac code with a different issue (which was due to a mixed local compile of the Winamp release at the time).

Our in_flac.dll will be updated accordingly to fix this issue for our next client release. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by the premature bug report before it had been fully triaged on our side.
so my question is whats a mixed local compile? just kinda confused by the part in bold.

I also wonder if perhaps libflac does have a bug... it just sounds as if the results of your testing and theirs don't match even when taking the plugin bug into account.

I do appreciate, very much, your time and efforts to further bulletproof winamp.

--
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
bug, crash, handling