Old 6th April 2015, 11:19   #1
srasmus

Degraded sound quality

Hello everyone

I recently made the grown up decision to get rid of Apple software and hardware forever. I then converted all my music into WMA format and got Winamp as my primary music player.

My issue is - and this may be a configuration setting - that "out of the box" when using Winamp, the sound quality is somewhat degraded compared to when I use Windows Media Player.

With "degraded" i mean that the sound doesn't have the full headroom, and some frequencies are only very Little evident.

I tried messing with the EQ settings, and while this does change the overall EQ, the sound is still missing the headroom. I'm using the same Sennheiser headphones as always, and the built-in sound Card of my computer.

Any advice or ideas? Maybe it's a Replay Gain thing?

Will be glad to hear your feedback :-)

Best regards
srasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:27   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasmus View Post
Any advice or ideas? Maybe it's a Replay Gain thing?
If you used Winamp to set the Replay Gain values, then it may be that since Winamp's version of RG produces a 'softer' sound. See if there is any difference with RG disabled (look in the General Preferences - Playback options).

In any case, different apps use different default equalization settings (if any) so they are not going to sound the same 'out of the box'. If adjusting Winamp's built-in equalizer doesn't help, you could try Winamp's or a 3rd party DSP plug-in. Many users like "Enhancer". I'm using the free version of "Stereo Tool". It's a lot harder to set up, but provides very good results, imo. There are a lot of user provided presets available on Stereo Tool's website forum.

When equalizing, it sometimes helps to slightly reduce adjacent frequency bands instead of increasing the target frequency band(s) to bring out the target frequencies. Small increases and/or decreases work better than large ones. Changes in overall volume levels will also affect the results, but be careful with volume when using headphones (try to stay on the low end, keep it only as high as needed). Give yourself time for your ears to adjust before increasing the volume.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 18:59   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

When adjusting Winamp's equalizer, try changing it's configuration options (look in the General Preferences - Playback options) as well as the preamp and frequency band volume controls.

It is hard to make precise preamp and frequency band volume changes with a mouse. It is better to shutdown Winamp and edit the corresponding values in the "winamp.ini" file ("preamp=" and "eq_data=") . Always make a backup of the original winamp.ini file before making any changes.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 11th April 2015, 18:17   #4
srasmus

Hello

Thanks so much for your reply.

I've been EQ'ing Again and gotten some better results now.

Only thing I don't completely understand is the replay gain and how to apply it?

Should you apply it when you import media, and/or is there any way of applying it for existing files? And perhaps getting rid of it again?

Sorry if this question is dumb, I'm just really kean on knowing :-)

Thanks Again for your feedback.

Regards
Old 11th April 2015, 21:45   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasmus View Post
Only thing I don't completely understand is the replay gain and how to apply it?
Try reading this article I wrote a few years ago (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345520). If you still have questions, post them.

Old 11th April 2015, 23:08   #6
hajivitra

nice information
good
hajivitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 11:27   #7
srasmus

Hey Aminifu

Thanks very much for the link, it very useful :-)

Have a good day!

Regards
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support