Old 3rd June 2015, 11:26   #1
saxpiano
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Support for Windows 10??

Hi,
Do you plan to make Winamp compatible with Windows 10? I signed up to download Windows 10 around August 2015, although I currently have Windows 7. Will Winamp stop working once I download Windows 10??
Thanks
saxpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:39   #2
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
as long as you're using the current patched version then it already runs on the Windows 10 preview as well as it does on Windows 8.x and Windows 7 and so on - so it should be fine on Windows 10. it just won't leverage any of the window snapping aspects, etc but that's an inherent issue due to being custom skinned (but that's a bigger issue to ever see 'resolved').
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:25   #3
Stone Free
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 107
How do you tell if you have the 'patched version'? I know I have 5.666, but no idea if that is the patched version.

What benefits does this patched version bring? Does it remove gracenote seeing as that no longer works?
Stone Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:28   #4
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
if it says 5.666 build 3516 in the about dialog and you've got in_mp3.dll 4.103 (that's the simplest way to determine if it's patched). http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/ details what's different about the patched installer vs the last official release. the benefit is that it's patched to resolve the main crash issues present in the official build 3516.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 20:43   #5
Alcahest
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if it says 5.666 build 3516 in the about dialog and you've got in_mp3.dll 4.103 (that's the simplest way to determine if it's patched). http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/ details what's different about the patched installer vs the last official release. the benefit is that it's patched to resolve the main crash issues present in the official build 3516.
in_mp3.dll 4.103 are you sure?
I have 4.104 here..
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 20:46   #6
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
4.104 is the buggy version, so yes I'm correct as i'm the one that screwed up that last in_mp3.dll.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 20:55   #7
Alcahest
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 72
oh thank you.
Could you confirm the correct md5 for the fixed/patched in_mp3.dll 4.103 is:
E7D2AD057BA1B5E78D07C0A51464F8A7
?
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:04   #8
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
i never kept that information. you're better off just running the patched Winamp installer and that'll sort out the few other things that got patched (in_mp3 wasn't the only thing, hence why I said the "simplest way" a few posts up).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:18   #9
Alcahest
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 72
Hmm can't you compute it, I assumed everyone had a MD5 calculator in this day and age ^^;
I'm wondering because you say "patched" version, but it seems 4.103 is just an old version of the dll. (unless the old 4.103 itself has been patched?)
I'm using a super streamlined Lite version and would rather avoid using any installer. (why oh why do you distribute the standalone as an exe (in_mp3__4_103__winamp5666_3512.exe) instead of a simple zip..)
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:29   #10
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
because i'm in the middle of doing other things and cba to calculate it (as it means downloading / installing Winamp to check / calculate it).

4.103 is as it was provided from build 3512 so was not altered from that. it's referred to as the 'patch' because it does patch the issue of in_mp3 crashing as 4.104 experiences due to a one-line code change (done to resolve a memory issue that back-fired).

and why an exe and not a zip, because the point was providing something aimed at those who don't have the skills to determine where Winamp is, etc. and because I like annoying Winamp users because i'm evil. you can always use 7-zip to extract the dll from the installer.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:50   #11
Alcahest
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
because i'm in the middle of doing other things and cba to calculate it (as it means downloading / installing Winamp to check / calculate it).
Oh ok no worries.

Quote:
4.103 is as it was provided from build 3512 so was not altered from that. it's referred to as the 'patch' because it does patch the issue of in_mp3 crashing as 4.104 experiences due to a one-line code change (done to resolve a memory issue that back-fired).
Roger that.
So in 4.103 the memory issue is still there?
As 4.014 NEVER made Winamp crash here, and i've been using it daily since installing 5.666 build 3516 the day it was released, I wonder if I really should fix anything..

Quote:
and why an exe and not a zip, because the point was providing something aimed at those who don't have the skills to determine where Winamp is, etc. and because I like annoying Winamp users because i'm evil. you can always use 7-zip to extract the dll from the installer.
hahah you demon! ;]
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 21:54   #12
DrO
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
So in 4.103 the memory issue is still there?
no, 4.104 introduced the issue, 4.103 did not have the issue, hence 4.103 is the fix for the 4.104 issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
As 4.014 NEVER made Winamp crash here, and i've been using it daily since installing 5.666 build 3516 the day it was released, I wonder if I really should fix anything..
if it's not crashing then don't change it and just means your ID3v2.x tags are in good condition (as bad tags can trigger the 4.104 dll to crash).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 22:04   #13
Alcahest
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
no, 4.104 introduced the issue, 4.103 did not have the issue, hence 4.103 is the fix for the 4.104 issue.
yes, you're talking about the id3v2 crash issue. I get that 4.103 doesn't have it.
But you say "4.104 (..) (done to resolve a memory issue that back-fired)".
So 4.103 has a memory issue it seems..

Quote:
if it's not crashing then don't change it and just means your ID3v2.x tags are in good condition (as bad tags can trigger the 4.104 dll to crash).
Yes so far so good.
Thank you for your time and explanations.
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 20:39   #14
djnforce9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Now that Windows 10 is out, I can say yes; Winamp works perfectly well with it just like Windows 7 and 8/8.1. This is truly the only piece of software that has always ran reliably right from old Windows 95 to now Windows 10. Likewise, it's never become obsolete for me because nothing out there can touch the amount of functionality it has.
djnforce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 18:06   #15
Solution-Design
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
In WinAmp 5666 I have problems with streaming. http://195.154.166.226:8020/listen1.mp3 is a hard to reach radio station. Very often buffer underflow and demolition of the stream. WinAmp 2.91c and Windows Media Player does not have any problems. Enlarge buffer does not help. Also switching to in_mp3.dll Version 4.104 has not helped. Only Version 2.91c in_mp3.dll (copy to plugin folder WinAmp 5,666) from WinAmp 2 runs perfectly. Clean Windows 10 pro-Install, without Defender. Only Adobe Suite 2015, Office 2016pro, cFos Speed 10.10, Malwarebytes and Steam is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In_mp3-dll_2.91c.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	52184  
Solution-Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 01:02   #16
annaxanderson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
windows 10 download at mywinamp?

Is this the genuine winamp for windows 10 version?
http://www.mywinamp.com/winamp-for-windows-10-download/
annaxanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 01:26   #17
ryerman
Major Dude
 
ryerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaxanderson View Post
Is this the genuine winamp for windows 10 version?
http://www.mywinamp.com/winamp-for-windows-10-download/
Who knows? But why take a chance?
Use this link: http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 03:44   #18
pbelkner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
You may also consider this one (by DrO): http://winampplugins.co.uk/Winamp/index.html
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:13   #19
Andalando
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 17
I am on Windows 8.1 right now. I can use Winamp on my laptop which is set up by Windows 8.1?
Andalando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:14   #20
Andalando
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaxanderson View Post
Is this the genuine winamp for windows 10 version?
http://www.mywinamp.com/winamp-for-windows-10-download/
Can you share me a link for Windows 8? I need this immediately. Thanks!
Andalando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 19:00   #21
andy234
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
After installing Winamp 5.666 onto Windows 10, it works just fine. However, if I leave my computer on overnight, even after closing out all programs, I always wake up to a frozen Blue Screen Of Death and must force a computer restart. When I uninstall Winamp & leave my computer on overnight, BSOD's are gone. Thoughts?
andy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 17:03   #22
Aminifu
Forum King
 
Aminifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,620
It is hard to believe that some time after you shut Winamp down, it is causing a BSOD. Are you sure Winamp shutdown? Check in the Task Manager to be sure that the winamp.exe process actually closed.

If it didn't, then you may have a 3rd party plug-in installed that is preventing Winamp from completely shutting down (even though it disappears from your screen). You could use the Winamp Info Tool (http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/infotool/) to make an extended report of your Winamp configuration and attach the zip file containing the report to a post.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
development, support, wndows 10

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump